Blood: an underused and legitimate visual feedback system

I get this is a subjective topic, but hear me out.

Halo Infinite succeeded in bringing back the original FEEL of Halo. I think most of us can agree that the base mechanics make it FEEL much like a spiritual successor to Halo 3, while taking advantage of advanced movement, which many have mixed opinions on. Visually, I’m a huge fan of this art style overall. The models are great, the sound design is fantastic. There are a couple things I might do to make it feel a little more lifelike and less plastic, such as textures and color modifications. However there is one thing that I believe would make all the difference in the world in facilitating a more realistic feel, and that is blood.

For me at least, I think that the use of blood acts as not only a tool to add realism to a game, but also acts as a legitimate visual feedback for dealing damage and earning kills. Sure we already have the addition of hit markers into the game. But the lack of blood combined with player outlines and every other visual stimulation there is right now make the game appear plastic, neon, and simulated.

It wouldn’t even have to be a ridiculous amount like Doom or anything, but at least some some decals at least would make a vast difference.

RSG 2 id a video of this on youtube that illustrates this extemely well. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSwvaes-7SQ&ab_channel=RSG2

17 Likes

I want blood but id question the assumption of infinite having the feel.
Feels the least halo like of any game so far imo.
It just plays dress up effectively.

3 Likes

what about actually battle damage like bullets holes or plasma burns, nothing too gory just a little more realistic visuals.

5 Likes

absolutely not necessary in halo… don’t know why so many people have the grief for blood and gore…

2 Likes

I wish it would come back

6 Likes

Funnily enough I actually thought about this the other day and couldn’t agree more.
Objectively speaking blood decals give you more feedback. A result - or consequence if you will - when firing a weapon which in any fps is a big deal in my opinion. All previous entries aside from Halo 4/5 (?) have this and it does a lot for the satisfaction.

Not a necessity of course, but neither is graphics that top those found in the original CE if we’re going down that route… Point is that it’s been a part of Halo since the beginning and at least having the option to enable it should be a thing.

4 Likes

Happy for it to be in but only if there’s a toggle.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind beating a elite/brute ten thousand times leaving a blood stain down a ship haul in Infinite like I did in CE :joy::joy::joy: or drawing a -Yoink!- in a wall with bullet holes. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Why the hell is everyone so obsessed with Halo 3?

2 Likes

Halo used to have blood in SP and MP. IDK where the hate for blood and gore comes from.

6 Likes

The realization that it’s not necessary? Blood doesn’t truly add anything to the storyline or the experience. It’s not necessary to indicate anything when there are other visual and audio markers for hits and kills. The minimization of blood also allows for Halo titles to have a softer rating - which does not detract from Halo, and allows for a larger legitimate fanbase.

Less blood is better.

2 Likes

I want shots to be much more visible. Kind of like Halo CE.

5 Likes

these games are literally about an alien alliance causing mass genocide, they’ve destroyed worlds, slaughtered billions, do people not realize how violent this is? the games visuals should match the tone of the story, and by that i mean i want to see more violent detail.

7 Likes

Ironically, some of the most violent depictions of Covenant treatment towards Humans that we’ve gotten have come from games rated Teen. Without an overabundance of blood and gore.

then kick it up to mature, im not asking for limbs ripped off or heads exploding, save that for the flood, but there needs to be a little more detail. halos been around for 20 years they could stand a lit bit more detail, like bullets tearing and plasma melting through armor, stuff like that

1 Like

Why? Why does it need that? If we’re to have games during the Human-Covenant war (ref: Halo Wars opening cutscene, Halo 4 opening cutscene) depicting the brutality of the Covenant in fairly graphic detail, why does the game need to be bloody and Mature?

idk for fun, its kinda boring see enemies just fall over when the die with no visual detail, other than some spasming then falling over.

3 Likes

Only there is blood, just not excessive and lingering. As well I don’t know about you, but I’m not exactly studying my kills. That’s kind of… eesh.

Because it’s immersion breaking when basic human biology isn’t depicted as it is. If you are too squeamish for incredibly fake looking video game blood, don’t play a war game about killing aliens, it’s pretty simple.

4 Likes

That is clearly a lie. If it did not add anything you would not have so much to say against it.

Yeah because rated M games have a real hard time getting millions of underage users. Get real.

Really? Goona use eesh for studying a kill but not for killing it self.

1 Like