Books question

Currently I’m reading The Fall of Reach to maybe get a better understanding for the game’s story line. Well what i would also like to know is if i could skip The flood and First strike to read The ghosts of Onyx? is there many referances or back story that i will need from either of the flood or first strike to be able to read Ghosts of Onyx? I would like to read it as that is the book in which the Spartan III’s are made which should also have some significance to the new game coming.

Thanks to all replys

I personally skipped the Flood, even though I own it. It is pretty much just a recap of what happened in Halo.

> I personally skipped the Flood, even though I own it. It is pretty much just a recap of what happened in Halo.

It is an adaptation of the Halo: Combat Evolved video game, yes. However, there are many new tidbits about the events you heard little snippets of during the campaign, as well as answers some questions about what the hell went on at the Pillar of Autumn and with the Covenant.

I’d suggest reading First Strike before Ghosts of Onyx. I read the Nylund books – The Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx – in order and found I had a deeper connection to the characters and thus the events. However, if you’re looking for some Spartan-III action, Ghosts of Onyx is the way to go.

-Jon

> > I personally skipped the Flood, even though I own it. It is pretty much just a recap of what happened in Halo.
>
> It is an adaptation of the Halo: Combat Evolved video game, yes. However, there are many new tidbits about the events you heard little snippets of during the campaign, as well as answers some questions about what the hell went on at the Pillar of Autumn and with the Covenant.

Good to know, I might have to go back and read that one then. Is it a decent read?

> Good to know, I might have to go back and read that one then. Is it a decent read?

Well, it’s not a bad book. It certainly gives you a better picture of what the heck actually happened on Halo.

Personally, it was my least favorite out of all the books. Once again, that’s more of a testament to how well the other novels are written.

But considering you own it and it’s a short read, you should give it a shot and decide for yourself.

To read ghosts of onyx you need to read the first strike but not the flood although you should it has good backround stories like yayap and jinkins flood

Thanks guys. I’ll get a move on then and just read them all. Hopefully i can finish by the time Reach releases.

Contact Harvest - Fall of Reach - The Flood - The Cole Protocol - Ghosts of Onyx - First Strike - Evolutions

> Good to know, I might have to go back and read that one then. Is it a decent read?

My only complaint is that in Fall of Reach and First Strike everything reads like it is a challenge for the protagonists, whereas in The Flood it seems that the Chief is able to plough through everything without any major problems. It feels sort of like the difference between playing the game on Normal and Heroic. Other than that it’s not a bad book at all, that said I am a fan of pulp sf. :slight_smile:

> > Good to know, I might have to go back and read that one then. Is it a decent read?
>
> My only complaint is that in Fall of Reach and First Strike everything reads like it is a challenge for the protagonists, whereas in The Flood it seems that the Chief is able to plough through everything without any major problems. It feels sort of like the difference between playing the game on Normal and Heroic. Other than that it’s not a bad book at all, that said I am a fan of pulp sf. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t a fan of The Flood at all. I just felt like it was terribly written, though I guess it does help flesh out the story at some points, it isn’t something I’d ever recommend to anyone. You could probably get a run down on Halopedia or another website.