Battle Rifles and why there not in Reach/CE ...

I always wondered why we didn’t get a BR until Halo 2… better yet we got a halo Reach Dmr why didn’t Reach have some sort of early Battle rifle? Is there a lore explanation as to why we didn’t get a burst fire human weapon until H2? Its not like they just invented the concept of a BR during Halo 2… right?

The lore explanation for why the BR wasn’t in CE was that it wasn’t included in the POA’s inventory. Since that was the only human ship during that conflict, the BR wasn’t part of it. The POA was intended to deploy Spartans for Operation Red Flag, which involved boarding and hijacking a Covenant ship, and kidnap a prophet. So the weapon loadout for the POA mostly included short/mid-range weapons like the pistol, AR, and shotgun that would be useful in tight spaces. The sniper rifle and rocket launcher kinda stand out, but I’m sure a boarding party could find uses for those in the massive ships of the Covenant.

The simplest explanation is that the arms available at the time were more spread out during the Human-Covenant War because everyone needs a rifle. Post war selections are generally wider and offer more options for ones tastes since humanity is no longer on the verge of total extinction.

To my recollection also the DMR was favoured by the UNSC Army (hence Reach DMR over BR) and the BR55 that we see in Halo 2/3 only saw use late in the War for numerous reasons. It stands to reason that the Master Chief has previously used all of these weapons beforehand but that the weapon selections he had were limited during the war and he essentially took what he could get.

Post War manufacturing is on the rise in addition to the Spartan IV program.

Basically its a matter of what they have at the time.

That and trying to explain why we dont see something prior is hard to do when the weapon is introduced later on.

The DMR (Reach) started service in 2512, a whole 40 years before the events of Reach. Its to be expected that this weapon just existed and the Master Chief flat out never found one during the original trilogy or that he did and the games content is moreso a suggestion in lore than a set in stone reality.

Im not sure.

> 2535465841210047;3:
> The DMR (Reach) started service in 2512, a whole 40 years before the events of Reach. Its to be expected that this weapon just existed and the Master Chief flat out never found one during the original trilogy or that he did and the games content is moreso a suggestion in lore than a set in stone reality.
>
> Im not sure.

Its really best to just chock it up to being a video game.

Halo 2 doesn’t have the assault rifle. Most games don’t have all the little variations that appeared in others.

Yes, like UrbanRocket495 said. Game specific weapons, no more, no less. No need to bend over backwards to find justification to why the Br was absent in CE.

> 2535420172144544;5:
> Yes, like UrbanRocket495 said. Game specific weapons, no more, no less. No need to bend over backwards to find justification to why the Br was absent in CE.

There is nothing wrong in finding justification for something like that. I think some people just like having a reason that fits better in the lore.

> 2535462294431567;6:
> > 2535420172144544;5:
> > Yes, like UrbanRocket495 said. Game specific weapons, no more, no less. No need to bend over backwards to find justification to why the Br was absent in CE.
>
> There is nothing wrong in finding justification for something like that. I think some people just like having a reason that fits better in the lore.

There is none, PoA reasonable should have the Br, Dmr, flash grenades, and other stuff. Bungie didn’t think that far ahead because they didn’t even want extended lore. All that’s seen in Ce was a specific gun for a specific purpose, with different uses. It the same reason I don’t question why the Ar is absent when it reasonably should be there since Lord Hood is present and you want all your weapons to keep him safe in case of a firefight. It earth, every conceivable weapon should be there in abundance. Also why I don’t question the useless magnum fall from grace to its OPness in Ce.

Gameplay reasons, no lore is needed to justify their absence and there shouldn’t be that is all.

Gameplay with for CE, they didnt have the idea thought up yet and for Reach it was replaced with the DMR. Lore wise, PoA was meant for RED FLAG which requires more cqc weapons (AR, Magnum, Shotgun etc) rather than longer range (BR, DMR). As for Reach, the Army might not have carried BRs bc they favored the DMRs more.

Speculative Lore-based answer: The BR and DMR certainly existed in the universe at the time of Halo CE (as described in the novel Contact Harvest and playable in Reach.) So the most basic answer is that the BR and DMR were simply not available for the Chief to use on the Halo.

I don’t really like the explanation that the guns were intentionally omitted from the POA’s inventory. If the whole Spartan 2 force was on the POA, ready to go behind enemy lines for an extended period of time, you would think that virtually any weapon in the UNSC’s arsenal would have been made available for them to use. Real special forces units typically have more access to weaponry compared to regular units.

So for my head canon, I think the weapons were definitely on board, but became unavailable in the escape from Reach or once POA was boarded by the Covenant and/or crashed on the Halo. This could have happened in a number of plausible ways: The bulk of these weapons could have been sent with the Spartan 2s that went to defend Reach and used or lost along the way. The weapons could have stayed on the POA, but then captured/destroyed/lost in the beginning events of Halo CE. Every weapon that chief touches on the Halo would have been scavenged from a crash or lifeboat. Also keep in minde the BR and DMR use special ammunition compared to the AR. Ammo shortage is another reason why they weren’t available.

We all know the real reason was because its “just a videogame” and Bungie hadn’t come up with the ideas yet. Its still fun to speculate though.

Yeah, most simple reason is, they just weren’t thought up yet. Of course, as such, they may still exist in the general Halo universe, you just never see them in those games.

The excuse I heard (reason/lore wise) was that the BR was a more “advanced” version of a DMR style weapon. i.e. single fire marksman weapon to a burst fire combat rifle. Or, they could have always been around the universe, but just was not seeing by the characters at any time. Whether due to logistics issues or mission requirements, the weapon availability is inconsistent.

Game development wise, creating a new weapon and play style is fun for diverse games. So the games don’t feel the same over and over again, they’ll add something new to the mix.

Lore. Bad writing. A combination of the two. Kappa