Blue Team cutscene

I think everyone…mostly…really liked that Blue Team cutscene that 343 showed us the other day. But I have a question regarding it (it may be just me, or someone probably can clear up my confusion really quickly with a good answer): In space, bullets shouldnt travel because of the vacuum, right? So how do the bullets from Blue Team’s guns travel in space to penetrate that giant window and surprise the Elites? Is it just a part of the scene, or is it an error that is in pretty much any video game/movie scene where the character(s) is shooting in space and hitting targets like they would on earth?

Actually you can. It’s just old-timey guns you can’t.

It’s also consistent with halo 2 where chief was outside the Cairo shooting. As well as I believe Fall of Reach.

Very possible indeed. Guns would actually be very effective in a vacuum. Here on Earth, once a bullet leaves the gun’s barrel, it looses speed quickly because of air friction, therefore becoming less powerful the farther it travels. In space, bullets would not slow down at all, and would travel in a perfectly straight line. They would be just as powerful 5 miles away as the were the moment they left the barrel.

> 2533274796974117;3:
> Very possible indeed. Guns would actually be very effective in a vacuum. Here on Earth, once a bullet leaves the gun’s barrel, it looses speed quickly because of air friction, therefore becoming less powerful the farther it travels. In space, bullets would not slow down at all, and would travel in a perfectly straight line. They would be just as powerful 5 miles away as the were the moment they left the barrel.

hmm…interesting.
I stand corrected :smiley: Thank you for clarifying!

> 2533274964189700;2:
> Actually you can. It’s just old-timey guns you can’t.
>
> It’s also consistent with halo 2 where chief was outside the Cairo shooting. As well as I believe Fall of Reach.

The other dude clarified it. I forgot about the Halo 2 mission lol.

Talk about taking sniping to a whole other level!!!

> 2533274805386380;1:
> I think everyone…mostly…really liked that Blue Team cutscene that 343 showed us the other day. But I have a question regarding it (it may be just me, or someone probably can clear up my confusion really quickly with a good answer): In space, bullets shouldnt travel because of the vacuum, right? So how do the bullets from Blue Team’s guns travel in space to penetrate that giant window and surprise the Elites? Is it just a part of the scene, or is it an error that is in pretty much any video game/movie scene where the character(s) is shooting in space and hitting targets like they would on earth?

Look it is simple physics for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. When the cartridge explodes the matter wants to rapidly expand to fill the vacuum and the energy is also released. This sends the bullets down the barrel toward the intended target. Now if there was a problem with this scene it would be that their was no oxygen so if the guns were like are guns they would not be able to fire but we can assume that since this is the future than that means they must supply oxygen for the explosion inside the cartridges.
If you watched halo legends episode the package there was a seen with Kelly using a turret in space. The creators of that episode had scientific counsel to make sure that scene was accurate.

> 2533274963003387;7:
> > 2533274805386380;1:
> > I think everyone…mostly…really liked that Blue Team cutscene that 343 showed us the other day. But I have a question regarding it (it may be just me, or someone probably can clear up my confusion really quickly with a good answer): In space, bullets shouldnt travel because of the vacuum, right? So how do the bullets from Blue Team’s guns travel in space to penetrate that giant window and surprise the Elites? Is it just a part of the scene, or is it an error that is in pretty much any video game/movie scene where the character(s) is shooting in space and hitting targets like they would on earth?
>
>
> Look it is simple physics for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. When the cartridge explodes the matter wants to rapidly expand to fill the vacuum and the energy is also released. This sends the bullets down the barrel toward the intended target. Now if there was a problem with this scene it would be that their was no oxygen so if the guns were like are guns they would not be able to fire but we can assume that since this is the future than that means they must supply oxygen for the explosion inside the cartridges.
> If you watched halo legends episode the package there was a seen with Kelly using a turret in space. The creators of that episode had scientific counsel to make sure that scene was accurate.

Actually, the potassium nitrate, (saltpeter), in gun powder is the oxidizer. Meaning, as the powder burns the saltpeter produces oxygen. So, bullets will fire just fine in a vacuum or oxygen free environment.

> 2678703528375484;8:
> > 2533274963003387;7:
> > > 2533274805386380;1:
> > > I think everyone…mostly…really liked that Blue Team cutscene that 343 showed us the other day. But I have a question regarding it (it may be just me, or someone probably can clear up my confusion really quickly with a good answer): In space, bullets shouldnt travel because of the vacuum, right? So how do the bullets from Blue Team’s guns travel in space to penetrate that giant window and surprise the Elites? Is it just a part of the scene, or is it an error that is in pretty much any video game/movie scene where the character(s) is shooting in space and hitting targets like they would on earth?
> >
> >
> > Look it is simple physics for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. When the cartridge explodes the matter wants to rapidly expand to fill the vacuum and the energy is also released. This sends the bullets down the barrel toward the intended target. Now if there was a problem with this scene it would be that their was no oxygen so if the guns were like are guns they would not be able to fire but we can assume that since this is the future than that means they must supply oxygen for the explosion inside the cartridges.
> > If you watched halo legends episode the package there was a seen with Kelly using a turret in space. The creators of that episode had scientific counsel to make sure that scene was accurate.
>
>
> Actually, the potassium nitrate, (saltpeter), in gun powder is the oxidizer. Meaning, as the powder burns the saltpeter produces oxygen. So, bullets will fire just fine in a vacuum or oxygen free environment.

Yes but you still need oxygen to start the reaction but that could be something as simple as oxygen released into the chamber or an electrical starter rather than a flint. But its the future so they probably have fixed that.

> 2533274963003387;9:
> > 2678703528375484;8:
> > > 2533274963003387;7:
> > > > 2533274805386380;1:
> > > > I think everyone…mostly…really liked that Blue Team cutscene that 343 showed us the other day. But I have a question regarding it (it may be just me, or someone probably can clear up my confusion really quickly with a good answer): In space, bullets shouldnt travel because of the vacuum, right? So how do the bullets from Blue Team’s guns travel in space to penetrate that giant window and surprise the Elites? Is it just a part of the scene, or is it an error that is in pretty much any video game/movie scene where the character(s) is shooting in space and hitting targets like they would on earth?
> > >
> > >
> > > Look it is simple physics for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. When the cartridge explodes the matter wants to rapidly expand to fill the vacuum and the energy is also released. This sends the bullets down the barrel toward the intended target. Now if there was a problem with this scene it would be that their was no oxygen so if the guns were like are guns they would not be able to fire but we can assume that since this is the future than that means they must supply oxygen for the explosion inside the cartridges.
> > > If you watched halo legends episode the package there was a seen with Kelly using a turret in space. The creators of that episode had scientific counsel to make sure that scene was accurate.
> >
> >
> > Actually, the potassium nitrate, (saltpeter), in gun powder is the oxidizer. Meaning, as the powder burns the saltpeter produces oxygen. So, bullets will fire just fine in a vacuum or oxygen free environment.
>
>
> Yes but you still need oxygen to start the reaction but that could be something as simple as oxygen released into the chamber or an electrical starter rather than a flint. But its the future so they probably have fixed that.

No, that’s all, you are wrong.

Here is a video demonstration of a gun firing in a vacuum, as well as an explanation for why it works.

Will a fun fire in Space?

> 2533274963003387;9:
> > 2678703528375484;8:
> > > 2533274963003387;7:
> > > > 2533274805386380;1:
> > > > I think everyone…mostly…really liked that Blue Team cutscene that 343 showed us the other day. But I have a question regarding it (it may be just me, or someone probably can clear up my confusion really quickly with a good answer): In space, bullets shouldnt travel because of the vacuum, right? So how do the bullets from Blue Team’s guns travel in space to penetrate that giant window and surprise the Elites? Is it just a part of the scene, or is it an error that is in pretty much any video game/movie scene where the character(s) is shooting in space and hitting targets like they would on earth?
> > >
> > >
> > > Look it is simple physics for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. When the cartridge explodes the matter wants to rapidly expand to fill the vacuum and the energy is also released. This sends the bullets down the barrel toward the intended target. Now if there was a problem with this scene it would be that their was no oxygen so if the guns were like are guns they would not be able to fire but we can assume that since this is the future than that means they must supply oxygen for the explosion inside the cartridges.
> > > If you watched halo legends episode the package there was a seen with Kelly using a turret in space. The creators of that episode had scientific counsel to make sure that scene was accurate.
> >
> >
> > Actually, the potassium nitrate, (saltpeter), in gun powder is the oxidizer. Meaning, as the powder burns the saltpeter produces oxygen. So, bullets will fire just fine in a vacuum or oxygen free environment.
>
>
> Yes but you still need oxygen to start the reaction but that could be something as simple as oxygen released into the chamber or an electrical starter rather than a flint. But its the future so they probably have fixed that.

No, no you don’t. Just do a quick Google search and you’ll see that oxygen is not needed for a bullet to fire. Here is just 1 Link from the search I did…Just in case you don’t feel like looking for yourself.

> 2533274805386380;1:
> I think everyone…mostly…really liked that Blue Team cutscene that 343 showed us the other day. But I have a question regarding it (it may be just me, or someone probably can clear up my confusion really quickly with a good answer): In space, bullets shouldnt travel because of the vacuum, right? So how do the bullets from Blue Team’s guns travel in space to penetrate that giant window and surprise the Elites? Is it just a part of the scene, or is it an error that is in pretty much any video game/movie scene where the character(s) is shooting in space and hitting targets like they would on earth?

Bullets still fire, we just shouldn’t be able to hear them being fired: http://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html

My only question is the one line: “Sierra-117 to UNSC Infinity…” If John’s AWOL, how is he in communication and support from the UNSC’s flagship???

Laws of physics.

If you throw a baseball in space it will continue to move at the same velocity until something stops it. On Earth it is usually gravity or someone’s face that stops it.

> I think everyone…mostly…really liked that Blue Team cutscene that 343 showed us the other day. But I have a question regarding it (it may be just me, or someone probably can clear up my confusion really quickly with a good answer): In space, bullets shouldnt travel because of the vacuum, right? So how do the bullets from Blue Team’s guns travel in space to penetrate that giant window and surprise the Elites? Is it just a part of the scene, or is it an error that is in pretty much any video game/movie scene where the character(s) is shooting in space and hitting targets like they would on earth?
> Bullets still fire, we just shouldn’t be able to hear them being fired: http://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html
>
> My only question is the one line: “Sierra-117 to UNSC Infinity…” If John’s AWOL, how is he in communication and support from the UNSC’s flagship???

Because he hasn’t gone AWOL yet.