Book/comic relationship with Halo 4

I love the Halo books and comic and am pretty excited that 343 is going to try to fit in certain elements from within them in Halo 4. That said, there is a way to go about it. A game like Gears of War 3, in my opinion, isn’t the way to do it. Now I will say that I’m not really a huge fan of the games, I dabbled in Gears 1, got pretty far in Gears 2, but only really played Gears 3 with some friends. That said, I loved the books and comics. So imagine my surprise when I saw characters from both incorporated in the Gears 3. Here’s the problem, the connection was lost on everyone else who played it.

When I saw Jace Stratton, I was like “I know that guy!”. My friends looked at me and said “What are you talking about?”. I replied “He’s from the Gears comics.”

I got a resounding “Gears of War has comics and books?”

Frankly, I knew the significance of the characters and cared about them, but my friends didn’t. This gesture, while nice, didn’t matter to the fanbase at large. Hell, they had to keep asking me who the characters from the books and comics were because they didn’t know.

So how should Halo 4, and the rest of the new trilogy, go about it? Personally, I wouldn’t want much of an overlap. Something like the UNSC Infinity is okay, but 343 is going to have to explain a lot about it to the vast majority of fans who didn’t read about it in Glasslands and, possibly, Primordium. Same goes for the S-IIIs, S-IVs, and so on. Hell, if they throw in Blue Team, I doubt anyone outside the comic and book readers will get who they are and will only like them because they are “cool”. I don’t want half the game devoted to explaining why certain characters and such are important.

So, what would be the right balance between the two to strike with this issue?

I agree with you, Halo 4(and all other games) should be able to be a coherent experience on their own. They should not require books/comics/tea towels to understand what is going on. Sadly, it seems like the antagonist of Halo 4 will require reading of the Forerunner trilogy unless they explain it in the game, as I cannot see most of the gaming community understanding who the Precursors really are.

To be honest, game canon > book canon anyway.

And this whole books feeding into games is not an idea I like, books etc should enhance the universe, not be feed on/ins of each other. They only thing they should share is the universe they revolve in.

But hey, they could wrap it well into the game, we just have to wait and see.

I agree completley. I didn’t like the fact that in Gears 3 that they just threw in a bunch of new characters, especially in the last mission or so when Cole and Baird arrived with the Gorasni ships. Luckily I had read “Coalition’s End” before the game came out so I knew what was going on.

It annoys me that people think they can just throw in a bunch of characters. For people who have read the books and are keeping up with the story, it’s fine. But for people who haven’t read the books it’s bad because they don’t have a clue who these characters are. This is why I prefer references, like seeing Linda on the computer screens in the Cryo Chamber in Halo CEA. People who have read the books can enjoy the game a bit more but people who haven’t aren’t suddenly shut out.

> I agree completley. I didn’t like the fact that in Gears 3 that they just threw in a bunch of new characters, especially in the last mission or so when Cole and Baird arrived with the Gorasni ships. Luckily I had read “Coalition’s End” before the game came out so I knew what was going on.
>
> It annoys me that people think they can just throw in a bunch of characters. For people who have read the books and are keeping up with the story, it’s fine. But for people who haven’t read the books it’s bad because they don’t have a clue who these characters are. This is why I prefer references, like seeing Linda on the computer screens in the Cryo Chamber in Halo CEA. People who have read the books can enjoy the game a bit more but people who haven’t aren’t suddenly shut out.

Subtle nods like that are indeed great. And I know this is a different scenario, but look at Skyrim. You wouldn’t have to play any of the previous games to get it, sure they are referenced, but it’s not necessary to play the past titles.

> And this whole books feeding into games is not an idea I like, books etc should enhance the universe, not be feed on/ins of each other. They only thing they should share is the universe they revolve in.

Agreed. I haven’t read Gears novels or comics and got pretty much the same “What? When? Why?” when learning this and that during Gears 3. Some guy on Inet said well when he said that it felt like he was playing Gears 4 instead of 3. Frankly there has been some of that in Halo series too.

Fortunately so far it has been bearable, but if books get more emphasis there will be a limit when the game’s story alone starts to make no sense and that’s when it’s time to quit the series atleast for me. But with the increasing rate of book releases I fear it’s just a matter of time when the universe of Halo has expanded into unfollowable retcon mess. Just like Star Wars, it’s better to forget books exist.

here could be a possible way to fix it.

halo ce had the scanner thing for kinnect right?

so when you scan characters that have been in the trilogy before you get them in the library so when you choose them it will tell you thier significance to the halo world.

this would include things like
where they were born
what makes that character so special from your avarage unsc
where else have they appered in the halo world

thoughts?

> here could be a possible way to fix it.
>
> halo ce had the scanner thing for kinnect right?
>
> so when you scan characters that have been in the trilogy before you get them in the library so when you choose them it will tell you thier significance to the halo world.
>
> this would include things like
> age
> hight
> where they were born
> what makes that character so special from your avarage unsc
> where else have they appered in the halo world
>
> thoughts?

It’s not really the same as knowing who these characters are from the books and comics themselves. Sure you can get the basic information on them, but the emotional attachment isn’t there.

i am a long time fdan of both the games and the books, i havent reasd any of the newer ones or the comics but from what i have seen of the art from halo 4 it looks to be like it will be a tir in with ghosts of onyx… and i am really hoping so as that would add in so many new characters… any thoughts?

This thread = win.

All I think is that the books should follow the games, not vise versa. Though references, nods, or even characters from them are just fine as long as their explanation isn’t drawn-out or out of place.

> It’s not really the same as knowing who these characters are from the books and comics themselves. Sure you can get the basic information on them, but the emotional attachment isn’t there.

Especially if we need to stop and pause the game to read up this info. Most people wouldn’t do that anyway until they have completed the game, if then.

Then again, if you haven’t read the books you don’t know who Linda, Kelly or Fred is so how is 343 supposed to handle this? Especially when Halo1 was heavily marketed with the slogan “You’re the last of your kind, Spartan” and in Halo2 and 3 there are no signs of any other existing.

I doubt there will be huge outcry about these “newcomers that wreck Chief’s specialness” but there will be some.

I have to agree with those who think the games should be separated from the material of the extended universe. My enjoyment of some games and movies has only survived because I have been able to ignore what I see as being far less compelling supporting material. That material should be working itself around the games, not the other way around. And this is even more important now that we have the abominable Forerunner Saga attempting to latch its horribly deformed tentacles onto Halo 4 in an effort to become one with it, much in the same vein as the Flood has attempted to do for the last dozen years. (Too much?)

> I have to agree with those who think the games should be separated from the material of the extended universe. My enjoyment of some games and movies has only survived because I have been able to ignore what I see as being far less compelling supporting material. That material should be working itself around the games, not the other way around. And this is even more important now that we have the abominable Forerunner Saga attempting to latch its horribly deformed tentacles onto Halo 4 in an effort to become one with it, much in the same vein as the Flood has attempted to do for the last dozen years. (Too much?)

Can’t agree with your criticism the Forerunner Saga. The Forerunner Saga fills in the gap regarding before and during the Forerunner-Flood War. We are told of an “ancient enemy”, the Forerunner saga explains this, but from the looks of it only serves as a background detail within the novel only.