Bring back Head to Head!

Does anyone remember the good old days?

Back when, in Halo 2,
a very bored person could join a playlist and know that the game resided on just themself,
and no teammates?

When a player was positive a kill wouldn’t be “stolen” from them in Rumble Pit.

Back when “Brute Duel” existed?

I certainly do.

We should campaign to bring back the 1 v 1 experience into Halo 4.
It was never that difficult to find 1 v 1 games back in Halo 2.

I’m sure some tweaking could be made to the playlist to make it a bit more fair as well including:
DMR Duel (only DMRs and grenades on the map)
BR Duel (only BRs and grenades on the map)
Sniper Duel (continued…)
etc

While still keeping gametypes in the playlist with rockets, sniper, shotgun, etc on the map.

Not all of you got to experience the thrill of 1v1ing a random player back in Halo 2,
and it was certainly an experience.
Even though nobody was watching but you, your nerves definitely got you going.

I for one would love to be back playing 1v1s in Halo 4, wouldn’t you?

That would be awesome but there is going to be join in progress games

Certainly the join in progress could be turned off for certain playlists.
But I understand where you are coming from :slight_smile:

I just miss the glory days I suppose

Head to Head was a very good playlist. It had a special feel to it compared to all the other playlists.

It should have been in Reach, but hopefully it could be in Halo 4.

They did bring it back in Halo 3…it didn’t do to well. With today’s gamers, they would probably get a few kills and then just hide. Could be wrong though.

> They did bring it back in Halo 3…it didn’t do to well. With today’s gamers, they would probably get a few kills and then just hide. Could be wrong though.

That can be fixed, without awkward waypoint type mechanics.

Only way it could work…

-No power weapons
-Enhanced motion sensor to always show player even if they aren’t moving
-No AA’s
-Grenades as pickup or only spawn with one frag

This, I think, would help prevent “camping” and griefers in a 1v1 match.

Free For All is only about kill stealing. The person who wins is usually the best at killing/doing the least amount of damage and profiting the most.

Anywho, I do miss head to head back in Halo 2 days. But I don’t like how they keep a marker above the person who’s in the leads head, which eliminates my stealth based gameplay. And no, I don’t camp, I actually did crouch walk around the map when it was appropriate.

But sadly enough many people would camp, so it’s imperative to only choose certain maps for this kind of playlist. I’m not sure how many people would play it, probably a decent amount so I think it’d be worth having in.

Don’t forget though, there’s always Gamebattles 1v1, and arranging a match is fairly quick. But I can see why you wouldn’t want to do that since there’s preset rules/issues you may not agree with.

It would be nice to bring back 1v1’s again though.

> Free For All is only about kill stealing. The person who wins is usually the best at killing/doing the least amount of damage and profiting the most.
>
> Anywho, I do miss head to head back in Halo 2 days. <mark>But I don’t like how they keep a marker above the person who’s in the leads head, which eliminates my stealth based gameplay. And no, I don’t camp, I actually did crouch walk around the map when it was appropriate.</mark>
>
> <mark>But sadly enough many people would camp</mark>, so it’s imperative to only choose certain maps for this kind of playlist. I’m not sure how many people would play it, probably a decent amount so I think it’d be worth having in.
>
> Don’t forget though, there’s always Gamebattles 1v1, and arranging a match is fairly quick. But I can see why you wouldn’t want to do that since there’s preset rules/issues you may not agree with.
>
> It would be nice to bring back 1v1’s again though.

That’s why I think an enhanced radar would work great. It doesn’t show the other player exactly where they are standing, but it doesn’t allow for people to hide in corners.

> Free For All is only about kill stealing. The person who wins is usually the best at killing/doing the least amount of damage and profiting the most.

LOL no

> Only way it could work…
>
> -No power weapons
> -Enhanced motion sensor to always show player even if they aren’t moving
> -No AA’s
> -Grenades as pickup or only spawn with one frag
>
>
> This, I think, would help prevent “camping” and griefers in a 1v1 match.

No, I disagree.

I’d prefer no AA’s except Sprint since it’s unfortunately built in…but I’d understand if it had certain AA’s as pick ups, that would promote map movement and reduce camping.

Spawning with 2 grenades is fine. 2 grenades is usually only an issue in gametypes like King of the Hill or Rumble Pit, not 1v1’s.

An enhanced motion sensor is a little crazy, the normal one is fine, just don’t show multiple levels, I hated that in Reach. I’d personally prefer no radar since it’s more intense, but some people just love to camp huh?

Lastly, I think having some centric spawning power weapons like a sniper rifle or Shotgun with only a single clip of ammo would be ideal. Something to fight for, and gain a slight advantage for obtaining, but not something that should dictate the game. Oh, and NO ROCKETS. Jesus. I hope the Grenade Launcher comes back, it’s a great mid-power weapon for these kinds of small matches.

> Only way it could work…
>
> -No power weapons
> -Enhanced motion sensor to always show player even if they aren’t moving
> -No AA’s
> -Grenades as pickup or only spawn with one frag
>
>
> This, I think, would help prevent “camping” and griefers in a 1v1 match.

Power weapons create an incentive to move.

And there is another way to fix the camping problem, and that is good maps. Maps specifically made or forged for 1v1.

So it can fail again?

No thanks.

> > Free For All is only about kill stealing. The person who wins is usually the best at killing/doing the least amount of damage and profiting the most.
>
> LOL no

LOL yes? Have you ever even played a Free For All outside of Rumble Pit?

You should be focusing on stealing kills and NOT helping other people get them. Doing stupid stuff like melee’ing someone you won’t kill before you die to leave them shieldless for someone else is exactly how you help your enemy lol. I’m not saying you don’t have to be good, obviously you have to have a great shot, good map awareness, etc. But this is usually the part that separates a good FFA player from a great FFA player. It’s fairly obvious you have to be good in a standard way to apply what I said.

> > > Free For All is only about kill stealing. The person who wins is usually the best at killing/doing the least amount of damage and profiting the most.
> >
> > LOL no
>
> LOL yes? Have you ever even played a Free For All outside of Rumble Pit?
>
> You should be focusing on stealing kills and NOT helping other people get them. Doing stupid stuff like melee’ing someone you won’t kill before you die to leave them shieldless for someone else is exactly how you help your enemy lol. I’m not saying you don’t have to be good, obviously you have to have a great shot, good map awareness, etc. But this is usually the part that separates a good FFA player from a great FFA player. It’s fairly obvious you have to be good in a standard way to apply what I said.

What separates good FFA players from great FFA players is not kill stealing.

> > > > Free For All is only about kill stealing. The person who wins is usually the best at killing/doing the least amount of damage and profiting the most.
> > >
> > > LOL no
> >
> > LOL yes? Have you ever even played a Free For All outside of Rumble Pit?
> >
> > You should be focusing on stealing kills and NOT helping other people get them. Doing stupid stuff like melee’ing someone you won’t kill before you die to leave them shieldless for someone else is exactly how you help your enemy lol. I’m not saying you don’t have to be good, obviously you have to have a great shot, good map awareness, etc. But this is usually the part that separates a good FFA player from a great FFA player. It’s fairly obvious you have to be good in a standard way to apply what I said.
>
> What separates good FFA players from great FFA players is not kill stealing.

Whatever gets the job done, and kill stealing is most effective on FFA. I only do it when I’m set up in the right situation. You are not good and skilled just because you refuse to kill steal. Actually, you’re no better, but if you can pull it off, then good job. It just means more work for you when you could’ve easily taken a kill in front of your face.

I never really liked Head to Head. The reason being, the first person to gain control of the power weapons almost always won. Granted, Halo 2 had dual wielding and you could easily own someone with the poonjab. Halo 4 doesn’t have dual wielding and even if it did, dual wielding would be near useless against power weapons.

poonjab - SMG and plasma rifle

I understand Head to Head has always been a bit one sided,
but a lot of the comments have made pretty good sense for fair 1 v 1 games.

To create a fair balance of 1 v 1 you would need:

• fair gametypes (mostly no powerweapons on maps, or just gametypes with only 1 weapon on map)
  • no joining in middle of game
  • levels built strictly for 1 v 1
  • always on radar, even when not moving
  • and incentives for players to play 1 v 1 games (so that the playlist isn’t dead with no players)

I think a successful Head to Head is possible if done right.

And as someone else stated before,
nobody is forcing anybody to play Head to Head,
so if you’re not a Head to Head person,
just play something else.

Simple, as, that.