Battle Damaged armor idea

One think I’d suggest for armors is that as some logs in more time into the multiplayer aspect of the game, they unlock armor “skins” of sorts that make your armor appear more battle damaged.

Though it wasn’t a major gripe, I feel that Halo 4’s armor was just a little bit to…“perfect”. Imo, this would be a nice fun way to give a bit more of a grittier aspect to the game, even if its in a small way like this.

It’d be cool to see a few scratches here and there, some dings made by bullets or some plasma burns. Perhaps a gash in it made by an energy sword, or a hole that was made by a snipers bullet.

Nothing too compromising but enough to communicate the message that this Spartan is now a hardcore veteran who has rubbed noses with death and hasn’t come out completely unscathed.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Maybe the final version of these “skins” would be that your helmet would have a cracked visor, and this (optional) would appear on your HUD during gameplay.

> One think I’d suggest for armors is that as some logs in more time into the multiplayer aspect of the game, they unlock armor “skins” of sorts that make your armor appear more battle damaged.
>
> Though it wasn’t a major gripe, I feel that Halo 4’s armor was just a little bit to…“perfect”. Imo, this would be a nice fun way to give a bit more of a grittier aspect to the game, even if its in a small way like this.
>
> It’d be cool to see a few scratches here and there, some dings made by bullets or some plasma burns. Perhaps a gash in it made by an energy sword, or a hole that was made by a snipers bullet.
>
> Nothing too compromising but enough to communicate the message that this Spartan is now a hardcore veteran who has rubbed noses with death and hasn’t come out completely unscathed.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
> EDIT: Maybe the final version of these “skins” would be that your helmet would have a cracked visor, and this (optional) would appear on your HUD during gameplay.

Great idea.

Siul approves!

> > One think I’d suggest for armors is that as some logs in more time into the multiplayer aspect of the game, they unlock armor “skins” of sorts that make your armor appear more battle damaged.
> >
> > Though it wasn’t a major gripe, I feel that Halo 4’s armor was just a little bit to…“perfect”. Imo, this would be a nice fun way to give a bit more of a grittier aspect to the game, even if its in a small way like this.
> >
> > It’d be cool to see a few scratches here and there, some dings made by bullets or some plasma burns. Perhaps a gash in it made by an energy sword, or a hole that was made by a snipers bullet.
> >
> > Nothing too compromising but enough to communicate the message that this Spartan is now a hardcore veteran who has rubbed noses with death and hasn’t come out completely unscathed.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> >
> > EDIT: Maybe the final version of these “skins” would be that your helmet would have a cracked visor, and this (optional) would appear on your HUD during gameplay.
>
> Great idea.
>
> Siul approves!

So does HaloJunky.

Just thought of something lol

What if higher skilled veterans showed nearly squeaky clean armor

and Bad Veterans looked like they were on the verge of death, because they get smacked so much

Ex. They have half of their visor missing, missing teeth showing and no cod piece

jk

Noble is in agreement. A cracked visor has been on my list for some time now.

I’m thinking this could be like a newer and better ranking system (obviously separated from competetitive ranks).

Insted of showing off your Inheritor rank, show off your visually damaged armor for some merit.

So as long as it is earned by some means other than play time i see no problem.

I think it should unlock by accomplishments in campaign and mp. Beat the game on heroic , get a triple kill, anything the gen pop can achieve but not all can obtain seems fair enough to me.

What about decals? I’d love to give my black and red ODST some flames on his shoulders, arms, and legs.

Only if it’s done either as an optional effect that can be turned on or off, or there’s an option to repair your armour. I personally don’t want my Spartan to have a cracked visor.

As long as I get ammo pouches I am totally fine with some cool damage “skins”. I might like a little cracked piece of visor at the corner of my HUD too.

> Only if it’s done either as an optional effect that can be turned on or off, or there’s an option to repair your armour. I personally don’t want my Spartan to have a cracked visor.

Oh but of course. The more options aesthetic customization has, the better.

I actually really like this idea, but it should also come with a performance system in check that you’re actually hurt somewhere. Would maybe affect things like yourmovement speed, reload time, maybe even communcation or sight in general; Have like a crackle in the radio or visually, your visor’s cracked or staticky, or depending where you are on the map, dust or something on the visor just sets for a little whereever, basically dynamic weather stuff. Now if the battle damage were to affect rank, then rank numbers, or just rank in general except for emblem maybe should be hidden altogether as sort of a background system.

Really cool idea. I’d love to have worn out armor instead of the typical new and shiny.

> > > One think I’d suggest for armors is that as some logs in more time into the multiplayer aspect of the game, they unlock armor “skins” of sorts that make your armor appear more battle damaged.
> > >
> > > Though it wasn’t a major gripe, I feel that Halo 4’s armor was just a little bit to…“perfect”. Imo, this would be a nice fun way to give a bit more of a grittier aspect to the game, even if its in a small way like this.
> > >
> > > It’d be cool to see a few scratches here and there, some dings made by bullets or some plasma burns. Perhaps a gash in it made by an energy sword, or a hole that was made by a snipers bullet.
> > >
> > > Nothing too compromising but enough to communicate the message that this Spartan is now a hardcore veteran who has rubbed noses with death and hasn’t come out completely unscathed.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> > >
> > >
> > > EDIT: Maybe the final version of these “skins” would be that your helmet would have a cracked visor, and this (optional) would appear on your HUD during gameplay.
> >
> > Great idea.
> >
> > Siul approves!
>
> So does HaloJunky.

Fantastic, so does Duhh1ManArmy

As long as the visor crack doesn’t block the HUD i.e detract from gameplay.

Reach had it done right IMO.

Perhaps blend Reach and 4’s style.

This is actually a brilliant idea. Well done OP.

> This is actually a brilliant idea. Well done OP.

Thanks. I know this was something people I know along with others in the community saw as a distinct (yet minor) negative difference concerning the armor in Halo 4. I doubt the idea will ever get recognized by 343i but I can’t help but wonder how possible it would be to actually implement it into the game…