Ban party chat in ranked games?

I hope people give me a chance to explain myself before just saying no or yes.

I don’t know about you, but I really do miss the old Halo communities from Halo 2/3. Sure, party chat did eventually come into fruition during the Halo 3 years, but I remember a time where people used to communicate during ranked games with members of the community outside of their little friends groups.

I also remember a time where you could hear the opposition team members on their mics when they were very close to you and you could shout “yeah owned son” and stuff like that when you killed them. Sounds immature, I know, but remembering it brings a smile to my face. It’s not always nice to receive, but it’s part of what was fun about the old community. Taunting and communicating with team mates.

Before you say - “Well you can communicate in party chat, dumby” - I’m sick of going into team games and 3/4 of the people in the game in party chat with their friends who are playing minecraft or Fifa.

It completely ruins the idea of team play and turns it into just every man for himself. It’s not that big of a deal when you’re in the lower ranks, but once you reach the higher ranks then team tactical talk is ESSENTIAL.

Not everyone can find 4 or 8 or however many people it takes to fill a team to go into matchmaking. But if you get 4 random players of the same sort of skill communicating together, then they can really become more efficient.

I remember I joined a team slayer match in Halo 2. I was around a rank 32. We were 10-1 down pretty quickly. None of my team mates had their mics on at the beginning. I said “come on guys we need to start working together! Turn your damn mics on”. And all of them did. We started communicating and we managed to turn the game around and win 50-48.

Why did we win? Tactical discussion, pointing out enemy locations, selecting who gets to pick up the sniper etc. It can be the difference between winning and losing, and I really wanna see the incentive to play as a team come back.

Although I agree with the team base communication.

You, and anyone else, do not have any right to force another player to listen or communicate. I am not doing accusing, if that came across, I apologize, I am simply saying certain players even high ranking ones have more fun in silence or just by talking to their friends. What makes yours or my game experience better than theirs… nothing. Communication is good, but sometimes it isn’t required, in ranked matches… plus if other players joined a party you set up, make it invite only or if your joining there is the mute option.

Bottom line don’t force other players to communicate, let them choose to… heck Halo 3 mutliplayer had a option to pick players that communicate perhaps this could be re-implemented? But if forced the party users will most likely just disconnect their microphones till the match is over, and continue their conversation in the lobby loading screen once done. Plus think about clans… clans have to communicate etc.

I agree you cannot force people to communicate, but if you got rid of party chat In ranked matches them I’m sure you’d see a revival of in game chat which is a significant piece of the puzzle when it comes to reviving the community.

And what about clans? They can communicate in game. Just because you’re not in a party chat doesn’t mean you cannot communicate with each other all the same. You can still hear your team mates, it’s just party chat limits you to speaking to people in your party, whether they be playing the same game or not.

Microsoft is more about the generalized players comfortable experience and probably won’t make any features to BAN players… from communicating with friends. Although 343 Industries may implement the Halo 3 era options of choosing who you would like to play with.

Please don’t simplify it down to “banning players from communicating with their friends”. That’s not at all what I was saying.

What I say is that it might benefit the game and the community that in certain gametypes, party chat is not allowed, so it encourages you to communicate the people in the game that you are playing. If you want to have a social game where you can talk to anyone, explode anything etc, then you can play social playlists where nothing is at stake.

If you want to play in a competitive playlist for ranks with other competitive, serious players, then I think it’s only fair that you embrace the team play side of things. If you don’t want to then that’s fine, but I think getting rid of party chat in ranked team matches will bring back team communication, and bring the community back together in the way that it was.

I’m hopeful that if a proper skill based ranking system comes back then it will give players the incentive to communicate more, but I think it would be best for Halo if you got rid of party chat in ranked games and got team members communicating again.

This doesnt really promote game chat as you seem to think since it would be people shouting at each other to shut up whilst they talk to their friends when they would of been free to do this in party chat and those who wish to game chat with their team to do so with others who share the same idea. And lots of communication in halo is non verbal anyway.

All the following is targeted at the general audience, not anyone in particular.

No. Absolutely not. I spend 95% of my time in party chat because I don’t enjoy being insulted and/or harassed simply for being a girl or other stupid things. Taking that option away from me will pretty much guarantee that I will never play those playlists, ever.

And before someone tries to say it’s not a problem, all I’m going to say is that unless you are a girl and have been on the receiving end, you really can’t judge that. YOU might not be insulting or harassing to girls but I can promise you that the majority of XBL is not like you.

No.

Absolutely not.

Banning Party Chat is not going to bring back the “good old days.” At best what you’re going to accomplish is people playing in silence with the occasional XBL reject spouting typical insults getting muted.

Instead what’s more likely to happen is that you’re going to piss people off and drive down the population of Ranked because people can’t talk to their friends.

I’ve said this before and i’ll say it again. In general if you limit your players experience you’re doing it wrong.

You know what i did? I turned my mic off. If you are really that bent on winning a ranked game so much that you’d want to take something from other player form your own team. Pretty much anyone who’s been real serious about competition has made their own team.

By forcing game chat you are limiting players to a section of the game. For instance i can’t play infection in call of duty ghosts because they force game chat.
You can’t force teamwork.

Forcing people to talk to each other will not bring the community back. There are still plenty of kind people in the halo community. Forcing people to talk in game will not bring them out.

I think the best thing that could be done without forcing it down players throats would be to have a search option that only searches for people who are in game chat.

> All the following is targeted at the general audience, not anyone in particular.
>
> No. Absolutely not. I spend 95% of my time in party chat because I don’t enjoy being insulted and/or harassed simply for being a girl or other stupid things. Taking that option away from me will pretty much guarantee that I will never play those playlists, ever.
>
> And before someone tries to say it’s not a problem, all I’m going to say is that unless you are a girl and have been on the receiving end, you really can’t judge that. YOU might not be insulting or harassing to girls but I can promise you that the majority of XBL is not like you.

I can respect that xbox live or any online community can have its problems, but there is a solution to your issue without using party chat.

If you think you will be harassed you could always just unplug your mic or have it off by default. If its plugged in, but you aren’t speaking nobody will know what gender you are or what you sound like. For the users that may be annoying you can mute them specifically.

I’m in complete agreement that party chat needs to be eliminated in select playlists(ranked playlists that don’t have join in progress).

The benefit of having no party chat is the team can actually communicate. I miss the days of Halo 2 where teams would do call outs in terms of player location, power ups, and weapons. Even in the case where you had a bad experience with a user its still beneficial to be able to hear what your team is planning on doing. I would rather be in a room with a bunch of people that say nothing that can hear call outs then be in a room where no communication is possible.

One of the reasons I stopped playing Halo 4 besides the game play was because I would frequently be put in a room full of users that are in a party chat.

> > All the following is targeted at the general audience, not anyone in particular.
> >
> > No. Absolutely not. I spend 95% of my time in party chat because I don’t enjoy being insulted and/or harassed simply for being a girl or other stupid things. Taking that option away from me will pretty much guarantee that I will never play those playlists, ever.
> >
> > And before someone tries to say it’s not a problem, all I’m going to say is that unless you are a girl and have been on the receiving end, you really can’t judge that. YOU might not be insulting or harassing to girls but I can promise you that the majority of XBL is not like you.
>
> I can respect that xbox live or any online community can have its problems, but there is a solution to your issue without using party chat.
>
> If you think you will be harassed you could always just unplug your mic or have it off by default. If its plugged in, but you aren’t speaking nobody will know what gender you are or what you sound like. For the users that may be annoying you can mute them specifically.
> What if she wishes to speak to friends whilst playing which most people do 90% of the time, argument killer.
>
> I’m in complete agreement that party chat needs to be eliminated in select playlists(ranked playlists that don’t have join in progress).
>
> The benefit of having no party chat is the team can actually communicate.
>
> They can now with party chat in place, just most peopel dont want to and forcing them wont cause instant good communication. Plus barely anyone does it bow and this way it isnt forcing anyone into anything.
>
> I miss the days of Halo 2 where teams would do call outs in terms of player location, power ups, and weapons. Even in the case where you had a bad experience with a user its still beneficial to be able to hear what your team is planning on doing. I would rather be in a room with a bunch of people that say nothing that can hear call outs then be in a room where no communication is possible.
>
> Many more people would rather talk with their friends or have to listen to others hence why party chat is such a popular feature.
>
> One of the reasons I stopped playing Halo 4 besides the game play was because I would frequently be put in a room full of users that are in a party chat.

Why? Because they dont want to chat? What would putting them into game chat do? Absolutely not what you want since it would turn into a rabble of people talking over each other or an awkward silence with only those who want to gamechat talking like they do now. You want to have verbal communication which isnt essential and often replaced with in game indicators then group up with people instead of making your case worse and annoying millions of people.

No. Team communication doesn’t work well with random players most of the time anyways. I have no interest in being told how to play by others. Nothing bugs me more than some wannbe pro kid barking orders at me so he can end up below me on the leader boards.

> > All the following is targeted at the general audience, not anyone in particular.
> >
> > No. Absolutely not. I spend 95% of my time in party chat because I don’t enjoy being insulted and/or harassed simply for being a girl or other stupid things. Taking that option away from me will pretty much guarantee that I will never play those playlists, ever.
> >
> > And before someone tries to say it’s not a problem, all I’m going to say is that unless you are a girl and have been on the receiving end, you really can’t judge that. YOU might not be insulting or harassing to girls but I can promise you that the majority of XBL is not like you.
>
> I can respect that xbox live or any online community can have its problems, but there is a solution to your issue without using party chat.
>
> If you think you will be harassed you could always just unplug your mic or have it off by default. If its plugged in, but you aren’t speaking nobody will know what gender you are or what you sound like. For the users that may be annoying you can mute them specifically.

Sure. I could. But then I’m still not communicating with the team, right? So what’s the difference? So I can sit around and be in a party, and actually enjoy my time playing, or I can sit with no mic and no one to talk to. Man. Sounds like SO much fun.

> > > All the following is targeted at the general audience, not anyone in particular.
> > >
> > > No. Absolutely not. I spend 95% of my time in party chat because I don’t enjoy being insulted and/or harassed simply for being a girl or other stupid things. Taking that option away from me will pretty much guarantee that I will never play those playlists, ever.
> > >
> > > And before someone tries to say it’s not a problem, all I’m going to say is that unless you are a girl and have been on the receiving end, you really can’t judge that. YOU might not be insulting or harassing to girls but I can promise you that the majority of XBL is not like you.
> >
> > I can respect that xbox live or any online community can have its problems, but there is a solution to your issue without using party chat.
> >
> > If you think you will be harassed you could always just unplug your mic or have it off by default. If its plugged in, but you aren’t speaking nobody will know what gender you are or what you sound like. For the users that may be annoying you can mute them specifically.
> > What if she wishes to speak to friends whilst playing which most people do 90% of the time, argument killer.
> >
> > I’m in complete agreement that party chat needs to be eliminated in select playlists(ranked playlists that don’t have join in progress).
> >
> > The benefit of having no party chat is the team can actually communicate.
> >
> > They can now with party chat in place, just most peopel dont want to and forcing them wont cause instant good communication. Plus barely anyone does it bow and this way it isnt forcing anyone into anything.
> >
> > I miss the days of Halo 2 where teams would do call outs in terms of player location, power ups, and weapons. Even in the case where you had a bad experience with a user its still beneficial to be able to hear what your team is planning on doing. I would rather be in a room with a bunch of people that say nothing that can hear call outs then be in a room where no communication is possible.
> >
> > Many more people would rather talk with their friends or have to listen to others hence why party chat is such a popular feature.
> >
> > One of the reasons I stopped playing Halo 4 besides the game play was because I would frequently be put in a room full of users that are in a party chat.
>
> Why? Because they dont want to chat? What would putting them into game chat do? Absolutely not what you want since it would turn into a rabble of people talking over each other or an awkward silence with only those who want to gamechat talking like they do now. You want to have verbal communication which isnt essential and often replaced with in game indicators then group up with people instead of making your case worse and annoying millions of people.

The OP was talking about ranked play lists so I doubt you will get much rambling in chat once a player gets to an above average skill level.

If a player wants to live in complete silence and never hear another user they can always play the social playlists while using party chat. If a user is playing a ranked playlist they want to test their skill and improve(communication is needed). If a player just wants to fool around and don’t care if they win or lose social playlists are great options.

To the people that say oh why don’t you just play with a group of people you know? Not everyone plays at the same time and how are you going to make new friends without any sort of communication? Back in Halo 2 if you did a ranked match and your team had mics while the other team didn’t you knew you won before the game even started. Communication to me is essential for a good game. In someways 343 alleviated some of the need for communication due to having indicators(not a fan) of weapons spawns and always showing the flag location. However, in a very close game when the game is almost over its nice to say their is a crouching sword/shotgun/rocket user waiting around the corner.

At the very least their needs to be an option to search for games that only use in game chat.

> > > All the following is targeted at the general audience, not anyone in particular.
> > >
> > > No. Absolutely not. I spend 95% of my time in party chat because I don’t enjoy being insulted and/or harassed simply for being a girl or other stupid things. Taking that option away from me will pretty much guarantee that I will never play those playlists, ever.
> > >
> > > And before someone tries to say it’s not a problem, all I’m going to say is that unless you are a girl and have been on the receiving end, you really can’t judge that. YOU might not be insulting or harassing to girls but I can promise you that the majority of XBL is not like you.
> >
> > I can respect that xbox live or any online community can have its problems, but there is a solution to your issue without using party chat.
> >
> > If you think you will be harassed you could always just unplug your mic or have it off by default. If its plugged in, but you aren’t speaking nobody will know what gender you are or what you sound like. For the users that may be annoying you can mute them specifically.
>
> Sure. I could. But then I’m still not communicating with the team, right? So what’s the difference? So I can sit around and be in a party, and actually enjoy my time playing, or I can sit with no mic and no one to talk to. Man. Sounds like SO much fun.

What about my perspective? It is SO fun to be in a game where you can’t communicate with your team. From my personal experience a player that can’t communicate or at least hear the team is dead weight and might as well be an AI bot. The OP said in reference to ranked games where people are generally more serious and want to improve. If you want to get better at any sort of organized activity that involves teams communication is needed.

No, so why should I suffer when annoying people that I don’t want to listen to? Example I like talking to select type of people in-game or party chat while most games I find a lot of irritating people like people blasting music or someone who can’t say a sentence without swearing.

So basically my game experience should be ruined just so someone can yell at me for taking the sniper? no, I’ll stick to party chat, even headset not plugged in.

Game-chat only should never be forced, every game I ever known that has ever forced this nonsense has been ignored by everyone I know.

> > > > All the following is targeted at the general audience, not anyone in particular.
> > > >
> > > > No. Absolutely not. I spend 95% of my time in party chat because I don’t enjoy being insulted and/or harassed simply for being a girl or other stupid things. Taking that option away from me will pretty much guarantee that I will never play those playlists, ever.
> > > >
> > > > And before someone tries to say it’s not a problem, all I’m going to say is that unless you are a girl and have been on the receiving end, you really can’t judge that. YOU might not be insulting or harassing to girls but I can promise you that the majority of XBL is not like you.
> > >
> > > I can respect that xbox live or any online community can have its problems, but there is a solution to your issue without using party chat.
> > >
> > > If you think you will be harassed you could always just unplug your mic or have it off by default. If its plugged in, but you aren’t speaking nobody will know what gender you are or what you sound like. For the users that may be annoying you can mute them specifically.
> > > What if she wishes to speak to friends whilst playing which most people do 90% of the time, argument killer.
> > >
> > > I’m in complete agreement that party chat needs to be eliminated in select playlists(ranked playlists that don’t have join in progress).
> > >
> > > The benefit of having no party chat is the team can actually communicate.
> > >
> > > They can now with party chat in place, just most peopel dont want to and forcing them wont cause instant good communication. Plus barely anyone does it bow and this way it isnt forcing anyone into anything.
> > >
> > > I miss the days of Halo 2 where teams would do call outs in terms of player location, power ups, and weapons. Even in the case where you had a bad experience with a user its still beneficial to be able to hear what your team is planning on doing. I would rather be in a room with a bunch of people that say nothing that can hear call outs then be in a room where no communication is possible.
> > >
> > > Many more people would rather talk with their friends or have to listen to others hence why party chat is such a popular feature.
> > >
> > > One of the reasons I stopped playing Halo 4 besides the game play was because I would frequently be put in a room full of users that are in a party chat.
> >
> > Why? Because they dont want to chat? What would putting them into game chat do? Absolutely not what you want since it would turn into a rabble of people talking over each other or an awkward silence with only those who want to gamechat talking like they do now. You want to have verbal communication which isnt essential and often replaced with in game indicators then group up with people instead of making your case worse and annoying millions of people.
>
> The OP was talking about ranked play lists so I doubt you will get much rambling in chat once a player gets to an above average skill level.
>
> You’d be suprised, and the rage along with 'OMG noob eyc is more common in ranked.
>
> If a player wants to live in complete silence and never hear another user they can always play the social playlists while using party chat. If a user is playing a ranked playlist they want to test their skill and improve(communication is needed). If a player just wants to fool around and don’t care if they win or lose social playlists are great options.
>
> To the people that say oh why don’t you just play with a group of people you know? Not everyone plays at the same time and how are you going to make new friends without any sort of communication?
>
> You branch out, make friends on forums or with people who also use gamechat, you still can oarty chat isnt being forced is it?
>
> Back in Halo 2 if you did a ranked match and your team had mics while the other team didn’t you knew you won before the game even started. Communication to me is essential for a good game.
>
> To you maybe, not to the marjority of XBL who find these kind if lobbies/servers/playlists annoying. You arent being forced into party chat are you, so why should we when we woukd more than likely not do what you think would happen and ruin nit only your experience but ours as well all because you think it should be mandatory? Thats stupid most people hate it and games in ranked in halo 3 were played fine without it and non verbal communication is used most of the time, and how do you know that people would immediately want to speak about the game and not other things, and how do you know that people in larty chat rent communicating with their friends uniterrupted in several larties across the team towards the team effort? Exactly you dont. Its not needed and dont act like the choice isnt there because it is for what you want.
>
> In someways 343 alleviated some of the need for communication due to having indicators(not a fan) of weapons spawns
>
> I never said things like weapon locators, I meant like the X when someone has died, the bright bullet or the moisture trails of where the person who killed him hides etc. its all been done in game which works fine for the majority.
>
> and always showing the flag location. However, in a very close game when the game is almost over its nice to say their is a crouching sword/shotgun/rocket user waiting around the corner.
>
> Yes and most people wont take notice anyway and if they do they wont tell you that since they dont want to talk, not everyone is like you where they want to talk to others who they may get into an argument with etc.
>
> At the very least their needs to be an option to search for games that only use in game chat.

> > > > All the following is targeted at the general audience, not anyone in particular.
> > > >
> > > > No. Absolutely not. I spend 95% of my time in party chat because I don’t enjoy being insulted and/or harassed simply for being a girl or other stupid things. Taking that option away from me will pretty much guarantee that I will never play those playlists, ever.
> > > >
> > > > And before someone tries to say it’s not a problem, all I’m going to say is that unless you are a girl and have been on the receiving end, you really can’t judge that. YOU might not be insulting or harassing to girls but I can promise you that the majority of XBL is not like you.
> > >
> > > I can respect that xbox live or any online community can have its problems, but there is a solution to your issue without using party chat.
> > >
> > > If you think you will be harassed you could always just unplug your mic or have it off by default. If its plugged in, but you aren’t speaking nobody will know what gender you are or what you sound like. For the users that may be annoying you can mute them specifically.
> >
> > Sure. I could. But then I’m still not communicating with the team, right? So what’s the difference? So I can sit around and be in a party, and actually enjoy my time playing, or I can sit with no mic and no one to talk to. Man. Sounds like SO much fun.
>
> What about my perspective? It is SO fun to be in a game where you can’t communicate with your team. From my personal experience a player that can’t communicate or at least hear the team is dead weight and might as well be an AI bot. The OP said in reference to ranked games where people are generally more serious and want to improve. If you want to get better at any sort of organized activity that involves teams communication is needed.

Not really since they may be communicating with each other and besides they might’n want to talk to you and your ruining their chances to talk to friends, heck I havnt even mention cross game chat in any of my posts.

Oh they dont speak instantly AI, this is a stupid perspective given what Ive said and how they may not need the communication like you so badly need, they are the majority and just because they play ranked doesnt mean they need or want communication, at least with strangers.

They can add it, if they don’t mind that me and my friends will not play ranked if that ever happens. I refuse to go back to the days of dealing with 12 year olds and -Yoinks!- in any mode like in H3 before party chat was invented.