BR takes more skill then AR? Let the debate begin!

<mark>Do not create/use alternate accounts to bypass forum bans.</mark>

So, with people out there so very insistent the BR takes all this skill, all while promoting the underpowered AR to be nothing more then some easy to use, spray and prey weapon. I want to begin a discussion about what has these people so convinced the BR takes more skill then the AR by providing their reasons. And those who may feel differently can openly discuss there opinions. I hope this will bring some closure to this rediculous argument and promote an improved, more balanced gameplay experience.
I’ll begin with my thoughts…

  • You need to aim and shoot with both firearms. BR requires more timed shots. While the AR requires constant aim on a moving target. - With the latest iterations of the BR able to fire so quickly in-between bursts and with the bullets so tight within each burst, it’s pretty much an automatic now (with players spamming the BR no less then an AR). - AR requires controlled, manual bursts to be effective at longer ranges. BR does not. - The AR has a slower TTK, even within it’s own range, and yet, a player needs to deal with it’s bullet spread, the lose of potential due to the stray bullets that come with it, and requires more centered body mass shots. BR is more forgiving in that way due to it’s tight spread, accuracy, and faster TTK. - BR is effective at mid-range and every other range. While the AR can barely handle it’s own (was absolutely useless in Reach BTW). - The most used weapon is the BR. A clear indication of not only it’s power but ease of use. Thru history, people have always resorted to the easiest (and most lethel). If pro league players didn’t resort to it, they’re be putting themselves at a disadvantage, not something you want to do when you get paid to win. - BR has always had a scope to make targeting easier at range. AR has not.

With the removal of headshot multiplier on the AR, you can shoot someone in the pinky toe, and it be just as effective as anywhere else on the body. Whereas the BR requires consecutive headshots to be effective. Even an unshielded Spartan can survive 2 bursts from a BR if taken to the body.

Any Gun1 VS Gun2 argument is pretty worthless IMO. The both the BR and the AR have their uses in Halo. It all comes down to the scenario and personal preference. I think, all around, the skill-level it takes for all of the guns and armor abilities is pretty equal.

At a Pro level, I think that the AR takes more skill than the BR to use effectively. Not so much that aim and shoot part but being able to get close enough to a player on the enemy team to put yourself in the AR effective range without being mowed down. Even then if both the enemy player and you started shooting at the same time (within both weapon’s effective range), more likely than not a Pro level player will be able to land all their shots and get the kill first due to a faster TTK. So to effectively use an AR seems far more difficult than doing the same with a BR. Interestingly this is the exact opposite for most new players.

I like the ar better but the be takes more skill because you have to land head shots for effectivity

I’m sorry, but there’s no debate. The BR has a much larger skill gap. It’s fact, OP.

I actually have to control my bursts with the AR to be effective beyond point blank. BR I just spam that trigger since CoF doesn’t degrade at all. BR also has a nice cushy and wide range of effectiveness, hence AR takes some skill in creating optimal positional situations (like the guy above me said). But sometimes I fire the AR at BR ranges just for the fun of it.

AR is harder, since its more difficult to aim precisely. I don’t like how the smart scope makes it so the reticle doesn’t inflate, so now it takes less skill to use it. All the BR takes is spamming the trigger. The AR is better in close quarters and is good for long range also. Love its look In Halo 5 btw.

I don’t know how anyone can consider this a debate, but I’ll tackle the initial post nonetheless (responses in bold):

> 2535473533110754;1:
> I’ll begin with my thoughts…
>
> - You need to aim and shoot with both firearms. BR requires more timed shots. While the AR requires constant aim on a moving target. AR has a larger reticle, allowing more room for error.
> - With the latest iterations of the BR able to fire so quickly in-between bursts and with the bullets so tight within each burst, it’s pretty much an automatic now (with players spamming the BR no less then an AR). But the AR is actually automatic, as opposed to “pretty much” an automatic (which I disagree with).
> - AR requires controlled, manual bursts to be effective at longer ranges. BR does not. BR has a smaller reticle to offset its more controlled handling.
> - The AR has a slower TTK, even within it’s own range, and yet, a player needs to deal with it’s bullet spread, the lose of potential due to the stray bullets that come with it, and requires more centered body mass shots. BR is more forgiving in that way due to it’s tight spread, accuracy, and faster TTK. Each weapon’s built for specific ranges. AR has worse accuracy because it’s a primary close range weapon and has a larger reticle. BR has better accuracy because it’s a mid-long range weapon with a smaller reticle.
> - BR is effective at mid-range and every other range. While the AR can barely handle it’s own (was absolutely useless in Reach BTW). A weapon’s usefulness doesn’t dictate the skill it takes to use it.
> - The most used weapon is the BR. A clear indication of not only it’s power but ease of use. Thru history, people have always resorted to the easiest (and most lethel). If pro league players didn’t resort to it, they’re be putting themselves at a disadvantage, not something you want to do when you get paid to win. It’s the most used weapon because it’s useful in the most situations. The AR being useless for mid-long range encounters doesn’t make it more skill based.
> - BR has always had a scope to make targeting easier at range. AR has not. AR isn’t a long range weapon, of course it doesn’t have a scope. It’s meant to be used at ranges that don’t require a scope.

I don’t intend to respond to any counter arguments because some of those points were just ridiculous.

AR shot anywhere on body with some spray and pray, so as long as you get STK its a kill.
BR have to get 3 body and 1 head for a perfect kill or you have to fire more shots as punishment wich will ussually result in your death.

One i just have to track over my target. The other i have to track and aim where my shots go. Objectivly speeking all autos take less skill to use.

They both require skill in thier own ways. Although I would say that as far as straight up firefights go, the BR has a larger skill curve due to the damage difference between body and head shots. But in the context of the larger sandbox, it doesn’t really make sense to compare them. They’re meant to fill different niches within the sandbox.

Lost me when you said “spray and prey”…

guns are guns, they are balanced for different nichés and skillsets.

> 2533274870591903;10:
> AR shot anywhere on body with some spray and pray, so as long as you get STK its a kill.
> BR have to get 3 body and 1 head for a perfect kill or you have to fire more shots as punishment wich will ussually result in your death.
>
> One i just have to track over my target. The other i have to track and aim where my shots go. Objectivly speeking all autos take less skill to use.

Depends on the situation.Close quarters, AR takes a little less skill than the BR. Long range, AR takes a LOT more skill to use than the BR.

> 2535456533691021;12:
> Lost me when you said “spray and prey”…
>
> guns are guns, they are balanced for different nichés and skillsets.

Well you cant really say where exactly all your shots go with an AR. Only that they radiate out from the center, reason for the burst fire, so there is some spay and pray with it even when using it effectively

Edit
@person above
Very True but thats when you want something to cover the ranges youre less effective at. You can win a long range battle with a pistol and a shotgun but i wouldnt seek long distance battles if i had those.

These arguments are awful and this thread is pointless.

Do we really need to beat a dead horse?

<mark>Do not create/use alternate accounts to bypass forum bans.</mark>

> 2661949065475413;2:
> With the removal of headshot multiplier on the AR, you can shoot someone in the pinky toe, and it be just as effective as anywhere else on the body. Whereas the BR requires consecutive headshots to be effective. Even an unshielded Spartan can survive 2 bursts from a BR if taken to the body.

That is simply not true. You can kill a player just as quick with 3 body shots followed by the lethel headshot with the BR. Oh, and if you shoot a player with the AR in the pinky toe (or anywhere else, other then centre body mass) you will not be as effective, due to spread and the lose of bullets. The BR should take 2 bursts to kill a player without sheilds; the AR takes 6 shots.

Should there even be a debate? AR has a little spray and pray tendencies to it. BR you must hit all shots or else that AR will take you.

<mark>Do not create/use alternate accounts to bypass forum bans.</mark>

> 2533274819567236;9:
> I don’t know how anyone can consider this a debate, but I’ll tackle the initial post nonetheless (responses in bold):
>
>
> > 2535473533110754;1:
> > I’ll begin with my thoughts…
> >
> >
> >
> > - You need to aim and shoot with both firearms. BR requires more timed shots. While the AR requires constant aim on a moving target. AR has a larger reticle, allowing more room for error.
> >
> >
> > - With the latest iterations of the BR able to fire so quickly in-between bursts and with the bullets so tight within each burst, it’s pretty much an automatic now (with players spamming the BR no less then an AR). But the AR is actually automatic, as opposed to “pretty much” an automatic (which I disagree with).
> >
> >
> > - AR requires controlled, manual bursts to be effective at longer ranges. BR does not. BR has a smaller reticle to offset its more controlled handling.
> >
> >
> > - The AR has a slower TTK, even within it’s own range, and yet, a player needs to deal with it’s bullet spread, the lose of potential due to the stray bullets that come with it, and requires more centered body mass shots. BR is more forgiving in that way due to it’s tight spread, accuracy, and faster TTK. Each weapon’s built for specific ranges. AR has worse accuracy because it’s a primary close range weapon and has a larger reticle. BR has better accuracy because it’s a mid-long range weapon with a smaller reticle.
> >
> >
> > - BR is effective at mid-range and every other range. While the AR can barely handle it’s own (was absolutely useless in Reach BTW). A weapon’s usefulness doesn’t dictate the skill it takes to use it.
> >
> >
> > - The most used weapon is the BR. A clear indication of not only it’s power but ease of use. Thru history, people have always resorted to the easiest (and most lethel). If pro league players didn’t resort to it, they’re be putting themselves at a disadvantage, not something you want to do when you get paid to win. It’s the most used weapon because it’s useful in the most situations. The AR being useless for mid-long range encounters doesn’t make it more skill based.
> >
> >
> > - BR has always had a scope to make targeting easier at range. AR has not. AR isn’t a long range weapon, of course it doesn’t have a scope. It’s meant to be used at ranges that don’t require a scope.
>
>
> I don’t intend to respond to any counter arguments because some of those points were just ridiculous.

Then I am not going to respond to any of you’re ridiculous counters! Thanks for the constructive discussion!

> 2533274803896054;4:
> At a Pro level, I think that the AR takes more skill than the BR to use effectively. Not so much that aim and shoot part but being able to get close enough to a player on the enemy team to put yourself in the AR effective range without being mowed down. Even then if both the enemy player and you started shooting at the same time (within both weapon’s effective range), more likely than not a Pro level player will be able to land all their shots and get the kill first due to a faster TTK. So to effectively use an AR seems far more difficult than doing the same with a BR. Interestingly this is the exact opposite for most new players.

How are more of the replies in this thread not mentioning this? This is the correct answer.

<mark>Do not create/use alternate accounts to bypass forum bans.</mark>

> 2533274849023789;17:
> Should there even be a debate? AR has a little spray and pray tendencies to it. BR you must hit all shots or else that AR will take you.

That’s simply not true either. You can totally miss and you’ll still win, due to the AR’s limited range and slower TTK.