Battle Rifle too powerful?

Anyone noticed that it is the most commonly used weapon during matchmaking? It’s too powerful for a loadout weapon and especially when the entire enemy team uses them. I don’t know about you guys but I thought the whole idea about loadouts ad balancing weapons was to create a game that varies with each player on the battlefield. But all I see is BR’s and Boltshots. Neither of those weapons require any real skill to use and they can kill too easily. Anyone else noticed that when a ‘clan’ or a ‘skilled’ player plays they almost always have the BR Boltshot combo. It kills the game and ruins the variation. I’m fine when people use them but I’m tired of seeing the same pattern in almost every game.

Anyone else think the BR should be toned down a little, just to try and increase the variation in the matches?

> Anyone noticed that it is the most commonly used weapon during matchmaking? It’s too powerful for a loadout weapon and especially when the entire enemy team uses them. I don’t know about you guys but I thought the whole idea about loadouts ad balancing weapons was to create a game that varies with each player on the battlefield. But all I see is BR’s and Boltshots. Neither of those weapons require any real skill to use and they can kill too easily. Anyone else noticed that when a ‘clan’ or a ‘skilled’ player plays they almost always have the BR Boltshot combo. It kills the game and ruins the variation. I’m fine when people use them but I’m tired of seeing the same pattern in almost every game.
>
> Anyone else think the BR should be toned down a little, just to try and increase the variation in the matches?

Personally, I think that the four-shot kill should be a kill only if all 12 bullets impact the target. That allows for Carbine users, a weapon that, IMO, takes more skill to aim, to kill BR-users. I personally feel like that would be a step in the right direction. I don’t know how it would affect other weapons, though…

At close range the automatic rifles will compete if not beat a BR with ease. However many people stray away from the automatics because they are a limiting weapon. They are also considered to be the go to “noob” weapon and who wants to be labeled a “noob”. Whether I agree with that or not is for another topic.

At long range the BR loses out to the DMR and Light Rifle. Should you go into BTB you will see plenty of DMR and LR action due to the longer sight lines. However at close range they are no competition for the BR hence why see little use in games with smaller player counts.

The Carbine has a very similar kill time (0.03 difference I believe) and will beat a BR at long range due to a lack of spread. Arguably it is just as good as the BR however what it makes up for in range, it lacks in ammo. With 12 shots, the BR has the capability of taking out 3 fully shielded opponents assuming all shots hit. The Carbine can only kill a maximum of 2 fully shielded opponents in one mag. Hence why I think the BR is the better option despite being equally powerful. It comes down to preference and the sheep effect.

In summary, custom loadouts are just an illusion and the BR is not overpowered. In a game where one weapon is superior to the other, people will use the superior weapon. The ability to use other weapons are there but you will be at a massive disadvantage and may end up using the superior weapon in order to compete with the lobbey. Any loadout based shooter is a prime example. e.g. the BR in Halo 4. Ever wonder why you only ever see the same 4-5 weapons used in CoD despite there being hundreds to chose from.

Others have suggested making it a 12sk as opposed to the current 11sk which I could agree on. A 4 shot kill isn’t that hard in Halo 4. But at this point in the game’s cycle, it would be a waste of time.

Personally, I’d like to see the DMR get a bump in power on par with the BR.

Make them both 4 shot kill weapons.

Just limit the DMR’s ROF which would handicap its close quarters usefulness.

Then at a distance the BR’s spread would reduce its output damage.

I think it kills a bit too fast…

It is a really effective weapon to use and combined with nostalgia and/or being a favorite you going to see it used, but I only see a lot usage within 4v4 maps . But if you are good enough you generally can use the AR,CC, DMR, LR , etc well enough as well but it is not as easy . Personally I think it should get a small rof nerf , but thats about it.

> In summary, custom loadouts are just an illusion and the BR is not overpowered. In a game where one weapon is superior to the other, people will use the superior weapon. The ability to use other weapons are there but you will be at a massive disadvantage and may end up using the superior weapon in order to compete with the lobbey. Any loadout based shooter is a prime example. e.g. the BR in Halo 4. Ever wonder why you only ever see the same 4-5 weapons used in CoD despite there being hundreds to chose from.

It isn’t anymore different then halo 3 and halo reach were the BR/DMR was vastly more effective than the other weapons that weren’t power weapons. Unless your aren’t implying loadouts in itself are the cause of weapon imbalance then nevermind.

I will openly admit to the BR being my go-to for mid-long range battles, but only because i really struggle with the DMR, sniper, etc. i’m decent with an LR, but still prefer the BR. However, if we move towards mid-close range you’ll see that my weapon choice changes drastically because I prefer the suppressor. Also in Big Team I prefer to go with the carbine loadout simply because I prefer to play vehicle-based gametypes with my trusty PP by my side. I rarely play 4v4 gametypes but even if I did, regardless of whether my opponents went strictly with BRs or not, I’d still go with my suppressor because it matches my playing style

> > In summary, custom loadouts are just an illusion and the BR is not overpowered. In a game where one weapon is superior to the other, people will use the superior weapon. The ability to use other weapons are there but you will be at a massive disadvantage and may end up using the superior weapon in order to compete with the lobbey. Any loadout based shooter is a prime example. e.g. the BR in Halo 4. Ever wonder why you only ever see the same 4-5 weapons used in CoD despite there being hundreds to chose from.
>
> It isn’t anymore different then halo 3 and halo reach were the BR/DMR was vastly more effective than the other weapons that weren’t power weapons. Unless your aren’t implying loadouts in itself are the cause of weapon imbalance

Back then it was equal starts. There were not loadouts apart from preset loadouts in Reach when the only difference was the AA (again the best AA was picked). With equal starts I don’t feel like I had to use the BR or the Jet Pack in order to compete.

The Battle Rifle is the designated mid-range weapon. Most engagements take place at mid-range. Therefore, players will use the Battle Rifle most of the time.

> > > In summary, custom loadouts are just an illusion and the BR is not overpowered. In a game where one weapon is superior to the other, people will use the superior weapon. The ability to use other weapons are there but you will be at a massive disadvantage and may end up using the superior weapon in order to compete with the lobbey. Any loadout based shooter is a prime example. e.g. the BR in Halo 4. Ever wonder why you only ever see the same 4-5 weapons used in CoD despite there being hundreds to chose from.
> >
> > It isn’t anymore different then halo 3 and halo reach were the BR/DMR was vastly more effective than the other weapons that weren’t power weapons. Unless your aren’t implying loadouts in itself are the cause of weapon imbalance
>
> Back then it was equal starts. There were not loadouts apart from preset loadouts in Reach when the only difference was the AA (again the best AA was picked). With equal starts I don’t feel like I had to use the BR or the Jet Pack in order to compete.

No I am saying it it isn’t different because everyone will get or just use the superior weapon in Ar starts you will see players get the BRs and generally they will do much better than the players that didn’t have it , so Bungie added in BR starts down the road. Since everyone spawned with one you don’t feel the need to compete, but if I were you use another weapon besides the BR there would be a massive disadvantage. The BR/DMR was more useful and more effective than most none power weapons, as most players probably seen, most people used just those weapons so the logic still applies with Halo 3 and Reach ; players use the superior weapon.
I’m pretty sure 343 said one of the reasons sprint was made default was because it was the most used AA. I really never felt the need to use jet pack and as seen in my stats I generally did fairly well.

This seems like what people were saying about the DMR before the TU…

A competent Carbine user can still kill a competent BR user…both are meant for close to mid distance. Now each person wielding what ever weapon has an easier time killing the other…and at the same time a more difficult time. It boils down to the player not so much the weapon…even in the gaming world…most the time anyway.

What I have noticed while using BR is that it is too easy to aim. It is slightly easier to use than other weapons, imo.

BR is OP, its a mid range weapon, 4 shot kill time and no ploom. Making it the best all around weapon.

I hardly see other weapons used anymore. Why weapons can’t be balanced better is beyond me.

No its fine. This is what loadouts do to a game, everyone whines about a gun being too powerful. If the game had equal starts like it is supposed to none of this would be happening.

> The Battle Rifle is the designated mid-range weapon. Most engagements take place at mid-range. Therefore, players will use the Battle Rifle most of the time.

this.

it seems most folks who have an issue with br users are the ones who are using a dmr in close range. op i see your most used weapon is the dmr. the trick is each weapon has its own niche. complaining that the br is beating the dmr at close range is akin to complaining the shotgun is losing to the sniper rifle at long range. as a dmr user you need to stay a bit further away to win most engagements.

each primary weapon is perfectly balanced imo. the thought of making the dmr a 4 shot kill as someone suggested is insane as it was already op and the only gun used prior to the update. theres no need to change anything now that it is well balanced.

stay in your weapons effective and intended range and your issue is solved.

> > Anyone noticed that it is the most commonly used weapon during matchmaking? It’s too powerful for a loadout weapon and especially when the entire enemy team uses them. I don’t know about you guys but I thought the whole idea about loadouts ad balancing weapons was to create a game that varies with each player on the battlefield. But all I see is BR’s and Boltshots. Neither of those weapons require any real skill to use and they can kill too easily. Anyone else noticed that when a ‘clan’ or a ‘skilled’ player plays they almost always have the BR Boltshot combo. It kills the game and ruins the variation. I’m fine when people use them but I’m tired of seeing the same pattern in almost every game.
> >
> > Anyone else think the BR should be toned down a little, just to try and increase the variation in the matches?
>
> Personally, I think that the four-shot kill should be a kill only if all 12 bullets impact the target.

I believe 343i chose to implement the 11sk rather than the 12sk to compensate for lag issues. And if you ask me, I think it’s really sad that 343i has to design the sandbox with lag in mind.

However, with dedicated servers, that will change.

> That allows for Carbine users, a weapon that, IMO, takes more skill to aim, to kill BR-users. I personally feel like that would be a step in the right direction. I don’t know how it would affect other weapons, though…

I have zero trouble taking down BR’s with the Carbine as it’s extremely easy to out-strafe a BR with a Carbine. Not to mention the fact that the BR has recoil while the Carbine has none.

> This seems like what people were saying about the DMR before the TU…

Before the TU the DMR was overpowered, no question. It had the fastest kill time (for precision rifles) a 3x scope, longest red reticule range and pin point accuracy at any range. The bloom it has was basically canceled out by bullet magnetism.

Compare this to the TU BR.

The BR has the second fastest kill time, 2x scope, recoil and random spread that may cause shots to miss at long range.

See the difference?

The BR is popular because it is flexible. You may be a slight disadvantage in long and short range, but it does those ranges reasonably well, so it’s still possible to win. Unlike the AR which has zero chance at long range or a LR in CQC against an AR, which has poor chances of coming out on top.

> The Battle Rifle is the designated mid-range weapon. Most engagements take place at mid-range. Therefore, players will use the Battle Rifle most of the time.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that point at all. The point of this thread is asking us or in this case 343, if the Battle Rifle is too powerful.

The painfully obvious answer is yes and this is also another reason why people use it.

The minimum killtime for the BR is 1.37 seconds. The minimum killtime for the DMR is 1.53 seconds.

That’s right, you’re giving up the ability to kill people from across the map for 0.16’s of a second faster killtime.

#NERFtheBR