Battle Rifle seems too powerful in CQC

Okay, I know there are probably a lot of threads talking about the Battle Rifle vs other precision loadout weps. While this may or may not be true, I’m here to discuss what really bugs me about the Battle Rifle.

Okay, so I’m just a regular gamer, I’m not a casual, but I’m not hardcore/MLG either. I play games to have fun, and winning is just an added bonus. Something that I’m having a very hard time coping with in this game (I got it for Christmas 2013, so post weapon balancing title update, meaning that I don’t know how weapons handled prior to the TU) is the fact that a weapon intended for accuracy at mid/short range can easily best an Assault Rifle, Suppressor, Storm Rifle, and sometimes even a SAW. (Very rarely with that last one) in very short range.

Could someone be kind enough to tell me why it makes sense for a semi-automatic, accuracy dependent, burst firing weapon to beat something that is fully automatic? If you can come up with a reasonable explanation as to how that’s fair/balanced I would love to hear it.

I didn’t read what you said but I will say ever since that TU I stop playing Halo 4 MM a lot. Because OP BR, AR, and SAW for every match. Like all I see now in the OD is SAW on every map which is boring and not fun to play. The TU should be in certain playlist like Halo Reach.

I really hope on the Xbox One Halo games that they stop with this TU and just come out with a beta before the game comes out.

If you’re mad about the BR now, you would have been, for a lack of a better word, be Yoinking! bricks when you played with the DMR before the TU. The DMR used to be the weapon of choice for everything - close combat, medium combat, long range combat.

The summer TU finally brought weapons to their right niche and made most weapons balanced. The BR and Carbine were finally made into good midrange weapons, the DMR and Lightrifle into longrange weapons, while the AR, stormrifle, and suppressor were made more powerful for close quarter combat.

Since you’re a new Halo player you still don’t understand the mechanics, and I see that you’re infuriated, but the BR does its job right. If you played Halo 2 and 3, the BR could/can still kill you in close range scenarios if you have an AR. It all depends on how you strafe and use the AR when dealing with a BR user. If you run in a straight line towards him/her, you’re pretty much giving an easy kill with him/her just pulling the trigger 4 times to your head.

In my opinion, you’re frustrated since you haven’t developed the skills yet or haven’t learned how to face BR users. I can deal with many BR users with the AR and Stormrifle, and in fact I get frustrated when the AR kills too easy at times in closerange.

Stop complaining.

> If you’re mad about the BR now, you would have been, for a lack of a better word, be Yoinking! bricks when you played with the DMR before the TU. The DMR used to be the weapon of choice for everything - close combat, medium combat, long range combat.
>
> The summer TU finally brought weapons to their right niche and made most weapons balanced. The BR and Carbine were finally made into good midrange weapons, the DMR and Lightrifle into longrange weapons, while the AR, stormrifle, and suppressor were made more powerful for close quarter combat.
>
> Since you’re a new Halo player you still don’t understand the mechanics, and I see that you’re infuriated, but the BR does its job right. If you played Halo 2 and 3, the BR could/can still kill you in close range scenarios if you have an AR. It all depends on how you strafe and use the AR when dealing with a BR user. If you run in a straight line towards him/her, you’re pretty much giving an easy kill with him/her just pulling the trigger 4 times to your head.
>
> In my opinion, you’re frustrated since you haven’t developed the skills yet or haven’t learned how to face BR users. I can deal with many BR users with the AR and Stormrifle, and in fact I get frustrated when the AR kills too easy at times in close-range.
>
> Stop complaining.

Why should we stop complaining that’s what most people use the forum for. Plus for your logic about the BR sucks bro. The BR has always been a OP weapon even in Halo 2&3. The fact that it shoots 3 powerful bullets shots at one time makes it OP. If the Carbine shots were powerful then you could compare the two. Plus all that BS about the storm Rifle and suppressor being powerful is a load of crap. Those 2 weapons are so underpowered that it make no sense for Halo. A weapon that shoots Plasma energy out and a weapon that shoots sun energy out is weaker then something that shoots bullets… WHAT! That make no sense at all.

Like this is why I have fear for Halo on the Xbox One. If 343 keep going down this route of making human weapons super powerful and making the other weak then there’s no point in playing Halo Multiplayer. I’ll just stay on COD and Battlefield if this is the route 343 is going to take.

> > Like this is why I have fear for Halo on the Xbox One. If 343 keep going down this route of making human weapons super powerful and making the other weak then there’s no point in playing Halo Multiplayer. I’ll just stay on COD and Battlefield if this is the route 343 is going to take.
>
> Did you even played the other Halos?
> Because alien weapons where extremly useless most of the time. A lot more useless than in H4. You also could only spawn with BR/AR and DMR only. 343 gives you now the option to choose youre weapon (most people hate this anyway because Halo is/was an arena shooter) and you are complaining about this?
>
> And plasma energy should do more damage then bullets because its more realistic? Do we really need to bring in realism into the Halo universe? Seriously?
>
> The BR is THE fan favourite weapon of all time. The carbine is not underpowered. He is just different. You want 10 weapons play the same but look different or what?
> 343 did so many things wrong but youre complaining about one of the things they did right. Bringing the BR back to Halo and its fans.
>
> I bet you are just trying to get commendations and doing bad.

> The BR has always been a OP weapon even in Halo 2&3. … If 343 keep going down this route of making human weapons super powerful and making the other weak then there’s no point in playing Halo Multiplayer. I’ll just stay on COD and Battlefield if this is the route 343 is going to take.

Sounds like you just don’t like Halo. Perhaps it would be better to just stay with CoD and BF.

> > If you’re mad about the BR now, you would have been, for a lack of a better word, be Yoinking! bricks when you played with the DMR before the TU. The DMR used to be the weapon of choice for everything - close combat, medium combat, long range combat.
> >
> > The summer TU finally brought weapons to their right niche and made most weapons balanced. The BR and Carbine were finally made into good midrange weapons, the DMR and Lightrifle into longrange weapons, while the AR, stormrifle, and suppressor were made more powerful for close quarter combat.
> >
> > Since you’re a new Halo player you still don’t understand the mechanics, and I see that you’re infuriated, but the BR does its job right. If you played Halo 2 and 3, the BR could/can still kill you in close range scenarios if you have an AR. It all depends on how you strafe and use the AR when dealing with a BR user. If you run in a straight line towards him/her, you’re pretty much giving an easy kill with him/her just pulling the trigger 4 times to your head.
> >
> > In my opinion, you’re frustrated since you haven’t developed the skills yet or haven’t learned how to face BR users. I can deal with many BR users with the AR and Stormrifle, and in fact I get frustrated when the AR kills too easy at times in close-range.
> >
> > Stop complaining.
>
> Why should we stop complaining that’s what most people use the forum for. Plus for your logic about the BR sucks bro. The BR has always been a OP weapon even in Halo 2&3. The fact that it shoots 3 powerful bullets shots at one time makes it OP. If the Carbine shots were powerful then you could compare the two. Plus all that BS about the storm Rifle and suppressor being powerful is a load of crap. Those 2 weapons are so underpowered that it make no sense for Halo. A weapon that shoots Plasma energy out and a weapon that shoots sun energy out is weaker then something that shoots bullets… WHAT! That make no sense at all.
>
> Like this is why I have fear for Halo on the Xbox One. If 343 keep going down this route of making human weapons super powerful and making the other weak then there’s no point in playing Halo Multiplayer. I’ll just stay on COD and Battlefield if this is the route 343 is going to take.

The TU change has saved Halo 4 because it brought much needed weapon balancing in the game. Is it perfect, absolutely not, but it has done much to fix the sandbox. Halo 3 in my opinion had a perfect weapon sandbox, with each weapon filling its unique playstyle (one of my favorite examples is the Plasma Rifle - a rapid shield tearing weapon for close combat. This wasn’t so in Halo 1 or 2).

With Halo 4 having Reach gameplay components, this is where certain weapons and mechanics are not balanced, even after the TU. If you’re thinking overpowered, talk about the DMR in Reach, and the 3-shot pistol in Halo 1.

Halo is not about realism, its about gameplay, and sadly, Reach and Halo 4 changed the formula so much which made many players leave the Halo series (including me). I don’t know where your hate is coming from, because it doesn’t make sense to me.

The fact that the ar can potentially kill u faster than a br 4, shot in any scenario, is stupid… Its very rare it happens to me, because any decent halo player knows not to use automatics. The rest can barely move their character forward. The br remains the most valuable weapon in the game because the traditional players would lose their minds if the ar became the better weapon. The ar is a joke and i would kill for the weapon to be dropped. All these skill-less power ups, armor abilities and weapons they’ve added alongside the ar have completely ruined this game. Every Player vs Player encounter involves one person handicapped to the other. The handicaps are so large that clutching a situation doesn’t exist anymore. There’s no longer an assessment of skill in the halo series…

> > > Like this is why I have fear for Halo on the Xbox One. If 343 keep going down this route of making human weapons super powerful and making the other weak then there’s no point in playing Halo Multiplayer. I’ll just stay on COD and Battlefield if this is the route 343 is going to take.
> >
> > Did you even played the other Halos?
> > Because alien weapons where extremly useless most of the time. A lot more useless than in H4. You also could only spawn with BR/AR and DMR only. 343 gives you now the option to choose youre weapon (most people hate this anyway because Halo is/was an arena shooter) and you are complaining about this?
> >
> > And plasma energy should do more damage then bullets because its more realistic? Do we really need to bring in realism into the Halo universe? Seriously?
> >
> > The BR is THE fan favourite weapon of all time. The carbine is not underpowered. He is just different. You want 10 weapons play the same but look different or what?
> > 343 did so many things wrong but youre complaining about one of the things they did right. Bringing the BR back to Halo and its fans.
> >
> > I bet you are just trying to get commendations and doing bad.
>
> 1. I don’t give a crap about the Commendations in Halo 4. Because its not worth the time to get some stupid armor that people cant see from far away. Now if you got a sweet new AA with sweet new armor and a skin for your personal loadout weapons and a achievement then I would care.
>
> 2. The BR is not a fan for every Halo player out there. The only reason why people like it is because its a strong weapon just like the Halo CE Magnum. Like I use to hate using it back in Halo 2 which is why I was so happy when the Carbine was powerful in the Halo 3 Beta but then when the game came out they change it because the BR fan club hate so much in the forums.
>
> 3. I have played ever Halo game to date. The Covenant weapons in the past were powerful in the right hands but as each Halo game came out Bungie/343 kept making them weaker and weaker to the point that people don’t really use them.
>
> Like in Halo CE the Plasma Rifle was meant for Med-range combat and the plasma weapons were different. Like the more you got hit the more your body was stun to the point it was hard for you to move. Then the needier was more like a heat seeking missiles and the Spartans was the heat.
>
> Now I could go on and on about the old Halo games but I have work in the morning so by. :slight_smile:

[/quote]
The TU change has saved Halo 4 because it brought much needed weapon balancing in the game. Is it perfect, absolutely not, but it has done much to fix the sandbox. Halo 3 in my opinion had a perfect weapon sandbox, with each weapon filling its unique playstyle (one of my favorite examples is the Plasma Rifle - a rapid shield tearing weapon for close combat. This wasn’t so in Halo 1 or 2).

With Halo 4 having Reach gameplay components, this is where certain weapons and mechanics are not balanced, even after the TU. If you’re thinking overpowered, talk about the DMR in Reach, and the 3-shot pistol in Halo 1.

Halo is not about realism, its about gameplay, and sadly, Reach and Halo 4 changed the formula so much which made many players leave the Halo series (including me). I don’t know where your hate is coming from, because it doesn’t make sense to me.
[/quote]
Now one of the main reasons why Halo 4 did so bad was because there was just to many things broken with the game and some things didn’t make since . If 343 would have just came out with a Beta before the game came out then the population would have stayed high.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Now one of the main reasons why Halo 4 did so bad was because there was just to many things broken with the game and some things didn’t make since . If 343 would have just came out with a Beta before the game came out then the population would have stayed high.
[/quote]

Edited by Moderator - Please do not flame/attack others.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> > > > Like this is why I have fear for Halo on the Xbox One. If 343 keep going down this route of making human weapons super powerful and making the other weak then there’s no point in playing Halo Multiplayer. I’ll just stay on COD and Battlefield if this is the route 343 is going to take.
> > >
> > > Did you even played the other Halos?
> > > Because alien weapons where extremly useless most of the time. A lot more useless than in H4. You also could only spawn with BR/AR and DMR only. 343 gives you now the option to choose youre weapon (most people hate this anyway because Halo is/was an arena shooter) and you are complaining about this?
> > >
> > > And plasma energy should do more damage then bullets because its more realistic? Do we really need to bring in realism into the Halo universe? Seriously?
> > >
> > > The BR is THE fan favourite weapon of all time. The carbine is not underpowered. He is just different. You want 10 weapons play the same but look different or what?
> > > 343 did so many things wrong but youre complaining about one of the things they did right. Bringing the BR back to Halo and its fans.
> > >
> > > I bet you are just trying to get commendations and doing bad.
> >
> > 1. I don’t give a crap about the Commendations in Halo 4. Because its not worth the time to get some stupid armor that people cant see from far away. Now if you got a sweet new AA with sweet new armor and a skin for your personal loadout weapons and a achievement then I would care.
> >
> > 2. The BR is not a fan for every Halo player out there. The only reason why people like it is because its a strong weapon just like the Halo CE Magnum. Like I use to hate using it back in Halo 2 which is why I was so happy when the Carbine was powerful in the Halo 3 Beta but then when the game came out they change it because the BR fan club hate so much in the forums.
> >
> > 3. I have played ever Halo game to date. The Covenant weapons in the past were powerful in the right hands but as each Halo game came out Bungie/343 kept making them weaker and weaker to the point that people don’t really use them.
> >
> > Like in Halo CE the Plasma Rifle was meant for Med-range combat and the plasma weapons were different. Like the more you got hit the more your body was stun to the point it was hard for you to move. Then the needier was more like a heat seeking missiles and the Spartans was the heat.
> >
> > Now I could go on and on about the old Halo games but I have work in the morning so by. :slight_smile:
>
> Perhaps u don’t understand why halo is so popular…? It has been the mascot for highly competitive gaming for the last decade and some… The BR is the fan favorite because it represents a level of skill when using it one on one or more. The assault rifle is hated so much because it requires 0 brain cells to operate. My 6 year old sister goes positive in games with the assault rifle… The reason the series was so highly popular and respected was because of it’s extremely competitive and skill oriented gameplay. Ur AR reflects neither of those traits. Not sure if u’ve noticed there buddy but the halo community that still remains are the “try hard” casual scrubs left over. Thats right, with the exception of a few, the real players that matter have left the game, leaving 343 to cater to you or whisp away into none existence. congratulations! Your army of ar wielding fuks are to blame for this terrible game and the loss of one of the largest communities a game has ever seen.[/spoiler]

I am going to weigh in…The BR will always be OP and don’t get me wrong its no ones fault the gun in itself has always been way too easy I like 343 because they atleast understand balance more then bungie did (sure the unsc weps were balanced but the CC sucked and the NR…ok I will give you the NR as I love it and I have more kills with it then the DMR so its ok)

IMO the BR just needs to go, to “balance it” would be breaking it and making it useless cough halo 4’s 5sk BR at launch cough I want a new human wep that can replace it.

I know halo is about competitiveness I have loved every halo EXCEPT for 3 as 3 did things in a way I feel was just wrong ( I won’t go into them because its off topic)

but I will state if future halos will give me the option of the CC instead of the BR I will accept it still. I feel this is why loadouts need to stay and be accepted in competitive settings but identical loadouts with just changing between the CC or BR and if we get new rifles the covie mid range and the new human mid range.

Load-outs can be balanced and can benefit halo hardcore even in competitive setting.

> I am going to weigh in…The BR will always be OP and don’t get me wrong its no ones fault the gun in itself has always been way too easy I like 343 because they atleast understand balance more then bungie did (sure the unsc weps were balanced but the CC sucked and the NR…ok I will give you the NR as I love it and I have more kills with it then the DMR so its ok)
>
> IMO the BR just needs to go, to “balance it” would be breaking it and making it useless cough halo 4’s 5sk BR at launch cough I want a new human wep that can replace it.
>
> I know halo is about competitiveness I have loved every halo EXCEPT for 3 as 3 did things in a way I feel was just wrong ( I won’t go into them because its off topic)
>
> but I will state if future halos will give me the option of the CC instead of the BR I will accept it still. I feel this is why loadouts need to stay and be accepted in competitive settings but identical loadouts with just changing between the CC or BR and if we get new rifles the covie mid range and the new human mid range.
>
> Load-outs can be balanced and can benefit halo hardcore even in competitive setting.

Its perfectly ok to have new weapons in a game, but you must weight in gameplay when implementing them. This was the case for Bungie when they introduced the DMR in Reach, the “new” midrange weapon, aka the all-purpose-rifle. The DMR was horribly unbalanced in the game, and even though 343i later did some justice with matchmaking magic, it is still a broken weapon today.

When you talk about Halo weapons, you must also consider range and movement, for which map size and design must be taken into account. This is what occurred in Reach, and what made almost all maps in that game (even DLC) become just horrible except for a few.

The same thing occurs in Halo 4, as maps didn’t take into account weapon placement and movement when designing them. What turned out were “bad” maps, with only 2-3 (in my opinion) being “worthy” Halo maps. The mechanics of Halo don’t work in most of these maps, especially with the “innovative” Sprint and Loadouts. This has been a topic long discussed for which Pro and Cons have been offered, and for which I have no time to discuss. I’m just trying to give another perspective.

The only reason why Loadouts seem to be working at the present moment is because the community has changed much about the game from what 343i originally planned.

The BR just needs two things adjusted:

1. RoF (Priority)
  2. Spread

Lower the RoF just a tad bit. Currently, it’s a 4sk DMR (without the range), which is what everyone was complaining about in the first place, so it doesn’t make much sense to have another weapon do the same thing in a way but better. In most fights, the BR is the better weapon, against both Carbines and ARs. A very slight RoF reduce would make the BR perfect in the balance. Right now, it’s just a tad bit too much.

As for the spread, seeing BRs on big maps, doing good at long-range, is beyond stupid. We complained about how seeing DMRs on small maps, doing good at close-range. It’s kind of the same thing now. Obviously the BR isn’t dominate at long-range, but the fact that it can suppress DMR/LR users is stupid. Have you looked at the BR’s spread? It doesn’t look like there’s any. A slight spread increase would help (however, if you reduce the RoF, I’m not too sure if a spread increase would be necessary).

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that the BR requires 11 shots, not all 12. This is to compensate for lag, which makes sense, but I got two things to say about that.
One is why didn’t the LR require 11 shots also? I’m pretty hurt about that. I’d say that the LR needed it more than the BR.
Two is that, for me and my friends at least, we don’t see much lag in Halo 4. Which means majority of our games, the BR doesn’t need compensating, meaning it’s slightly doing better than wanted in majority of our games.

If the BR doesn’t get adjusted in Halo 4, I won’t be too hurt. I’ll deal with it. But (assuming all the weapons stay the same) in Halo 5, if the BR behaves like this again, I won’t be very happy about it.

Halo has always been a skill-dominant game. It seems like all of the people complaining are advocating changing the way Halo has been since the beginning. I can name 5 shooters off the top of my head that you can all go play to have your weekend fun.

Don’t cry about how competitive and difficult the game is when it has been that way since day one. If you all have seriously been whining about the pro’s choice weapons since Halo: CE, then I really think you need to see a therapist. There are a ton of other games you could have been playing in this time. You don’t see skilled Halo players going into BF or CoD lobbies and crying that there aren’t any shields.

AR wielders aren’t even close to being idiots unless they run blindly. A good AR user knows how to use his weapon, strafing, and guerrilla tactics. Or other, similar strategies. If you think that the AR users ruined Halo, maybe you should stop playing it.

I mean, I use the Battle Rifle, and easily SLAUGHTER AR newbies. But the players who use it well? They are a force to be reckoned with.

> Okay, I know there are probably a lot of threads talking about the Battle Rifle vs other precision loadout weps. While this may or may not be true, I’m here to discuss what really bugs me about the Battle Rifle.
>
> Okay, so I’m just a regular gamer, I’m not a casual, but I’m not hardcore/MLG either. I play games to have fun, and winning is just an added bonus. Something that I’m having a very hard time coping with in this game (I got it for Christmas 2013, so post weapon balancing title update, meaning that I don’t know how weapons handled prior to the TU) is the fact that a weapon intended for accuracy at mid/short range can easily best an Assault Rifle, Suppressor, Storm Rifle, and sometimes even a SAW. (Very rarely with that last one) in very short range.
>
> Could someone be kind enough to tell me why it makes sense for a semi-automatic, accuracy dependent, burst firing weapon to beat something that is fully automatic? If you can come up with a reasonable explanation as to how that’s fair/balanced I would love to hear it.

The way the the BR (as well as the LR and DMR and Carbine) work is it rewards users who have a greater accuracy over those who don’t…meaning hit your shots, you’ll get kills. Now why is the BR “OP”…because it offers the most effect damage output at the most ranges in the sandbox. Before the TU, the DMR was king, now the BR and DMR are neck and neck depending on the map size (Personally I prefer the BR due to my playstyle and shot mechanics).

> The BR just needs two things adjusted:
> 1) RoF (Priority)
> 2) Spread
>
> Lower the RoF just a tad bit. Currently, it’s a 4sk DMR (without the range), which is what everyone was complaining about in the first place, so it doesn’t make much sense to have another weapon do the same thing in a way but better. In most fights, the BR is the better weapon, against both Carbines and ARs. A very slight RoF reduce would make the BR perfect in the balance. Right now, it’s just a tad bit too much.
>
> As for the spread, seeing BRs on big maps, doing good at long-range, is beyond stupid. We complained about how seeing DMRs on small maps, doing good at close-range. It’s kind of the same thing now. Obviously the BR isn’t dominate at long-range, but the fact that it can suppress DMR/LR users is stupid. Have you looked at the BR’s spread? It doesn’t look like there’s any. A slight spread increase would help (however, if you reduce the RoF, I’m not too sure if a spread increase would be necessary).
>
> Another thing that bugs me is the fact that the BR requires 11 shots, not all 12. This is to compensate for lag, which makes sense, but I got two things to say about that.
> One is why didn’t the LR require 11 shots also? I’m pretty hurt about that. I’d say that the LR needed it more than the BR.
> Two is that, for me and my friends at least, we don’t see much lag in Halo 4. Which means majority of our games, the BR doesn’t need compensating, meaning it’s slightly doing better than wanted in majority of our games.
>
> If the BR doesn’t get adjusted in Halo 4, I won’t be too hurt. I’ll deal with it. But (assuming all the weapons stay the same) in Halo 5, if the BR behaves like this again, I won’t be very happy about it.

Honestly I’d like to see a much tighter spread on the BR, as to keep the bullet hit requirements to kill clean. Online, the game is greatly affected by latency issues, reduces to bullet spread would actually make the game more enjoyable from a shot registration point of view.

As for the BR out competing the DMR/LR at range on BTB type maps…Honestly a lot of that is more shooting skill based (as well as the flinch mechanics) then the BR being better.

Also I believe the BR has one of the higher aim assist settings in the sandbox, if anything needs to be changed its that.

>

But you would basically have the same thing as the DMR really accurate at range to the point it could be better than the DMR in a lot more cases than it is now . Although there would be less range but still it could muck up the balance. I think this vid can help paint the picture ; may not be 100% accurate but that’s the idea.

> Honestly I’d like to see a much tighter spread on the BR, as to keep the bullet hit requirements to kill clean. Online, the game is greatly affected by latency issues, reduces to bullet spread would actually make the game more enjoyable from a shot registration point of view.
>
> Also I believe the BR has one of the higher aim assist settings in the sandbox, if anything needs to be changed its that.

1. Personally I would like a BR with vertical spread only that is caused by recoil, and projectiles (assuming dedi’s). This would make the BR useable at any range. Its only limitation would be the skill of its wielder. As the BR fires, you should be able to pull the reticle down slightly to combat the effects of recoil. This is basically the way the BR works in Halo 4 (Keep in mind that Halo 4 also has a tonne of aim assist and bullet magnetism).

2. I believe that bullet magnetism and the size of reticles should be reduced across the board.

> BR: Halo 2 vs Halo 3

As for this video, I feel as though the Halo 2 BR is far superior gameplay wise. Skill should be the only factor, not random spread.