Boss fights

Hi !
I’m making this little topic to talk about the boss fights and what you would like to see in Halo Infinite.
Do you prefer the “Bungie style” as in Halo 2 for example where you fight Tartarus as a classical NPC (but with waaaaaay more hp ^^) ? Or do you prefer a Halo 4 style with the Didact, with a QTE ?
Or maybe a mix of the two style (As I do ^^) ?

(This topic isn’t here to create a war between Bungie and 343, both work is incredible to me)

I think Boss Fights do not belong in Halo. Want Boss Fights? Go play Terraria.

> 2535422817021596;2:
> I think Boss Fights do not belong in Halo. Want Boss Fights? Go play Terraria.

Those two games don’t have really have much correlation with each other, Terraria and Halo are two completely different games?

> 2535421423136380;1:
> Hi !
> I’m making this little topic to talk about the boss fights and what you would like to see in Halo Infinite.
> Do you prefer the “Bungie style” as in Halo 2 for example where you fight Tartarus as a classical NPC (but with waaaaaay more hp ^^) ? Or do you prefer a Halo 4 style with the Didact, with a QTE ?
> Or maybe a mix of the two style (As I do ^^) ?
>
> (This topic isn’t here to create a war between Bungie and 343, both work is incredible to me)

Boss fights in halo so far haven’t really been anything too special, in Bungie’s era you had to punch a man in a chair and in 343’s era the same boss was re-used over and over again(Not a bad boss, just overused.)
Does that mean they don’t have potential? No, 343 has shown that they are capable of making decent bosses like the Grunt Goblin and Bungie too, if you include the Scarabs.

I would prefer a more classical NPC/Vehicle boss with a couple of changes here and there to give it enough distinction with a QTE at the end. Not really a fan of QTE’s as all the player is really doing is pressing a button but they do help in immersion.

Boss fights should be like a mix of the two. You know, you would shoot at the boss and then, once their health is significantly low, go in for the kill, in which it will trigger a cutscene of you dealing the final blow. The boss should also have multiple attack formations and weak points so the fight doesn’t get boring (aka. Warden Eternal)

I enjoy a good boss fight, but no bullet sponges like Warden Eternal please

> 2535428777172366;4:
> Boss fights should be like a mix of the two. You know, you would shoot at the boss and then, once their health is significantly low, go in for the kill, in which it will trigger a cutscene of you dealing the final blow. The boss should also have multiple attack formations and weak points so the fight doesn’t get boring (aka. Warden Eternal)

> 2533274846978810;5:
> I enjoy a good boss fight, but no bullet sponges like Warden Eternal please

Yes, I agree, Warden Eternal is the definition of a Demi god when it comes to strength.

Boss Fights would be great, i’d love to see that, however I hope they are more than just bullet sponges.

> 2533274880721986;7:
> Boss Fights would be great, i’d love to see that, however I hope they are more than just bullet sponges.

Cough Halo 5 cough

> 2535422817021596;8:
> > 2533274880721986;7:
> > Boss Fights would be great, i’d love to see that, however I hope they are more than just bullet sponges.
>
> Cough Halo 5 cough

Literally you just have to load up a Hannibal wasp and pray it’s not a warden eternal and her retarded vehicle blast

> 2535422817021596;2:
> I think Boss Fights do not belong in Halo. Want Boss Fights? Go play Terraria.

i feel the same way about boss fights, just doesn’t feel like halo

Ever since Halo 2, I felt boss fights didn’t have a place in Halo. Halo CE did fine without them. That said, I think with the introduction of the Hand of Atriox, boss fights are a given.
my concern is that under 343, they’ll feel too bullet spongey, too “game-y”. But I also do not want QTE’s either.

I hope each boss’ character is at least somewhat fleshed out over the course of the game so that there is weight to the fight and meaning behind the fight and their defeat/death. While H2’s boss fights weren’t the greatest, they fit narratively well in the story. Each death, Heretic leader, Regret, and Tartarus, had far reaching consequences that pushed the narrative forward in a meaningful way.
I hope as we kill off the hand of Atriox there’s a feeling of accomplishment as well as meaning for the larger story, And not just a boss you kill because you’re at the end of a mission.
in conclusion I’d prefer Halo 2 style boss fights without external input (Button mashing/QTE’s etc) and I think 343i has the a good start with the narrative aspect of the boss fights. I already like Jega and Echerum, and if Hyperious is a boss then I think they have the narrative weight/meaning behind boss fights that Halo needs.

Well the boss fights will be good i think cause tha Arkham series writer is working on Infinite!

> 2533274951753761;12:
> Well the boss fights will be good i think cause tha Arkham series writer is working on Infinite!

you “think”? What are your sources? I’m sure that something like this would’ve been reported

> 2535428777172366;13:
> > 2533274951753761;12:
> > Well the boss fights will be good i think cause tha Arkham series writer is working on Infinite!
>
> you “think”? What are your sources? I’m sure that something like this would’ve been reported

His sources for his own opinion? Uhmm, himself? Unless you mean the former Arkham staff thing, then I’m not sure who he’s talking about, those games have a few writers/directors.

Plus admittedly I’m not too fond of a lot of the “boss fights” in Arkham. Most of them are pretty simple and relatively easy. Now if they had the boss evolve to fight you like the Arkham City Mr. Freeze bossfight that would be neat.

> 2535428777172366;13:
> > 2533274951753761;12:
> > Well the boss fights will be good i think cause tha Arkham series writer is working on Infinite!
>
> you “think”? What are your sources? I’m sure that something like this would’ve been reported

Paul Crocker is narrative director for Infinite,he joined in 2017.He worked on Batman Arkham games which had great boss fights imo.

> 2533274837720524;14:
> > 2535428777172366;13:
> > > 2533274951753761;12:
> > > Well the boss fights will be good i think cause tha Arkham series writer is working on Infinite!
> >
> > you “think”? What are your sources? I’m sure that something like this would’ve been reported
>
> His sources for his own opinion? Uhmm, himself? Unless you mean the former Arkham staff thing, then I’m not sure who he’s talking about, those games have a few writers/directors.
>
> Plus admittedly I’m not too fond of a lot of the “boss fights” in Arkham. Most of them are pretty simple and relatively easy. Now if they had the boss evolve to fight you like the Arkham City Mr. Freeze bossfight that would be neat.

I looked it up, apparently Paul Crocker, who worked on the main Arkham trilogy, is working on Infinite. And also, it would be cool if the bosses would evolve to your strategies, like developing resistance to headshots or weak points or getting stronger ranged attacks, for example.

Personally the way Halo 2 did it was the best

> 2535428777172366;16:
> > 2533274837720524;14:
> > > 2535428777172366;13:
> > > > 2533274951753761;12:
> > > > Well the boss fights will be good i think cause tha Arkham series writer is working on Infinite!
> > >
> > > you “think”? What are your sources? I’m sure that something like this would’ve been reported
> >
> > His sources for his own opinion? Uhmm, himself? Unless you mean the former Arkham staff thing, then I’m not sure who he’s talking about, those games have a few writers/directors.
> >
> > Plus admittedly I’m not too fond of a lot of the “boss fights” in Arkham. Most of them are pretty simple and relatively easy. Now if they had the boss evolve to fight you like the Arkham City Mr. Freeze bossfight that would be neat.
>
> I looked it up, apparently Paul Crocker, who worked on the main Arkham trilogy, is working on Infinite. And also, it would be cool if the bosses would evolve to your strategies, like developing resistance to headshots or weak points or getting stronger ranged attacks, for example.

Oh, that’s pretty awesome that it’s him. Being lead narrative directors of the two best Arkham games is definitely something, wish he stuck around for Knight. I’m curious to see what he brings to the table with Infinite.

The only “boss” battle I can think of is the one in Halo 2 where you beat up the prophet. It works out okay on Heroic and Legendary because of the difficulty of the Elites that get sent in after the prophet kicks you off his floating chair. Other battles that seem a little bossy to me are the vehicle ones.

One of the points of a boss battle is to change up the gameplay to test the player. If you play Cuphead, a game that is 90% boss battles, you notice that the makers want you to learn a trick or a different mechanic. They want you to try something new and a boss battle is a good way of doing it.

In First person shooters, boss battles seem to end up being repetitive cycles of shooting, pushing a button, and hiding.
I believe Halo has enough gameplay variety to require traditional boss battles.

Boss and miniboss fights would be cool.