Bring back armor lock (before you freak out, read)

It’s kind of stupid when a Spartan dies by vehicle, in the games. Especially, when us book readers know that a Mjolnir powersuit is capable of locking up to brace for impact, which is why you see Chief often crash landing onto planet surfaces, and other ships. Now, knowing this and watching a Spartan die from being backed into by a 5MPH Wraith, or even hit at 90MPH by a Ghost and it’s absolutely stupid…but for the sake of gaming, it has to happen and so at least give Spartans a defensive option against vehicles and detonation.

Where armor lock failed us before
So, when you mention armor lock, you attract every disgruntled Halo Reach player. I personally loved armor lock, in Reach.
The reason why it was detested in Reach, by so many, was because it could be used to cleverly reverse a gunfight. Say, you take someone’s shields down and are charging after him or her to chase him down and finish it, but just as you are about to deal the killing blow he/ she locks his armor and you wait behind them for their duration to run out. If you are still standing on their heels when his armor lock blows, your shields become discharged and he can quickly turn around and melee you. This “discharging” effect was the only thing that needed to go. It’s primary point was to protect from rockets/ explosives and vehicle impact. Not to hide from a gun fight as you nearly die, as its duration was never long enough for your shields to recharge up anyway. Bringing back armor lock without the EMP effect would be ideal.

Lastly, when you look at the complainers in any given game, they are usually the sore losers. This rule applies to those in PVP for any of your favorite MMOs. All your favorite, exotic weapons get nerfed and not necessarily because of balance, but because others are jealous. Same difference here. Because some people were really good with armor lock and others cared less to get good with it, those who did not care to use it well, hated it. As if removing and/ or nerfing these things will somehow make them better.

Except its not a clever way way to turn a gun fight, its not a creative combination of abilities or even a creative jump to escape, its press a button, become invulnerable than get cheap shoted by someone who lost the fight. It took no skill to use in anyway and broke the flow of the game. Also, if was to exist every spartan should have it other wise it would break the balance of the game. If every spartan had it all vehicles would become useless, stick with boost, that thing can get you out of the way of most things

Armor lock should neeeeever come back. Ever.

From a lore standpoint I would agree with your statement. Yes the Spartans shouldn’t die from such slow hits by a vehicle. However from a gameplay standpoint having armor lock would be, complicated. Halo 5 is obviously directed more to the competitive player this time around and I don’t believe that armor lock would fit into the general feel of halo 5. Not to mention, Halo 4 had hard light shield which in my opinion was much more fair, yet people didn’t seem to use it as often as things like thruster pack. The abilities and the weapons in Halo 5 have been tuned extremely well and I would hate to see that ruined by mediocre things such as a “shield” ability. Hate to see this game make the same mistake as the Halo 4 DMR and boltshot.

> 2533274796457055;3:
> Armor lock should neeeeever come back. Ever.

1000% this.

> 2533274840624875;2:
> Except its not a clever way way to turn a gun fight, its not a creative combination of abilities or even a creative jump to escape, its press a button, become invulnerable than get cheap shoted by someone who lost the fight. It took no skill to use in anyway and broke the flow of the game. Also, if was to exist every spartan should have it other wise it would break the balance of the game. If every spartan had it all vehicles would become useless, stick with boost, that thing can get you out of the way of most things

So much wrong here. First, I’ve tried being that person who would use it defensively. I seldom pulled of a melee kill using it, but there were some that were very good at timing this. Most cases, I got meleed before could even turn around to melee them in a desperate moment. That’s why it took some skill to use. The trick, was to choose an awkward time to release hold on it and not wait until they were expecting it to run out.

If everyone had it, it would not be a balance issue. If only some people had it, then obviously it would be.
No use to vehicles? Yes, I could still chase someone down shoot them to death with a vehicle. Just because I can’t run them over all the time doesn’t mean the vehicle is useless. The armor lock did have a recharge rate, so it’s not like you could constantly block from a vehicles every shot. I still got vehicle kills like mad and it was fantastic to think you’re going to run someone over, just to wind up crashing into a ball of explosion and/ or ramping off of said opponent and into someone/ something else.

Or they could just fix the splatter mechanics.

> 2533274917099112;7:
> Or they could just fix the splatter mechanics.

Post of the day award.

> 2533274792195095;1:
> It’s kind of stupid when a Spartan dies by vehicle, in the games. Especially, when us book readers know that a Mjolnir powersuit is capable of locking up to brace for impact, which is why you see Chief often crash landing onto planet surfaces, and other ships. Now, knowing this and watching a Spartan die from being backed into by a 5MPH Wraith, or even hit at 90MPH by a Ghost and it’s absolutely stupid…but for the sake of gaming, it has to happen and so at least give Spartans a defensive option against vehicles and detonation.
>
> Where armor lock failed us before
> So, when you mention armor lock, you attract every disgruntled Halo Reach player. I personally loved armor lock, in Reach.
> The reason why it was detested in Reach, by so many, was because it could be used to cleverly reverse a gunfight. Say, you take someone’s shields down and are charging after him or her to chase him down and finish it, but just as you are about to deal the killing blow he/ she locks his armor and you wait behind them for their duration to run out. If you are still standing on their heels when his armor lock blows, your shields become discharged and he can quickly turn around and melee you. This “discharging” effect was the only thing that needed to go. It’s primary point was to protect from rockets/ explosives and vehicle impact. Not to hide from a gun fight as you nearly die, as its duration was never long enough for your shields to recharge up anyway. Bringing back armor lock without the EMP effect would be ideal.
>
> Lastly, when you look at the complainers in any given game, they are usually the sore losers. This rule applies to those in PVP for any of your favorite MMOs. All your favorite, exotic weapons get nerfed and not necessarily because of balance, but because others are jealous. Same difference here. Because some people were really good with armor lock and others cared less to get good with it, those who did not care to use it well, hated it. As if removing and/ or nerfing these things will somehow make them better.

Sorry Staarlord, if there’s one thing that the forum is universally salty on, it’s the concept of armor lock.

Your ideas on armour lock didn’t make bringing it back any more appealing than before.

Way to go on trying to make it seem like anyone that doesn’t like Armour lock is just a scrub…

It was terrible. Let it die.

> 2533274807544947;8:
> > 2533274917099112;7:
> > Or they could just fix the splatter mechanics.
>
>
> Post of the day award.

This. Adding something purely for the sake of canon and not balance will not work with Halo 5, and arguing that those who don’t like Armor Lock were not good at using it is pretty baseless.

How would it even work? How is it obtained?

Armor lock is one of the worst things ever to happen to Halo (along with Bloom, abilities, and many other things introduced in Reach). I say we never speak of it again. Deal?

> 2533274831950975;11:
> > 2533274807544947;8:
> > > 2533274917099112;7:
> > > Or they could just fix the splatter mechanics.
> >
> >
> > Post of the day award.
>
>
> This. Adding something purely for the sake of canon and not balance will not work with Halo 5, and arguing that those who don’t like Armor Lock were not good at using it is pretty baseless.
>
> How would it even work? How is it obtained?

Here’s a massive hint. It has 3 letter’s, is capitalized, and singlehandly what helped gain another million for HCS.

Seriously though Staarlord, sorry, but the majority of the forum community hates Armor Lock with a passion. Ain’t no way that 343 will put it in when the place where they get all of their feedback hates it so much.
Good new’s is if you miss it, Halo Reach is going to become backward compatible so you will be able to use it to your heart’s delight.

Armor lock? No. Not in any form.

They could have it where if a vehicle was about to splatter you, a random button could pop up that would activate armor lock, it would be hard to do and you could only do it when a vehicle was about to splatter you.

Not going to read… any one who wants armor lock back is wrong. It was the absolute worse thing in Halo ever of all time. If you want armor lock go play Reach. If armor lock returns I would really give up Halo.

In the future I wouldn’t mind seeing the Equipment and Armor Abilities make a return in Halo. But only in Warzone! Because in order to keep the game moving forward without -Yoink!- off everyone just add it in Warzone and not repeat the same thing in the past Halo games by forcing it on people even when they don’t want it. The Equipment and Armor Abilities wouldn’t be a problem in Warzone because the maps are so big. Plus having different levels for them and a large list to choose from that had a good and bad thing to them could make the game feel a little bit different. But fun at the same time :grin:

Yes, let’s add armor lock and the VATS system from Fallout. It will be great.

It actually sounds interesting. I didn’t play Reach so I haven’t experienced it but sure can tell not many people like it.

Nope. No way. Never.

We all know it’s not coming back.

Only if you still take damage when being shot at, and it had no EMP effect. Even then, I would still be skeptical.