Brand New to Halo.

First off, I just logged into these forums. Please correct me if this post should be placed somewhere else. If I posted this in an inappropriate location, i was unaware and will fix it :slight_smile:

I’ve just started getting into Halo. I have a few years of FPS experience under my belt and wanted to try a game with much greater difficulty. I’ve played a few matches in Halo 5 social and I wanted to understand where I stood as far as skill is concerned. I hopped into slayer and knocked out a few matches to place and get an idea (Slayer).

if someone has never touched Halo before, what’s a reasonsable rank you’d expect them to place without any previous Halo experience and only a few social matches to warm up with?

I ended up getting silver 5, which I’m fine with but towards the end of my placing matches, all the teams I was placed on were getting STOMPED!!! This frustrated me because as a brand new player, I was typically 1st or second in my team and usually by quite a bit. I’m wondering if I would have at least hit Gold if a few matches were more of an even playing field. It just felt odd to be placing ahead of people on my team whose spartan ranks were maxed out and I don’t even know the maps or can’t even navigate the menus properly lol.

This is game seems to have an extraordinarily high skill gap and I was very humbled to see some good players out there.

idk, I’m a little down and a little disappointed in my performance. Would you consider this normal or decent for someone who has never touched the game and has no experience? Any tips to help me get better and move up the ranks.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

EDIT: Seems I’ve matched the max replies allocated for me today but thank you for every single reply. I’m checking out all of your recommendations and tips. The receptiveness has been both warm and informative.

Welcome to the club, buddy! Hope you enjoy your stay!

Halo 5: Guardians plays a little bit differently compared to the previous entries in the series, so you may have to change things up a bit. Since you’re fairly new to the game, I recommend tackling the Social playlist or Warzone Firefight to get the hang of things before you head into Ranked and normal Warzone.

> 2535429593088083;2:
> Welcome to the club, buddy! Hope you enjoy your stay!
>
> Halo 5: Guardians plays a little bit differently compared to the previous entries in the series, so you may have to change things up a bit. Since you’re fairly new to the game, I recommend tackling the Social playlist or Warzone Firefight to get the hang of things before you head into Ranked and normal Warzone.

Thanks for the welcome! I can’t believe I’ve slept on Halo for so long. Just in these past few days I’ve taken a strong liking to the game. The fact that there’s so many players out there much better than I really draws me to it. I’ll ride out Social for the next little while to learn the maps and power positions…etc. the one thing that stood out to me was the high occurrence of deserters in ranked, penalties be -Yoink!-, huh? Lol.

In your post you hit on a couple of Halo truths that it’s taken me a year and half to figure out. Yes, Halo 5 has a huge skill gap. Yes, Halo 5 ranking is inscrutable, despite its supposed transparency. Yes, Halo does not care whether it matches you with less-skilled teammates and then pits you against a full fireteam of superior players. Often. That’s just part of the charm of Halo.

But it’s no different in 5 than it’s ever been in any other Halo. Skill-based matchmaking is more of a Halo aspiration than a Halo reality. The scenario you described where you consistently over- or under-perform your teammates… this is the norm in Halo, not the exception. The game is designed for one player on the winning team to go 19/4 while everyone else just gives up assists and are expected to feel good about it, as if a win like that has meaning or value. And the losing team? They all go deeply negative because they were badly matched but are supposed to derive satisfaction from the experience because “sportsmanship.”

Sorry - not trying to suck the life out of the game for you, but all this boils down, in my opinion, to a game where performance and outcome are distant enough from one and other that they may as well have no relationship at all.

I can’t really say if your placement is good or bad because it all depends on a player’s overall skill level in general which I don’t know yours. You also shouldn’t rely on the SR rank to determine that (1-152) since that only goes off of playing time and not skill level. That being said, bronze is the lowest skill rank and you placed higher than that so you must have some kind of skill.

On another note, I’m glad you found Halo, but it sucks that you didn’t get to experience Halo in its prime and this is the game you’re starting with. If you ever get the chance, try out MCC and experience the previous Halos and their campaigns. The first 2 Halos are the PC versions and MCC is chocked full of bugs, but it’s worth playing if you want to get the full Halo experience.

I bought the game at launch and my very first rank was Bronze 1. Yep, lowest rank possible lol. I’ve ranked quite a bit higher than that since then, but I don’t push rank anymore. I’d be happy to be Bronze 1 again. If you are brand new, don’t know the maps, weapon and armor spawns, were finishing positive, and got silver 5, I’d say you are probably a solid Gold, maybe Platinum player, and that’s pretty much average. Average is actually a good thing, it means you will be able to find competitive matches regularly. Like others said, winning and ranking up isn’t just about your skill. There are variables like lag, people manipulating the ranking system to match lower skill players, matchmaking deciding to match you against a champ, getting wrecked by a coordinated team, or even people quitting. My advice: Don’t push rank too much. Maybe a season or two to find your peak ability, but don’t stay there. Halo isn’t fun when you are the last guy on the leader board every match. Play relaxed and have fun.

> 2533274873843883;4:
> In your post you hit on a couple of Halo truths that it’s taken me a year and half to figure out. Yes, Halo 5 has a huge skill gap. Yes, Halo 5 ranking is inscrutable, despite its supposed transparency. Yes, Halo does not care whether it matches you with less-skilled teammates and then pits you against a full fireteam of superior players. Often. That’s just part of the charm of Halo.
>
> But it’s no different in 5 than it’s ever been in any other Halo. Skill-based matchmaking is more of a Halo aspiration than a Halo reality. The scenario you described where you consistently over- or under-perform your teammates… this is the norm in Halo, not the exception. The game is designed for one player on the winning team to go 19/4 while everyone else just gives up assists and are expected to feel good about it, as if a win like that has meaning or value. And the losing team? They all go deeply negative because they were badly matched but are supposed to derive satisfaction from the experience because “sportsmanship.”
>
> Sorry - not trying to suck the life out of the game for you, but all this boils down, in my opinion, to a game where performance and outcome are distant enough from one and other that they may as well have no relationship at all.

No worries, you’re not sucking the fun out of it. I’m a realist anyway. it’s a reality I’ll accept as I acquire more experience in the game. The skill gap in this game is exceptional and I think it’s what attracts me the most. I can’t wait to see how much I’ll grow.

thanks for the reply.

> 2535468514153692;7:
> > 2533274873843883;4:
> > In your post you hit on a couple of Halo truths that it’s taken me a year and half to figure out. Yes, Halo 5 has a huge skill gap. Yes, Halo 5 ranking is inscrutable, despite its supposed transparency. Yes, Halo does not care whether it matches you with less-skilled teammates and then pits you against a full fireteam of superior players. Often. That’s just part of the charm of Halo.
> >
> > But it’s no different in 5 than it’s ever been in any other Halo. Skill-based matchmaking is more of a Halo aspiration than a Halo reality. The scenario you described where you consistently over- or under-perform your teammates… this is the norm in Halo, not the exception. The game is designed for one player on the winning team to go 19/4 while everyone else just gives up assists and are expected to feel good about it, as if a win like that has meaning or value. And the losing team? They all go deeply negative because they were badly matched but are supposed to derive satisfaction from the experience because “sportsmanship.”
> >
> > Sorry - not trying to suck the life out of the game for you, but all this boils down, in my opinion, to a game where performance and outcome are distant enough from one and other that they may as well have no relationship at all.
>
> No worries, you’re not sucking the fun out of it. I’m a realist anyway. it’s a reality I’ll accept as I acquire more experience in the game. The skill gap in this game is exceptional and I think it’s what attracts me the most. I can’t wait to see how much I’ll grow.
>
> thanks for the reply.

Halo is a super rewarding game to play, I feel that a lot of the fun comes from learning the maps and becoming more skilled the more you play (atleast its that way for me). Welcome to the community!

> 2727626560040591;5:
> I can’t really say if your placement is good or bad because it all depends on a player’s overall skill level in general which I don’t know yours. You also shouldn’t rely on the SR rank to determine that (1-152) since that only goes off of playing time and not skill level. That being said, bronze is the lowest skill rank and you placed higher than that so you must have some kind of skill.
>
> On another note, I’m glad you found Halo, but it sucks that you didn’t get to experience Halo in its prime and this is the game you’re starting with. If you ever get the chance, try out MCC and experience the previous Halos and their campaigns. The first 2 Halos are the PC versions and MCC is chocked full of bugs, but it’s worth playing if you want to get the full Halo experience.

Thanks for the reply.

Looking back, I shouldn’t have even tried to place soon after learning the controls of the game and doing a few social matches. Because of past FPS experience, I was a guy who had great aim, fast reactions but absolutely no sense of spawns, weapons or anything else. So I was easily outrunning people in terrible positions and getting punished more on my own ignorance than my opponents skil. I mean, the gold and low level platinums didn’t seem very good at all so I’m assuming I’ll at least pass that next season. I just really hope to improve to where I get get to where you’re at one day, the skill ceiling really attracted me to this game and I can’t wait to see how much I’m going to improve down the road.

Ya know, I hear that a lot. That I missed out on Halo and honestly that’s what really peaked my interest. There seems to be such a strong community to a series that’s been out over a decade and hearing everyone talk about “the good old days” sealed the deal for me to check it out.

MM collection is being downloaded tomorrow. No spoilers. :slight_smile:

Always cool to see new people coming into the community…man, to be experiencing Halo for the first time…it’s a crazy thought.

Couple of things I’d warn about in the Master Chief Collection before you dive in;

• The Halo 3 multiplayer has awful hit detection, which is unfortunate given the utility weapon is projectile based. - Halo 4’s multiplayer has some noticeable performance issues (screen tearing and frame-drops). - Some of the Achievements are glitchy, and generally wont unlock unless you are online (this inlcudes campaign ones). - Campaign Co-op is incredibly buggy online, so if you’re going to play Campaign with a buddy (or 1-3 buddies in the case of Halo 3 and 4), it’s best to go with Splitscreen, if you’re able. - There is a DLC for the game that features Halo 3: ODST (a spin-off title that is definitely worth playing) and an additional map for the Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer (which is separate from the Halo 2 classic multiplayer…confusing I know) that might be worth looking into. - Get a physical copy from a store if you can, the digital download version is still full price and you shouldn’t pay that for MCC, trust me.Separately, I should also let you know that Halo CE: Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST and Halo 4 are all coming to backwards compatibility for Xbox One, so if you’re looking to play Halo 3 and 4 multiplayer as they were originally intended, you’ll be able to pick them up for cheap and play them on Xbox One without having to go through the MCC, it’s just worth noting that they’ll be running at 30fps rather than 60; unfortunately you have to choose between smooth gameplay and working hit detection in this case.

Halo Reach is also available on backwards compatibility already, and two of it’s DLC map-packs, Anniversary (a group of CE maps remade for Reach) and Defiant, are free, along with all DLC for Halo 3 and 4, so again, worth looking into.

Eh…I think that’s everything…oh, and have fun!

> 2535468514153692;1:
> First off, I just logged into these forums. Please correct me if this post should be placed somewhere else. If I posted this in an inappropriate location, i was unaware and will fix it :slight_smile:
>
> I’ve just started getting into Halo. I have a few years of FPS experience under my belt and wanted to try a game with much greater difficulty. I’ve played a few matches in Halo 5 social and I wanted to understand where I stood as far as skill is concerned. I hopped into slayer and knocked out a few matches to place and get an idea (Slayer).
>
> if someone has never touched Halo before, what’s a reasonsable rank you’d expect them to place without any previous Halo experience and only a few social matches to warm up with?
>
> I ended up getting silver 5, which I’m fine with but towards the end of my placing matches, all the teams I was placed on were getting STOMPED!!! This frustrated me because as a brand new player, I was typically 1st or second in my team and usually by quite a bit. I’m wondering if I would have at least hit Gold if a few matches were more of an even playing field. It just felt odd to be placing ahead of people on my team whose spartan ranks were maxed out and I don’t even know the maps or can’t even navigate the menus properly lol.
>
> This is game seems to have an extraordinarily high skill gap and I was very humbled to see some good players out there.
>
> idk, I’m a little down and a little disappointed in my performance. Would you consider this normal or decent for someone who has never touched the game and has no experience? Any tips to help me get better and move up the ranks.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

For the love of Halo, play Halos 1-3 , I think you’ll have a lot more fun. You haven’t truly experienced Halo if you haven’t played the original trilogy. I think you should sell your Halo 5 disk. There are things about Halo 5 that even the developers don’t know…

> 2533274873843883;4:
> But it’s no different in 5 than it’s ever been in any other Halo. Skill-based matchmaking is more of a Halo aspiration than a Halo reality. The scenario you described where you consistently over- or under-perform your teammates… this is the norm in Halo, not the exception. The game is designed for one player on the winning team to go 19/4 while everyone else just gives up assists and are expected to feel good about it, as if a win like that has meaning or value. And the losing team? They all go deeply negative because they were badly matched but are supposed to derive satisfaction from the experience because “sportsmanship.”

Would be interesting if any of this was actually true.

> 2533274900668879;10:
> Always cool to see new people coming into the community…man, to be experiencing Halo for the first time…it’s a crazy thought.
>
> Couple of things I’d warn about in the Master Chief Collection before you dive in;
> - The Halo 3 multiplayer has awful hit detection, which is unfortunate given the utility weapon is projectile based. - Halo 4’s multiplayer has some noticeable performance issues (screen tearing and frame-drops). - Some of the Achievements are glitchy, and generally wont unlock unless you are online (this inlcudes campaign ones). - Campaign Co-op is incredibly buggy online, so if you’re going to play Campaign with a buddy (or 1-3 buddies in the case of Halo 3 and 4), it’s best to go with Splitscreen, if you’re able. - There is a DLC for the game that features Halo 3: ODST (a spin-off title that is definitely worth playing) and an additional map for the Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer (which is separate from the Halo 2 classic multiplayer…confusing I know) that might be worth looking into. - Get a physical copy from a store if you can, the digital download version is still full price and you shouldn’t pay that for MCC, trust me.Separately, I should also let you know that Halo CE: Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST and Halo 4 are all coming to backwards compatibility for Xbox One, so if you’re looking to play Halo 3 and 4 multiplayer as they were originally intended, you’ll be able to pick them up for cheap and play them on Xbox One without having to go through the MCC, it’s just worth noting that they’ll be running at 30fps rather than 60; unfortunately you have to choose between smooth gameplay and working hit detection in this case.
>
> Halo Reach is also available on backwards compatibility already, and two of it’s DLC map-packs, Anniversary (a group of CE maps remade for Reach) and Defiant, are free, along with all DLC for Halo 3 and 4, so again, worth looking into.
>
> Eh…I think that’s everything…oh, and have fun!

you sure i gott mcc for $20 but that might have because it was on sale

> 2535468514153692;1:
> First off, I just logged into these forums. Please correct me if this post should be placed somewhere else. If I posted this in an inappropriate location, i was unaware and will fix it :slight_smile:
>
> I’ve just started getting into Halo. I have a few years of FPS experience under my belt and wanted to try a game with much greater difficulty. I’ve played a few matches in Halo 5 social and I wanted to understand where I stood as far as skill is concerned. I hopped into slayer and knocked out a few matches to place and get an idea (Slayer).
>
> if someone has never touched Halo before, what’s a reasonsable rank you’d expect them to place without any previous Halo experience and only a few social matches to warm up with?
>
> I ended up getting silver 5, which I’m fine with but towards the end of my placing matches, all the teams I was placed on were getting STOMPED!!! This frustrated me because as a brand new player, I was typically 1st or second in my team and usually by quite a bit. I’m wondering if I would have at least hit Gold if a few matches were more of an even playing field. It just felt odd to be placing ahead of people on my team whose spartan ranks were maxed out and I don’t even know the maps or can’t even navigate the menus properly lol.
>
> This is game seems to have an extraordinarily high skill gap and I was very humbled to see some good players out there.
>
> idk, I’m a little down and a little disappointed in my performance. Would you consider this normal or decent for someone who has never touched the game and has no experience? Any tips to help me get better and move up the ranks.
>

the thing about h5 ranked is it’s more reliant on how much you play if you grind it like crazy you could hit high platinum however i personally never play ranked besides for placements so im stuck in gold

> 2535468514153692;9:
> > 2727626560040591;5:
> > I can’t really say if your placement is good or bad because it all depends on a player’s overall skill level in general which I don’t know yours. You also shouldn’t rely on the SR rank to determine that (1-152) since that only goes off of playing time and not skill level. That being said, bronze is the lowest skill rank and you placed higher than that so you must have some kind of skill.
> >
> > On another note, I’m glad you found Halo, but it sucks that you didn’t get to experience Halo in its prime and this is the game you’re starting with. If you ever get the chance, try out MCC and experience the previous Halos and their campaigns. The first 2 Halos are the PC versions and MCC is chocked full of bugs, but it’s worth playing if you want to get the full Halo experience.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Looking back, I shouldn’t have even tried to place soon after learning the controls of the game and doing a few social matches. Because of past FPS experience, I was a guy who had great aim, fast reactions but absolutely no sense of spawns, weapons or anything else. So I was easily outrunning people in terrible positions and getting punished more on my own ignorance than my opponents skil. I mean, the gold and low level platinums didn’t seem very good at all so I’m assuming I’ll at least pass that next season. I just really hope to improve to where I get get to where you’re at one day, the skill ceiling really attracted me to this game and I can’t wait to see how much I’m going to improve down the road.
>
> Ya know, I hear that a lot. That I missed out on Halo and honestly that’s what really peaked my interest. There seems to be such a strong community to a series that’s been out over a decade and hearing everyone talk about “the good old days” sealed the deal for me to check it out.
>
> MM collection is being downloaded tomorrow. No spoilers. :slight_smile:

you go on a halo ring sorry more spoiling halo for you lol but on another note the best part about mcc for me was the convince of all the halo games for me and my friends to play it’s nice to sit down with some buddies and 1v1 or play some co op campaign together

> 2535468514153692;1:
>
>
>
>
>
>

First of all, welcome to the community Spartan. It is a great thing to have new people playing the game. The best way to rank up, is with a team that communicates. I usually play solo, so my highest rank I’ve been able to achieve is gold 5. My biggest suggestion to you, is have fun!

Silver makes sense
The game is made in the sense the first time you ever rank in arena ever you can’t get higher than platinum and it’s harder to rank up those first ever 10 matches. Next season will rank you more fairly.
Example I’m usually ranked mid onyx lvl. At points I’ve made new accounts (yes hate me) not for the intention of smurfing but research. That’s how I’ve figured this out while other friends did the same.
So I get high plat on a brand new account. So silver 5 for you’re first ever time id say is pretty good

Welcome, Spartan! Halo has far more to offer than just the multiplayer. The music is incredible. The stories and universe are amazing and huge. The community is not full of 8 year olds, however, debates can get very heated to say the least. If you want to watch some good halo YouTubers, you might want to check out these guys.
Luke TheNotable: tips on how to “git gud” at multiplayer.
Hidden Xperia, LateNightGaming, The Act Man, Favyn: Halo discussion on important and controversial topics.
Halo Canon and Hidden Xperia: Lore
I also follow HaloFollower for news and some top 10s, but the community generally dislikes halofollower, Ultimate Halo for some random stuff, and Wangtime just for -Yoink- posting.

> 2533274825830455;12:
> > 2533274873843883;4:
> > But it’s no different in 5 than it’s ever been in any other Halo. Skill-based matchmaking is more of a Halo aspiration than a Halo reality. The scenario you described where you consistently over- or under-perform your teammates… this is the norm in Halo, not the exception. The game is designed for one player on the winning team to go 19/4 while everyone else just gives up assists and are expected to feel good about it, as if a win like that has meaning or value. And the losing team? They all go deeply negative because they were badly matched but are supposed to derive satisfaction from the experience because “sportsmanship.”
>
> Would be interesting if any of this was actually true.

If this doesn’t describe your Halo experience then you have my envy.

When I first got back into Halo 5, placed in Gold.

Seeing how you stated that you have no previous Halo experience, I’d say that Silver is decent.