Betraying

I am sick and tired of getting betrayed and never given the option to boot. The game itself should be able to determine if it was accident or not based on the proximity of enemies and other factors. I know this cane be done. Fix real problems, not bloom.

> I am sick and tired of getting betrayed and never given the option to boot. The game itself should be able to determine if it was accident or not based on the proximity of enemies and other factors. I know this cane be done. Fix real problems, not bloom.

its broke, the only real solution is to remove friendly fire, do this and it solves ALOT of problems with reach.
There is no valid reason what so ever to allow friendly fire.

> There is no valid reason what so ever to allow friendly fire.

Stick your team mate with a plasma, have him run into a room full of enemies, kill them all and survive. There’s a valid reason why we need friendly fire.

Determining if a betrayal was intentional or not would be hard. I have had my team mate accidentally melee me when I had Inclement Weather on and we were Red Team.

I agree the booting system is messed up, but I think we should keep friendly fire on. I mean its one of the parts that makes halo halo.

> Determining if a betrayal was intentional or not would be hard. I have had my team mate accidentally melee me when I had Inclement Weather on and we were Red Team.

It’s easier for things like projectile betrayals.

Raycasting from the killer’s point of view five seconds ago toward the victim’s position five seconds ago shows if the killer could see the victim five seconds ago. Repeat the calculation with the positions at the time the round was fired. Based on that, a reasonable guess can be made as to whether or not the killer could see the victim heading into the path of the round about to be fired.

From there, the victim’s movement path can be checked. If they were moving in a line or a curve, then the killer could probably anticipate where they were going (assuming that the previous test shows the killer could see them). If they were zig-zagging or moving in a squiggle? Not so much. This sounds complex, but… Have you ever been in an algebra or pre-calculus class where you had to use a calculator to create a linear, exponential, et cetera, approximation of several data points? In other words, creating a line or curve that best fit an irregular path of dots using automated and easy (to the calculator) means? Take that math, put it here.

Now, some projectiles are delayed, like rockets and Wraith shots. So we extend the movement path computation to encompass not just the victim’s position from five seconds prior to the round being fired, to the firing time; we calculate from five seconds before the round was fired to the moment of impact. And if there were any sudden swerves made by the victim, we do more raycasting to see if the killer could see the victim change their movement path accordingly (but this would have less weight in determining if the kill was deliberate, as the killer can’t really control their projectile after it launches).

Here, we can handle some edge-cases. If the victim died in the impact or very shortly after (within a few frames), then we know that the round killed them more-or-less directly. But if it took several tenths of a second for the victim to die, then it wasn’t a direct kill. These are your ridiculous, freaky-as-all-hell situations – killing a Banshee and having a chunk of debris crush a teammate across the map, for example.

But how will they log this data? They already do. This data is streamed to the hard drive, which is why we have Theater. The game itself could run these calculations. It may be trickier if host doesn’t have a hard drive, as then the data would need to be stored in RAM, but I’m sure some optimizations could be made by cutting out a lot of the irrelevant data that Theater logs (corpse locations, et cetera).

And all of this? This is just off the top of my head, and I’m not even that good at math. I fricking hate math, actually. Imagine if 343 could find someone who loves math and knew how to use all of this data I’m describing? One of the few things I hate more than math are those “EVERYTHING ARE POSSIBLE IF U PUT UR MIND TO IT” posts, but in this case, this actually is possible if 343 puts their mind to it.

> its broke, the only real solution is to remove friendly fire, do this and it solves ALOT of problems with reach.
> There is no valid reason what so ever to allow friendly fire.

This is what I says. Other games don’t have this problem, and other games don’t have friendly fire. I’m not casual OR competitive MLG, I like to have fun in my games.

> > its broke, the only real solution is to remove friendly fire, do this and it solves ALOT of problems with reach.
> > There is no valid reason what so ever to allow friendly fire.
>
> This is what I says. Other games don’t have this problem, and other games don’t have friendly fire. I’m not casual OR competitive MLG, I like to have fun in my games.

other games are other games. they don’t play like halo.

trust me, taking friendly fire off would cause alot of new exploits.

ever seen how easy it is to cap a flag when a team mate is pushing you to your base with his ghost?

or restrict the boot system until the same player has betrayed you 3 times, because I dont like where if My teammate trys to rocket a guy whose hijacking my ghost, it blows up and the wing or the back of it hits and kills him, and guess who gets kicke… on second thought, Ill let you decide for yourselves…

> or restrict the boot system until the same player has betrayed you 3 times, because I dont like where if My teammate trys to rocket a guy whose hijacking my ghost, it blows up and the wing or the back of it hits and kills him, and guess who gets kicke… on second thought, Ill let you decide for yourselves…

Okay.

Now please excuse me while I rocket you directly in the face twice, and then proceed to deshield you repeatedly without actually killing you for the rest of the match.

(I wouldn’t actually doing that. Just a hypothetical demonstration of the problems with a three-strike system.)

or, let me climb into an opposing teams vehicle and when you destroy it, kick you

My thought on the betrayal system is this, its the best system that works for Halo Reach personally if you get kicked several times from a game there could be repercussions but there are always situations that differ from average game play like people trying to get you to kill them and such.

The one thing I believe needs to be fixed is on infection either take off the betrayal system period or make it so when I get killed by a zombie and my shotgun kills the zombie later it doesn’t count as a betrayal. It sort of has made me not want to play infection on matchmaking that much since I could get kicked from the game for killing a zombie while when I fired the shot, I was human

> > There is no valid reason what so ever to allow friendly fire.
>
> Stick your team mate with a plasma, have him run into a room full of enemies, kill them all and survive. There’s a valid reason why we need friendly fire.
>
> Determining if a betrayal was intentional or not would be hard. I have had my team mate accidentally melee me when I had Inclement Weather on and we were Red Team.

How about disabling stiking on teamates with plasma nades so that isn’t a problem?

> I agree the booting system is messed up, but I think we should keep friendly fire on. I mean its one of the parts that makes halo halo.

this

besides there MUST be a way to correct the problem without removing a key feature in the game.

I just hate it when I get in a wraith then my teammate just keeps pounding on me till the wraith is on fire.

Also involving Living Dead, if 343 doesn’t fix the shotgun/infected/betrayed thing than they just need to take out betrayal altogether. It’s just annoying how people betray without any consequences.

How about give an incentive to win the game.

Then people might actually care enough to play instead of betray.

I get tired of being fragged and shot for the sniper rifle multiple times and never getting the option to boot, but I finally shoot back and kill him with my gun because I’m fed up of being messed with and I get booted the first go round. Pretty broken if you ask me. I thought the 3 strikes rule was supposed to be in effect? You betray three people in a 30 minute period and you give people the boot option. simple and fair.

> How about give an incentive to win the game.
>
> Then people might actually care enough to play instead of betray.

trollz gonna troll

We must find a way to stop this unstoppable force or else we will suffer a grave fate that might cost us our last beacon of hope. 343i must find some sort of way to stop them before they take over and all hope will be lost. all we can do is pray while 343i formulates a plan to finally wipe out this evil species once and for all!

why not just make the boot option come up 100% of the time? I like having friendly fire. it makes your team mates seem more real since you have to be careful where you drive or throw grenades. since accidental betrayals are less frequent than intentional betrayals so overall, I believe this would be better than removing friendly fire altogether.

> trust me, taking friendly fire off would cause alot of new exploits.
>
> ever seen how easy it is to cap a flag when a team mate is pushing you to your base with his ghost?

If they have the ability to stay in front of a boosting Ghost without being tossed aside, then I guess they deserve that flag capture. That’s something that would take a lot of time to set up, and time isn’t something you have when you have 8 people hunting for you.

> > trust me, taking friendly fire off would cause alot of new exploits.
> >
> > ever seen how easy it is to cap a flag when a team mate is pushing you to your base with his ghost?
>
> If they have the ability to stay in front of a boosting Ghost without being tossed aside, then I guess they deserve that flag capture. That’s something that would take a lot of time to set up, and time isn’t something you have when you have 8 people hunting for you.

Just getting hit by a Ghost at full speed can send you halfway across Hemorrhage significantly faster than any vehicle could travel. It would be only slightly harder to exploit than flag juggling.