Betraying team mates, hear me out

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I’m writing because this im sick to death of accidentally betraying someone and getting booted by it. One example is I boarded a wraith, threw a frag in there and the explosion killed a teammate who happen to be running past. So my question is this: WHY THE -Yoink- ARE YOU ABLE TO BETRAY YOUR TEAM MATES?! It’s fuckinh ridiculous and causes so much bulshit. Bungie have made a penalty for anyone who constantly betrays teammates, but why not save the bulshit and turn friendly fire off? I’ve -Yoinking!- had it. If halo 4 has friendly fire on I will not be buying the game.

This argument has appeared frequently in the forum. If betrayals were impossible then grenades, rockets etc would be used with reckless abandon. Forces you to watch for your teamates. It is annoying and I recommend you search the forum for similar topics, others may give better explanations.

> If halo 4 has friendly fire on I will not be buying the game.

Don’t lie to yourself you know you’ll buy it either way.

The problem isn’t so much the fact that you -can- betray allies, it’s how quickly they are given the option to betrayal boot, often 1 acidental betrayal kill is enough. Just the other day I shot an Enemy banshee down with a spartan laser and a piece of the wreckage (had to check theater to see what the hell happend As i was sure the banshee was an enemy not an ally) dropped on an ally and killed them giving me +1 betrayal and him the boot option which of course he said yes as they always do.

To answer your question about friendly fire, I suggest you test that 4v4, about 5 games in custom. You will find that suicide bombing becomes the main tactic. The trick is, the suicide bomber doesn’t die. You have a stick, stick it your teammate as he sprints into a room. Very annoying tactic but with friendly fire on, it is also very effective. If friendly fire is on, you need him to kill at least two people to make it a worthy tactic.

> To answer your question about friendly fire, I suggest you test that 4v4, about 5 games in custom. You will find that suicide bombing becomes the main tactic. The trick is, the suicide bomber doesn’t die. You have a stick, stick it your teammate as he sprints into a room. Very annoying tactic but with friendly fire on, it is also very effective. If friendly fire is on, you need him to kill at least two people to make it a worthy tactic.

I’d rather that than accidentally betraying and getting booted or getting betrayed and not being able to boot for a purposeful betrayal, such as killing me for a particular weapon. I’d say somehow make it so you cannot stick a teammate? I don’t know. I’d almost them get rid of sticky’s rather than have friendly fire D:

> To answer your question about friendly fire, I suggest you test that 4v4, about 5 games in custom. You will find that suicide bombing becomes the main tactic. The trick is, the suicide bomber doesn’t die. You have a stick, stick it your teammate as he sprints into a room. Very annoying tactic but with friendly fire on, it is also very effective. If friendly fire is on, you need him to kill at least two people to make it a worthy tactic.

Don’t forget launching in Grifball! But yes, I do think friendly-fire should remain in-game, but the betrayal/boot system needs a fix.

If it really happens that often then you’re either hopelessly careless or just plain unlucky.

It is purely to prevent careless play.

And the way the betrayal record works prevents people who rarely betray getting booted.

I remember it actually took effort to betray teammates in Halo 3.

> If it really happens that often then you’re either hopelessly careless or just plain unlucky.

Not really. I’ve been betrayed by teammates when the enemy should have gotten the kill (no shields very little health).

In halo 4 I think they should take betrayals out of every playlist, then have hardcore/MLG playlists that have it for realism and stuff.

Those rocket and grenade arguments are completely invalid and pathetic.
That arguement is a complete and utter joke, grenades and rockets are used with “reckless abandon” every single opportunity they get regardless of teams.

Friendly fire only serves to ruin gameplay and spoil fun and promote trolls and scumbag players.

That being said everyone has hated it since it was in place, no point moaning about it. As if the developers will ever do anything about it.

The fix is simple, but 343 is just as lazy as Bungie. 1st betrayl forgive (accidents happen) Second, give the victim the option. 3rd, AUTOMATIC boot and 10 minute ban. Because if you betray 3 times in one game you are either an idiot or you are pathetic.

> > If halo 4 has friendly fire on I will not be buying the game.
>
> Don’t lie to yourself you know you’ll buy it either way.

True. I’m very skeptical about buying it but I know I’ll end up buying it anyway.

1 betrayal isn’t enough, on its own, to prompt your teammate to boot you.

Every player has a value that tracks the damage they’ve done to their teammates, and the system that governs that value takes into account many things. The value has a threshold, and if you commit a betrayal that pushes you over the threshold or if you are over the threshold and commit a betrayal your teammate will be prompted to boot you. The value is in a constant state of degradation but it decays slowly and carries over between games. This is done to ensure that a problematic player doesn’t have their slate wiped clean and regain the ability to commit excessive flagrant actions against their allies every time they load into a game. A player may have two or three betrayals in a game and not get booted, but when that’s the case there is a good chance a teammate in the next game will be prompted to boot them on their first betrayal in that new game.

MMST
LW

> This argument has appeared frequently in the forum. If betrayals were impossible then grenades, rockets etc would be used with reckless abandon. Forces you to watch for your teamates. It is annoying and I recommend you search the forum for similar topics, others may give better explanations.

Sadly, these arguments they present are actually pretty worthless, but still they are called true. Friendly Fire has no place in Social playlists, since they’re for fun casual games.
Friendly Fire does serve a purpose in Arena or Ranked playlists, since you should be punished for each little mistake when you play ranked.

Isn’t it strange that no other game then Halo, alive and well these days on xbox, has friendly fire in social playlists?
That all others use that setting only for ranked/hardcore?
That rocket abuse or grnade abuse is no worse in those games then it is in Halo, we all know Reach is famour for it’s “grenade spam”…?
Like battlefield, Homefront, Crysis or many others?
After all, sticking a teammate and have him “suicide rush” is a bad idea. The stickie goes of way to fast, and even if it was really slow, throwing it at the camping enemies is smarter.
Rockets, how often do you use rockets when teammates are around?
Seldom, rocket is used for multikill (several opponents) or vehicles, and in both cases a teammate caught in the middle is more likely to die anyhow. Removing friendly fire doesn’t give rockets more ammo or blast radius, they’re just as weak as usual.

They could always try it out, have a social slayer with friendly fire and one without, and they’ll soon see that there would be no abuse. Then again, having friendly fire enabled was supposed to make the game more competitive and make people play better, and we all know that failed.
All it did was allow people to behave worse then ever before, to destroy allied vehicles, suicide to boot allies, kill allies to get weapons or even get in the way to intentionally die to bot someone. Horrible, and serves no purpose in a social playlist, nuff said.

How in the world can you see that in theater if you got booted?? When you are booted you can’t got to theater mode or see stats…

> > This argument has appeared frequently in the forum. If betrayals were impossible then grenades, rockets etc would be used with reckless abandon. Forces you to watch for your teamates. It is annoying and I recommend you search the forum for similar topics, others may give better explanations.
>
> Sadly, these arguments they present are actually pretty worthless, but still they are called true. Friendly Fire has no place in Social playlists, since they’re for fun casual games.
> Friendly Fire does serve a purpose in Arena or Ranked playlists, since you should be punished for each little mistake when you play ranked.
>
> Isn’t it strange that no other game then Halo, alive and well these days on xbox, has friendly fire in social playlists?

You die in like 5 bullets in those games, making accidental betrays much easier, warranting it’s removal. With Halo, it takes a lot of effort to accidentally betray someone, aside from those banshee debris betrayals :wink:

> You die in like 5 bullets in those games, making accidental betrays much easier, warranting it’s removal. With Halo, it takes a lot of effort to accidentally betray someone, aside from those banshee debris betrayals :wink:

Truth to say, the main reason I want Friendly Fire to be taken out, is to stop all the grifing! Random “teammates” killing me for snipers. Random teammates destroying my vehicle. Random teammate punching away my shield so I get killed by opponents, over and over. In ranked, sure, friendly fire serves a purpose, but no tin social.

At least a few playlists without friendly fire, call them “fun slayer” or “casual slayer” if need be, but something to have a game where I at least know that my teamates won’t spend a bigger part of the game shooting me then the opponent, or walking right in front of the sniper/cannon etc. so they get killed (intentionally). Booting someone in Reach is hardly possible anyhow, since he an kill me many times, or just kill my shield and watch me die, over and over risk free :confused: