Betrayals in Grifball

Betrayals have always been a part of Halo, and in the wake of that, betrayals have been present in nearly every game type available in matchmaking lobbies. This includes Grifball, which was recently added to matchmaking rotation in Halo 5 as part of the Hammer Storm update. The community, myself included, has had a blast playing Grifball once again, and the addition of Spartan abilities makes it (in my opinion) the most fun rendition of the gametype we’ve seen yet. It’s a game of bone crushing. It’s a game of travesty. It’s a game of victory. It’s a game where butthurt kids turn on each other as if they’ve been deprived of food for a week and someone threw a sandwhich between them. This is where betrayals come in.

I personally have never seen a point to having betrayals in Grifball, and that applies to today’s Grifball as well. I understand that it helps weed out the -yoinks- that join just for “Tr0Ll1nG 4 tEh W1n!!1!!1” and killing all of their teammates, but this system seems to come as a double edged sword that just causes teams to turn on themselves over a couple accidents. The Grav Hammer is capable of doing a ton of collateral damage to teammates that, to many, may not appear so unintentional, causing people to kill their teammates for the ball as “revenge”.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been stalked by my teammates during a game as they try to kill me repeatedly just because they ended up in my vicinity while I was killing someone on the other time. I’m certain that many people can relate.

Now I’m no game designer, so please take what I’m saying with a HEAPING grain of salt. I just wanted to open this up for a nice, friendly discussion about the betrayal system in Grifball. Should betrayals be in the game type? How can the booting system improve? Should it be altered? Or is this currently the best system in place despite its consequences?

Personally, I’m frustrated about how the system institutes a level of butthurtedness to the game, but it seems to be a HIGHLY necessary evil since the system does help boot out all the -Yoinks!-. And besides, it’s just a game at the end of the day, and it’s not like every game goes wrong or anything. At the same time, however, I feel as though getting rid of betrayals entirely from Grifball would remove any incentive to mess with teammates and troll in the first place.

tl;dr - Should betrayals still be in Grifball or not? Should the booting system be altered, or are betrayals necessary to keep out trolls and quitters? Keep it friendly, just a discussion. I’m not accusing 343 of “ruining Halo” or anything.

If you remove friendly fire from Grifball, you will break the gametype. People will be able to launch their carrier with no repercussions, you won’t be able to betray to get back on defense, etc.

It’s a necessary evil in Grifball.

> 2533274796457055;2:
> If you remove friendly fire from Grifball, you will break the gametype. People will be able to launch their carrier with no repercussions, you won’t be able to betray to get back on defense, etc.
>
> It’s a necessary evil in Grifball.

Exactly what I was about to say. In addition to this, with friendly fire on, you are encouraged to be more aware of your teammates and thus communicate with them.

Just turn friendly fire off in grifball. Whats the negative impact on that… Nothing let the ball be thrown out of their hands if launching is the case. Im banned because of Grifball. Done playing that mode.