BPR Ratings (Feedback Wanted)

Hey,

I just want to know how the community feels about the BPR system? To me, I think it is completly flawed and I would be highly disappointed if it was implemented with the title update. People who play MLG or Arena should not be ranked lower than people who play living dead like myself. My 100 BRP rating seems dumb when I see highly skilled pros ranked lower.

Best regards,
BROWN

> Hey,
>
> I just want to know how the community feels about the BPR system? To me, I think it is completly flawed and I would be highly disappointed if it was implemented with the title update. People who play MLG or Arena should not be ranked lower than people who play living dead like myself. My 100 BRP rating seems dumb when I see highly skilled pros ranked lower.
>
>
> Best regards,
> BROWN

anyone know the formula for this? im intrigued. i also have 100 BPR :smiley: Hi Five!

I would assume kill to death ratios are involved. Which is why MLG Pro Players may be rated below 100 instead of someone who goes plus 30 in Living Dead. Makes no sense.

ive got a 64 rating and i have +2000 DMR k/d in competitive.

THATS -Yoink-! lol idc

> I would assume kill to death ratios are involved. Which is why MLG Pro Players may be rated below 100 instead of someone who goes plus 30 in Living Dead. Makes no sense.

It’s something like that. Only thing we know is that it tracks your kills, wins, assists, deaths and betrayals. This makes it somewhat flawed as high amount of kills and assists doesn’t make you good. As for the formula, it looks like K/D and W/L have pretty equal effect on the rating, but this is just pure speculation. By the way, I only have the rating at 82.

It seems like the rating isn’t actually something based on your skill, but your playstyle. I imagine it would be easy to get it high by getting a high K/D with camping while someone who is more aggressive and useful for the team could rank lower. It’s pretty hard to say how much it reflects your overall skill as we don’t have the exact formula, but I believe it’s not much and that trueskill is still alot better.

After further investigations, I take back my statement of K/D and W/L being equal. W/L looks like it’s somwhat more important.

Can someone please explain this “BPR”? I would greatly appreciate it!

-ILL F4tED

> Can someone please explain this “BPR”? I would greatly appreciate it!
>
> -ILL F4tED

It judges your overall skill based on kills, deaths, wins, assists and betrayals. As any system that judges your skill based on stats, it isn’t very reliable as alot of those stats depend on your playstyle.

> > Can someone please explain this “BPR”? I would greatly appreciate it!
> >
> > -ILL F4tED
>
> It judges your overall skill based on kills, deaths, wins, assists and betrayals. As any system that judges your skill based on stats, it isn’t very reliable as alot of those stats depend on your playstyle.

I can tell. My friend in which I play with has a 100 whilst I have an 80. I guess it is new and buggy. I’ll live lol, only a video game.

> ive got a 64 rating and i have +2000 DMR k/d in competitive.
>
> THATS Yoink!! lol idc

K/D means kills divided by deaths.

its a ratio.

your K/D (often times just called KD) is a number that is usually from 0 to 3. people do have higher than 3 KD’s but its very rare.

an average players KD is 1.0 in my opinion. above average is above that. good is more like 1.5. amazing is 2.0+

again, KD is really only a 100% good judge of skill if you play nothing but SLAYER, and even then its only part of the game because assists matter a lot, as does placement, what you are doing, etc.

a player could have a 2.0 KD, but if he isnt helping his team, he isnt a good player id say. a player could also have a 2.0 KD and never go for power weapons, or help his team secure them. this is also bad. i mean… someone could go 3 kills 1 death every game, and have a 3.0 KD from sitting in a corner all the time. thats an amazing KD, but is he helping his team? heck no!

likewise, a player with a less than 1.0 KD could constantly be helping his team secure power weapons that eventually lead his team to victory, and me more of an asset to the team.

basically what im saying is theres a LOT more to it than KD alone.

i think the best formula is a combination of KD, A/D (assists per death, even tho its ridiculous how much damage you have to deal in reach to get an assist medal), and win percent.

i’d say win percent is the best stat if you had to look at JUST ONE statistic, to tell how good someone is. if win% is highly weighted in BPR, its for the best.

Well, it looks like the BPR Rating system needs a overhaul. Case closed.

I remember someone once said on the Reach b.net forums that the BPR Rating was a suitable replacement of a 1-50. I had a good laugh.

i dont really know how that thing works but im happy with my 80(or was it 83 i cant remember)

> > ive got a 64 rating and i have +2000 DMR k/d in competitive.
> >
> > THATS Yoink!! lol idc
>
> K/D means kills divided by deaths.
>
> its a ratio.
>
> your K/D (often times just called KD) is a number that is usually from 0 to 3. people do have higher than 3 KD’s but its very rare.
>
> an average players KD is 1.0 in my opinion. above average is above that. good is more like 1.5. amazing is 2.0+
>
> again, KD is really only a 100% good judge of skill if you play nothing but SLAYER, and even then its only part of the game because assists matter a lot, as does placement, what you are doing, etc.
>
> a player could have a 2.0 KD, but if he isnt helping his team, he isnt a good player id say. a player could also have a 2.0 KD and never go for power weapons, or help his team secure them. this is also bad. i mean… someone could go 3 kills 1 death every game, and have a 3.0 KD from sitting in a corner all the time. thats an amazing KD, but is he helping his team? heck no!
>
> likewise, a player with a less than 1.0 KD could constantly be helping his team secure power weapons that eventually lead his team to victory, and me more of an asset to the team.
>
> basically what im saying is theres a LOT more to it than KD alone.
>
> i think the best formula is a combination of KD, A/D (assists per death, even tho its ridiculous how much damage you have to deal in reach to get an assist medal), and win percent.
>
> i’d say win percent is the best stat if you had to look at JUST ONE statistic, to tell how good someone is. if win% is highly weighted in BPR, its for the best.

BPR also counts betrayals, although how much they affect is unknown. I also believe win percentage is weighted more than kills, assists and deaths.

If could only look statistics to analyze how good a player is, I would use all statistics I can get to my hands. If you could only use one statistic, win persentage would be the best, but it doesn’t provide much accurate information either. Checking recent games for example, shows does the player always play with the same team or even get carried by their team. Now, I know that team work is skillful, but only if you go against other organized teams. If you play with a team against randoms, it won’t require much work.

If I really want to know how skilled someone is, there is no other option than playing against them for a while.

Perhaps then they should give us a BPR for each individual playlist, much like Bungie did when they gave us separate playlist ranks in Halo 3. Then the BPR on this site would be an average of all our BPRs from each playlist.

I like BPR, and think its fairly accurate in my case ( Im 64 I think) but think it needs tweaking.
For example my W/L isnt great because I rarely search in a full team, its quite easy to go +8,9,10 or more and still lose the game in a team of people who have no mics.

BPR would be great if it only worked on Arena or something. However, making it encompass all playlists skews it towards those who play games like Living Dead, where you can easily get a massively high K/D ratio.

BPR actually punishes anyone who pushes themselves to get better, as getting better and playing evenly-matched players will ultimately result in a lower K/D, and more losses.

> BPR would be great if it only worked on Arena or something. However, making it encompass all playlists skews it towards those who play games like Living Dead, where you can easily get a massively high K/D ratio.
>
> BPR actually punishes anyone who pushes themselves to get better, as getting better and playing evenly-matched players will ultimately result in a lower K/D, and more losses.

agreed. ideally they would give us BPR for each playlist.

I can’t help but feel that BPR (with either the current or a modified formula) will be the ranking system for Halo 4.

> I can’t help but feel that BPR (with either the current or a modified formula) will be the ranking system for Halo 4.

It has to come into play somehow one would think. Why else would they even bother with it. This might just be the beta stage for it. I hope they do something with the ranking system before H4. Halo Reach still has a year and a half to go. So in my mind it would be worth adding.

I am not sure why 343i would make a BPR system. Halo has had success in past ranking systems.

Please stop making new things and bring back the old.