BR vs. DMR test results

Clicker here for youtube video demonstrates bullet spread of both weapons side by side.

DMR seems to dominate most maps because it operates well at all ranges… Including semi reliable at close range.
BR seems to be useful in mostly smaller maps with more in-door combat. The only time I see it used effectively on large maps like Ragnarok is as a buddy weapon to be an assist weapon.

Proposed solution… Reduce RoF by 3-5 percent? It will still dominate long range combat and make BR and light rifle see more action in multiplayer… This reduction in rate of fire should be barely noticible but should give BR a better chance in close to mid range engagements.

I absolutely agree. The slightest nerf to the rate of fire would still keep it as the same weapon it is now, just less reliable at closer ranges and will even give people a sliver of extra time to run to cover at long ranges. This small change would really shake things up for the good. I really hope they consider this

I agree with the BR being slightly underpowered. I am not sure about whether or not 3-5% fire rate reduction will help or not. There are a few threads on here that suggest returning the BR to a 4 shot kill like the old days. I feel that would be more satisfying to Halo fans.

The BR (IMO) should stay as it is. It already kills fast enough, it’s just that the DMR kills way faster at the point where the DMR is in need of a nerf.

That video doesnt really prove imbalance. The person is working on their own, Halo 4 is a team game, br is an awesome team shooting weapon.

If your guna lone wolf then ofc use a DMR.

Hate all these “experts” who demand Buffs and Nerfs which could potentially ruin the game.

The fact that the BR is a 3 round burst means it shouldnt have the same kill time as the DMR.

> That video doesnt really prove imbalance. The person is working on their own, Halo 4 is a team game, br is an awesome team shooting weapon.
>
> If your guna lone wolf then ofc use a DMR.
>
> Hate all these “experts” who demand Buffs and Nerfs which could potentially ruin the game.
>
> The fact that the BR is a 3 round burst means it shouldnt have the same kill time as the DMR.

Doesn’t prove anything. If the DMR is better then a team of 4 are better off if they are all using the DMR… Simple.

> The BR (IMO) should stay as it is. It already kills fast enough, it’s just that the DMR kills way faster at the point where the DMR is in need of a nerf.

Agreed. It’s not that the BR is weak, it’s certainly the fact that DMR in H4 is more accurate and fires faster than it did in Reach. Not saying it needs more bloom, just saying rate of fire needs to be slowed done a bit. Watching videos at PAX, DMR rate of fire was much too slow… Current rate of fire is almost right, just almost.

If the BR gets a buff than light rifle will also need tweaks… The better solution would be to nerf DMR rate of fire. They can even do this gradually. To -3% then -5 percent and at most -7%… It might still have a chance close up but it should lose consistently at close range, but that is a good thing as it is what is supposed to distinguish it from BR

Most people fire DMR at slower rate anyway, only hyper competitives will complain because a more skilled shooter DMR vs DMR… This nerf closes the skill gap a little bit. But really, 5 percent in the name of balancing BR vs DMR. Worth it.

I totally agree, the problem is that the DMR fires a tad bit too quickly for a ‘marksman’ rifle. Plus the bloom almost doesn’t do anything but I guess people will complain if 343 changes that.

I agree, DMR needs a nerf. I would think adding a tad bit of recoil would do the job better than a RoF reduction because it would require constant adjustment. All the other primary weapons are well balanced, but DMR is just too strong and too accurate. There is no beating it beyond midrange.

> I agree, DMR needs a nerf. I would think adding a tad bit of recoil would do the job better than a RoF reduction because it would require constant adjustment. All the other primary weapons are well balanced, but DMR is just too strong and too accurate. There is no beating it beyond midrange.

I defiantly would beware of promoting “nerf the accuracy” idea. That idea spawned the concept of “bloom” and we all know how loved that topic is. Anyway, the whole point or goal of bloom was to get people to pace their shots and shoot slower. That produced a grey area question of when should I pace and when should I spam. It was frustrating to the larger part of the community.

The problem is, it’s a marksmen’s rifle. Often described as a mini-sniper. When you think sniper rifle in terms of Halo, you think, precession with slow rate of fire. That’s the niche DMR is supposed to fit, medium and long range. Mini, snipe. It should not be beating BR in close combat.

This tiny nerf of 5 percent keeps it at the best choice. I say best choice because most maps for H4 are long range, the DMR should stay as top choice. It simply shoots too fast.

> > I agree, DMR needs a nerf. I would think adding a tad bit of recoil would do the job better than a RoF reduction because it would require constant adjustment. All the other primary weapons are well balanced, but DMR is just too strong and too accurate. There is no beating it beyond midrange.
>
> I defiantly would beware of promoting “nerf the accuracy” idea. That idea spawned the concept of “bloom” and we all know how loved that topic is. Anyway, the whole point or goal of bloom was to get people to pace their shots and shoot slower. That produced a grey area question of when should I pace and when should I spam. It was frustrating to the larger part of the community.
>
> The problem is, it’s a marksmen’s rifle. Often described as a mini-sniper. When you think sniper rifle in terms of Halo, you think, precession with slow rate of fire. That’s the niche DMR is supposed to fit, medium and long range. Mini, snipe. It should not be beating BR in close combat.
>
> This tiny nerf of 5 percent keeps it at the best choice. I say best choice because most maps for H4 are long range, the DMR should stay as top choice. It simply shoots too fast.

+1 to this DMR needs a slower rate of fire

It’s funny me and my buddies were just talking about this. A slight reduction of RoF would and should do the trick.

+1 to RoF decrease.

Something’s going to happen to the DMR eventually, RoF would probably be the best way to tone it down without killing it completely.