Balancing Tactical packages

Let’s sit down and look at the Tactical packages of Halo 4, opinions, ideas how to balance them, your experience using and doing battle against them. The idea of balancing these are mostly for fights, which is the key aspect we’ll be looking at.

Note: If your only opinion is to remove tactical packages, and other aspects of Halo 4, please do not even comment. This thread is not for you. Please express your opinions in a different thread, here we are trying to balance the current sand box with tools we’ve been given. I ask that all people participating in the thread to ignore anyone who is not being constructive.

Shield Package-

Effect: Increases how fast one’s shields are restored
Combat/balance impact: Moderate

It’s a good pick up, but not going to save you in a fire fight, unless you are strafing and dodging like a boss or your opponent sucks at shooting. What it will do is make sure you’re ready for your next fight and makes it difficult for someone to kill you even though you’ve just had a fight. I’m not sure how I feel about this package. It seems strong on paper, but in practice I feel like it’s only useful sometimes or when I’m being an absolute boss/lagging.

Fix: Unsure needs more data/opinions.

Waypoints Opinion and Fix:

Firepower -

Effect: Allows the user to spawn with two primary weapons
Combat/balance impact: Low

Usually people will go with a precision and automatic combo, and most people will usually pick one of them up off a dead opponent (or at least I do). I feel like this is a fair package.

Fix: Good as is.

Mobility -

Effect: Allows Unlimited sprint
Combat/Balance impact: Low to medium

How you see this is really on your opinion on sprint. I personally find this to be the worst of the tactical packages that you can take. Sprinting is great for objective modes like CTF and Oddball, but absolutely useless and will more likely than not get you killed in a fire fight.

Fix: Good as is on a well designed map and non objective modes.

Fast track-
Effect: Allows user to gain more XP
Combat/Balance Impact: None

Does nothing for you in a fire fight.

Grenadier-

Effect: Increase starting capacity of grenades by +1
Combat/balance impact: Low

I don’t really think this is that big of an issue. Another grenade may or may not be useful depending on the player.

Fix: None. Good as is.

Fix:

Resupply-
Effect: Allows users to pick up loadout grenades off of dead bodies.
Combat/Balance Impact: Low

I would be more inclined to grab this one if a player could pick up plasmas and pulse grenades off of bodies, but alas you can’t do that unless the user has picked them up across the map. I can’t decide how much of an edge this gives a player in combat. With this you never have to worry about not having that grenade ready, but many of us fight without grenades all the time. So I feel like it’s well balanced and in a good place.

Fix: Fine as is.

Requisition-
Effect: Allows players to “re-roll” an ordnance drop.
Combat/Balance Impact: Medium

I personally don’t like ordnances, I don’t find them imbalanced, but I just don’t like the idea of someone being rewarded more for beating a dead horse. With that being said this package is only useable on infinity play settings. I feel like 343i should have taken a D&D approach to this one. In D&D when a player gets an ability that lets them “Re-roll” a roll usually they take the worse of the two. Now in Halo 4 that’s pure opinion, but I would make the second roll have a higher probability of giving grenades, needler, speed boost etc. And the chance to get a power weapon dropping drastically.

Fix: Reduce the chance of getting a power weapon on the second roll and increase the chance of getting grenades/needler etc.

Wheelman-
Effect: Increase the durability of your vehicles as well as how they are effected by EMP blasts
Combat/Balance impact: Low

I haven’t really seen this too much (I don’t play too much Big team battle) , but what I’ve gathered is that it’s not the greatest ability. I need conformation though, but if it’s effects aren’t too good then it’ll need a buff. Like I said I can’t tell if people are using a hyperbole or if they’re being honest about it’s functionality.

Fix: Unable to comment/need more observations and experience. Possible buff needed.

AA Efficacy-
Effect: Decrease the cool down of your AA
Combat/Balance impact: Medium

The usefulness of this package is really dependent on how much you use armor abilities, and which one you’re going to use. I’m personally a fan of this and Regen field, which is a nasty combo for various usefulness. I can see it easily being abused with Active Camo and Promethean vision though. I feel like balancing this will not really lie within the package, but with armor abilities.

> Let’s sit down and look at the Tactical packages of Halo 4, opinions, ideas how to balance them, your experience using and doing battle against them. The idea of balancing these are mostly for fights, which is the key aspect we’ll be looking at.
>
> Note: If your only opinion is to remove tactical packages, and other aspects of Halo 4, please do not even comment. This thread is not for you. Please express your opinions in a different thread, here we are trying to balance the current sand box with tools we’ve been given. I ask that all people participating in the thread to ignore anyone who is not being constructive.
>
>
>
> Shield Package-
>
> Effect: Increases how fast one’s shields are restored
> Combat/balance impact: Moderate
>
> It’s a good pick up, but not going to save you in a fire fight, unless you are strafing and dodging like a boss or your opponent sucks at shooting. What it will do is make sure you’re ready for your next fight and makes it difficult for someone to kill you even though you’ve just had a fight. I’m not sure how I feel about this package. It seems strong on paper, but in practice I feel like it’s only useful sometimes or when I’m being an absolute boss/lagging.
>
> Fix: Unsure needs more data/opinions.
>
> Waypoints Opinion and Fix:

The only perk that doesn’t really give you an advantage. The amount of time shieldingrecharges quicker compared to default shields is useless. But if you lower the time you risk the perk breaking gameplay.

> Grenadier-
>
> Effect: Increases the amount of damage and decrease the amount of damage you do to a player with grenades.
> Combat/balance impact: High
>
> This is one of the packages I have a HUGE problem with. With it grenades become far more powerful then the vanilla load out. It takes them back to the level of Reach grenades, which I was not a fan of. It also creates a major difference when playing against someone who doesn’t have the package equipped. I don’t really have an issue with the reduced damage, but the increased damage does not seemed balanced to me.
>
> Fix: Reduce the amount of damage the grenades deal when the package is equipped. Maybe also decrease the damage reduction, but I need more data/opinions before analyzing that one.
>

Grenadier is fine. Nades are not that powerful that it breaks the game if someone has 3 frags instead of 2. Also it is so rare to pick up grenades in this game because they are not laying around you hardly have a full 3 grenades at one time.

>
> Requisition-
> Effect: Allows players to “re-roll” an ordnance drop.
> Combat/Balance Impact: Medium
>
> I personally don’t like ordnances, I don’t find them imbalanced, but I just don’t like the idea of someone being rewarded more for beating a dead horse. With that being said this package is only useable on infinity play settings. I feel like 343i should have taken a D&D approach to this one. In D&D when a player gets an ability that lets them “Re-roll” a roll usually they take the worse of the two. Now in Halo 4 that’s pure opinion, but I would make the second roll have a higher probability of giving grenades, needler, speed boost etc. And the chance to get a power weapon dropping drastically.
>
> Fix: Reduce the chance of getting a power weapon on the second roll and increase the chance of getting grenades/needler etc.
>

Requisition is fine. You sacrifice one perk just so that you can cycle once per ordnance. The weight of getting strong weapons is pretty low as it is it balances the perk. By doing what you suggested would make the perk useless.

Perks in this game are really balanced well. There are no game breaking or OP perks. 343 did a really good job. I wouldn’t change anything with them.

> Grenadier-
>
> Effect: Increases the amount of damage and decrease the amount of damage you do to a player with grenades.
> Combat/balance impact: High
>
> This is one of the packages I have a HUGE problem with. With it grenades become far more powerful then the vanilla load out. It takes them back to the level of Reach grenades, which I was not a fan of. It also creates a major difference when playing against someone who doesn’t have the package equipped. I don’t really have an issue with the reduced damage, but the increased damage does not seemed balanced to me.
>
> Fix: Reduce the amount of damage the grenades deal when the package is equipped. Maybe also decrease the damage reduction, but I need more data/opinions before analyzing that one.

Explosives. that is a support upgrade and what increases grenade damage not Grenadier. Grenadier increases the starting and max carring capacity of all grenades by 1.

-takes out perks- fixed

Grenadier (actually called explosives which support upgrade) should only reduce damage done to you by grenades, it should not increase damage done by grenades.

Grenadier gives you 1 extra grenade with your loadout. that is fine as it is.

I like your analysis. You should do one for support upgrades.

I miss the good ole days when people complained about real issues instead of making non issues into actual issues.

this balance thing also entertains me. Life is not fair, deal with it. I do not feel I need to have any tactical/support perk active to be competitive with anyone else.

The “Explosives” SUPPORT Package that you mistook Grenadier for…only increases the BLAST RADIUS and decreases nade damage received. foes NOTHING to how much nade damage YOU do to OTHERS.

And Resupply I find to be VERY useful as I use nades quite often, so instead of only having 2 per life, I can run over someones dead body and pick up their unused nades.