Brian Reed Currently Lead Writer for 343i

According to his own Twitter, Brian Reed has been promoted to lead writer for 343i.

Sauce

Didn’t see this topic made yet so I thought I’d share.

Thoughts, opinions?

Edit: credit to Onyx81 for finding this, by the way.

I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.

Optimism:

While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul 'Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.

> I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.
>
> Optimism:
>
> While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul 'Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.

Pretty much this. I thought personally though that Spartan Ops’ story was brilliant though overall.

> > I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.
> >
> > Optimism:
> >
> > While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul ‘Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.
>
> Pretty much this. I thought personally though that Spartan Ops’ story was brilliant though overall.

Agreed. SpOps was very repeatitive but the actual story was pretty solid.

Positive:
I think that Reed may be good for this. He made Halsey’s outcome pretty dark, so he should do a good job on that part.

Negative:
Some aspects of Spartan Ops were not very solid, such as Palmer’s character, the disconnection that the gameplay had with the cutscenes, etc.

> > I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.
> >
> > Optimism:
> >
> > While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul ‘Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.
>
> Pretty much this. I thought personally though that Spartan Ops’ story was brilliant though overall.

I thought it was alright. Just, alright. Nothing good, nothing truly bad, (but I was legitimately annoyed by Palmer), just passable.

It was definitely a less important story than the campaign, until the ending possibly with Requiem and the Janice key and such, which is why I don’t really get bothered by it. But to be the lead writer for the main story? No, I can’t accept that.

I try my hardest to remain optimistic, but Brian Reed is fundamentally the wrong guy to write the main story. Even if you liked Spartan Ops, you have to admit that there is a major tonal disparity between Spops and the campaign. Chief’s story is far darker and more introspective than anything Reed has written thus far, and I’ve yet to see evidence that he can handle a story like that with any kind of integrity. His writing comes off to much like a stereotypical comic book (he was a comic writer after all).

Right now I’m just hoping he’s temporarily filling the void left by Chris when he left until they get someone better suited. At the very least, I hope Chris finished his script for Halo 5 and got it approved before Reed could touch it. Halo 5 is supposed to be the darkest chapter in the series, Reed just isn’t the right guy for that job.

> > > I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.
> > >
> > > Optimism:
> > >
> > > While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul ‘Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.
> >
> > Pretty much this. I thought personally though that Spartan Ops’ story was brilliant though overall.
>
> I thought it was alright. Just, alright. Nothing good, nothing truly bad, (but I was legitimately annoyed by Palmer), just passable.
>
> It was definitely a less important story than the campaign, until the ending possibly with Requiem and the Janice key and such, which is why I don’t really get bothered by it. But to be the lead writer for the main story? No, I can’t accept that.
>
> I try my hardest to remain optimistic, but Brian Reed is fundamentally the wrong guy to write the main story. Even if you liked Spartan Ops, you have to admit that there is a major tonal disparity between Spops and the campaign. Chief’s story is far darker and more introspective than anything Reed has written thus far, and I’ve yet to see evidence that he can handle a story like that with any kind of integrity. His writing comes off to much like a stereotypical comic book (he was a comic writer after all).
>
> Right now I’m just hoping he’s temporarily filling the void left by Chris when he left until they get someone better suited. At the very least, I hope Chris finished his script for Halo 5 and got it approved before Reed could touch it. Halo 5 is supposed to be the darkest chapter in the series, Reed just isn’t the right guy for that job.

I can pretty much agree with you there. While Reed isn’t a horrible writer, he certainly isn’t acceptable as a lead writer, and especially unacceptable as the writer for Halo 5.

I just hope they find someone else. Hell, I think Greg Bear would be a terrific choice for Halo 5 if they can get him.

> Sorry, can’t say anything negative here, I’m forced to be positive.
> At least there’s a writer now, better than Bungie I guess.
>
> Well…
>
> Anyway, I think that Reed may be good for this. He made Halsey’s outcome pretty dark, so he should do a good job on that part.

Cutting someone’s army off is easy, but writing a Greek tragedy is hard, and that’s what basically faces Reed at this point in time.

Nothing against the guy, but he isn’t suited to write the kind of deep, introspective character tragedy that is necessary for the Master Chief.

> > > > I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.
> > > >
> > > > Optimism:
> > > >
> > > > While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul ‘Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.
> > >
> > > Pretty much this. I thought personally though that Spartan Ops’ story was brilliant though overall.
> >
> > I thought it was alright. Just, alright. Nothing good, nothing truly bad, (but I was legitimately annoyed by Palmer), just passable.
> >
> > It was definitely a less important story than the campaign, until the ending possibly with Requiem and the Janice key and such, which is why I don’t really get bothered by it. But to be the lead writer for the main story? No, I can’t accept that.
> >
> > I try my hardest to remain optimistic, but Brian Reed is fundamentally the wrong guy to write the main story. Even if you liked Spartan Ops, you have to admit that there is a major tonal disparity between Spops and the campaign. Chief’s story is far darker and more introspective than anything Reed has written thus far, and I’ve yet to see evidence that he can handle a story like that with any kind of integrity. His writing comes off to much like a stereotypical comic book (he was a comic writer after all).
> >
> > Right now I’m just hoping he’s temporarily filling the void left by Chris when he left until they get someone better suited. At the very least, I hope Chris finished his script for Halo 5 and got it approved before Reed could touch it. Halo 5 is supposed to be the darkest chapter in the series, Reed just isn’t the right guy for that job.
>
> I can pretty much agree with you there. While Reed isn’t a horrible writer, he certainly isn’t acceptable as a lead writer, and especially unacceptable as the writer for Halo 5.
>
> I just hope they find someone else. Hell, I think Greg Bear would be a terrific choice for Halo 5 if they can get him.

That would be a dream come true. I think everyone would love that, especially given the influence the Forerunners/Precursors will be having on the story hence forth.

> >
> > Optimism:
> >
>

I would’ve been inclined to agree were it not for: Elites never having shields up, Majestic having bland and boring characters, Palmer being a hypocrite and overall annoying, Jul’s attack on Infinity being stupidly carried out, and Miller & Dalton being bland and uninteresting like Majestic. I honestly don’t see Halsey acting rogue and losing her arm as bad looking back on it. I mean with characters, especially Palmer, being so arrogant and shortsighted it’s not that outrageous or surprising.

I don’t know how well Chief is going to develop his humanity with Reed as the lead writer. Emotion and character development didn’t really come across in SpOps.

So, how upset is Cobra about this? I can’t possibly imagine him being happy.

> > > I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.
> > >
> > > Optimism:
> > >
> > > While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul ‘Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.
> >
> > Pretty much this. I thought personally though that Spartan Ops’ story was brilliant though overall.
>
> I would’ve been inclined to agree were it not for: Elites never having shields up, Majestic having bland and boring characters, Palmer being a hypocrite and overall annoying, Jul’s attack on Infinity being stupidly carried out, and Miller & Dalton being bland and uninteresting like Majestic. I honestly don’t see Halsey acting rogue and losing her arm as bad looking back on it. I mean with characters, especially Palmer, being so arrogant and shortsighted it’s not that outrageous or surprising.
>
> I don’t know how well Chief is going to develop his humanity with Reed as the lead writer. Emotion and character development didn’t really come across in SpOps.
>
> So, how upset is Cobra about this? I can’t possibly imagine him being happy.

Bordering on depressed, if I’m interpreting his wordage correctly. He posted it first on Bungie.net, in the thread that talked about the Republic Commando director being the director for Halo 5.

“And just like that, my happiness is gone.”

But the Elites never having shields up is a development issue, not a writing one. They can’t spend too much time on action scenes given the limited time slots for each episode, so they have to cut corners to keep the story rolling and make the action shorter.

> > > > I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.
> > > >
> > > > Optimism:
> > > >
> > > > While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul ‘Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.
> > >
> > > Pretty much this. I thought personally though that Spartan Ops’ story was brilliant though overall.
> >
> > I would’ve been inclined to agree were it not for: Elites never having shields up, Majestic having bland and boring characters, Palmer being a hypocrite and overall annoying, Jul’s attack on Infinity being stupidly carried out, and Miller & Dalton being bland and uninteresting like Majestic. I honestly don’t see Halsey acting rogue and losing her arm as bad looking back on it. I mean with characters, especially Palmer, being so arrogant and shortsighted it’s not that outrageous or surprising.
> >
> > I don’t know how well Chief is going to develop his humanity with Reed as the lead writer. Emotion and character development didn’t really come across in SpOps.
> >
> > So, how upset is Cobra about this? I can’t possibly imagine him being happy.
>
> Bordering on depressed, if I’m interpreting his wordage correctly. He posted it first on Bungie.net, in the thread that talked about the Republic Commando director being the director for Halo 5.
>
> “And just like that, my happiness is gone.”
>
> <mark>But the Elites never having shields up is a development issue, not a writing one. They can’t spend too much time on action scenes given the limited time slots for each episode, so they have to cut corners to keep the story rolling and make the action shorter.</mark>

That’s still not much of an excuse for having the gameplay riddled with repetitive, almost childish, and non-believable dialogue (I’m looking at you, Roland and Miller). That’s not an excuse for making Fireteam Majestic have the behavior that makes the characters in South Park look mature. That’s not an excuse for completely RUINING the potential for Palmer’s character. And that’s not an excuse for completely lacking the emotional depth that Halo 4’s campaign had.

> > > >
> > > > Optimism:
> > > >
> > >
> >
> > I would’ve been inclined to agree were it not for: Elites never having shields up, Majestic having bland and boring characters, Palmer being a hypocrite and overall annoying, Jul’s attack on Infinity being stupidly carried out, and Miller & Dalton being bland and uninteresting like Majestic. I honestly don’t see Halsey acting rogue and losing her arm as bad looking back on it. I mean with characters, especially Palmer, being so arrogant and shortsighted it’s not that outrageous or surprising.
> >
> > I don’t know how well Chief is going to develop his humanity with Reed as the lead writer. Emotion and character development didn’t really come across in SpOps.
> >
> > So, how upset is Cobra about this? I can’t possibly imagine him being happy.
>
> Bordering on depressed, if I’m interpreting his wordage correctly. He posted it first on Bungie.net, in the thread that talked about the Republic Commando director being the director for Halo 5.
>
> “And just like that, my happiness is gone.”
>
> But the Elites never having shields up is a development issue, not a writing one. They can’t spend too much time on action scenes given the limited time slots for each episode, so they have to cut corners to keep the story rolling and make the action shorter.

The no shields still seemed lazy. Storm Trooper syndrome never looks pretty, an alternative really should’ve been looked at.

Sorry to hear that it’s hitting him that hard. I know he’s really attached to the story, especially Halsey. I hope Reed’s fellow writers keep each other in check, last thing the story needs is more super emphasizing that ONI has gotten everyone to think Halsey is the bad guy.

> > > > > I can already sense the negative reaction that approaches, but I’ll try to be optimistic about it.
> > > > >
> > > > > Optimism:
> > > > >
> > > > > While Spartan Ops certainly had its flaws in terms of writing, I felt that Jul ‘Mdama was probably the best Halo Villain I’ve ever seen. While Halsey’s story in SpOps can be seen as writer-bias, I actually appreciated both her role, and Jul’s, in the story. Both of them, even under Reed’s influence, were very dynamic characters and endured a lot of interesting events in the story.
> > > >
> > > > Pretty much this. I thought personally though that Spartan Ops’ story was brilliant though overall.
> > >
> > > I would’ve been inclined to agree were it not for: Elites never having shields up, Majestic having bland and boring characters, Palmer being a hypocrite and overall annoying, Jul’s attack on Infinity being stupidly carried out, and Miller & Dalton being bland and uninteresting like Majestic. I honestly don’t see Halsey acting rogue and losing her arm as bad looking back on it. I mean with characters, especially Palmer, being so arrogant and shortsighted it’s not that outrageous or surprising.
> > >
> > > I don’t know how well Chief is going to develop his humanity with Reed as the lead writer. Emotion and character development didn’t really come across in SpOps.
> > >
> > > So, how upset is Cobra about this? I can’t possibly imagine him being happy.
> >
> > Bordering on depressed, if I’m interpreting his wordage correctly. He posted it first on Bungie.net, in the thread that talked about the Republic Commando director being the director for Halo 5.
> >
> > “And just like that, my happiness is gone.”
> >
> > <mark>But the Elites never having shields up is a development issue, not a writing one. They can’t spend too much time on action scenes given the limited time slots for each episode, so they have to cut corners to keep the story rolling and make the action shorter.</mark>
>
> That’s still not much of an excuse for having the gameplay riddled with repetitive, almost childish, and non-believable dialogue (I’m looking at you, Roland and Miller). That’s not an excuse for making Fireteam Majestic have the behavior that makes the characters in South Park look mature. That’s not an excuse for completely RUINING the potential for Palmer’s character. And that’s not an excuse for completely lacking the emotional depth that Halo 4’s campaign had.

I never said it was.

> > >
> > > Optimism:
> > >
> >
>
> I would’ve been inclined to agree were it not for: Elites never having shields up, Majestic having bland and boring characters, Palmer being a hypocrite and overall annoying, Jul’s attack on Infinity being stupidly carried out, and Miller & Dalton being bland and uninteresting like Majestic. I honestly don’t see Halsey acting rogue and losing her arm as bad looking back on it. I mean with characters, especially Palmer, being so arrogant and shortsighted it’s not that outrageous or surprising.
>
> I don’t know how well Chief is going to develop his humanity with Reed as the lead writer. Emotion and character development didn’t really come across in SpOps.
>
> <mark>So, how upset is Cobra about this? I can’t possibly imagine him being happy.</mark>

Yeah, I felt the same way about SpOps.

Now that you mention it I can’t imagine how bad Cobra is going to take this.

> > > >
> > > > Optimism:
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > <mark>So, how upset is Cobra about this? I can’t possibly imagine him being happy.</mark>
>
> Yeah, I felt the same way about SpOps.
>
> Now that you mention it I can’t imagine how bad Cobra is going to take this.

He’s the one that found it, he’s very upset.

The 343 day live stream id going, they said they have an interview with the narrative team coming up. Maybe we can get more details then.

My first reaction: Well…-Yoink-.

> My first reaction: Well…-Yoink!-.

RIP Halsey we hardly knew you.

Oh Dear, Neigh it was heresy. And from this post I leave you with this.

well, it could have been worse, they could have hired him to be lead consultant to the true series writer… Karen travvis