Bloom and Strafe Acceleration Ruined Reach

How Bloom and Strafe Acceleration Ruined Reach:

Two thumb sticks. Moving. Aiming.

Bloom decreases the importance of aiming.

Strafe acceleration reduces importance of moving.

These two mechanics, moving and aiming, are at the deepest level of a shooter’s core. If the player cannot move effectively, or cannot aim effectively, the player experience will not be good.

I agree, but it looks like Halo 4 threw out movement acceleration and bloom, aside from the DMR, which has a very minor bloom to stop cross-mapping.

Strafe acceleration? Reach is very slow compared to Halo 3. It hardly feels like your strafing at all.

Strafe died in Reach, without increased movement speed it was a guaranteed 5 or 6 shot.

Yeah, strafing is useless in Reach. Going back to Halo 3, I found that I was actually able to strafe and make people miss. You just can’t do that in Reach.

lol trying to oversimplify everything.

> lol trying to oversimplify everything.

I agree games need to stop getting so damn simple.

> > lol trying to oversimplify everything.
>
> I agree games need to stop getting so damn simple.

Its like kids and school these days…your taught based on the dumbest kid !

Strafing is still effective in reach, you’re just doing it wrong. Try a mix of bunnyhopping and crouching with your left-right strafe.

Some people can do the lag strafe very well. I remember getting screwed by that so much in a match.

Bloom is one of the few things in halo that is realistic. You’ll never be firing a gun and not have it kick back even slightly, hence the reticule expanding due to the shot fire then regaining your aim for the next shot. Removing bloom is a worse of a decision than increasing it in my opinion.

> Bloom is one of the few things in halo that is realistic. You’ll never be firing a gun and not have it kick back even slightly, hence the reticule expanding due to the shot fire then regaining your aim for the next shot. Removing bloom is a worse of a decision than increasing it in my opinion.

You’re right. Because realism > good gameplay.

> > Bloom is one of the few things in halo that is realistic. You’ll never be firing a gun and not have it kick back even slightly, hence the reticule expanding due to the shot fire then regaining your aim for the next shot. Removing bloom is a worse of a decision than increasing it in my opinion.
>
> You’re right. Because realism > good gameplay.

If you’re sincere my bad. But my point was just stating the realism even though higher bloom I prefer in the gameplay itself. If there’s no bloom precision based weapons are really the only viable thing.

> Bloom is one of the few things in halo that is realistic. You’ll never be firing a gun and not have it kick back even slightly, hence the reticule expanding due to the shot fire then regaining your aim for the next shot. Removing bloom is a worse of a decision than increasing it in my opinion.

Bloom was purely a game design decision to try and make the weapons balance/skilled and failed. Nothing realistic about that. Your also a super soldier that is in a super armor in the future that is strong enough to flip a tank but cant hold a measly gun steady? Bloom also wasnt present in the previous games. Some bloom may work becasue of the way reach is designed, but the way it was implemented initially was terrible.

I think in some ways you are talking about recoil of a gun. You can compensate for recoil but you cant compensate for an aiming reticule that is random. Even in real life the gun still shoots where the barrel is aimed at, not random within some circle the barrel is aimed at.

Take a look at this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLx5ISBXw4

> Bloom was purely a game design decision to try and make the weapons balance/skilled and failed. Nothing realistic about that. Your also a super soldier that is in a super armor in the future that is strong enough to flip a tank but cant hold a measly gun steady? Bloom also wasnt present in the previous games. Some bloom may work becasue of the way reach is designed, but the way it was implemented initially was terrible.
>
> I think in some ways you are talking about recoil of a gun. You can compensate for recoil but you cant compensate for an aiming reticule that is random. Even in real life the gun still shoots where the barrel is aimed at, not random within some circle the barrel is aimed at.
>
> Take a look at this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLx5ISBXw4

Regardless. People need to stop blaming negatives to being a “super solider”, he dies from a punch to the back but noooo…no one complains about that. Really? people with no armor at all would not die from that but great spartans weaknesses lie in fists scratching their armor. c’mon lol

But yes, I was referring to recoil.

I agree. Although I still really like Reach. It’s one of those things you get used to.

> > Bloom was purely a game design decision to try and make the weapons balance/skilled and failed. Nothing realistic about that. Your also a super soldier that is in a super armor in the future that is strong enough to flip a tank but cant hold a measly gun steady? Bloom also wasnt present in the previous games. Some bloom may work becasue of the way reach is designed, but the way it was implemented initially was terrible.
> >
> > I think in some ways you are talking about recoil of a gun. You can compensate for recoil but you cant compensate for an aiming reticule that is random. Even in real life the gun still shoots where the barrel is aimed at, not random within some circle the barrel is aimed at.
> >
> > Take a look at this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLx5ISBXw4
>
> Regardless. People need to stop blaming negatives to being a “super solider”, he dies from a punch to the back but noooo…no one complains about that. Really? people with no armor at all would not die from that but great spartans weaknesses lie in fists scratching their armor. c’mon lol
>
> But yes, I was referring to recoil.

Ive always took the punch to the back as getting hit in the back of the head. Kinda like a boxer can typically take way more punches to the lower area but only a couple to the head. Same thing with swinging a bat at somebody, greater chance to kill them in the head then hitting them in the body.

> Bloom decreases the importance of aiming.

Mind explaining that? Bloom increases the importance of timing and keeping your reticule small. Which requires aiming.

> Bloom was purely a game design decision to try and make the weapons balance/skilled and failed.

Opinion

> Nothing realistic about that.

Almost nothing in this game is.

> Your also a super soldier that is in a super armor in the future that is strong enough to flip a tank but cant hold a measly gun steady?

Its not about holding a gun steady. Its about firing at the optimal rate in which the gun functions best or is best to the situation.

> Bloom also wasnt present in the previous games.

Partially. Bloom precisely? No, but there are other forms of it.

> Some bloom may work becasue of the way reach is designed, but the way it was implemented initially was terrible.

Bloom itself is fine. Even at 100%. I find flaws in the weapons and the speed of the gameplay.

I didn’t even notice a difference between the TU bloom and original bloom until someone pointed it out. Actually, in the original gameplay, my pacing of shots made me the MVP in maybe 9/10 games. Now it seems like that spamming everyone complains about is even worse.

People get too worked up about this. Just play the darn game. If it alienates you so much you feel like not playing, that’s probably a good idea. It’s not really fun having someone complain all the time.

when he said “acceleration” it ment the time it takes to move at full speed.