Boss Fights

Since Warden Eternal was a boss in Halo 5, i was wondering what other bosses we might face in Infinite when it comes to Flood, Covenant or a super elite version of a Promethean Knight that is strong to withstand many shoots before it is destroyed and has upgraded shields and weaponry that is more dangerous compared to the original variation of the knights.

I personally never cared for the “boss fight” concept in FPS games. They always seem to be overly strong/bullet sponge version of some generic in game enemy that really has no reason to be able to withstand twenty headshots , other than plot armor. I don’t think of any “boss fight” from previous Halos that stand out as the best or most memorable scene from any individual game …except maybe Truth , but Halo 3 had so many better moments that even it gets buried. I just don’t think they are necessary in a well crafted FPS game.

With the exception of the Heretic fight in H2, Halo has never really gotten the hang of a good boss fight. I think Bungie kinda saw their limitation on that one when they were making CE. So instead they went with a warthog run, which relied on their far superior vehicle mechanics (compared to other games at the time from what I recall). Ever since then, Halo just hasn’t been much for boss fights. At least not big ones. Mini boss fights like the two Brute Chieftains on The Covenant in H3 were pretty fun.

> 2535430248489922;1:
> a super elite version of a Promethean Knight that is strong to withstand many shoots before it is destroyed

Bullet sponges are no fun to fight. The Warden was basically a bullet sponge and it annoyed the -yoink- out of me. Changing the design from him to a Promethean Knight isn’t gonna fool me.

I just hope whatever bosses are in the game we don’t have to fight it 6 times, once is enough(looking at you, Warden).

> 2533275031939856;4:
> I just hope whatever bosses are in the game we don’t have to fight it 6 times, once is enough(looking at you, Warden).

The Warden Eternal was a decent boss fight by the abysmal standards for the Halo franchise, but the repeat fights did indeed make him a absolute chore.

I would much rather have super-vehicles like Scarabs return as those were the most fun boss-like encounters the series has ever offered. Maybe even have a Kraken fight again where the huge thing actually moves around and has some interesting AI routines instead of just faffing about in canyon.

I think boss battles should be handled the way they were in the first Halo. There weren’t actually bosses, instead, there were just fights that had the intensity and chaos dialed up to 11.

3 examples immediately come to mind.

1. Boarding the Truth and Reconciliation. The marathon battle was non- stop action from the moment you’re within line- of- sight of the grav lift, all the way until you get up into the ship, and have to survive the onslaught in the loading dock it brings you up in to. It’s punctuated first by hunters before you go up, then invisible elites during waves of enemies, then ANOTHER hunter battle before everything calms down enough for you to sneak around the ship.

2. Waiting for 343 to unlock the door in the library. Sure this happens a couple times, but there is the one time where you’re locked into a small confined area, and flood just POOR in to attack you. The music cranks up, and you better have your shotty and pistol/ rocket ready to go!

3. The Battle of The Two Betrayals. A battalion of covenant, and a small army of flood stand between you, and the final banshee you need to secure in order to stop Guilty Spark. There were plenty of times in my life I had a game save on the checkpoint before that battle, just so I could play it over and over again. One of the highlights of the entire franchise.

There are so many more moments that had all the intensity of a boss fight, but chose to leverage the excellent combat and vehicle mechanics instead. Best way to go imo.

I think the best way to have a “boss” fight in halo is not with a character like the Warden (stuff like that should be saved for cutscenes like Red teams fight against Atriox) but with large or small scale good maps with lots of different guns or vehicles to choose from, AI to assist the the “boss” your fighting and the “boss” should be something simple like a pair of Hunters or Scarab tank.

Can’t be worse than how it was done in Halo 5.

Yeah just hope in infinite it doesn’t get any worser

Probably some throwback to Tartarus type thing with Atriox, likely some Covenant tech large vehicle, possibly some flood form & so on.

Hopefully some driving bit with warthog, not exactly a boss but it’s often compared with bosses in Halo.

And hopefully nothing promethean, I have had enough of those.

Halo Wars 2’s proto-Gravemind is the only really interesting boss battle I can think of in the franchise, so I think it’s best to skip them entirely.

I enjoyed the Tartarus and Heretic boss fight from H2. Maybe something along those lines.

> 2614366390849210;6:
> I think boss battles should be handled the way they were in the first Halo. There weren’t actually bosses, instead, there were just fights that had the intensity and chaos dialed up to 11.
>
> 3 examples immediately come to mind.
>
> 1. Boarding the Truth and Reconciliation. The marathon battle was non- stop action from the moment you’re within line- of- sight of the grav lift, all the way until you get up into the ship, and have to survive the onslaught in the loading dock it brings you up in to. It’s punctuated first by hunters before you go up, then invisible elites during waves of enemies, then ANOTHER hunter battle before everything calms down enough for you to sneak around the ship.
>
> 2. Waiting for 343 to unlock the door in the library. Sure this happens a couple times, but there is the one time where you’re locked into a small confined area, and flood just POOR in to attack you. The music cranks up, and you better have your shotty and pistol/ rocket ready to go!
>
> 3. The Battle of The Two Betrayals. A battalion of covenant, and a small army of flood stand between you, and the final banshee you need to secure in order to stop Guilty Spark. There were plenty of times in my life I had a game save on the checkpoint before that battle, just so I could play it over and over again. One of the highlights of the entire franchise.
>
> There are so many more moments that had all the intensity of a boss fight, but chose to leverage the excellent combat and vehicle mechanics instead. Best way to go imo.

This guy has the right idea.

Especially interesting and challenging sections are much more effective/enjoyable than boss fights in FPS games.

> 2533275031939856;4:
> I just hope whatever bosses are in the game we don’t have to fight it 6 times, once is enough(looking at you, Warden).

I agree. I don’t mind boss fights but not the same one multiple times… over and over again.

> 2535458269032348;14:
> > 2533275031939856;4:
> > I just hope whatever bosses are in the game we don’t have to fight it 6 times, once is enough(looking at you, Warden).
>
> I agree. I don’t mind boss fights but not the same one multiple times… over and over again.

Who looked at that and thought - yeah thats fine. Leave it in the game. Halo 5 should have been delayed.

> 2533274801605494;13:
> > 2614366390849210;6:
> > I think boss battles should be handled the way they were in the first Halo. There weren’t actually bosses, instead, there were just fights that had the intensity and chaos dialed up to 11.
> >
> > 3 examples immediately come to mind.
> >
> > 1. Boarding the Truth and Reconciliation. The marathon battle was non- stop action from the moment you’re within line- of- sight of the grav lift, all the way until you get up into the ship, and have to survive the onslaught in the loading dock it brings you up in to. It’s punctuated first by hunters before you go up, then invisible elites during waves of enemies, then ANOTHER hunter battle before everything calms down enough for you to sneak around the ship.
> >
> > 2. Waiting for 343 to unlock the door in the library. Sure this happens a couple times, but there is the one time where you’re locked into a small confined area, and flood just POOR in to attack you. The music cranks up, and you better have your shotty and pistol/ rocket ready to go!
> >
> > 3. The Battle of The Two Betrayals. A battalion of covenant, and a small army of flood stand between you, and the final banshee you need to secure in order to stop Guilty Spark. There were plenty of times in my life I had a game save on the checkpoint before that battle, just so I could play it over and over again. One of the highlights of the entire franchise.
> >
> > There are so many more moments that had all the intensity of a boss fight, but chose to leverage the excellent combat and vehicle mechanics instead. Best way to go imo.
>
> This guy has the right idea.
>
> Especially interesting and challenging sections are much more effective/enjoyable than boss fights in FPS games.

I agree too

> 2533274818084099;15:
> > 2535458269032348;14:
> > > 2533275031939856;4:
> > > I just hope whatever bosses are in the game we don’t have to fight it 6 times, once is enough(looking at you, Warden).
> >
> > I agree. I don’t mind boss fights but not the same one multiple times… over and over again.
>
> Who looked at that and thought - yeah thats fine. Leave it in the game. Halo 5 should have been delayed.

It should have been

> 2533274866906624;12:
> I enjoyed the Tartarus and Heretic boss fight from H2. Maybe something along those lines.

Probably in infinite we might face another brute boss, Atriox?

> 2533274801605494;13:
> > 2614366390849210;6:
> > I think boss battles should be handled the way they were in the first Halo. There weren’t actually bosses, instead, there were just fights that had the intensity and chaos dialed up to 11.
> >
> > 3 examples immediately come to mind.
> >
> > 1. Boarding the Truth and Reconciliation. The marathon battle was non- stop action from the moment you’re within line- of- sight of the grav lift, all the way until you get up into the ship, and have to survive the onslaught in the loading dock it brings you up in to. It’s punctuated first by hunters before you go up, then invisible elites during waves of enemies, then ANOTHER hunter battle before everything calms down enough for you to sneak around the ship.
> >
> > 2. Waiting for 343 to unlock the door in the library. Sure this happens a couple times, but there is the one time where you’re locked into a small confined area, and flood just POOR in to attack you. The music cranks up, and you better have your shotty and pistol/ rocket ready to go!
> >
> > 3. The Battle of The Two Betrayals. A battalion of covenant, and a small army of flood stand between you, and the final banshee you need to secure in order to stop Guilty Spark. There were plenty of times in my life I had a game save on the checkpoint before that battle, just so I could play it over and over again. One of the highlights of the entire franchise.
> >
> > There are so many more moments that had all the intensity of a boss fight, but chose to leverage the excellent combat and vehicle mechanics instead. Best way to go imo.
>
> This guy has the right idea.
>
> Especially interesting and challenging sections are much more effective/enjoyable than boss fights in FPS games.

He does have the right idea

> 2535411561717249;11:
> Halo Wars 2’s proto-Gravemind is the only really interesting boss battle I can think of in the franchise, so I think it’s best to skip them entirely.

It will be an interesting boss to face against