Blitz - Starting army balance (discussion)

Hey everyone. I made this thread because I want to have a discussion about the balance of the starting armies. I elected not to post this under Blitz feedback because it’s not necessarily feedback, just a discussion for now. I am unsure about the balance of the starting armies and I would like to hear thoughts and opinions on each of them. So for simplicity, I will list them all below:

-Captain Cutter-
Phoenix army (total energy value 130):
x2 ODST (40e), x1 Nightingale (50e)

Raider army (total energy value 180):
x3 Warthogs (60e)

-Isabel-
Hacker army (total energy value 200):
x2 Wild Jackrabbit (60e), x1 Hornet (80e)

Heavy Weapons army (total energy value 180):
x2 Marines (20e), Trooper Warthog (140e)

-Professor Anders-
Tactician army (total energy value 140):
2x Cyclops (30e), x2 Marines (20e), x1 Wolverine (40e)

Sentinel Swarm army (total energy value 160):
3x Aggressor Sentinel (30e), Protector Sentinel (70e)

-Decimus-
Berserker army (total energy value 120):
x3 Jump Pack Brute (20e), x1 Reaver (60e)

Vampire army (total energy value 180):
x4 Bloodfuel Grunts (30e), x1 Terror Chopper (60e)

-Atriox-
Warlord army (total energy value 190):
x2 Banshee (60e), x1 Marauder (70e)

Bulletproof army (total energy value 120):
x1 Ironclad Hunters (70e), x1 Elite Rangers (30e), x2 Grunts (10e)

-Shipmaster-
Assassin army (total energy value 240):
x2 Prowling Marauder (120e)

Scout army (total energy value 90):
x3 Ghosts (30e)

So yes. I am seeing some very varied numbers here. But the biggest variant here is the Shipmaster so lets tackle that one first. One one side, you can get a starting army of a value of up to 240 versus a value of 90. So I am curious - how is that balanced? You could argue that it’s a strategic choice to pick 3 cheap fast units over 2 average speed ones, but then you need to compare it to Captain Cutter’s fast army of 3 Warthogs. Cutter gets 180 value with his fast army start versus 90 energy value that the Shipmaster gets for his. I am personally trying to understand the balance choice in this, but it’s a big difference and I’m having a hard time rationalizing it. So - any thoughts?

without analyzing HW2, but from prior experience in RTS, I wouldn’t try to match unit strength, or attempt to balance, based on economic cost only. Many other factors are involved once armies clash and what strengths certain factions have

I’ve only found to have beef with Shipmaster’s assassin start. The units are fine if they uncloak at capture points, without it at the moment they’re just too strong that early.

> 2789953162020734;3:
> I’ve only found to have beef with Shipmaster’s assassin start. The units are fine if they uncloak at capture points, without it at the moment they’re just too strong that early.

I find it to be one of the more challenging opposing starting army as well, but still manageable. I haven’t really found any of the starting armies game breaking in anyway and that is also not the point of my thread either. It’s more to understand how the balance works, because I think that it more or less does (despite having starting army values range from 90 to 240).

I agree with the point values not mattering as much. For instance, Anders tactician army is only 140 energy but I find it to be one of the most well rounded armies that is incredibly capable at taking out most of the other starting armies