BF 2042 release on 19 November - a problem?

Battlefield 2042 got now delayed and will release on 19. November - so more close to the Halo Infinite release.

Personally I think this might be no problem for the population [okay no one can see that bc 343 will not give us an population counter - again lol] but it might be a problem when there is less content. Cause the MP is free and when you don#t have to buy a game and you don’t have the best experience with the free game, you will more look to an game for which you actually paid a specific amount of money.

Wanna say, that people might play more that nearly even fresh released new BF and will prefer ot over Halo Infinite if the content lags that much like Halo 5. Especially when it’s more frustrating when you can not even level up your battlepass because you just have challenges that mostly sucks.

Any thoughts?

halo and BF do tend to have an overlapping playerbase since they’re both sandbox shooters generally played by people who dislike CoD, I can see them splitting some sales for sure. best case scenario infinite is good enough that people buy both, but either way infinite’s MP is free and people who enjoy the multiplayer will be more interested in buying the campaign, which should boost sales. as for population, if infinite is any good, it should definitely outlast battlefield’s. it’s a live service game with long term plans.

Difficult to predict tbh. A LOT of BF fans are not anymore so hyped about the game, since the last news, it seems to be pretty CoD’esk. A lot of BF Fans are worried about that EA (EA is just not good anymore tbh) want to attract the Cod Warzone players. But that doesn’t automatically mean they switch to Halo if they don’t like the new BF.

I played MANY hours of BF Vietnam, BF3 and BF4 and i don’t have a good feeling for the new BF (altough i want to play first the beta and than make a conclusion).

But a lot of casuals probably will like the new BF and it can be impact the playerbase of Halo. But yeah difficult to predict.

There are these factors they MAYBE have an impact:

• BF2042 setting is in the near future but far away from a Sci-FI setting like Halo → Sci-FI Fans probably play Halo, “Realistic” or Present setting fans probably play BF
  • F2P: Since Halo Infinite is F2P and the BF is probably a full Price title, i can imagine this is in favor for HI (Altough the Warzone-like mode from BF is maybe F2P, but i dont know tbh)
  • Some people even don’t know what a Arena Shooter is and will play they game wich is more common or they knew better, instead of trying something else. → in favor for BF
  • Some people want exactly Arena shooter and give a damn of 64vs64 player → in favor of HI
  • HI has to be damn good to convince Playstation player to buy an Xbox, to be a systemseller → in favor of BF
  • Maybe someone knows that better than me: wich game has more/better marketing and commercials

I’m wondering what the other Forum user will say, i have the feeling i forgot some factors^^

I think although both Halo and Battlefield are first person shooters, they each definitely have a different feel to them. I suppose one could cannibalize sales from the other, but this is much less of an issue than it would have been in years past because Halo’s multiplayer will be free to play. So if consumers are strictly looking only for a multiplayer shooter to buy and they can only afford one, then they only need to buy Battlefield 2042 and they can still play Halo as well. Also since Battlefield has no campaign if a consumer were looking for a first person shooter campaign to purchase the only two options in close proximity would either be COD Vanguard or Halo Infinite’s campaign. While Call of Duty always has a smaller dedicated fanbase that loves their campaigns, I think for the vast majority of players if they are wanting to play an FPS campaign they would be more willing to buy Halo for that than they are going to buy COD.

> 2533274987139949;3:
> Difficult to predict tbh. A LOT of BF fans are not anymore so hyped about the game, since the last news, it seems to be pretty CoD’esk. A lot of BF Fans are worried about that EA (EA is just not good anymore tbh) want to attract the Cod Warzone players. But that doesn’t automatically mean they switch to Halo if they don’t like the new BF.
>
> I played MANY hours of BF Vietnam, BF3 and BF4 and i don’t have a good feeling for the new BF (altough i want to play first the beta and than make a conclusion).
>
> But a lot of casuals probably will like the new BF and it can be impact the playerbase of Halo. But yeah difficult to predict.
>
> There are these factors they MAYBE have an impact:
>
> - BF2042 setting is in the near future but far away from a Sci-FI setting like Halo → Sci-FI Fans probably play Halo, “Realistic” or Present setting fans probably play BF
> - F2P: Since Halo Infinite is F2P and the BF is probably a full Price title, i can imagine this is in favor for HI (Altough the Warzone-like mode from BF is maybe F2P, but i dont know tbh)
> - Some people even don’t know what a Arena Shooter is and will play they game wich is more common or they knew better, instead of trying something else. → in favor for BF
> - Some people want exactly Arena shooter and give a damn of 64vs64 player → in favor of HI
> - HI has to be damn good to convince Playstation player to buy an Xbox, to be a systemseller → in favor of BF
> - Maybe someone knows that better than me: wich game has more/better marketing and commercials
>
> I’m wondering what the other Forum user will say, i have the feeling i forgot some factors^^

I definitely think you make some great points here. Battlefield is definitely more modern shooter than it is sci-fi shooter so depending on what consumers are looking for there is a pretty clear cut choice there. All the people who wished that this year’s COD was a modern shooter would probably be more likely to go with Battlefield. As far as I know there is no free-to-play portion of Battlefield at this time, so if you want to play Battlefield multiplayer at all you have to shell out $60 ($70 if you want the next-gen PS5/Series X version). I think that Battlefield’s style of shooter with a faster TTK would be more enticing to players who are going to skip COD this year but want a shooter that is close enough to it. Also like you said Playstation only gamers are unlikely to play Infinite unless the game is extremely amazing, and even then it’s a tough sell to get them to spend at minimum $300 to get a Series S to play the game.

Battlefield and Halo may have some crossover fanbase, but due to the radical differences in core gameplay I think generally players will be playing one or the other regardless of release date. It’s still almost a month apart so casual BF fans will be ready to move onto Halo by then.

The reasoning that someone who is disappointed with a F2P game will want to pay full price retail for a game is crazy logic to me. You aren’t wrong about moving on though. If someone doesn’t like Halo, they will move on to another game especially with Game Pass. It’s so easy to dismiss a game and first impressions matter now more than ever. Battlefield won’t change that, if they don’t like Halo there are so many strong titles available for PVP or single player and so many F2P games of high quality too. Competition is always there.

On a slightly separate note, I feel like every post I’ve seen from you is negative towards the release for one reason or another. I’m starting to think you are either lightly trolling or you are really stuck in a pessimistic web. I’m sorry if you are really worried about the game, but being anxious about something that hasn’t happened yet and may not happen is unhealthy and I can’t help support that kind of mentality.

> 2533274866022405;4:
> I definitely think you make some great points here. Battlefield is definitely more modern shooter than it is sci-fi shooter so depending on what consumers are looking for there is a pretty clear cut choice there. All the people who wished that this year’s COD was a modern shooter would probably be more likely to go with Battlefield. As far as I know there is no free-to-play portion of Battlefield at this time, so if you want to play Battlefield multiplayer at all you have to shell out $60 ($70 if you want the next-gen PS5/Series X version). I think that Battlefield’s style of shooter with a faster TTK would be more enticing to players who are going to skip COD this year but want a shooter that is close enough to it. Also like you said Playstation only gamers are unlikely to play Infinite unless the game is extremely amazing, and even then it’s a tough sell to get them to spend at minimum $300 to get a Series S to play the game.

Really good points you mentioned. Especially that CoD players wich don’t like the old World war setting will switch to BF. And player wich like the fast TTK, tend to play BF instead of Halo.

We will see what happens and how the playerbase will evolve. For me as a Halo and BF Fan, i’m more excited for Halo atm tbh.

I’m not particularly too worried, I don’t see it having a major impact on the games success in the long run.

I’d argue BF releasing in November is probably more concerning for CoD than Halo.

There’s a lot of FPS games releasing this holiday so there’s going to be a lot of players jumping into different games for different experiences. Halo has a huge advantage of being free to play and no other major competitor releasing in December as of right now.

> 2533274801036271;5:
> On a slightly separate note, I feel like every post I’ve seen from you is negative towards the release for one reason or another. I’m starting to think you are either lightly trolling or you are really stuck in a pessimistic web. I’m sorry if you are really worried about the game, but being anxious about something that hasn’t happened yet and may not happen is unhealthy and I can’t help support that kind of mentality.

better be careful this could be confirmation bias and assumptions

> 2533274953195665;2:
> halo and BF do tend to have an overlapping playerbase since they’re both sandbox shooters generally played by people who dislike CoD, I can see them splitting some sales for sure. best case scenario infinite is good enough that people buy both, but either way infinite’s MP is free and people who enjoy the multiplayer will be more interested in buying the campaign, which should boost sales. as for population, if infinite is any good, it should definitely outlast battlefield’s. it’s a live service game with long term plans.

I feel like the people who would buy the campaign would do it reguardless, but people who like the multiplayer are more likely to use gamepass to play it and unlock everything then stop paying for it.

I have no ties to BF2042. I have never played a past entry in the series and I don’t have time to pick up the next one.
However, I do hope that it will pull from Halo’s dissatisfied fanbase and force 343’s hand to adjust or completely turn around on some of the controversial decisions they have made with Infinite.

People have reacted badly to this new COD too. I think Halo stands a good chance

Would be less of a problem if both games were exclusive to new-gen and PC. Might be more of a problem because of the large number of people still on Xbox One and PS4 who might discover that their version of BF 2042 (60fps) is a more pleasant and enjoyable experience than the Xbox One version of Halo Infinite (30fps) and might gravitate toward BF simply because it feels better and less compromised.

BF 2042 will also have different player counts across gens and thus no cross-gen play, meaning there’s no risk of getting owned by another player who can react faster because their framerate is double or quadruple yours

Halo Infinite should not be worried about BF 2042, people would rather play a free multiplayer over a £60 multiplayer. And the campaign’s only competition is COD, which will destroy BF in sales, good thing it’s over a month apart from Halo.

> 2533274861263132;1:
> Battlefield 2042 got now delayed and will release on 19. November - so more close to the Halo Infinite release.
>
> Personally I think this might be no problem for the population [okay no one can see that bc 343 will not give us an population counter - again lol] but it might be a problem when there is less content. Cause the MP is free and when you don#t have to buy a game and you don’t have the best experience with the free game, you will more look to an game for which you actually paid a specific amount of money.
>
> Wanna say, that people might play more that nearly even fresh released new BF and will prefer ot over Halo Infinite if the content lags that much like Halo 5. Especially when it’s more frustrating when you can not even level up your battlepass because you just have challenges that mostly sucks.
>
> Any thoughts?

A lot of people are playing random games rn, waiting for new games to arrive. BF and Halo are the only real competitions rn. Vanguard looks terrible universally. People will pop in and out of both games, streamers will come and go as they always do and it’ll be the main fans that stay (like it always has been.)

Halo Infinite will not have a problem with population considering it’s free to play multiplayer, as well as the Millions of people who are subscribed to Gamepass. There will be a cross-over of player base for sure, however Battlefield does have a paywall and Halo Infinite does not. I’m keen to play both, they are very different games and I will no doubt enjoy both.

The two games are first person shooters. The similarities end there. The playerbase overlap is likely very small, so no, there ought to be no reason for concern.

I’m excited for 2042 and plan to buy it. I also plan to play Infinite, but I’m concerned that Infinite’s battlepass system is just going to be a grinding cash grab. So basically to me it comes down to whichever game feels like it respects the player more with it’s progression system.

I don’t really agree with the idea that people will drop Halo because of a “lack of content”. All we’re missing is forge mode, something that the majority of MP games don’t have in any capacity. If you look at the biggest MP games of the last roughly five years, they’ve basically had one form of gameplay that they do well. Fortnite, Pubg, Warzone, Seige. It’s a shame Infinite won’t launch with forge, but what will make or break its population will be how well it plays, if the game is stable when it releases and how much traction it gets with influencers.
To more directly answer the question, I don’t see it making a big impac. Because the Halo infinite MP is free I don’t see people not checking it out just because they’re still enjoying Battlefield, and once they’ve played it’ll come down to which game they generally prefer playing, same as if it had come on on its original date. I’d be more worried if it came out after, but at the moment Halo Infinite has a pretty clear run over the Christmas break.

As someone who’s been a launch player for every BF going back to BC2 as well as every Halo launch, I can tell you that no one needs to worry about launch BF interfering with Infinite. BF games launch in a gosh awful state and stay that way for the first 3-6 months. Say what you want about H5’s launch, but at least the game functioned (looking at you BF4).

BF moving next to Infinite could end up driving players to Infinite from BF if it’s in the same launch state that BF5, BF1, and BF4 launched in (BF1 was the most well functioning launch of that bunch I think).

For extra info, I’ve extensively played every BF except 2142, just not at launch for the ones before BC2.

Frankly, I don’t understand the majority of gamers. I find Fortnitr tedious, Apex fine but would rather have TF3, and Warzone a shadow of traditional CoD. I prefer a paid title where the vast majority of content is unlockable to free games that are filled with unnecessary new new new new content drops and expensive tacky cosmetics. However, those games and models appeal to tens of millions of players while the things I like are getting the axe or aren’t getting the love they deserve.

I am interested in Halo Infinite solely for the campaign. If the MP is fun that is awesome I suspect that if BF 2042 leans towards old school BF (Bf3/4 best imo), it won’t grab the gamers mentioned above but if will grab me. I’d it goes Warzone esque, it will drag those players. Personally, I don’t care either way. I don’t like the communities that seems to pop up around free games. So if they all go to BF 2042 I will happily enjoy my long matchmaking times.

No, this game’s free. That alone will let it succeed.