BR/DMR/Light Rifle/Carbine balance

As you all surely know, there has been a fair amount of controversy over the three “main” weapons in Halo. As such, I feel it is appropriate to address certain balance concerns to prevent one of the three from becoming THE weapon of choice in H4.

First the BR. It should be available as a loadout almost always as it is the weapon of choice for most people. It should definitely be a four shot weapon, none of this 5 shot stuff. HOWEVER, it should be fairly useless long range. At close range, it should be fine, but an AR user who gets the jump on a BR user (assuming both players land their shots) should ALWAYS beat a BR user at close ranges barring unforeseen tactical error on the AR user’s part. As far as mid range goes, the BR should be quite effective. It should have no bloom and minimal recoil ( I mean come on, we can flip tanks but we cant withstand gun recoil…).

Now the DMR. The DMR should be a long range/ somewhat mid range weapon. It needs to have slower kill times than the BR though to prevent it from becoming OP. It should be a five shot kill weapon and be very accurate over long ranges. Bloom (however much i disagree with the concept) should affect the DMR so that people aren’t getting DMR sniped across maps. This weapon should also be available as a loadout for people who prefer long ranges, especially since the H4 maps thus far have been pretty big. A DMR user should beat a BR user most if not all of the time at long ranges, and about 50% of the time mid range (ideally). Of course skill will always play a role in who wins, but in general they should be about even at mid ranges.

As for the light rifle, not much is known. If it were my choice, it would not be a loadout weapon. Instead, it would be a combination of the BR and the DMR. Effective at middle and long ranges, a four shot kill, etc. (basically the H3 BR). With this though, would come some sort of penalty. Low magazine size and a bit of bloom would hopefully balance it. Furthermore, it would be a ordinance drop item; so you would have to choose between a shotgun and a light rifle. Alternatively, it could be a power weapon on the map, with one or two available. It should combine the best of the DMR and the BR while still having some of their drawbacks. Once again, not much is known about the weapon, but imo this would be a cool way to do it.

Lastly, the carbine. It absolutely must maintain its position as the fastest killtime weapon, and it should be available as a loadout weapon. It should be effective in the same range as the BR, but its killtime should be somewhat faster. If a player with a carbine shoots another player in the head ONLY, not missing any shots and utilizing the carbines rate of fire (it wouldnt have bloom btw), it should kill him X amount of time faster than the BR. This would be an extremely hard weapon to use, just as in previous Halos, and it would only be supremely effective if you can make headshots consistently.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment/add your own opinions. Nothing negative about H4 as a whole though, I dont want this to turn into one of “those” threads.

TL;DR- BR should be best @ mid ranges and have fast kill time, no bloom
DMR should be best at long ranges, have some bloom, and slightly slower kill times
Light Rifle- Effective at both long and mid ranges, almost no bloom, same kill time as BR, but has to be earned (I.E. not a loadout)
Carbine- fastest kill times, no bloom, but dependent on head shots

Someone get me a grappling hook; I’m gonna try and scale this wall.

But the Light Rifle apparently has a pre-order skin with the console, and it wouldn’t make sense for it to have a skin and not be a loadout weapon. So my guess is that it is available as a loadout weapon.

> Someone get me a grappling hook; I’m gonna try and scale this wall.
>
> But the Light Rifle apparently has a pre-order skin with the console, and it wouldn’t make sense for it to have a skin and not be a loadout weapon. So my guess is that it is available as a loadout weapon.

You got a link?

We’ll see when we’ve played a few weeks of War Games, you can’t say for sure now how they will work in this sandbox.

> > Someone get me a grappling hook; I’m gonna try and scale this wall.
> >
> > But the Light Rifle apparently has a pre-order skin with the console, and it wouldn’t make sense for it to have a skin and not be a loadout weapon. So my guess is that it is available as a loadout weapon.
>
> You got a link?

I would’ve posted one, but that’s why I said ‘apparently’.

I’m not certain, but it sounds legit.

LR (Light Rifle) should be slightly stronger than others

> > Someone get me a grappling hook; I’m gonna try and scale this wall.
> >
> > But the Light Rifle apparently has a pre-order skin with the console, and it wouldn’t make sense for it to have a skin and not be a loadout weapon. So my guess is that it is available as a loadout weapon.
>
> You got a link?

LR has an exclusive skin comes with the Halo 4 LE Console