Best Halo 5 Plotline

So many people weren’t satisfied with Halo 5’s story! If you have a better idea for what the story should have been, let’s hear it! As a community, we can definitely come up with several better options for what should have happened to Chief.

Like each story you think was better than 343i so we can see which story the community thinks is best!

The one shown in the games adverts.

• Chief questioning his place in the galaxy - Chief questioning his allegiances - A proper Hunt - Arbiter being of importance - Blue team not being a cameo - Osiris being fleshed out more

Have Diadact and Mendicant Bias as a third faction fighting Cortana and Warden for control of the Guardians. Blue, Osiris, and a team of loyal AIs (Roland, Iona, BB, lead by Exuberant), should’ve allied with the Arbiter to take control of a Halo array. Why? I don’t know.

1. Having an real actual hunt.
  2. Locke being the antagonist
  3. Chief actually doing something bad that gets him labelled a traitor.
  4. Have the guardians shown as a bigger threat.
  5. This is tricky, but ditch blue team and just have Chief going solo with Osiris hunting him down. Or even remove osiris too and make it Locke VS Chief.
  6. Have the Arbiter play a real role and not be a cameo at best.
  7. Not involve Cortana in any way other than Chief coping and coming to terms with her death.
  8. Replace Cortana’s role with that of mendicant bias.
  9. Use the plot point of Chief awakening the guardians to fight an incoming threat to the galaxy cough Flood cough. This is what would also make him the traitor, since he’s awakening the guardians.
  10. If blue team would be involved, have them actually play a part in the plot rather than just stand around and be useful throughout the story.

The ideas are all there, the problem is their execution. Halo 5 has a lot of cool ideas that just seem to be watered down, perhaps due to overthinking fan reaction to them.

Game does a bad job selling Cortana as anything more than just evil/insane.

> 2533274827982125;3:
> Have Diadact and Mendicant Bias as a third faction fighting Cortana and Warden for control of the Guardians. Blue, Osiris, and a team of loyal AIs (Roland, Iona, BB, lead by Exuberant), should’ve allied with the Arbiter to take control of a Halo array. Why? I don’t know.

Didact is way dead, after the whole halo thing.

I like the story

I like the story, it was just poorly told. And there wasn’t much foreshadowing for Cortana’s survival and eventual rebellion.

#Precursors, Flood, Janus Key, Iso-Didact & the Librarian are all in Halo 5’s story#

I would’ve written a story that reintroduces the Precursors and has them coming back into the Galaxy as the main antagonist.

It would’ve began with Chief hunting down Jul M’dama to rescue Halsey and recover the Janus key. Chief & Halsey return to the infinity with the complete Janus Key and Lasky orders the infinity to set course for the outer reaches of the Galaxy to locate one of the most intriguing remnants of lost forerunner tech.#

Long & short, this forerunner remnant is a trap set by the Precursors millions of years ago, left there as a beacon notifying them that a civilazation, equal to or more advanced than the forerunners, has taken control of the Milky Way. once the beacon is activated, the Precursors & Flood (note, the precursors come in their original form and we find out exactly how the Precursors created the flood and for what true purpose) immediately launch an all out invasion of the Milky Way from the Galaxy they have been rebuilding their forces in.

This forces the UNSC, Arbiter & remaining covenant forces to form an alliance (with hopes of creating a new Galaxy spanning government) in order to defend themselves against the Precursor Invasion.

During the invasion, the flood completely destroy all remaining Covenant factions except the small packet of Jiralhanae. The precursors understand the asset they have in the brutes, indoctrinate & stimulate their intellectual evolution, making them a terrifying new threat the UNSC must contend with.

During the invasion, Halsey continues to uncover the secrets held within the Janus Key and just as it appears all hope is lost with the Precursors, Flood & Brutes are taking control of the Galaxy, Halsey discovers a way to contact the Librarian & Iso Didiact (who are also in another Galaxy rebuilding their forces). The Iso Didact orders his entire fleet of promethians (actual forerunners) to immediately set course for Eryde-Tyrene (Earth).

The campaign ends as the Arbiters forces, 117, Lasky & Infinity prepare to defend, and if necessary, make their last stand on earth, but just as it appears all hope is lost, the Iso Didacts forces appear from slipspace. thousands of Forerunner dreadnoughts combined with UNSC ships form a picket around Earth and just as the first shots fire between the UNSC/Forerunner force against the incoming Precursor invasion, the screen goes black…

> 2533274865500640;6:
> > 2533274827982125;3:
> > Have Diadact and Mendicant Bias as a third faction fighting Cortana and Warden for control of the Guardians. Blue, Osiris, and a team of loyal AIs (Roland, Iona, BB, lead by Exuberant), should’ve allied with the Arbiter to take control of a Halo array. Why? I don’t know.
>
>
> Didact is way dead, after the whole halo thing.

Highly doubt it. Cortana was listed as “dead” until Halo 5 and Chief never says Diadact is actually dead. Instead he says “contained.” If he’s digital and the domain can “repair” AIs, I’m sure he’ll be back sooner or later.

> 2535441488042067;9:
> #Precursors, Flood, Janus Key, Iso-Didact & the Librarian are all in Halo 5’s story#
>
> I would’ve written a story that reintroduces the Precursors and has them coming back into the Galaxy as the main antagonist.
>
> It would’ve began with Chief hunting down Jul M’dama to rescue Halsey and recover the Janus key. Chief & Halsey return to the infinity with the complete Janus Key and Lasky orders the infinity to set course for the outer reaches of the Galaxy to locate one of the most intriguing remnants of lost forerunner tech.#
>
> Long & short, this forerunner remnant is a trap set by the Precursors millions of years ago, left there as a beacon notifying them that a civilazation, equal to or more advanced than the forerunners, has taken control of the Milky Way. once the beacon is activated, the Precursors & Flood (note, the precursors come in their original form and we find out exactly how the Precursors created the flood and for what true purpose) immediately launch an all out invasion of the Milky Way from the Galaxy they have been rebuilding their forces in.
>
> This forces the UNSC, Arbiter & remaining covenant forces to form an alliance (with hopes of creating a new Galaxy spanning government) in order to defend themselves against the Precursor Invasion.
>
> During the invasion, the flood completely destroy all remaining Covenant factions except the small packet of Jiralhanae. The precursors understand the asset they have in the brutes, indoctrinate & stimulate their intellectual evolution, making them a terrifying new threat the UNSC must contend with.
>
> During the invasion, Halsey continues to uncover the secrets held within the Janus Key and just as it appears all hope is lost with the Precursors, Flood & Brutes are taking control of the Galaxy, Halsey discovers a way to contact the Librarian & Iso Didiact (who are also in another Galaxy rebuilding their forces). The Iso Didact orders his entire fleet of promethians (actual forerunners) to immediately set course for Eryde-Tyrene (Earth).
>
> The campaign ends as the Arbiters forces, 117, Lasky & Infinity prepare to defend, and if necessary, make their last stand on earth, but just as it appears all hope is lost, the Iso Didacts forces appear from slipspace. thousands of Forerunner dreadnoughts combined with UNSC ships form a picket around Earth and just as the first shots fire between the UNSC/Forerunner force against the incoming Precursor invasion, the screen goes black…

I liked where that started, but then the rest of it sounds like ytou setting up the very last Halo game.
If Mass Effect 3 tought writers anything, its not to blow your lode and change/destroy the entire galaxy too soon.

> 2533274865500640;6:
> > 2533274827982125;3:
> > Have Diadact and Mendicant Bias as a third faction fighting Cortana and Warden for control of the Guardians. Blue, Osiris, and a team of loyal AIs (Roland, Iona, BB, lead by Exuberant), should’ve allied with the Arbiter to take control of a Halo array. Why? I don’t know.
>
>
> Didact is way dead, after the whole halo thing.

Nope. According to the Halo universe section here on waypoint he’s actually been composed and is currently in a digital essence.

> 2533274975398392;12:
> > 2533274865500640;6:
> > > 2533274827982125;3:
> > > Have Diadact and Mendicant Bias as a third faction fighting Cortana and Warden for control of the Guardians. Blue, Osiris, and a team of loyal AIs (Roland, Iona, BB, lead by Exuberant), should’ve allied with the Arbiter to take control of a Halo array. Why? I don’t know.
> >
> >
> > Didact is way dead, after the whole halo thing.
>
>
> Nope. According to the Halo universe section here on waypoint he’s actually been composed and is currently in a digital essence.

I thought the Librarian and Iso Didact are alive and well in another Galaxy??

> 2533274810945725;11:
> > 2535441488042067;9:
> > #Precursors, Flood, Janus Key, Iso-Didact & the Librarian are all in Halo 5’s story#
> >
> > I would’ve written a story that reintroduces the Precursors and has them coming back into the Galaxy as the main antagonist.
> >
> > It would’ve began with Chief hunting down Jul M’dama to rescue Halsey and recover the Janus key. Chief & Halsey return to the infinity with the complete Janus Key and Lasky orders the infinity to set course for the outer reaches of the Galaxy to locate one of the most intriguing remnants of lost forerunner tech.#
> >
> > Long & short, this forerunner remnant is a trap set by the Precursors millions of years ago, left there as a beacon notifying them that a civilazation, equal to or more advanced than the forerunners, has taken control of the Milky Way. once the beacon is activated, the Precursors & Flood (note, the precursors come in their original form and we find out exactly how the Precursors created the flood and for what true purpose) immediately launch an all out invasion of the Milky Way from the Galaxy they have been rebuilding their forces in.
> >
> > This forces the UNSC, Arbiter & remaining covenant forces to form an alliance (with hopes of creating a new Galaxy spanning government) in order to defend themselves against the Precursor Invasion.
> >
> > During the invasion, the flood completely destroy all remaining Covenant factions except the small packet of Jiralhanae. The precursors understand the asset they have in the brutes, indoctrinate & stimulate their intellectual evolution, making them a terrifying new threat the UNSC must contend with.
> >
> > During the invasion, Halsey continues to uncover the secrets held within the Janus Key and just as it appears all hope is lost with the Precursors, Flood & Brutes are taking control of the Galaxy, Halsey discovers a way to contact the Librarian & Iso Didiact (who are also in another Galaxy rebuilding their forces). The Iso Didact orders his entire fleet of promethians (actual forerunners) to immediately set course for Eryde-Tyrene (Earth).
> >
> > The campaign ends as the Arbiters forces, 117, Lasky & Infinity prepare to defend, and if necessary, make their last stand on earth, but just as it appears all hope is lost, the Iso Didacts forces appear from slipspace. thousands of Forerunner dreadnoughts combined with UNSC ships form a picket around Earth and just as the first shots fire between the UNSC/Forerunner force against the incoming Precursor invasion, the screen goes black…
>
>
> I liked where that started, but then the rest of it sounds like ytou setting up the very last Halo game.
> If Mass Effect 3 tought writers anything, its not to blow your lode and change/destroy the entire galaxy too soon.

:). You’re Totally right. I was just brainstorming while on the train before work this morning and thought the same thing to myself.

but if it was broken up into a series of 3 games… Maybe with the Iso-Didact’s return being the conclusion to the reclaimer saga… What do you think?

(the librarian & born stellar are compassionate towards humanity).

One thing is for certain, with the absolute WEALTH of resources Reed had at his disposal to create H5G’s story, I believe it’s a safe assessment to say he did the worst job imaginable (in terms of direction and who the antagonist will be). Horrible horrible job

> 2535441488042067;14:
> > 2533274810945725;11:
> > > 2535441488042067;9:
> > > #Precursors, Flood, Janus Key, Iso-Didact & the Librarian are all in Halo 5’s story#
> > >
> > > I would’ve written a story that reintroduces the Precursors and has them coming back into the Galaxy as the main antagonist.
> > >
> > > It would’ve began with Chief hunting down Jul M’dama to rescue Halsey and recover the Janus key. Chief & Halsey return to the infinity with the complete Janus Key and Lasky orders the infinity to set course for the outer reaches of the Galaxy to locate one of the most intriguing remnants of lost forerunner tech.#
> > >
> > > Long & short, this forerunner remnant is a trap set by the Precursors millions of years ago, left there as a beacon notifying them that a civilazation, equal to or more advanced than the forerunners, has taken control of the Milky Way. once the beacon is activated, the Precursors & Flood (note, the precursors come in their original form and we find out exactly how the Precursors created the flood and for what true purpose) immediately launch an all out invasion of the Milky Way from the Galaxy they have been rebuilding their forces in.
> > >
> > > This forces the UNSC, Arbiter & remaining covenant forces to form an alliance (with hopes of creating a new Galaxy spanning government) in order to defend themselves against the Precursor Invasion.
> > >
> > > During the invasion, the flood completely destroy all remaining Covenant factions except the small packet of Jiralhanae. The precursors understand the asset they have in the brutes, indoctrinate & stimulate their intellectual evolution, making them a terrifying new threat the UNSC must contend with.
> > >
> > > During the invasion, Halsey continues to uncover the secrets held within the Janus Key and just as it appears all hope is lost with the Precursors, Flood & Brutes are taking control of the Galaxy, Halsey discovers a way to contact the Librarian & Iso Didiact (who are also in another Galaxy rebuilding their forces). The Iso Didact orders his entire fleet of promethians (actual forerunners) to immediately set course for Eryde-Tyrene (Earth).
> > >
> > > The campaign ends as the Arbiters forces, 117, Lasky & Infinity prepare to defend, and if necessary, make their last stand on earth, but just as it appears all hope is lost, the Iso Didacts forces appear from slipspace. thousands of Forerunner dreadnoughts combined with UNSC ships form a picket around Earth and just as the first shots fire between the UNSC/Forerunner force against the incoming Precursor invasion, the screen goes black…
> >
> >
> > I liked where that started, but then the rest of it sounds like ytou setting up the very last Halo game.
> > If Mass Effect 3 tought writers anything, its not to blow your lode and change/destroy the entire galaxy too soon.
>
>
> :). You’re Totally right. I was just brainstorming while on the train before work this morning and thought the same thing to myself.
>
> but if it was broken up into a series of 3 games… Maybe with the Iso-Didact’s return being the conclusion to the reclaimer saga… What do you think?
>
> (the librarian & born stellar are compassionate towards humanity).

That’s more like it.
What I’d like to see is the return of the Forerunners and maybe the Ancient Humans within the Reclaimer Saga before we have the return of the Flood. From the gist of things, the Reclaimer Saga is all about people trying to assume the Mantle of Responsibility, the Didact in Halo 4, Cortana In Halo 5. Here’s what I think would be an interesting plan:
The Reclaimer Saga
Halo 4 - Chief awakens the Didact and he tries to assume the Mantle and enact revenge on the Humans.
Halo 5 - Cortana accesses the Domain and tries to assume the mantle, using the Guardians to do so.
Halo 6 - The UNSC fights back and terminates Cortana, not before she locally fires the Halo on a colony world. Castor, the Brutes and the San’Shyuum emerge as a new threat against the Humans and Sangheili.
Halo 7 - The firing of the Halo breaks the seal of a time lock containing Ancient Humans. They try to assume the mantle while assisting Humanity with the Castor threat, but soon come to resent and turn on the less evolved Humans.
Halo 8 - With the UNSC fighting against the Ancient Humans and Castor’s forces, Chief and Co set out to find the Iso-Didact and the Librarian. They bring them back and gain access to the Absolute Record and all the tech they could want to defeat both threats. In the final moments after the war is over, evidence is found of the imminent return of the Flood!
The Precursor Saga Starts…

> 2533274810945725;16:
> > 2535441488042067;14:
> > > 2533274810945725;11:
> > > > 2535441488042067;9:
> > > > #Precursors, Flood, Janus Key, Iso-Didact & the Librarian are all in Halo 5’s story#
> > > >
> > > > I would’ve written a story that reintroduces the Precursors and has them coming back into the Galaxy as the main antagonist.
> > > >
> > > > It would’ve began with Chief hunting down Jul M’dama to rescue Halsey and recover the Janus key. Chief & Halsey return to the infinity with the complete Janus Key and Lasky orders the infinity to set course for the outer reaches of the Galaxy to locate one of the most intriguing remnants of lost forerunner tech.#
> > > >
> > > > Long & short, this forerunner remnant is a trap set by the Precursors millions of years ago, left there as a beacon notifying them that a civilazation, equal to or more advanced than the forerunners, has taken control of the Milky Way. once the beacon is activated, the Precursors & Flood (note, the precursors come in their original form and we find out exactly how the Precursors created the flood and for what true purpose) immediately launch an all out invasion of the Milky Way from the Galaxy they have been rebuilding their forces in.
> > > >
> > > > This forces the UNSC, Arbiter & remaining covenant forces to form an alliance (with hopes of creating a new Galaxy spanning government) in order to defend themselves against the Precursor Invasion.
> > > >
> > > > During the invasion, the flood completely destroy all remaining Covenant factions except the small packet of Jiralhanae. The precursors understand the asset they have in the brutes, indoctrinate & stimulate their intellectual evolution, making them a terrifying new threat the UNSC must contend with.
> > > >
> > > > During the invasion, Halsey continues to uncover the secrets held within the Janus Key and just as it appears all hope is lost with the Precursors, Flood & Brutes are taking control of the Galaxy, Halsey discovers a way to contact the Librarian & Iso Didiact (who are also in another Galaxy rebuilding their forces). The Iso Didact orders his entire fleet of promethians (actual forerunners) to immediately set course for Eryde-Tyrene (Earth).
> > > >
> > > > The campaign ends as the Arbiters forces, 117, Lasky & Infinity prepare to defend, and if necessary, make their last stand on earth, but just as it appears all hope is lost, the Iso Didacts forces appear from slipspace. thousands of Forerunner dreadnoughts combined with UNSC ships form a picket around Earth and just as the first shots fire between the UNSC/Forerunner force against the incoming Precursor invasion, the screen goes black…
> > >
> > >
> > > I liked where that started, but then the rest of it sounds like ytou setting up the very last Halo game.
> > > If Mass Effect 3 tought writers anything, its not to blow your lode and change/destroy the entire galaxy too soon.
> >
> >
> > :). You’re Totally right. I was just brainstorming while on the train before work this morning and thought the same thing to myself.
> >
> > but if it was broken up into a series of 3 games… Maybe with the Iso-Didact’s return being the conclusion to the reclaimer saga… What do you think?
> >
> > (the librarian & born stellar are compassionate towards humanity).
>
>
> That’s more like it.
> What I’d like to see is the return of the Forerunners and maybe the Ancient Humans within the Reclaimer Saga before we have the return of the Flood. From the gist of things, the Reclaimer Saga is all about people trying to assume the Mantle of Responsibility, the Didact in Halo 4, Cortana In Halo 5. Here’s what I think would be an interesting plan:
> The Reclaimer Saga
> Halo 4 - Chief awakens the Didact and he tries to assume the Mantle and enact revenge on the Humans.
> Halo 5 - Cortana accesses the Domain and tries to assume the mantle, using the Guardians to do so.
> Halo 6 - The UNSC fights back and terminates Cortana, not before she locally fires the Halo on a colony world. Castor, the Brutes and the San’Shyuum emerge as a new threat against the Humans and Sangheili.
> Halo 7 - The firing of the Halo breaks the seal of a time lock containing Ancient Humans. They try to assume the mantle while assisting Humanity with the Castor threat, but soon come to resent and turn on the less evolved Humans.
> Halo 8 - With the UNSC fighting against the Ancient Humans and Castor’s forces, Chief and Co set out to find the Iso-Didact and the Librarian. They bring them back and gain access to the Absolute Record and all the tech they could want to defeat both threats. In the final moments after the war is over, evidence is found of the imminent return of the Flood!
> The Precursor Saga Starts…

I’m on board with this 100%! If only 343i paid more attention to these forums.

@OP

Simple, tell a simpler story focuses on Chief going on a mad quest to find his lost friend. Make it a genuine Galaxy spanning quest ad adventure where Cortana’s survival and villain good isn’t revealed. Where we genuinely think Chief has lost it but we want to see him suceed. Have him reconnect with former allies like Blue Team and the Arbiter who are concerned but have his back.

Reveal the threat of the Guardians later, have the Prometheans turning in the Storm Covenant be a major plot twist that occurs late game. Have Jul and his Storm Covenant be the primary enemy for most of te game with the Arbiter personally ending him.

The game ends much as Halo 5 does with Cortana revealed as a villain bet on galactic conquest. Chief has struggled and fought only to have Cortana turn her back on him. Arbiter rescues Chief. As her role and position is revealed so late there is less prominence played on her motives.

> 2535441488042067;17:
> > 2533274810945725;16:
> > > 2535441488042067;14:
> > > > 2533274810945725;11:
> > > > > 2535441488042067;9:
> > > > > #Precursors, Flood, Janus Key, Iso-Didact & the Librarian are all in Halo 5’s story#
> > > > >
> > > > > I would’ve written a story that reintroduces the Precursors and has them coming back into the Galaxy as the main antagonist.
> > > > >
> > > > > It would’ve began with Chief hunting down Jul M’dama to rescue Halsey and recover the Janus key. Chief & Halsey return to the infinity with the complete Janus Key and Lasky orders the infinity to set course for the outer reaches of the Galaxy to locate one of the most intriguing remnants of lost forerunner tech.#
> > > > >
> > > > > Long & short, this forerunner remnant is a trap set by the Precursors millions of years ago, left there as a beacon notifying them that a civilazation, equal to or more advanced than the forerunners, has taken control of the Milky Way. once the beacon is activated, the Precursors & Flood (note, the precursors come in their original form and we find out exactly how the Precursors created the flood and for what true purpose) immediately launch an all out invasion of the Milky Way from the Galaxy they have been rebuilding their forces in.
> > > > >
> > > > > This forces the UNSC, Arbiter & remaining covenant forces to form an alliance (with hopes of creating a new Galaxy spanning government) in order to defend themselves against the Precursor Invasion.
> > > > >
> > > > > During the invasion, the flood completely destroy all remaining Covenant factions except the small packet of Jiralhanae. The precursors understand the asset they have in the brutes, indoctrinate & stimulate their intellectual evolution, making them a terrifying new threat the UNSC must contend with.
> > > > >
> > > > > During the invasion, Halsey continues to uncover the secrets held within the Janus Key and just as it appears all hope is lost with the Precursors, Flood & Brutes are taking control of the Galaxy, Halsey discovers a way to contact the Librarian & Iso Didiact (who are also in another Galaxy rebuilding their forces). The Iso Didact orders his entire fleet of promethians (actual forerunners) to immediately set course for Eryde-Tyrene (Earth).
> > > > >
> > > > > The campaign ends as the Arbiters forces, 117, Lasky & Infinity prepare to defend, and if necessary, make their last stand on earth, but just as it appears all hope is lost, the Iso Didacts forces appear from slipspace. thousands of Forerunner dreadnoughts combined with UNSC ships form a picket around Earth and just as the first shots fire between the UNSC/Forerunner force against the incoming Precursor invasion, the screen goes black…
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I liked where that started, but then the rest of it sounds like ytou setting up the very last Halo game.
> > > > If Mass Effect 3 tought writers anything, its not to blow your lode and change/destroy the entire galaxy too soon.
> > >
> > >
> > > :). You’re Totally right. I was just brainstorming while on the train before work this morning and thought the same thing to myself.
> > >
> > > but if it was broken up into a series of 3 games… Maybe with the Iso-Didact’s return being the conclusion to the reclaimer saga… What do you think?
> > >
> > > (the librarian & born stellar are compassionate towards humanity).
> >
> >
> > That’s more like it.
> > What I’d like to see is the return of the Forerunners and maybe the Ancient Humans within the Reclaimer Saga before we have the return of the Flood. From the gist of things, the Reclaimer Saga is all about people trying to assume the Mantle of Responsibility, the Didact in Halo 4, Cortana In Halo 5. Here’s what I think would be an interesting plan:
> > The Reclaimer Saga
> > Halo 4 - Chief awakens the Didact and he tries to assume the Mantle and enact revenge on the Humans.
> > Halo 5 - Cortana accesses the Domain and tries to assume the mantle, using the Guardians to do so.
> > Halo 6 - The UNSC fights back and terminates Cortana, not before she locally fires the Halo on a colony world. Castor, the Brutes and the San’Shyuum emerge as a new threat against the Humans and Sangheili.
> > Halo 7 - The firing of the Halo breaks the seal of a time lock containing Ancient Humans. They try to assume the mantle while assisting Humanity with the Castor threat, but soon come to resent and turn on the less evolved Humans.
> > Halo 8 - With the UNSC fighting against the Ancient Humans and Castor’s forces, Chief and Co set out to find the Iso-Didact and the Librarian. They bring them back and gain access to the Absolute Record and all the tech they could want to defeat both threats. In the final moments after the war is over, evidence is found of the imminent return of the Flood!
> > The Precursor Saga Starts…
>
>
> I’m on board with this 100%! If only 343i paid more attention to these forums.

• I like how you have structured Halo 6 & beyond within the framework set by Halo 5’s story. I’m especially partial to re-introducing the ancient human’s as an eventual threat and capping the reclaimer saga off with the return of the Iso-Didact & Librarian. This would be an ideal way to retire S117 from the series and a great segue into the next chapter of the Halo universe with the precursors and flood emerging as the new threat.

Who would be the successor to the MC as the series protagonist?

No I think the Created and the threat they pose is going to be a long term conflict to form the backdrop of future games similar to how the human-covenant war back grounded the events of the first trilogy. I think, ultimately, in the long run they will end up in a similar place as the Geth; eventually becoming allies with organic life against a greater threat; almost certainly the flood.

I also really don’t see them killing off Cortana on a whim. They’ve obviously decided to use her bond with the Chief as a (if not the) central component of the story and narrative. Halo 4 and Halo 5 made this pretty explicit. So its going to at least last as long as the Reclaimer saga and resolving her story will I think come with resolving the Chiefs as the two go hand in hand.

Also, since the Flood and the Precursors are testing humanity to claim the Mantle I don’t think there will be a separate Precursor saga. That will probably form the “third act” of the Reclaimer saga. The Precursors, god like Xel Naga beings will probably be the last piece of the puzzle introduced as they are so OTT.