Better Advertising for H5

I remember seeing a Call of Duty (not sure which game since there are so many) commercial and even though I do not care for the series, I actually thought it was a good commercial. The kind that I am talking about is where they had different celebrities all acting out playing CoD. It was a neat commercial.

From what I can recall, Halo has never had particularly exciting commercials for their games. Some of them may be exciting to people that already are looking forward to or are into the series, but not to other people like that CoD commercial. The first Halo commercial that comes to mind is the one for a Reach map pack where there was this guy running around shooting rockets and yelling things about fire… are you kidding me?! That is just stupid! It’s not exciting and felt more like some kind of 5th grader inside joke. I don’t think that anyone that wasn’t already into Halo saw that and said, “That game looks fun.”

If you want to attract more fans and bring old fans back, the place you may want to put more effort into is advertising.

Halo had always had good advertising, my favourite is the halo 3 “believe” trailer. The call of duty advertising is always good but they use gimmicks like Megan fox. Why does advertising even halo is a good franchise and a good game will always speak for itself :slight_smile:

Agreed, Halo has never poured as much into advertising as CoD or Battlefield do.

But what strengths are they going to play up?

Commercials like the one where master chief kills some knights or the one where the Spartan IV is drinking dew and lifting weights don’t really say much about the game itself other than “hey, it exists.”

Even Halo 3’s trailers wouldn’t appeal to anyone outside the Halo fanbase. I mean maybe the one with the bubbleshield, but no one is going to watch the “believe” trailer and suddenly feel like buying Halo.

> Agreed, Halo has never poured as much into advertising as CoD or Battlefield do.
>
> But what strengths are they going to play up?
>
> Commercials like the one where master chief kills some knights or the one where the Spartan IV is drinking dew and lifting weights don’t really say much about the game itself other than “hey, it exists.”
>
> Even Halo 3’s trailers wouldn’t appeal to anyone outside the Halo fanbase. I mean maybe the one with the bubbleshield, but no one is going to watch the “believe” trailer and suddenly feel like buying Halo.

Exactly this.

The one where he kills Knights was a poor representation of the Promethean threat. They were hyped up to be a new challenge, the commercial did not help.

Keeping it mysterious is a good thing imagine how rubbish it would be knowing what the new threat is. Imagine in halo CE they made a trailer about the flood how rubbish would the experience knowing about it

> Keeping it mysterious is a good thing imagine how rubbish it would be knowing what the new threat is. Imagine in halo CE they made a trailer about the flood how rubbish would the experience knowing about it

Except they unveiled the Prometheans at E3 months before the commercial…

At this point, it is simply impossible to catch players by surprise without unveiling a new enemy faction in the game’s debut. Halo CE’s surprise is unique, Halo 5 will not be able to maintain that element of surprise.

> Keeping it mysterious is a good thing imagine how rubbish it would be knowing what the new threat is. Imagine in halo CE they made a trailer about the flood how rubbish would the experience knowing about it

I think there is a fundamental difference between who the primary enemies are going to be in the game and the secret space parasites nobody saw coming or were not hinted at.

I’ll admit that Halo 3’s advertisements on the whole weren’t the best for trying to get new people interested in the franchise, but they did do some things right.

Honestly, you’d have to have been living under a rock to not have heard about Halo back when Halo 3’s advertising campaign was happening. I don’t think it was possible to watch TV for 30 minutes and not see a Halo 3 ad back then. Even the Military channel had a marathon of the show Future Weapons where they would mention that Halo 3 was involved with the marathon at every possible moment.

The E3 trailer for Halo Xbox One is the right style to start with to attract new fans. It had that “Star Wars” feel to it and the mystery that everyone loves and can relate to. They need to present the game as an adventure, a giant journey and people will like the idea of it. More commercials showing MC killing aliens won’t work.

Overall, Halo has always had great advertisement, but now, with Destiny and Titanfall, there is a lot more competition in sci fi shooters. They need to step it up.

I have an idea…Imagine the dream MM we all want…with players fighting on an awesome, huge map.

There, the players will be talking, with relatively popular faces like youtubers, celebrities, even fictional characters! XD

It should go like this on a BTB map…maybe Sandtrap!
Jeff Steizer should announce this:
“Game starting in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Prepare to drop!”
-Some fun yet Haloish song should play while drop pods fall out of the sky-

In general all these famous players should be making call outs and in general have a blast…
This way, we will advertise the MM not the STORY OR ENEMIES
Not to mention that this will increase the longetivity of players in MM for the first weeks and may get some more preorders due to them actually showing gameplay that appeals to everyone.

I’m not a great script writer, but still, it is bound to get more people on…compared to Halo4’s weapons trailers which to anyone who isn’t a fan is just weird!

I really do think they could have done a better job with advertising Halo 4. I did really enjoy a few of the commercials that they put out, but in comparison to the huge ad campaign that hit with Halo 3 Microsoft didn’t do that great advertising Halo 4 and I think they though that the pure hype surrounding the game would carry it alone. Halo 3 had some of the most memorable commercials I’ve ever seen weather it be from the Believe campaign or the Landfall live action short. Halo 4 did have the Forward Unto Dawn series which I watch as frequently as Red vs. Blue, but with Halo XO I’d like to see something similar to Halo 3 as far as Marketing goes. Either way I can’t wait to see what they come out with.

> I’m not a great script writer, but still, it is bound to get more people on…compared to Halo4’s weapons trailers which to anyone who isn’t a fan is just weird!

Those trailers were weird even from a fan’s point of view. They just threw in dubstep and electronic music for everything, even though that was never really a thing for Halo outside annoying montages. What happened to the orchestral and chanting monks in the music that allowed anyone to go, “That’s Halo”? That was something that also separated Halo from other games on the market, and being different is good.

Does anyone not remember Halo reaches commercials?? they were just WOW! everyone said, just make a 2 hour movie that look liked this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSarbTUOly4

Halo 3 had some really good ones too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rridXskgWg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDkKKt9Y7I - Oh just listen to that MUSIC!!! I miss the Halo theme SO MUCH!! BRING IT BACK!!!

COD’s are good but are always the same… they just use celebrities.

More like reaches and h3 please!

> > I’m not a great script writer, but still, it is bound to get more people on…compared to Halo4’s weapons trailers which to anyone who isn’t a fan is just weird!
>
> Those trailers were weird even from a fan’s point of view. They just threw in dubstep and electronic music for everything, even though that was never really a thing for Halo outside annoying montages. What happened to the orchestral and chanting monks in the music that allowed anyone to go, “That’s Halo”? That was something that also separated Halo from other games on the market, and being different is good.

What, you guys didn’t like those? :frowning:

I thought they did a good job of showing off all the cool weapons, maps and combat, while getting people pumped up for the game.

I think they did a good job with the halo 5 teaser trailer people are trying to decrypt it like it was a letter left by the zodiac killer

Seeing that big war machine has gave me high hopes for an epic boss battle :slight_smile:

> > > I’m not a great script writer, but still, it is bound to get more people on…compared to Halo4’s weapons trailers which to anyone who isn’t a fan is just weird!
> >
> > Those trailers were weird even from a fan’s point of view. They just threw in dubstep and electronic music for everything, even though that was never really a thing for Halo outside annoying montages. What happened to the orchestral and chanting monks in the music that allowed anyone to go, “That’s Halo”? That was something that also separated Halo from other games on the market, and being different is good.
>
> What, you guys didn’t like those? :frowning:
>
> I thought they did a good job of showing off all the cool weapons, maps and combat, while getting people pumped up for the game.

It just in my opinion wasn’t as ‘classic’ of a music like the original trilogy(even a different music that is not Halo can still be classic) and not to mention that the weird chanting and dubstep was somewhat detracting for me personally due to my disdain of dubstep. It didn’t make anyone I know even want to reconsider buying that game! Sure music won’t always appeal to everyone but I just didn’t take it much of an incentive to play…

I don’t think they need to reveal secrets about the story for it to be an exciting commercial. Just show plenty of cool action montage stuff.

> Does anyone not remember Halo reaches commercials?? they were just WOW! everyone said, just make a 2 hour movie that look liked this!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSarbTUOly4
>
> Halo 3 had some really good ones too.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rridXskgWg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDkKKt9Y7I - Oh just listen to that MUSIC!!! I miss the Halo theme SO MUCH!! BRING IT BACK!!!
>
> COD’s are good but are always the same… they just use celebrities.
>
> More like reaches and h3 please!

These are okay. I think that they would work better as just online trailer things to get people that are already fans more excited for the game. The things that should be shown on TV and at the beginning of youtube videos and all that should be action packed with tons of fights and such. The videos that you linked do have fighting, but are pretty slow. When I clicked on one, I coincidentally had a CoD Ghosts advertisement right before it that better fits what I think would work better for attracting new players.

Like this:

It doesn’t tell you anything about the story or the game really. Just makes it look action packed and (frankly) much better than the game really is. This could EASILY be done with Halo either in some crazy campaign fight or a bunch of cool multiplayer sick clips.

> > Does anyone not remember Halo reaches commercials?? they were just WOW! everyone said, just make a 2 hour movie that look liked this!
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSarbTUOly4
> >
> > Halo 3 had some really good ones too.
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rridXskgWg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDkKKt9Y7I - Oh just listen to that MUSIC!!! I miss the Halo theme SO MUCH!! BRING IT BACK!!!
> >
> > COD’s are good but are always the same… they just use celebrities.
> >
> > More like reaches and h3 please!
>
> These are okay. I think that they would work better as just online trailer things to get people that are already fans more excited for the game. The things that should be shown on TV and at the beginning of youtube videos and all that should be action packed with tons of fights and such. The videos that you linked do have fighting, but are pretty slow. When I clicked on one, I coincidentally had a CoD Ghosts advertisement right before it that better fits what I think would work better for attracting new players.
>
> Like this:
> http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71eY/call-of-duty-ghosts-song-by-eminem
> It doesn’t tell you anything about the story or the game really. Just makes it look action packed and (frankly) much better than the game really is. This could EASILY be done with Halo either in some crazy campaign fight or a bunch of cool multiplayer sick clips.

See, that’s what the weapon trailers did. The music was dubstep because dubstep is currently popular, just like rap. Appeals more to modern potential fans.

> > > Does anyone not remember Halo reaches commercials?? they were just WOW! everyone said, just make a 2 hour movie that look liked this!
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSarbTUOly4
> > >
> > > Halo 3 had some really good ones too.
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rridXskgWg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDkKKt9Y7I - Oh just listen to that MUSIC!!! I miss the Halo theme SO MUCH!! BRING IT BACK!!!
> > >
> > > COD’s are good but are always the same… they just use celebrities.
> > >
> > > More like reaches and h3 please!
> >
> > These are okay. I think that they would work better as just online trailer things to get people that are already fans more excited for the game. The things that should be shown on TV and at the beginning of youtube videos and all that should be action packed with tons of fights and such. The videos that you linked do have fighting, but are pretty slow. When I clicked on one, I coincidentally had a CoD Ghosts advertisement right before it that better fits what I think would work better for attracting new players.
> >
> > Like this:
> > http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71eY/call-of-duty-ghosts-song-by-eminem
> > It doesn’t tell you anything about the story or the game really. Just makes it look action packed and (frankly) much better than the game really is. This could EASILY be done with Halo either in some crazy campaign fight or a bunch of cool multiplayer sick clips.
>
> See, that’s what the weapon trailers did. The music was dubstep because dubstep is currently popular, just like rap. Appeals more to modern potential fans.

While yes that is true, why can’t Halo be unique? I’d rather play with the core of Halo and more…mature(not in age but attitude, I’m fine playing wit squekers…) people. Honestly, I have it as a personal preference to believe that Halo is NOT good when they do these things to modernize it(Loadouts, AAs, Perks, etc could have been thought out more thoroughly, although at least they changed it up…>)