Bring back the old featured topic algorithm!

Before the Waypoint update from about a month ago, there was another way that topics would get featured. It was all based on how many replies the thread had, and how often people replied to them. There even used to be featured topics for the different forum tabs like the community and game tabs.

Now with the new featured topic system, we have to wait for the monitors or the devs to find popular topics to feature. Also one thing that I’ve noticed is that there are only positive threads that get featured. You never see threads based off of bringing problems to light, you never see things that provide constructive criticism, you never see people talk about ways to change Halo for the good. The only featured topics I see are ones that either praise 343i about something, or a question asking what you like more in Halo 5.

Also, I can’t tell if this is a direct cause and affect of the update, but I’m starting to see more and more threads get locked and get redirected to another thread because they either look like they could be posted in there instead of making a new thread, or because the thread is very similar to another one.

Thread locking is done manually by monitors, so if there has been an increase in forum moderation, it wouldn’t be because of the update; it would be because the monitors are working harder.

> 2533274925727172;1:
> Before the Waypoint update from about a month ago, there was another way that topics would get featured. It was all based on how many replies the thread had, and how often people replied to them. There even used to be featured topics for the different forum tabs like the community and game tabs.
>
> Now with the new featured topic system, we have to wait for the monitors or the devs to find popular topics to feature. Also one thing that I’ve noticed is that there are only positive threads that get featured. You never see threads based off of bringing problems to light, you never see things that provide constructive criticism, you never see people talk about ways to change Halo for the good. The only featured topics I see are ones that either praise 343i about something, or a question asking what you like more in Halo 5.

You could always voice your concerns here.

• 343 does the choosing not the monitors

> 2533274925727172;2:
> Also, I can’t tell if this is a direct cause and affect of the update, but I’m starting to see more and more threads get locked and get redirected to another thread because they either look like they could be posted in there instead of making a new thread, or because the thread is very similar to another one.

I haven’t noticed any uptick like that, perhaps the change in the way featured topics are chosen has caused you to explore the forum more and thus take more notice of things that were always happening.

> 2533274925727172;1:
> Before the Waypoint update from about a month ago, there was another way that topics would get featured. It was all based on how many replies the thread had, and how often people replied to them. There even used to be featured topics for the different forum tabs like the community and game tabs.
>
> Now with the new featured topic system, we have to wait for the monitors or the devs to find popular topics to feature. Also one thing that I’ve noticed is that there are only positive threads that get featured. You never see threads based off of bringing problems to light, you never see things that provide constructive criticism, you never see people talk about ways to change Halo for the good. The only featured topics I see are ones that either praise 343i about something, or a question asking what you like more in Halo 5.

Gotta say I don’t really love the “featured topics” feature. Kinda detracts from the community being able to voice their opinion on what the community feels is popular or needs discussed, as opposed to what the developer pins.

Personally, I prefer the new featured topic system. Having 343 choose a few topics they wish to highlight (monitors don’t choose as noted above) has reduced the amount of people who would spam just make it to the “popular” section and give us more work. I tend to ignore feature topics though, even before the update I wouldn’t look at them.

> 2533274813317074;6:
> Personally, I prefer the new featured topic system. Having 343 choose a few topics they wish to highlight (monitors don’t choose as noted above) has reduced the amount of people who would spam just make it to the “popular” section and give us more work. I tend to ignore feature topics though, even before the update I wouldn’t look at them.

Isn’t this against the forum rules anyway, so they wouldn’t do it, at the risk of being banned/locked? Plus, I’ve never seen people use this method of achieving popularity, and I thought locked threads can’t show up on the popular section. Is that true?

> 2535449076192416;7:
> > 2533274813317074;6:
> > Personally, I prefer the new featured topic system. Having 343 choose a few topics they wish to highlight (monitors don’t choose as noted above) has reduced the amount of people who would spam just make it to the “popular” section and give us more work. I tend to ignore feature topics though, even before the update I wouldn’t look at them.
>
> Isn’t this against the forum rules anyway, so they wouldn’t do it, at the risk of being banned/locked? Plus, I’ve never seen people use this method of achieving popularity, and I thought locked threads can’t show up on the popular section. Is that true?

People still do it. Someone spammed a thread about nerfing Banshees all the way to the top of the list not too long ago.

> 2535449076192416;7:
> Isn’t this against the forum rules anyway, so they wouldn’t do it, at the risk of being banned/locked? Plus, I’ve never seen people use this method of achieving popularity, and I thought locked threads can’t show up on the popular section. Is that true?

Spamming is against the rules, but they still did just to reach the ‘front page’ so to speak. If you’ve never seen this happen, we’ve probably already cleaned it up haha. Yeah as soon as it’s locked it drops off the featured section, but until it was locked those spam topics did make it using the old method.