Breakout (updated)

I’ll start off by saying I am extremely impressed with Halo 5 so far. I love the movement and the quick pace that the game presents. Since the Breakout gametype released today I thought I’d make a thread about it where we could all constructively discuss it. Whether we talk about weapons, weapon balancing, the current map, or the gametype itself.

After playing a few matches here are my current thoughts, I may update them later.
Positives (so far)

• I like this gametype a lot actually, it reminds me of a more fast paced version of Swat with a more in your face type of combat.- The map itself, “Crossfire”, is very nicely designed with plenty of spots to both hide and flank.- One single grenade is very nice since you never really want to waste it unless you have too.- The addition of the BR’s make it very challenging as there will usually be a player defending each side from a distance. As well as covering there team mates backs.- Finally the call outs from the announcer when your team mates die is very helpful and very appreciated.- One life only makes the game very tense and I like it.Negatives (so far)

• The gametype itself is not very fun when you are on a random team, no communication means you are most likely going to lose. Though I do realize this gametype is probably designed with parties in mind.- This gametype, like Slayer, does still suffer from an overall problem in the game itself. The balancing of SMGs/ARs at mid range, the fact that you start with only one life makes this situation all the more frustrating. Many times I’ve gone up against other opponents at mid range with my BR, only to have the enemy spray at me from a distance and kill me. With the current balance of the weapons I can only foresee this particular gametype devolving into a bullet spraying nightmare with no thought towards strategy, especially when the BR is basically rendered useless.- The BR takes 3 shots to the head to kill. For a precision weapon, especially up against the smg’s balancing issues, it should be maximum a 2 shot kill. Again it being so under powered basically makes it useless. Most of the time. (Usually can be made to work when you’re on a good team)I do hope to play more of this gametype (preferably with friends) so that I can maybe update this list further. Please if anyone has any Constructive feedback or any agreements or disagreements with my current post please feel free to respond with your reasoning, I want to hear how other people are feeling also. I’ll try to respond back as well. Have fun everyone. :smiley:

Update-
The BR takes 3 shots to the head to kill, this would be somewhat okay if the smg was not just as strong (possibly stronger) at mid range. An added dilemma here is the fact that there is an ample amount of cover. Any time a BR user gets an enemy in their sights the enemy can very easily get away, an added downside is that at mid-long range a player being targeted can simply fire at the BR user to both knock him out of scope and/or kill him.

A Strategy(if you can call it that) that I’ve seen used a lot in this gametype after having played more matches is to only use your smg and grenades and to try to be ADS as much as possible. This strategy works so well that I’ve seen entire teams just rush the opposing team with their smgs and win consistently. As I’ve stated earlier, with the power of the smg at mid-long range, this gametype really will most likely turn into a bullet spraying nightmare as each team rushes each other.

I have also seen, a few times now, the opposing team simply camp their own spawn and wait for the enemy team to rush them. It seems the defending team usually comes out the victor.

Update v.2-
After playing more of Breakout I have now come to some conclusions.

The map Trench is very claustrophobic, which can of course be a good thing, but for me is not so thrilling. Of course my main problem with Trench has become very clear after playing more games on it. The easiest and best strategy for Breakout on Trench is simply to camp your spawn. This forces the enemy team to rush you and if the enemy team is uncoordinated or simply makes any mistakes, it usually means they will fail and the defending team will win the round.

With the current weapon balancing, e.g. the overpowered at mid-long range smg and the under powered in Breakout BR, I must say that the absolute best strategy for any team is to simply never switch weapons from your smg and to Aim Down Sights as much as possible. This strategy seems to work almost every time, especially with a team that is communicating well. In my opinion I would say if the smg is not toned down at mid range, then the BR should be made to kill with, at most, 2 head shots instead of 3. If the smg is not toned down then their really is no point in having the BR on the field in any casual version of this gametype, since the only good use of this weapon comes from a well communicated and/or well communicated and competent team.

Final Thoughts-
I personally love Breakout. It seems to me to be a great successor to Swat. With a faster pace and more of a focus on teamwork I love every pulse pounding minute of it. I believe in the final release, with more balanced weapons, this gametype could easily become one of my absolute favorites to play. I look forward to seeing how this gametype evolves and I look forward to playing more and more of it. Thank you all for listening whether you’re 343 or fan alike. Again please feel free to post any constructive feedback you have or any questions or comments that might lend themselves to this discussion.

My only complaint is that I wish the time to kill was a little higher (again). It currently feels like a hide-and-seek game, whoever spots who first usually wins.
I really like Breakout though - definitely very tense, anyone else feel their heart pounding when playing? Never had that in a video game before…

> 2533274851609386;2:
> My only complaint is that I wish the time to kill was a little higher (again). It currently feels like a hide-and-seek game, whoever spots who first usually wins.
> I really like Breakout though - definitely very tense, anyone else feel their heart pounding when playing? Never had that in a video game before…

I actually feel the kill time is pretty well set, with the addition of the thruster it makes it a bit easier to get behind cover so all in all this hasn’t really bugged me much. As for it feeling like a hide-and-seek game I agree to a point but I have realized that a lot of the reason I feel that way is without a radar it feels a lot more like people are hiding even when they aren’t. I’ve seen people run right by each other multiple times without knowing it and I’m sure it’s happened to me before as well.

Yes my heart has been pounding in a few close game I agree. haha

Amazing gametype for Halo. I am completely shocked. #Heart pounding

> 2533274866409577;4:
> Amazing gametype for Halo. I am completely shocked. #Heart pounding

I agree Breakout should also be known as #heartpounding.

> 2533274802270673;5:
> > 2533274866409577;4:
> > Amazing gametype for Halo. I am completely shocked. #Heart pounding
>
>
> I agree Breakout should also be know as #heartpounding.

I had that with regular team slayer when I first played the beta. Guess I’ve become slightly resistant to it. I had it a little bit in Breakout/#heartpounding

I really like Breakout. I love the SWAT feel with the tenseness of only having one life. Makes the entire game so much fun.

> 2533274851609386;2:
> My only complaint is that I wish the time to kill was a little higher (again). It currently feels like a hide-and-seek game, whoever spots who first usually wins.
> I really like Breakout though - definitely very tense, anyone else feel their heart pounding when playing? Never had that in a video game before…

> 2533274866409577;4:
> Amazing gametype for Halo. I am completely shocked. #Heart pounding

Agreed! I always have a lot of fun on breakout. It is honestly 110% funner with a party. Which is probably the goal to get more people playing together hence increasing the play time and volume on halo. #WeBack

> 2533274932540799;6:
> > 2533274802270673;5:
> > > 2533274866409577;4:
> > > Amazing gametype for Halo. I am completely shocked. #Heart pounding
> >
> >
> >
> > I agree Breakout should also be know as #heartpounding.
>
>
> I had that with regular team slayer when I first played the beta. Guess I’ve become slightly resistant to it. I had it a little bit in Breakout/#heartpounding

I really get this feeling, even still, especially when I am the last man standing and it all depends on me. Of course winning the round at that point is also an amazing feeling!

One more to the pro Breakout camp. I love the tactical approach to the game, the very few weapons in the map, only one BR per team, no radar, one grenade. It´s all made to make you think twice about what you´re about to do. Please don´t change it!

Sometimes I get stuck at the spawn in the breakout maps. Like I can literally see the lines in the floor bending at my feet like the ground is caving in beneath me and I have to jump to get out of it.

I really like it, however I feel that the br is OP and needs to be removed

> 2535458657143097;10:
> One more to the pro Breakout camp. I love the tactical approach to the game, the very few weapons in the map, only one BR per team, no radar, one grenade. It´s all made to make you think twice about what you´re about to do. Please don´t change it!

I agree I love the way it’s all set up it is very tactical. The only problem I have is that when playing with a team that isn’t really up to par or just bad I’m usually the last one alive with the BR and end up getting rushed and murdered by the rest of the team. Although in a good match with competent players on each side I have seen the BR used the way it should be and have enjoyed it.

> 2533274916931464;12:
> I really like it, however I feel that the br is OP and needs to be removed

I feel the BR is actually usually under powered compared to the smg. In a lot of mid range fights where the BR should win out the smg ends up winning out. Although if you are having trouble going up against the BR I would suggest either teaming up on the BR playing with your team mates or really just harassing the Br-er with your smg until your team mates can get to them and kill them.