BiRi Ideas.

The Binary Rifle is like a dry turkey sandwich: It’s boring as dirt.

It’s a noob friendlier Sniper Rifle that makes some serious concessions for it’s ability to OSK you by grazing your pinkie toe. It arguably doesn’t add anything interesting or unique compared to the Beam Rifle’s ability for noob double taps, at a cost, or higher RoF with properly managed heat levels. It doesn’t stand a chance at all compared to the Scattershot’s wall bounce ability.

So, what could be done to the BiRi to make it a more interesting and unique weapon to the sandbox?

I suggested having to have the reticule on the enemy when firing, otherwise it won’t fire, then it’d automatically charge the weapon, like the Laser and Railgun, but you don’t have to hold the trigger down. As it does so automatically you can’t interrupt it. Charge time could be 1 second or so to allow the target time to avoid instant death. If the target escapes you will waste a shot unless you quickly find something else to fire at.

> I suggested having to have the reticule on the enemy when firing, otherwise it won’t fire, then it’d automatically charge the weapon, like the Laser and Railgun, but you don’t have to hold the trigger down. As it does so automatically you can’t interrupt it. Charge time could be 1 second or so to allow the target time to avoid instant death. If the target escapes you will waste a shot unless you quickly find something else to fire at.

To me that’s just a shift change to being a reskin of the SpLaser with a bigger scope.

You call it a noob weapon just because it’s a one shot kill sniper and now you want to give it the ability to see and shoot through walls? Well that makes sense…

Personally, I dislike it as a weapon, it is to similar to the UNSC sniper Rifle, so similar in fact that giving the UNSC Sniper a Damage boost essentially makes it a buffed BiRi.

It could have been so much more.

It should have been a 2 body shot kill, 1 Headshot weapon, with a five magazine, slower chamber time than the UNSC variant, and if your within 5 meters of the final resting place of the shot, you take splash damage, and unscoped it acts as a sentinel beam style weapon, but has reloadable batteries split into 5 20%s, and you need a full 20% battery to fire a shot, if a battery has less than that, it means you have a mag size equal to all the full 20% batteries in the Magazine.

> It should have been a 2 body shot kill, 1 Headshot weapon, with a five magazine, slower chamber time than the UNSC variant, and if your within 5 meters of the final resting place of the shot, you take splash damage, and unscoped it acts as a sentinel beam style weapon, but has reloadable batteries split into 5 20%s, and you need a full 20% battery to fire a shot, if a battery has less than that, it means you have a mag size equal to all the full 20% batteries in the Magazine.

Aka the most overcomplicated sniper rifle in FPS history?

Its ancient forerunner tech, making it have unique traits is what would set it apart. It’s no more complicated than the LR. i mean seriously, if you cant see that it cannot fire a sniper shot on a unfilled battery, you should learn, give us replay-ability in the power weapons, something we need to learn to use, a well implemented skill gap.

> You call it a noob weapon just because it’s a one shot kill sniper and now you want to give it the ability to see and shoot through walls? Well that makes sense…

You missed reading the rest of my post.

Drop all previous idea’s for i have something for better than anything ever thought of in the history of Halo or any FPS, ever.

It will have 1 shot per gun.If aimed it will self-destruct and kill all within 50 feet.If shot in the air it will auto-seek all enemies and spawn kill them for 10 seconds.There, now that is unique.Nothing in Halo or any FPS does this.

Obviously kidding of course to people who couldn’t tell.

My personal opinion is that the Binary is in fact quite unique.Each sniper in Halo is unique.Each one requires a different use to fully utilize them.

Human sniper-You scope in and go for the Headshot,4 shots per mag, and highest kill amount potential.Moderate difficulty to snapshot.

Beam Rifle-Snapshot for best effects,Quickest multi-kill potential, and second highest kill potential.Extremely easy to snapshot.

Binary Rifle-Scope in and out quickly killing your target to avoid unwanted exposure of its laser.2 round mag and lowest kill amount potential, but always OHK.Near impossible to snapshot unless within shotgun range unlike the other snipers.

So how is the Binary OP exactly?Just because it’s a OHK?Then every OHK weapon is OP.I guess we need to nerf the rocket launcher,Icannon,Plasma grenades,Rail gun,FRG, and all OHK guns.Don’t pick on just a single weapon for something it shares with other weapons.Unless you are going to pick at all of the similar weapons as well.

All of the mentioned proposals above mine on how to change it would simply make it pathetic and avoidable.Right now the Binary Rifle is unique enough to obviously get picked out from all the other weapons in the sandbox for being what it is.How is that not unique?It is also a highly coveted Power weapon due to it’s amazing performance even during lag.

You could say it is probably one of few consistent guns that are usable online.Regardless of the amount of lag present.Unlike the promethean shotgun which is simply referred to as the “Lottery Cannon”.

To the person who suggested changing it to shoot through walls.Hell no!

The Binary Rifle will most likely end up a clone of the standard sniper and the targeting light effect that points you out all over the map will be changed to an effect something like the beam rifle. Also the Incineration Cannon will likely get adjusted to something like the rocket launcher or fuel rod cannon.

> > I suggested having to have the reticule on the enemy when firing, otherwise it won’t fire, then it’d automatically charge the weapon, like the Laser and Railgun, but you don’t have to hold the trigger down. As it does so automatically you can’t interrupt it. Charge time could be 1 second or so to allow the target time to avoid instant death. If the target escapes you will waste a shot unless you quickly find something else to fire at.
>
> To me that’s just a shift change to being a reskin of the SpLaser with a bigger scope.

A long range one hit kill weapon that requires you to keep the reticule on your enemy for a second. The rail gun is then a reskin of the laser as well.

Harder to use, fail to kill anyone and a shot will be wasted. Without majorly changing the whole concept of the Binary Rifle to the point where it’s an entirely different weapon I’d say it’s a viable solution.

Replacing it with another weapon designed to do something similair in another way is another matter.

There are worse 1-shot kill weapons in the game.

At least the Binary Rifle has very obvious limitations to counter-balance the 1-shot power. For instance, the scope makes the shooter stick out like an incredibly sore thumb. Use sparingly, otherwise you’ll give away your death warrant to the other team. It’s also a 2-shot clip with a slowish reload time, so it’s not like you can spam like you do with the UNSC Sniper or Plasma Cannon. I’d call the Plasma Cannon and Incineration Cannon far more noob-friendly.

I imagine Halo 5 will have a Sniper weapon for each faction, and the behavior will not differ much between them. If they do away with the 1-sk then it might as well just be a reskin of the other snipers, because that red sight was a big part of what made the Binary so unique.

> There are worse 1-shot kill weapons in the game.
>
> At least the Binary Rifle has very obvious limitations to counter-balance the 1-shot power. For instance, the scope makes the shooter stick out like an incredibly sore thumb. Use sparingly, otherwise you’ll give away your death warrant to the other team. It’s also a 2-shot clip with a slowish reload time, so it’s not like you can spam like you do with the UNSC Sniper or Plasma Cannon. I’d call the Plasma Cannon and Incineration Cannon far more noob-friendly.
>
> I imagine Halo 5 will have a Sniper weapon for each faction, and the behavior will not differ much between them. If they do away with the 1-sk then it might as well just be a reskin of the other snipers, because that red sight was a big part of what made the Binary so unique.

I’d agree here, and actually argue that overall the Binary Rifle is rather NOT newb-friendly. Poor & mediocre players will still routinely get carved up by individuals and/or teams that know their stuff, simply because the laser when scoped is so glaringly obvious. It makes avoiding sniper fire, ID’ing where the sniper is, and going for the kill that much easier.
Players that are actually good enough to use this sniper effectively (i.e., scope in/out quick, snap off a couple kills, and then quickly change position as the scope gives your location away) - likely benefit even more by using the Covenant or UNSC sniper variants.

Then why have/use this Forerunner sniper at all? If a gun is going to be so severely handicapped by a 2 bullet clip, laser sighting that everyone else can see when scoped, and horrible snapshot (unscoped) potential, then a 1sk seems fair to me.
The gun is fine, it is unique, and I fail to see how it plays O.P. - especially when it is a power-weapon like any of the other 1sk weapons.

> So how is the Binary OP exactly?

I didn’t say that the BiRi was OP.

I said it was boring.

The only other way I can think of is to make it like an Artillery launcher, similar GoW.

“Zooming in” would allow the person to set up the cannon to aim, holding the trigger determines how far it would go.

Letting go, or allowing the player to hold it to the max distance, would fire the shot, making a large trail and a loud noise indicating its arrival. Anyone inside the blast would be killed or really hurt.

Or

Allows us to control the bullet after firing the shot. Maybe not entirely, but maybe the speed could be high enough to keep it from doing circles around a target, and allows us to help players out that way.

I know this kinda not make it a Sniper Rifle anymore, but I think it would be more interesting than another Sniper Rifle. I just don’t know what else to do with it. We had the Focus Rifle, which didn’t do well…so…I’m drawing a blank besides those 2. :confused:

> Allows us to control the bullet after firing the shot. Maybe not entirely, but maybe the speed could be high enough to keep it from doing circles around a target, and allows us to help players out that way.
>
> I know this kinda not make it a Sniper Rifle anymore, but I think it would be more interesting than another Sniper Rifle. I just don’t know what else to do with it. We had the Focus Rifle, which didn’t do well…so…I’m drawing a blank besides those 2. :confused:

Personally, I’m digging the directable bullet idea.

That could allow for some impressive trick shots in shooting around cover by aiming for the sky and directing the bullet into the top of their head.

> I suggested having to have the reticule on the enemy when firing, otherwise it won’t fire, then it’d automatically charge the weapon, like the Laser and Railgun, but you don’t have to hold the trigger down. As it does so automatically you can’t interrupt it. Charge time could be 1 second or so to allow the target time to avoid instant death. If the target escapes you will waste a shot unless you quickly find something else to fire at.

Or I could just headshot someone the instant I pull the trigger with any other Sniper Rifle.

Part of the reason the Focus Rifle wasn’t a downgrade because it filled a suppression role by constantly descoping enemies.

All this does is make the Binary Rifle useless, much like…

Frankly the weapon should just be removed and replaced with a different concept, like a mortar. It’s a sniper rifle that kills in one bodyshot, it’s a worthless, unskillful addition to the sandbox.

> Frankly the weapon should just be removed and replaced with a different concept, like a mortar.

FRG should be the mortar weapon. Right now it’s just a yellow five shot rapid fire RL with green bullets.

I’m still hoping that something new and unique and yet still Sniper Rifley can occur to give the BiRi some character.

> FRG should be the mortar weapon. Right now it’s just a yellow five shot rapid fire RL with green bullets.
>
> I’m still hoping that something new and unique and yet still Sniper Rifley can occur to give the BiRi some character.

I might be one of the few people that actually prefer the CE FRG over the current iteration. Close range, it was terrifying - against vehicles, it was brutal, easily flipping any ground-based - and at long range, in the right hands, could be used to shell an enemy base from the other side of a map.
IMO, the reduced drop, “bounce” and “two-stage projectile” thing implemented in H2 was actually a bad idea, and removed the skill it took to wield one properly.

The BiR is kind of in a similar state, it could be a totally unique weapon, but instead, it’s “just another sniper rifle” because it’s too similar to what we already have.
I think it could actually be combined with the Scattershot - to give it “two distinct firing modes”. The idea for this is based on how the Ceph/alien weapons behave in Crysis 3 - most have two distinct modes, but the second generally does higher damage over a shorter period, but consumes ammo faster. Sort of similar to how the LR behaves.

It’s a Forerunner/Promethean weapon - it’s supposed to be strange, as well as optimised for combating Flood outbreaks.

Building off a magazine/energy cell capacity of ~5 shots, carrying a total of 20 - as it has dual fire modes.
If a unit is killed by rounds from either mode, will still deres/disintegrate.

Unscoped - one “shot” would fire a six? round burst (or fires six? rounds at once, take your pick), and consume one ammo unit .
However, it would still deal a moderate amount of damage, and operate best at close-mid range, with a “shotgun ROF”. Spread would be moderate, but tighter than the UNSC SG.
Projectiles will NOT bounce - however, will pass through multiple units, given the chance - much like sniper rounds.
2-3sk at mid range, 1sk at close.

Scoped - has a minor charge, (think Railgun, but a bit quicker), but can also be “overcharged” if the trigger is held. Would function similar to the Plasma Launcher.
One round would consume two ammo units, or one, if at the end of a clip - in much the same way a charged BS will consume 5 ammo, or whatever is left in the clip if less than 5.
A quick charge will fire one round, whereas an “overcharge” will fire however many rounds remain in the magazine/energy cell - spaced roughly .3-.5s apart.
This would optimise it for moving targets, especially infantry. However, weapon would have minor vertical recoil.
Projectiles would “detonate” on impact, with a very small AOE - doing secondary damage to anything nearby (good for clearing flood spores).
2sk to body, 1sk to head.

I mentioned using energy cells, but EC =/= magazine, nor does EC = battery either. Basically, you can pick up more, or find a Forerunner Recharging Station and be good to go again. It seems kind of silly that the forerunner have different “munitions” for each of their weapons. Since most of them are hardlight/directed energy, wouldn’t it be easier (and make more sense) if they all had a common energy system that could just be “recharged”?
These would probably be scattered through the campaign, and could be placed as an object in Forge, though would not normally exist on standard maps or in matchmaking.