Battle Passes and DLC

Halo Infinite footage looks phenomenal so far. I’m confident I will spend hundreds of hours enjoying the multiplayer.
Since the multiplayer is going to be free to play, it’s evident that 343i has to monetize the experience in some way.
However, my question is: Will the people that buy a physical version of the game ($60) still have to buy battle passes, or will those be included since we already paid upfront for the game? It doesn’t make sense to submit the same monetization practices onto people that already paid premium ($60) for the game.
What do you guys think?

You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.

I think people need to stop thinking of the SP and MP of the same thing, as the same experience
or better said, same product. H:I SP will be its own game and so will be the MP.
They’ll be independant experiences and thus separately monetized.

You shouldn’t expect getting anything for free for the MP when buying the SP - because, frankly,
you’ll be paying for the campaign, duh. Not for the MP.
The MP will be free and monetized through battle passes and probably some kind of MTX.

It’s not mental gymnastics.
If Battlefield 2042 can be full-price while MP-only, why shouldn’t H:I be as being SP-only?
I mean, no one expects games like Hellblade or Ratched and Clank
to not get sold at full-price just because they’re lacking a multiplayer mode.

> 2533274818084099;2:
> You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.

Don’t shill. No way in hell an 8 hour campaign is worth 60 dollars. There better be other things to justify the price. If it is literally JUST campaign then it better not go over $30.

> 2533274894270677;4:
> > 2533274818084099;2:
> > You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.
>
> Don’t shill. No way in hell an 8 hour campaign is worth 60 dollars. There better be other things to justify the price. If it is literally JUST campaign then it better not go over $30.

Bioshock 1.
Bioshock Infinite.
Alan Wake.
Mass Effect 1.
Mirror’s Edge.

Are you saying these games are (were) overpriced?

> 2533274894270677;4:
> > 2533274818084099;2:
> > You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.
>
> Don’t shill. No way in hell an 8 hour campaign is worth 60 dollars. There better be other things to justify the price. If it is literally JUST campaign then it better not go over $30.

How do you know the campaign will be just eight hours? What are you basing this claim on?
Seriously dude, if you don’t know more than anyone else he, you’re just sounding stingy with an attitude like that lol.

> 2533274886490718;3:
> I think people need to stop thinking of the SP and MP of the same thing, as the same experience
> or better said, same product. H:I SP will be its own game and so will be the MP.
> They’ll be independant experiences and thus separately monetized.
>
> You shouldn’t expect getting anything for free for the MP when buying the SP - because, frankly,
> you’ll be paying for the campaign, duh. Not for the MP. The MP will be free and monetized through battle passes and probably some kind of MTX.
>
> It’s not mental gymnastics. If Battlefield 2042 can be full-price while MP-only, why shouldn’t H:I be as being SP-only?
> I mean, no one expects games like Hellblade or Ratched and Clank to not get sold at full-price just because they’re lacking a multiplayer mode.

Yes but the difference here is those $60 dollar SP games are just that. Single player games. With deep and engaging gameplay and typically a very thought out and interesting story. There’s a reason Halo’s campaigns aren’t as interesting or thought out or just…good as something like Resident Evil. Those SP games are made to be just that. SP games. Also. Hellblade was $30.

There’s also the factor that every main Halo since Halo 3 has released with a 6 or so hour campaign, a very in-depth and expansive MP, a third game mode, AND forge. So. Why are you okay with paying the same and getting less?

I think it’s fair to say Infinite’s campaign will be around the same length as every other Halo game but lets say its 10 hours. Do you think it should be $60? I don’t. You can’t look at me with a straight face and tell me Halo campaigns are anywhere near the same level of value as something as -Yoinking!- awesome as DOOM’s campaign or Red Dead Redemption 2. If you like Halo’s campaign more that’s fine but in terms of depth, replay value, and just general focus on the SP aspect Halo can’t touch SP dedicated games. And that’s how it is with FPS games. Sure Halo’s campaign is super fun but MP has always been the clear focus since H3. The same goes for COD or Battlefield.

Campaigns were just value propositions. They were there because companies didn’t think the game would sell without it. It used to be the other way around. The CE campaign was the focus and the MP was added on cause every game had MP then. Now it’s gotten to the point where you can sell a MP game without a campaign because consumers are okay with it.

I’ve said all this so let me address what you said directly:*“If Battlefield 2042 can be full-price while MP-only, why shouldn’t H:I be as being SP-only?”*There’s a big difference in a MP with several maps, dozens of weapons, dozens of gadgets, dozens of vehicles, and several different game modes (not like conquest and tdm but the other 2 big game modes that Dice haven’t given details on yet. akin to warzone.) and lots of replay value and then something like a Halo campaign which has at most like 12 hours of truly unique content. I’ve played Halo 3’s campaign for hundreds of hours but it’s not really unique anymore. The sandbox element carries it a little but I only replay it cause I love Halo. And I only replay it with friends. and any game is fun with friends so. Not cause the campaign is fun anymore. This is the same for Infinite. It’s gonna be a standard Halo campaign. It’s not gonna be something as in-depth as DOOM. It’s gonna be a fun little 8 hour experience that I’ll replay with friends every once in awhile (if it’s at all decent) I expect it to wow me no more than Titanfall 2’s campaign. Great campaign but absolutely not why the game is worth $60.

I mean, no one expects games like Hellblade or Ratched and Clank*to not get sold at full-price just because they’re lacking a multiplayer mode.*I already went over this but Hellblade was $30 at release (I’m 99% sure) and Ratchet and Clank is a SP focused game. It’s a 15-20 hour AAA experience. It’s basically a Marvel movie that you can play…for 15 hours+. Think it’s pretty obvious why it’s worth $60. And even then a lot of people wait till games like that are on sale.

If Halo Infinite releases and its $60 for an 8 hour campaign then I won’t buy it. I’ll play it with gamepass and touch it next year when me and my friends decide to replay the Halo games again. There’s nothing wrong with a consumer wanting a properly valued product. If the Infinite campaign is on par with the other Halo campaigns and maybe gives you like a few skins for beating it then it absolutely should not be priced more than $30.

> 2533274818084099;5:
> > 2533274894270677;4:
> > > 2533274818084099;2:
> > > You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.
> >
> > Don’t shill. No way in hell an 8 hour campaign is worth 60 dollars. There better be other things to justify the price. If it is literally JUST campaign then it better not go over $30.
>
> Bioshock 1.
> Bioshock Infinite.
> Alan Wake.
> Mass Effect 1.
> Mirror’s Edge.
>
> Are you saying these games are (were) overpriced?

replying with a reply I made to someone else.

Yes but the difference here is those $60 dollar SP games are just that. Single player games. With deep and engaging gameplay and typically a very thought out and interesting story. There’s a reason Halo’s campaigns aren’t as interesting or thought out or just…good as something like Resident Evil. Those SP games are made to be just that. SP games. Also. Hellblade was $30.

There’s also the factor that every main Halo since Halo 3 has released with a 6 or so hour campaign, a very in-depth and expansive MP, a third game mode, AND forge. So. Why are you okay with paying the same and getting less?

I think it’s fair to say Infinite’s campaign will be around the same length as every other Halo game but lets say its 10 hours. Do you think it should be $60? I don’t. You can’t look at me with a straight face and tell me Halo campaigns are anywhere near the same level of value as something as -Yoinking!- awesome as DOOM’s campaign or Red Dead Redemption 2. If you like Halo’s campaign more that’s fine but in terms of depth, replay value, and just general focus on the SP aspect Halo can’t touch SP dedicated games. And that’s how it is with FPS games. Sure Halo’s campaign is super fun but MP has always been the clear focus since H3. The same goes for COD or Battlefield.

Campaigns were just value propositions. They were there because companies didn’t think the game would sell without it. It used to be the other way around. The CE campaign was the focus and the MP was added on cause every game had MP then. Now it’s gotten to the point where you can sell a MP game without a campaign because consumers are okay with it.
I’ve said all this so let me address what you said directly:*“If Battlefield 2042 can be full-price while MP-only, why shouldn’t H:I be as being SP-only?”*There’s a big difference in a MP with several maps, dozens of weapons, dozens of gadgets, dozens of vehicles, and several different game modes (not like conquest and tdm but the other 2 big game modes that Dice haven’t given details on yet. akin to warzone.) and lots of replay value and then something like a Halo campaign which has at most like 12 hours of truly unique content. I’ve played Halo 3’s campaign for hundreds of hours but it’s not really unique anymore. The sandbox element carries it a little but I only replay it cause I love Halo. And I only replay it with friends. and any game is fun with friends so. Not cause the campaign is fun anymore. This is the same for Infinite. It’s gonna be a standard Halo campaign. It’s not gonna be something as in-depth as DOOM. It’s gonna be a fun little 8 hour experience that I’ll replay with friends every once in awhile (if it’s at all decent) I expect it to wow me no more than Titanfall 2’s campaign. Great campaign but absolutely not why the game is worth $60.

I mean, no one expects games like Hellblade or Ratched and Clank *to not get sold at full-price just because they’re lacking a multiplayer mode.*I already went over this but Hellblade was $30 at release (I’m 99% sure) and Ratchet and Clank is a SP focused game. It’s a 15-20 hour AAA experience. It’s basically a Marvel movie that you can play…for 15 hours+. Think it’s pretty obvious why it’s worth $60. And even then a lot of people wait till games like that are on sale.

If Halo Infinite releases and its $60 for an 8 hour campaign then I won’t buy it. I’ll play it with gamepass and touch it next year when me and my friends decide to replay the Halo games again. There’s nothing wrong with a consumer wanting a properly valued product. If the Infinite campaign is on par with the other Halo campaigns and maybe gives you like a few skins for beating it then it absolutely should not be priced more than $30.

> 2533274894270677;8:
> > 2533274818084099;5:
> > > 2533274894270677;4:
> > > > 2533274818084099;2:
> > > > You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.
> > >
> > > Don’t shill. No way in hell an 8 hour campaign is worth 60 dollars. There better be other things to justify the price. If it is literally JUST campaign then it better not go over $30.
> >
> > Bioshock 1.
> > Bioshock Infinite.
> > Alan Wake.
> > Mass Effect 1.
> > Mirror’s Edge.
> >
> > Are you saying these games are (were) overpriced?
>
> There’s a reason Halo’s campaigns aren’t as interesting or thought out or just…good as something like Resident Evil.

Is this a hot take?

> 2533274818084099;9:
> > 2533274894270677;8:
> > > 2533274818084099;5:
> > > > 2533274894270677;4:
> > > > > 2533274818084099;2:
> > > > > You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.
> > > >
> > > > Don’t shill. No way in hell an 8 hour campaign is worth 60 dollars. There better be other things to justify the price. If it is literally JUST campaign then it better not go over $30.
> > >
> > > Bioshock 1.
> > > Bioshock Infinite.
> > > Alan Wake.
> > > Mass Effect 1.
> > > Mirror’s Edge.
> > >
> > > Are you saying these games are (were) overpriced?
> >
> > There’s a reason Halo’s campaigns aren’t as interesting or thought out or just…good as something like Resident Evil.
>
> Is this a hot take?

lmao not necessarily. I love Halo campaigns but you can’t say that something like Mass effect 1 and halo 3 are on the same level you know? I like Halo 3’s campaign more but that just cause I like the game more. If I were to pick between Mass effect 1 or just the Halo 3 campaign for $60 bucks I’d go with ME1 just cause I’m getting a way more bang for buck. The Halo campaigns are bread and butter FPS campaigns. Typically solid, even great, but not where the value lies. Titanfall 2’s campaign was so great but even if I replay it I’m only getting like 8 hours out of it. I bought the game cause of the MP. Campaign is just for value. But again this all depends on the person. Some people don’t like MP and that’s totally okay. If you’re cool with buying Halo JUST for the campaign then have at it. But please don’t advocate for it to be $60 unless it’s truly a $60 experience. The Witcher 3 is a $60 experience. Skyrim is a $60 experience. Dishonored. Mass Effect 3. The list goes on. A Halo campaign?..well unless this one is truly something special then it shouldn’t be worth $60.

> 2533274886490718;3:
> I think people need to stop thinking of the SP and MP of the same thing, as the same experience
> or better said, same product. H:I SP will be its own game and so will be the MP.
> They’ll be independant experiences and thus separately monetized.
>
> You shouldn’t expect getting anything for free for the MP when buying the SP - because, frankly,
> you’ll be paying for the campaign, duh. Not for the MP. The MP will be free and monetized through battle passes and probably some kind of MTX.
>
> It’s not mental gymnastics. If Battlefield 2042 can be full-price while MP-only, why shouldn’t H:I be as being SP-only?
> I mean, no one expects games like Hellblade or Ratched and Clank to not get sold at full-price just because they’re lacking a multiplayer mode.

Are they really two entirely different products though?

Halo games have always shipped as a complete product, including campaign and multiplayer, plus bonus features in later games like forge and theater, etc all in one excellent and complete package. And there has always been overlap between both aspects of the game. Example: certain campaign completions, achievements, and objectives were reflected as unlockable armor or other cosmetics in the multiplayer portion of the games. And if you want to dive even further, the games shipped with both the single player and multiplayer on disc, meaning they’re part of one product. Always has been. And if we want to be even more pedantic, campaign and multiplayer have always had overlap because of co-op in the campaign. Regardless, it’s not incomprehensible for someone like me that has played every mainline Halo game since the series’ inception to expect a $60 to include all of the content I have come to expect from a Halo title.

When the game launches this holiday and I walk into my retailer of choice to buy the game, I’ll be buying Halo Infinite, as clearly labeled in the cover art, the title of the game, and the marketing material. Halo Infinite, not Halo Infinite - Campaign Only. If I’m not buying the game and its contents in its entirety, then I’m spending money on an incomplete experience. I wouldn’t be happy spending $60 on just the campaign when previous Halo games (except 5) shipped with all possible unlockables available to us in-game. We’re getting less content when compared to previous entries. This is further compounded if the multiplayer aspect of Halo Infinite is also included in the disc we purchase, but we are expected to submit to the same monetization and free-to-play players.

It’s an issue of value and principle, hence my original question in the OP. I love Halo and my question was genuine. I’d like to know what I’m getting for that $60 I’m spending to support the good work 343i has put into Halo Infinite as an entire package I’ve come to expect from a major Halo release like this one. If I buy Halo Infinite, why should I also pay additional for Halo Infinite Multiplayer content?

Of course, this could just be a ploy to get more people to play the game via Game Pass instead of actually owning it. Who knows. But I digress.

And bringing up Battlefield 2042 isn’t going you any favors because its pricing is preposterous and plenty of people have spoken up against it (rightfully so).

> 2533274894270677;4:
> > 2533274818084099;2:
>

An 8 hour Campaign that’s going to be getting DLC and future Campaigns added unto it.
By this logic you could say every Halo game is overpriced. I guess Halo 3 and Halo Reach weren’t worth $60 either? Oh what’s that? They came with multiplayer too? So does Infinite. The MP is free. You nimrod, you’re paying the same price you’ve always paid for an even bigger experience.

> 2533274882898126;12:
> > 2533274894270677;4:
> > > You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.
> >
> > Don’t shill. No way in hell an 8 hour campaign is worth 60 dollars. There better be other things to justify the price. If it is literally JUST campaign then it better not go over $30.
>
> An 8 hour Campaign that’s going to be getting DLC and future Campaigns added unto it.
> By this logic you could say every Halo game is overpriced. I guess Halo 3 and Halo Reach weren’t worth $60 either? Oh what’s that? They came with multiplayer too? So does Infinite. The MP is free. You nimrod, you’re paying the same price you’ve always paid for an even bigger experience.

I can’t believe how many people don’t understand what you have explained here. We’re only going to see more of it before launch unfortunately.

> 2607664605677189;13:
> > 2533274882898126;12:
> > > > You are buying the campaign. Completely separate from the MP portion and separate monetization stream.
> > >
> > > Don’t shill. No way in hell an 8 hour campaign is worth 60 dollars. There better be other things to justify the price. If it is literally JUST campaign then it better not go over $30.
> >
> > An 8 hour Campaign that’s going to be getting DLC and future Campaigns added unto it.
> > By this logic you could say every Halo game is overpriced. I guess Halo 3 and Halo Reach weren’t worth $60 either? Oh what’s that? They came with multiplayer too? So does Infinite. The MP is free. You nimrod, you’re paying the same price you’ve always paid for an even bigger experience.
>
> I can’t believe how many people don’t understand what you have explained here. We’re only going to see more of it before launch unfortunately.

The thing about large communities is that there will never be a time where everyone is pleased. Some portion, big or small, is going to have a negative reaction to literally anything new. That and some people lack sense or love to nitpick just for the sake of having everything be handed to them on a silver platter, trimmed and perfect as can be. smh

I think it’s completely justified for some people to question whether campaign alone is worth $60. In the past $60 covered campaign plus mp and forge. Taken at face value, it does come off as getting less for the same price.

__But…__we’ve never had campaign with a planned 10 years of support before. If 343 releases semi-regular campaign DLCs once or twice a year and doesn’t charge anything extra for the expansions then I could see the $60 being justified. Quite frankly, I just don’t think any of us know enough information about it all to say definitely one way or another whether a full $60 price tag will be worth it.

> 2533274894270677;8:
> > 2533274818084099;5:
> > >
> >
> > Bioshock 1.
> > Bioshock Infinite.
> > Alan Wake.
> > Mass Effect 1.
> > Mirror’s Edge.
> >
>
> There’s a reason Halo’s campaigns aren’t as interesting or thought out or just…good as something like Resident Evil.

I will ignore this absolute lack of respect because I am not a violent person. But someone must improve his criteria and personal liking.

> 2533274832291988;1:
> Halo Infinite footage looks phenomenal so far. I’m confident I will spend hundreds of hours enjoying the multiplayer.
> Since the multiplayer is going to be free to play, it’s evident that 343i has to monetize the experience in some way.
> However, my question is: Will the people that buy a physical version of the game ($60) still have to buy battle passes, or will those be included since we already paid upfront for the game? It doesn’t make sense to submit the same monetization practices onto people that already paid premium ($60) for the game.
> What do you guys think?

It may be something akin to Fortnite and its “Save the World” campaign. It does not give you the battle pass but it did give you benefits that you could invest in BR mode, such as money for Skins.

Inflation has been on the rise for years, particularly the year we are currently in. So I expect the games to cost more it’s been a miracle they have stayed at 60$ for so long.

I assume there will be something like a special season of the battle pass you only get for having the campaign.

> 2533274818084099;5:
> > 2533274894270677;4:
> >
>
> Bioshock 1.
> Bioshock Infinite.
> Alan Wake.
> Mass Effect 1.
> Mirror’s Edge.
>
> Are you saying these games are (were) overpriced?

You cannot compare these as they had no multiplayer element that was previously sold along side the campaign element. Now that multiplayer is free, the campaign better have an increase of quality and missions seeing its price essentially just doubled. Wake up and smell the monitization.

> 2533274855864618;19:
> > 2533274818084099;5:
> > >
> >
> > Bioshock 1.
> > Bioshock Infinite.
> > Alan Wake.
> > Mass Effect 1.
> > Mirror’s Edge.
> >
>
> You cannot compare these as they had no multiplayer element that was previously sold along side the campaign element. Now that multiplayer is free, the campaign better have an increase of quality and missions seeing its price essentially just doubled. Wake up and smell the monitization.

With this cost algorithm - Bioshock 2 should be more expensive than Bioshock 1 and so should Mass Effect 3, because they added MP.

Halo 2 should have cost more than CE (+online MP) and Halo 3 even more (+Forge, +theatre) and Reach even more so (+Firefight matchmaking, +more customization)

I’m just being realistic, Infinite will not cost less than a standard-priced game. Maybe it will even cost like a next-gen game (+10 units of your local currency to the last-gen price of a typical AAA game).
Should it cost that much? We just have to wait and see.