Better aircraft controls please!

I know Halo is supposed to be an arcade game, but I feel the Hornets, Falcons, and Banshees are all in need of better, more skill-based control-flight systems.

The Hornet/Falcon: Currently the controls of these helicopters mimic the controls for an infantry soldier with the added twist of being able to increase or decrease altitude. What I would like to see is your helicopter’s pitch dominating helicopter movement and roll serving a purpose. This helicopter tutorial explains it nicely. If you already understand the helicopter controls I’m writing about, skip to 4:30 so you can see a demonstration of what this control system can really be used for.

The Banshee: I would like the Banshee to be able to move in 3 dimensions in any forward orientation the Banshee wants. The Banshee is after all closest to a fighter jet. Similar to a Jet, the Banshee should be able to fly upside down, do barrel-rolls, do an immelman turn, high Yo-Yo, Split-S, Lagging maneuver, the Chandelle and every other turning maneuver out there (and no, those scripted A + analog stick maneuvers don’t count). Currently, Banshee dogfights are a contest of who is the most stubborn at toiletbowling the longest. How is that fun?

We all keep asking for more skill based mechanics to be put into our infantry firefights, shouldn’t it be the same with aircraft?

Agreed, this is the best thing 343 could do to improve vehicle combat.

If my hunch is right, we just might be getting War Sphinxes to pilot in Halo 4.

love it.
Aircraft should be like that. more skilled based and less “n00b-friendly” you should also be ALBE to crash you aircraft. That would be fun

> love it.
> Aircraft should be like that. more skilled based and less “n00b-friendly” you should also be ALBE to crash you aircraft. That would be fun

So going and 9/11’ing the other teams… say Tank isn’t “n00b-friendly”? I think over complex flight controls would just destroy Halos aerial vehicles. If we have this many anti-vehicular weapons in Reach then what will that compare to H4? Now you can just shoot down a Banshee with a sniper or 3 dudes just team DMR’ing it.

Flight controls should stay the same since over-complication would literally destroy aerial vehicles in-game.

I think that would be pretty damn cool!

I don’t think they should be too complicated, but they shouldn’t be very easy either. Jeez, 343 would be amazing if they found a way to set the line.

In all honesty? No. It’s a cool idea because I simply love how flying handles in BF3, but the consequence that comes with it is that because of the added complexity, you don’t know if the guy piloting is going to fly you to success, or crash and burn shortly after lifting off. If it’s simple, I won’t have to worry about regretting jumping in that falcon that’s now upside down and falling fast due to an incompetent pilot, because everyone would be able to do it with relative ease.

> In all honesty? No. It’s a cool idea because I simply love how flying handles in BF3, but the consequence that comes with it is that because of the added complexity, you don’t know if the guy piloting is going to fly you to success, or crash and burn shortly after lifting off. If it’s simple, I won’t have to worry about regretting jumping in that falcon that’s now upside down and falling fast due to an incompetent pilot, because everyone would be able to do it with relative ease.

I don’t know about you, but when I get into a Falcon with a randy pilot I know I’m going down in the next 10 seconds. Hell, I can expect the same thing for Warthog, and it’s a car!

Randies are always gonna randy, there’s no fixing that. Knowing how to fly is only 10% of what makes a good pilot. It’s the strategy and tactics from map knowledge, instincts, teamwork, and battlefield information that ensure your average life in the air will last more than ten seconds. So if randies are always going to be bad at flying vehicles, why dumb the controls down when that has been proven to not help the skills of randy pilots? The best you can do at this point is raise the skill ceiling for already experienced pilots to reward them for their skill at piloting these vehicles and perhaps some randies out of the bunch will feel so inspired by the skilled pilots’ absolute mastery of the air that they will dedicate themselves to learning how to fly.

> Currently, Banshee dogfights are a contest of who is the most stubborn at toiletbowling the longest. How is that fun?

Friggin Hilarious!

As much as I’d like to have these in the game, I’m going to have to disagree.

One of the best things about Halo is that the controls are nearly exactly the same as the normal infantry controls. The vehicle essentially becomes a more armoured, more manoeuvrable, more powerful verison of yourself. Plus it’s a lot easier for people who have just started playing the game. All the vehicle controls have been like this since the beginning. I think they should leave them as they are as they’re perfect for Halo. They’re simple and they work.

I do think however, that the Banshee should be a lot faster and a lot more manoeuvrable while boosting. I hate the limited boost in Reach. The funny thins is is taht a fully-boosting Banshee is slower than a Falcon. Maybe the controls could change while boosting? So it’s like “Banshee mode” and “Jet mode”. That might be a good idea.