Boss

In Halo 4 i would like to see the ability to make a ‘Boss’ bot. A large and hard enemy to beat, like a Guita in Halo Reach, but you can spawn them anywhere you want for a custom game.

Good idea. The could be forge pieces like Boss Arena for things like this.

Interesting idea.

We’d probably need some way of defining paths for the bots’ AI so they can operate efficiently on custom maps, but that doesn’t seem too hard to implement. A simple path mesh editor wouldn’t be too hard to use; it’d be as simple as placing points and connecting them. (Come to think of it, we may not even need that if it’s a boss enemy that rarely moves significant distances during combat, i.e. Halo 3-style Scarabs.)

> In Halo 4 i would like to see the ability to make a ‘Boss’ bot. A large and hard enemy to beat, like a Guita in Halo Reach, but you can spawn them anywhere you want for a custom game.

this, plus flood spawn points

you could make some really cool arena maps with something like this.

start off killing flood or something, then move onto the next room and kill a different enemy, after so many rooms, you could fight a boss

+moving platforms.

you make a “zone”. All objects in this zone move together. different tags mean different directional patterns.

> Interesting idea.
>
> We’d probably need some way of defining paths for the bots’ AI so they can operate efficiently on custom maps, but that doesn’t seem too hard to implement. A simple path mesh editor wouldn’t be too hard to use; it’d be as simple as placing points and connecting them. (Come to think of it, we may not even need that if it’s a boss enemy that rarely moves significant distances during combat, i.e. Halo 3-style Scarabs.)

You just defined how to make firefight forge. All you have to do is map out a path for A.I. and the phantoms. And set some spawn zones.

> You just defined how to make firefight forge. All you have to do is map out a path for A.I. and the phantoms. And set some spawn zones.

Indeed. It’s really the same no matter what AI you’re talking about – Firefight, bosses, what have you – though it’d probably be good to be able to design different pathing meshes for each enemy type.

bieng able to spawn a minitaur in a minitaur maze game = epic, but ya if the just allow the AI to detect forged pieces thats all theyd have to do.

> bieng able to spawn a minitaur in a minitaur maze game = epic, but ya if the just allow the AI to detect forged pieces thats all theyd have to do.

Yeah, it’s kind of funny when A.I. are running at walls in firefight. Extremely funny.

> +moving platforms.
>
>
> you make a “zone”. All objects in this zone move together. different tags mean different directional patterns.

Yeah, you could do so much with moving objects.

The staircase from Harry Potter.
A King Kong of Forge pieces that swings its arms at you.
A collapsing building.

The list just goes on and on.

Honestly i was thinking that all Ai have to do in order to be forgeable are not collide with material, and can only walk on objects set at 90 degree horizontal, and cant walk over an object that is 2 feet higher then the plane they are on, meaning set values to the Ai that allow them to step on planes within 1.5 coordinants higher or lower then the forge piece you start them on… and have them to where they cant walk into material 1.5 coordinants out from any given object, it might be alot but if done corectly will give forge some intresting new twists. It just means “THE FORGER” has to make space in between where AI spawn. like how they do with teleporters being blocked if an object is to close.

Indeed, I loovveee bosses! ^.^

> -snip-

That would help define where the AI can walk, but not where they should walk.

Allowing the creation of a pathing mesh gives the designer control of where the AI goes and allows a wider range of traversible terrain. (Imagine just being able to place three Hill Markers and say, “These form a triangle, and the AI can move anywhere within that triangle.” And then being able to just cover the ground in these imaginary triangles so that the AI can walk over it regardless of how it’s constructed.)

> Interesting idea.
>
> We’d probably need some way of defining paths for the bots’ AI so they can operate efficiently on custom maps, but that doesn’t seem too hard to implement.)

Actually, it is a rather difficult task, speaking from the Reach engine, not the Halo 4 engine, of course.

Path mapping for Firefight is the most difficult part of creating a firefight map, it would be the same for Enemies in forge. But, if they were to put it into the original features list, It could be possible. We’ll just have to wait and see.

sounds cool, forge could use a lot of things, but I hope Halo 4 gives us the option to play offline games with bots even if they can’t be on forged maps