BR V's DMR competitively whats your thoughts?

So ive always been a DMR fan. I was a huge Reach player and i really loved it. In Halo 4 i have always been most comfortable with the DMR. I could easily win a 1v1 with any other normal weapon. I stopped playing Halo 4 right before the weapons update. I started again about 3 months ago and have been really concentrating on my competitive side of playing.

I have been doing well, but yesterday i noticed when i came up against another player. He was equally skilled as me. The reason i noticed the 1v1’s that we actually had was because he won both of them. I killed him a few times too but had help from team mates.
The two times in question we met, both had full shields and i would say fired at the same time. However i had a DMR and he had a BR. He seemed to kill me REALLY fast, before i could even take the final shot i was dead.

So i looked up some stats on the weapons after the update. The BR is 4 shot kill with 1.4 kill time. The DMR is 5 shot with 1.6 kill time!

I was shocked!

I am all about playing to win now. I will happily change to using the BR if it is the better all round weapon (even though i just got a new DMR skin). I am a bit of a n00b however with the BR. I like to have one loadout slot for my main weapon and one for PP or AR (and spare for power weapons). How does the BR go as a main goto weapon? I play mostly BTB, how does it go long range, is it completely useless?

Whats it like V’s AR and SAW? Anyother tricks or things i should know about?

I also noticed the Carbine has a faster kill time, explains my timely deaths to carbine players (that i just put down to lag previously).

Do you like the BR? Keep in mind i never played Halo 3 online. I started with Reach which is why i pick the weapons i do.

Pick the weapon that enhances your performance and enjoy the most. Making the transition to BR will take a bit of time, but sooner or later you’ll find yourself more familiar with the Battle Rifle and getting the hang of it. The BR is an incredible go-to weapon, having one of the fastest kill times of the primary weapons. However, the BR has a different feel and lacks the range of the DMR. The best weapon for you will depend on the gametypes and maps you head into, but more importantly, your playstyle and the combat situations you will find yourself in. The Battle Rifle is arguably the best primary weapon in Halo, but focuses on mid-range combat scenarios. The DMR is better suited for combat at long distances, such as sniping across a large map like Ragnarok. Usually, the DMR will be the more favorable choice for players in BTB.

The SAW absolutely tears through enemies. It deals nearly double the damage of AR, and has an incredibly fast rate of fire, which can scare enemies and cause them to panic, or even destabilize and throw off their aim. The SAW also has a bigger clip and more ammo, I believe. The SAW is basically the older brother and power-weapon (Ordnance) version of the AR. Or you could also think of the SAW as the Assault Rifle on steroids, like 343i has said.

I too, started my Halo multiplayer experience with Halo: Reach. The Battle Rifle has become my favorite weapon.

Carbine is an incredible weapon as well. Try out the weapons, and see which one works best. For you.

I am better with the DMR, which is a shame because the BR is the superior weapon.
The only thing is, the 3X zoom on the DMR is either a blessing or a curse depending on the map, so what I suggest is always keep a DMR primary loadout and a BR primary loadout, and which one I choose depends on the map.
Or you could use “Firepower” and carry around both though, personally, I don’t like to be without my trusty AR as a backup.

I think both a far to easy to use but I would say use the BR is superior. I use the BR in BTB especially on maps like Exile which has a mixture of close, medium and long range encounters. Obviously I chose to stick to the close to medium range battles where the BR is dominant, wouldn’t even attempt in engaging in a long range battle.

Both weapons have their perks but the BR can be used very effectively on pretty much any map par Ragnarok. Had I wanted to engage in long range battles I would have chosen the DMR however I feel due to Flinch, long range counters are not fun and unpredictable, not so much a case of skill but a case of who got screwed over by Flinch more. I prefer close range engagements with the BR which may be easy to use, but effectively the player with the better strafe and shot will usually come out on top.

Both weapons need an aim assist decrease, then I will be finally happy with the overall balance of the primary weapons par the Suppressor. However with the automatics being so limited in the first place, people will always call them under powered.

I would personally try the BR out or if you like BTB, the Carbine because it is much more stable should you engage in battles outside of the red reticle. The Carbine has something around a 0.02 slower killtime with the BR. I just think they are on a whole, better weapons.

When I’m going try hard mode/let’s get competitive, there is no substitute for the assault rifle.

If you were in a 4v4, 2v2 or 1v1 game I would strongly suggest the BR because the maps are smaller and there aren’t very big sight lines, exactly the conditions that the BR excels at. if you are playing BTB I would suggest DMR on most maps because its range and accuracy is too good to ignore, however in saying this, the DMR suits my style of play on BTB which is hang back and pick of enemies from afar. If you’re the more of a running and gunning player, I would recommend the BR.

I also started MM with Reach, so also favour the DMR (an elegant weapon).
However, a couple of points:
In H4 SWAT, [apart from the Complex map, which is basically DMR at long range and pistol inside the structures] the BR is amazing. I have gotten double kills with one burst when opponents have been close together or one slightly behind the other.
In BTB apart from Rag, the BR does the job.

But to really get a feel for the BR, play H3 MM - fantastic fun. The Valhalla map with BRs is brilliant.

Competitively the BR is the superior weapon for a variety of reasons. This is why Team Throwdown and PGL settings have BR starts and DMRs as map pickups only.

> When I’m going try hard mode/let’s get competitive, there is no substitute for the assault rifle.

Oh really? Must not be very effective then since it’s not even in your top 3 slayer ToDs.

My play style is very supportive. I like to hold positions or map points. I really only push very hard when our team is dominating and i need to find guys to kill.

I seem to be equally as good with the BR as the DMR, and i have also had lots of success with the Carbine. As i always run out of ammo i am always picking up other weapons. Im not a fan of the carbine as my aim sometimes isnt the best and you have to land alot more shots. I do love it, but for me it seems to be more frustrating.

My main queries were about the BR at a distance… Ive seen lots of people with the BR on Ragnarok and they seem to do fine. I do have my loadouts set up for objective games, DMR, BR, Assault (firepower with the AR) and vehicle maps.

If everyone says the BR is a little more superior, thats the answer i needed.

> Competitively the BR is the superior weapon for a variety of reasons. This is why Team Throwdown and PGL settings have BR starts and DMRs as map pickups only.
>
>
>
> > When I’m going try hard mode/let’s get competitive, there is no substitute for the assault rifle.
>
> Oh really? Must not be very effective then since it’s not even in your top 3 slayer ToDs.

Hey man i watched one of your ‘how to start ctf’ fileshares when you linked the 1v1 with that ‘guy.’ Wow, ive always struggled with the sniper, but after watching your gameplay, only going one scope, taking your time to line up the shots, change weapon descope, etc, etc. Ive REALLY improved with it, getting 9 kills with one sniper yesterday, 8 were headshot kills. Before i struggles to get one or two headshots as i was rushing so much.
Just wanted to say thanks for uploading it. -creepy voice- i know all your secrets haha :wink:

It’s a touchy and complicated subject i think.

I prefer the BR since i like 3 round burst guns and how they behave.That and i am more of a close to mid range player.Never really cared for long range.

That said i have used the DMR but only out of necessity on certain maps and modes in order to combat other DMR’s.Though i quit Halo 4 before the Weapon tuning update, because i just couldn’t take the horrific lag anymore.Since back then the DMR was the beat all weapon and could barely be contested if it was in the right hands.

Competitively they both are about equal in this regard.Though people curve towards the BR due to appearing that it takes more skill to hit all 3 shots from a burst in high level play.Which is not wrong.Probably the reason why MLG bans the marksman rifles in CoD competitions lol.

I feel bad for those of you who joined in at Reach. You missed all the good times back in H2… Halo 3 sucked, even if I had 6 50’s and good stats. It was just a mediocre game. Reach traumatized me to the point where my brain has blocked it out to prevent further trauma. But that’s not what this thread is about.

The BR was the go-to all purpose gun for two games, then it was removed in Reach for the inconsistent DMR (in Reach). For a lot of people, the BR is an old nostalgic friend that shaped the way they strafe and handle direct encounters with other players. It’s an old staple that 343i made the best short-mid range rifle. Carbine kills faster but is harder to use and chews through ammo even quicker.

The DMR is a really good gun, and while it’s kill time is 0.2 seconds slower than the BR, it’s easier to actually get that kill on a consistent basis and across more encounters due to its much greater effective range and laser accuracy.

TLDnR: Close range encounters the BR is better, but the DMR is arguably more useful and consistent in more situations. Especially larger maps.

> I feel bad for those of you who joined in at Reach. You missed all the good times back in H2… Halo 3 sucked, even if I had 6 50’s and good stats. It was just a mediocre game. Reach traumatized me to the point where my brain has blocked it out to prevent further trauma. But that’s not what this thread is about.

why do u think h3 is mediocre? actually is was halos peak of competitive gaming

> Hey man i watched one of your ‘how to start ctf’ fileshares when you linked the 1v1 with that ‘guy.’ Wow, ive always struggled with the sniper, but after watching your gameplay, only going one scope, taking your time to line up the shots, change weapon descope, etc, etc. Ive REALLY improved with it, getting 9 kills with one sniper yesterday, 8 were headshot kills. Before i struggles to get one or two headshots as i was rushing so much.
> Just wanted to say thanks for uploading it. -creepy voice- i know all your secrets haha :wink:

Glad it helped you out. My fileshare is mostly just collected clips for bragging rights but if they helped you improve your game that’s awesome!

Just put on the firepower tactical package and use them both. That’s what I do. BR primary/DMR secondary

> Just put on the firepower tactical package and use them both. That’s what I do. BR primary/DMR secondary

It’s a waste of a perk to give yourself 2 guns that fill the same role.

> > I feel bad for those of you who joined in at Reach. You missed all the good times back in H2… Halo 3 sucked, even if I had 6 50’s and good stats. It was just a mediocre game. Reach traumatized me to the point where my brain has blocked it out to prevent further trauma. But that’s not what this thread is about.
>
> why do u think h3 is mediocre? actually is was halos peak of competitive gaming

No, Halo 2 was. Several of the pro’s who have been around since the beginning will say the same. Excluding a small handful of individuals, all the big players and teams started as professional or semi-professional Halo 2 players. That’s what brought everyone in.Halo 3 road on the success & franchise name of it’s predecessor with a graphical update on a new system.

The melee mechanics were bonkers, the way you had to ‘lead’ with the BR was dumb (and unique to that game), and the weapons sounded like they were made by Mattel. Excluding The Pit, most maps were not good for competitive play (in comparison to maps like Midship, Warlock, Sanctuary, and Ivory tower), and the game felt “heavy” and “clunky” in comparison to the fast & fluid action of Halo: CE, Halo 2, and now Halo 4 (H4 has good mechanics and fluid play, but crap maps and other issues). Reach nearly killed competitive Halo entirely, so lets just not open that can of worms.

Halo 3’s one “saving grace” was Forge, which only turned out a couple of solid (competitive) maps over Halo 3’s lifetime. By the time Midship and some of the other popular maps were remade for Halo 3, they didn’t play nearly as well due to Halo 3’s mechanics or a lot of the competitive players had already moved on by that point.

Everyone has there opinions, favorite game in the series, and started playing at a different time in the franchise history. But coming from someone who was an avid player for nearly ten years straight (H:CE through Reach) and played the games at a solid skill level throughout Halo’s history, that’s my feelings on the matter. My friends who’ve been around as long are of the same opinion.

(38 in H2 Team Hardcore, six level 50’s in Halo 3 (MLG playlist too), and several Onyx ranks in Reach. Not measuring E-Peen, just stating experience level)

Apologies for off topic, and hope this doesn’t De-rail the thread.

> > Hey man i watched one of your ‘how to start ctf’ fileshares when you linked the 1v1 with that ‘guy.’ Wow, ive always struggled with the sniper, but after watching your gameplay, only going one scope, taking your time to line up the shots, change weapon descope, etc, etc. Ive REALLY improved with it, getting 9 kills with one sniper yesterday, 8 were headshot kills. Before i struggles to get one or two headshots as i was rushing so much.
> > Just wanted to say thanks for uploading it. -creepy voice- i know all your secrets haha :wink:
>
> Glad it helped you out. My fileshare is mostly just collected clips for bragging rights but if they helped you improve your game that’s awesome!

It was the little things. I have always had trouble getting head shots and after watching what you do i found i was rushing and 2X scoping. You take all the time in the world and slowly aim in 1X scope. I tried that and WOW so much easier. Also changing weapons to descope and standing mostly still while you aim (i would strafe)

Back on topic, im going to try the BR as my main weapon and DMR on Ragnarok. I think Halo 5 gun kill speeds will/might be the same. So better i guet used to the BR now that have to learn it when the new game comes out.

> > I feel bad for those of you who joined in at Reach. You missed all the good times back in H2… Halo 3 sucked, even if I had 6 50’s and good stats. It was just a mediocre game. Reach traumatized me to the point where my brain has blocked it out to prevent further trauma. But that’s not what this thread is about.
>
> why do u think h3 is mediocre? actually is was halos peak of competitive gaming

While you have a point looking if you’re look at Halo 3’s success in competitve gaming through say MLG then you have a point. H3 had high attendance rates with players, spectators, and large prize pools. I’d have to agree but it’s important to remember a lot of that came off of H2’s success with MLG. Looking at the core game though, I’d have to disagree.
From an online competitive standpoint Halo 2 was the pinnacle of the series. I personally enjoyed Halo 3 more than Halo 2, only due to the fact that I didn’t have XBL until the later years of Halo 2’s life cycle. A majority of my friends list is made of players from H3 which leaves a lot of fun memories etc. Halo 2 had things like clan match playlists (before Bungie released the matchmaking update), tougher ranking system, button glitches (BRX and RRX) which widened the competitive gap between players and not to mention many including myself would say that Halo 2 still has the best collection of competitive maps in the series. H2 was by no means perfect and did have its issues but from a competitive standpoint H3’s were more apparent.

The most glaring issues with H3 were the BR spread and subpar shot registration during online play. There have been many instances in H3 where I would lose a BR battle that didn’t feel like I should’ve lost and when I went into theater mode I could see that the bullets from my last shot did in fact hit my opponent in the head however the shots did not register so they lived. What’s ironic is that in essence the BR spread/shot registration can be attributed to an actual competitive idea, shot leading (instead of hitscan detection seen in H2, Reach and H4). Basically if someone is 200 yards in head of you, you needed to aim where the person will be by the time the bullet gets there. A great idea in theory however in practice (online matchmaking) it did not work so well, essentially making the “go to” weapon that you are supposed to rely on quite unreliable. I must note however that on lan H3 plays very well in that regard.
I personally see H1 as the most competitive but that’s a debate for a different day lol

> > Just put on the firepower tactical package and use them both. That’s what I do. BR primary/DMR secondary
>
> It’s a waste of a perk to give yourself 2 guns that fill the same role.

I honestly thought that the same thing when I first used the load out but in all honesty having both “go to” weapons has its benefits. The biggest is not needing to reload as often. When one is low I can immediately just switch and keep firing making it very helpful when team shooting etc. I used to use the boltshot as a secondary but I found that I don’t spend all that much time in close quarter combat scenarios

Oh and for the record I definitely use the BR more

Pffft both are whack, Carbine all the way!

I do like the carbine. Its the best sounding weapon i think. However you have to land every shot to be good at it. Thats me out, i have trouble with aiming.

So ive been using BR for 2 solid days now. WOW, talk about quick kills!! I have been destroying every game i play. I have noticed not many people even use the DMR anymore. I can 100% see why. I just wish i had the bones skin (like my DMR) for the BR.

Blast skin would be nice…