Bad matching system

https://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Career/HaloReach/GameHistory?gamerTag=goobot#!/?game=1071618680&section=Unknown

Reach isn’t very good at paring people on their skill. This happens quite often…

I know what you mean. I was still new to Halo online when I was matched against and Inheritor and the following three ranks under it. Needless to say iw was the rape of the century.

Any matchmaking system can only do so much. Searching on skill is only effective if players of similar skill to yours, who also want similar skilled opponents, and are on the same playlist, happen to be doing that too.

I think the game tries to put similar teams. It counted Youngstar as a negative, but couldn’t account for negative guests, which is why you wound up in an unbalanced match.

Still unless millions of players play on a consistent basis, the matchmaking system can only do so much. My advice if you’re actually looking for a balanced match, is to stay the hell away from BTB.

I know what you mean.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Career/HaloReach/GameHistory#/?game=1055659668&section=Competitive

This system is insane. INSAAAANE. It was 2 on 2. My friend and I vs…2 bungie employees? Unfair. Thats the only word to describe it. UUUUUNFAIRNESS.

I can’t remember the last time I had a close game in default Reach…

How do you know they were Bungie employees?

> This system is insane. INSAAAANE. It was 2 on 2. My friend and I vs…2 bungie employees? Unfair. Thats the only word to describe it. UUUUUNFAIRNESS.

Bungie Nameplate =/= Bungie Employees.

A few weeks before Bungie Day 2011, Bungie allowed any one to unlock it.

Yes I agree the system is occasionally unfair though, it is a cycle, It was unfair to me but when i got good at around Captain( i’m Colonel now )It became unfair to lower ranks against me

If you want it to be more accurate though in psych profile you can change preferences one of which is similar skill.

> https://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Career/HaloReach/GameHistory?gamerTag=goobot#!/?game=1071618680&section=Unknown
>
> Reach isn’t very good at paring people on their skill. This happens quite often…

I thought it was pretty much understood by everyone that Reach’s skill matching is EXTREMELY LOW compared to Halo 2 & 3.

also I believe it is on skill not rank as some inheritors aren’t even good, they’ve just been playing forever

> > This system is insane. INSAAAANE. It was 2 on 2. My friend and I vs…2 bungie employees? Unfair. Thats the only word to describe it. UUUUUNFAIRNESS.
>
> Bungie Nameplate =/= Bungie Employees.
>
> A few weeks before Bungie Day 2011, Bungie allowed any one to unlock it.

Thank you i did not know whether they were actually from bungie

Rank doesn’t mean anything, besides how much time you’ve put forth into Halo. If you’re ever intimidated by someone that is a higher rank then you, take a look at their kills over deaths for their matchmaking career. That’s usually how i judge whether a player is skilled or not.

If you look though, although the skill levels may have been way off, because of new acounts. You had 2 people on your team with a * for their BPR. If trueskill matches off of that, then your BPR is pretty much negated by them having nothing. So according to BPR the game on paper looks even. I could do the math for the average BPR of each team, but it won’t come out right cause of the guest accounts.

> If you look though, although the skill levels may have been way off, because of new acounts. You had 2 people on your team with a * for their BPR. If trueskill matches off of that, then your BPR is pretty much negated by them having nothing. So according to BPR the game on paper looks even. I could do the math for the average BPR of each team, but it won’t come out right cause of the guest accounts.

No, just no.

BPR is nothing more than a number that is calculated by stats. It is never used to match players and it is rarely a good indication of skill.

While reach technically uses trueskill, it is so relaxed that it might as well use nothing. It is even more relaxed than Halo 3 social. That is why players like me rarely if ever get good games. Just hundreds of games in a row where me and my team vastly out skill our opponents.

> > If you look though, although the skill levels may have been way off, because of new acounts. You had 2 people on your team with a * for their BPR. If trueskill matches off of that, then your BPR is pretty much negated by them having nothing. So according to BPR the game on paper looks even. I could do the math for the average BPR of each team, but it won’t come out right cause of the guest accounts.
>
> No, just no.
>
> BPR is nothing more than a number that is calculated by stats. It is never used to match players and it is rarely a good indication of skill.
>
> While reach technically uses trueskill, it is so relaxed that it might as well use nothing. It is even more relaxed than Halo 3 social. That is why players like me rarely if ever get good games. Just hundreds of games in a row where me and my team vastly out skill our opponents.

So what system do they use to track trueskill?

If someone just started an account, their “trueskill” is going to be low, even if they are good players on a 2nd account. If you have 2 people with a high true skill and two with 0 you’ll end up with an average in the middle. Against a team with a middle zone trueskill it evens out.

I blame the community, they complained that Halo 3 took too long sometimes to make a game and now you got Reach with its eased Trueskill system. But you can kind of fix that by changing it to look for skill under you matchmaking preferences.

“But you can kind of fix that by changing it to look for skill under you matchmaking preferences.” - Posted

Not true at all. I use the skill setting only if I want easy games where I destroy my opponents. Reach’s matching system is flawed. But, this is something we already know.

I hate the matching system. The other players in the lobby are always below average (I consider myself a little above average), or have godly stats.
And I search with all filters on all the time.