BONEYARD RANT

Is there any reason that Boneyard is so unevenly balanced in terms of weapon/vehicle spawns? Everything spawns between the ships hull and the garage and nothing spawns in the vast field/infrastructure on the other side of the ship hull. Does anyone know WHY this is? It seems like a tremendous oversight, BUT I’m no game designer so maybe there’s a reason?

PS- I quite like the map. Any big, non-symetrical map is always interesting (Burial Mounds, Terminal etc)

That map is built for invasion. Duh.

That’s fine, but how hard is it to reconfigure spawnpoints for slayer and CTF games both of which appear all the time and have for several months?

this is the shortest rant i’ve ever read in my life, just saying.

There’s actually a PL on one of the Tier 1 Stairs. But I agree, Boneyard and Spire do not play well outside of Invasion.

> Everything spawns between the ships hull and the garage and nothing spawns in the vast field/infrastructure on the other side of the ship hull.

Not true. There is a Ghost, a Warthog, three Needle Rifles, a DMR, a Plasma Pistol, and a Needler on that side of the map.

Granted, not EVERYTHING… But not enough to draw action to that side.

The action isnt meant to take place there outside of invasion and maybe race.

I think the area could be used for some 4 or 5 player team action.

I just might forge something now…

I’ve always wondered the same thing about Boneyard. So much wasted space on that side of the ship. IMO, the map should be reconfigured for BTB gametypes. I think each side should contain spawns, and the hull should be fought over for map/weapon control. The processing plant and conveyor belt would be blocked off. Either add an extra scorpion (one per side) or create a much more difficult way of earning tank control. The scorpion is completely pointless on boneyard, because it is impossible for any team to control, unless you are fighting VERY unorganized players. Remove the banshee and replace it with two falcons (one per side). Replace the blueberry launcher w/spartan laser and BAM! You have a much more balanced map that fully utilizes all of the space on Boneyard. Most of the fighting will now take place in or below the ship.

Examples of Boneyard and Spire made to work outside of Invasion which makes it playable for 4v4 to 8v8 gameplay.

Spiral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdgwLEcxkVo
Boneless: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDX95lc-iOY

> I’ve always wondered the same thing about Boneyard. So much wasted space on that side of the ship. IMO, the map should be reconfigured for BTB gametypes. I think each side should contain spawns, and the hull should be fought over for map/weapon control. The processing plant and conveyor belt would be blocked off. Either add an extra scorpion (one per side) or create a much more difficult way of earning tank control. The scorpion is completely pointless on boneyard, because it is impossible for any team to control, unless you are fighting VERY unorganized players. Remove the banshee and replace it with two falcons (one per side). Replace the blueberry launcher w/spartan laser and BAM! You have a much more balanced map that fully utilizes all of the space on Boneyard. Most of the fighting will now take place in or below the ship.

I agreed with everything but the Tank, a good team, like some I’ve played on have got the Tank, protected it made it a useful weapon to victory. It’s all about stratergy though in capturing it and protecting it.

Also with BTB heavies both side now have Tanks and the spawns are either side of the map. It’s configured much better. I agree that the map spawns need to be reconfigured, a CTF would be amazing on boneyard.

Only half of Boneyard is used because of the huge wall through mid. There are two through areas, and they don’t give you any kind of vantage point to the other side. There are no weapons of note over there to draw the fight (except in the new heavies version, with the gauss). If the walls through mid were reduced or opened up, and heavy weapons were placed out there (splazer in the out-house?), more people would go out there to fight.

> Also with BTB heavies both side now have Tanks and the spawns are either side of the map.

Really? I always spawn on the Junkyard/Refinery side of the map even on Graveyard. The only new key weapon/vehicle that spwans on the ground on the other half of the map (to the west of the ship) is the Gauss Warthog, and there’s been very little action on that half of the map in the games I’ve played. I always seem to get the Gauss Warthog without resistance. There is also a second Banshee, but it spwans on the ship itself.

> Examples of Boneyard and Spire made to work outside of Invasion which makes it playable for 4v4 to 8v8 gameplay.
>
> Spiral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdgwLEcxkVo
> Boneless: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDX95lc-iOY

I like how those do shrink the map down to where it could work with 4v4 and 8v8!

However, I think the OP is talking about how 99% of all of the action takes place on only one half of the map. Using the non-Invasion variant of Boneyard as an example, all of the action takes place on the upper half of the map beyond the ship. Nothing happens on the other side of the map. Even the spawns are located on the left and right sides of the upper half, with nothing on the lower half. It makes the map feel as if there’s wasted space!

There is no feeling of wasted space on those maps, because you can’t get into that other space to begin with.

I love the map, but yeah, the back side of the map is pretty useless.

> I love the map, but yeah, the back side of the map is pretty useless.

Never really used, bit of a waste of space really.

> > I’ve always wondered the same thing about Boneyard. So much wasted space on that side of the ship. IMO, the map should be reconfigured for BTB gametypes. I think each side should contain spawns, and the hull should be fought over for map/weapon control. The processing plant and conveyor belt would be blocked off. Either add an extra scorpion (one per side) or create a much more difficult way of earning tank control. The scorpion is completely pointless on boneyard, because it is impossible for any team to control, unless you are fighting VERY unorganized players. Remove the banshee and replace it with two falcons (one per side). Replace the blueberry launcher w/spartan laser and BAM! You have a much more balanced map that fully utilizes all of the space on Boneyard. Most of the fighting will now take place in or below the ship.
>
> I agreed with everything but the Tank, a good team, like some I’ve played on have got the Tank, protected it made it a useful weapon to victory. It’s all about stratergy though in capturing it and protecting it.
>
> Also with BTB heavies both side now have Tanks and the spawns are either side of the map. It’s configured much better. I agree that the map spawns need to be reconfigured, a CTF would be amazing on boneyard.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t say it’s impossible, but this is the scenario 99/100 times. Both sides ghost rush to the tank, one team takes it, the other team hijacks it and kills it with a grenade, and no one gets it. Although if you have some good ideas on how to capture and protect the tank from beginning to end game, I’d love to hear them! Also, I’ve heard there was a new BTB heavies map based off of Boneyard, but I have not ONCE seen it as a voting option. Too bad :frowning: I’ve been really wanting to play on it.

> Also, I’ve heard there was a new BTB heavies map based off of Boneyard, but I have not ONCE seen it as a voting option. Too bad :frowning: I’ve been really wanting to play on it.

It’s called Graveyard, and it comes up a lot, so I am very surprised that you say you have not once seen it as a voting option. Maybe you didn’t recognize the name? The real BTB Heavies rarities are the DLC-based maps: Eminence, Superstition, Breakout, Typhoon, and Headstrong.

> > Also, I’ve heard there was a new BTB heavies map based off of Boneyard, but I have not ONCE seen it as a voting option. Too bad :frowning: I’ve been really wanting to play on it.
>
> It’s called Graveyard, and it comes up a lot, so I am very surprised that you say you have not once seen it as a voting option. Maybe you didn’t recognize the name? The real BTB Heavies rarities are the DLC-based maps: Eminence, Superstition, Breakout, Typhoon, and Headstrong.

Nope! I’ve not seen it once. I ALWAYS either get Rasu, Asphalt, or I believe it’s called Delta Facility? All of the other voting options are always filled with Hemmy, Spire, or Boneyard. So, yeah, you could say i’m a little dissapointed.

Some great ideas in play/suggested, any and all of which would work better than the current configuration.

Vehicle balance in heavies should be achieved with spawns by the warehouse/top side for red and the sloping field/bottom side for blue. As it stands now, vehicle spawns happen down the centerline on the opposite access (right and left not top and bottom). In my experience, as think others have kind of said, in Boneyard (single tank)it leads to a mad dash to the scorpion, and the first player to mount almost always getting handgrenade planted to instant death. In Graveyard (2 tanks) the tanks are nose to nose 10 seconds in. A system of tank spawns much like you see on rasu or delta facility would be awesome on boneyard, IMO.