Boardwalk : Arena

I recently had a discussion about the balance of boardwalk in Arena and I can no longer decide which team has the advantage. I feel this map has similar balance to that of guardian of halo 3.

Reasons :

Both teams have good startup strategies.

e.g

Red : Two sprint rocks one boardwalk and one jetpack to snipe.

Blue : Two sprint to rockets drop down. One jetpack the blue boardwalk stairs and attempt to snipe other player before they get snipe. The final player walk straight forward and jetpack up to red snipe and try and get it.

I don’t mind this map no matter what side I’m on as I usually win.

So tell me which side you think has an advantage and why.

I think the map is unfairly weighted in Red team’s advantage. Any good team that gets top control can control the game. Usually that’s red, since their nearer to Cafe/Overlook/Top Middle. A few months ago, I played on Vetoed’s V2 version with updated, symmetrical initial spawns and I thought it was a huge improvement. The changelist from the current version would be as follows:

-Symmetrical starting points moved to either side of Cafe/Top mid for both teams
-Rocket Launcher moved to replace Plasma Launcher
-Blue Sniper Rifle (4 shots, 60s) is now Neutral
-Active Camo replaces Red Sniper
-Neutral Shotgun (6 shots, 180s) added in the Cafe hallway to replace removed Shotguns

Unfortunately, Vetoed removed the Arena V2 maps from his file share, but I may just make my own versions and post them in this forum. I think the majority of the maps which appear in The Arena could do with some reworking in terms of Initial Spawns and Weapon locations/timers. The symmetrical-ish maps like Boardwalk and Reflection certainly play much better with symmetrical initial spawns.

> I think the map is unfairly weighted in Red team’s advantage. Any good team that gets top control can control the game. Usually that’s red, since their nearer to Cafe/Overlook/Top Middle. A few months ago, I played on Vetoed’s V2 version with updated, symmetrical initial spawns and I thought it was a huge improvement. The changelist from the current version would be as follows:
>
> -Symmetrical starting points moved to either side of Cafe/Top mid for both teams
> -Rocket Launcher moved to replace Plasma Launcher
> -Blue Sniper Rifle (4 shots, 60s) is now Neutral
> -Active Camo replaces Red Sniper
> -Neutral Shotgun (6 shots, 180s) added in the Cafe hallway to replace removed Shotguns
>
> Unfortunately, Vetoed removed the Arena V2 maps from his file share, but I may just make my own versions and post them in this forum. I think the majority of the maps which appear in The Arena could do with some reworking in terms of Initial Spawns and Weapon locations/timers. The symmetrical-ish maps like Boardwalk and Reflection certainly play much better with symmetrical initial spawns.

No offense, but that update to the map sounds awful. I hate to see major changes to the weapons like that.

None taken. It wasn’t my modification, it was Vetoed’s.

I’m just pointing out that it played a lot better; the main point being that it was much more balanced and gameplay was much more fluid/dynamic (helped by the neutral 60s Sniper). In my opinion there’s no excuse for including unbalanced elements in maps that are placed into a playlist which is supposed to be seriously competitive. Especially when the modifications to make them balanced are not all that complicated.

There are some maps in The Arena that are beyond redemption, but the ones that are not could be hugely improved by just making a few tweaks to initial spawns and weapon timers/locations.