Awesome FORGE/CUSTOM idea: Special Trait Zones.

Hi Halo Waypoint. This is my first thread here so if this is in the wrong category kindly let me know.

A concept which I have a great desire to see implemented either in Reach via Title Update or in Halo 4 is a “Special Trait Zone” option that can be configured in Forge. Put simply, the Special Trait Zone, which I will refer to as a STZ, is a designated section of the map that grants players inside special customized traits.

You create the STZ in Forge anywhere on the map in the exact same way you create the boundaries of a Hill, Teleporter, or Kill Zone. You can set the boundaries of the STZ to be invisible, or visible and choose a color.

After creating the STZ, you can go into Advanced Options while highlighting the STZ object and choose the special traits for the players inside. These traits can be anything that can (currently) be granted with a custom powerup or in custom games options. The effects can be bonuses or drawbacks.

Each STZ can be toggled to affect only humans or only zombies or both, only Spartans or only Elites or both, only blue guys or only red guys or both, only people in vehicles or only people on foot or both, and so on.

STZs can be stacked. If one zone grants players 150% movement speed and another grants players 50% gravity and they overlap, players in the overlapping section of the zones get both 150% movement speed and 50% gravity.

The possibilities opened up by Special Trait Zones for custom maps are LITERALLY LIMITLESS. Think of all the different player modifiers already available in Halo Reach… your zone can give players 300% movement speed, 25% movement speed, super high jumps, no jumping, can’t use vehicles, can’t pick up weapons, unlimited ammo or bottomless clip, no shields, invincibility, faster or slower recharging shields, forced color, active camo, can’t use AAs, unlimited AA use, increased or decreased weapon or melee damage or resistance, immunity to headshots, and more…

STZs could let you totally change the way map control works. They could provide great incentives to attract or threaten players, or to make things even more interesting, both.

Imagine a direct bridge between your base and the enemy’s flag that lets you run across at 300% speed but makes you have no shields, and you can’t bail out halfway because you can’t jump while on the bridge – because it’s covered by three STZs that give you each of these traits.

Or imagine a small patch of land with a super tall vertical STZ that gives you 10% gravity that you could jump in to use as a grav lift, or land in without taking fall damage.

Or imagine a STZ that grants you complete invincibility but you deal no damage while inside, like a kind of permanent stationary Drop Shield.

Or imagine in Slayer, there’s a round STZ around your base that gives everyone on your team - but not enemies - 150% faster shield recharging. Spawn camping is now impossible.

Or imagine… never mind, I could do this all day! What do you think, 343 and HW people? The Special Trait Zone concept uses stuff that is pretty much already in the game so it might be possible and even easy to set up.

Edit… Just thought of something else. Since the code exists to attach a Hill to a vehicle in KotH games, it could be possible to attach a STZ to a vehicle too.

Talk about infinite possibilities for ridiculously fun customization…

What would happen if you attached two STZs to a Ghost with small enough radii to just surround it and a meter or so in front, one that makes everyone invincible and one that makes everyone have 10% gravity? A splatter attempt would catapult people across the map, alive! You could use it to propel your own team around like an insane Halo 3 Grifball launch.

You could attach a very large STZ to a single Mongoose in a Slayer game that grants all players some big bonus, then make vehicles indestructable in custom settings, and then the entire game will be about your team keeping that Mongoose.

Sounds good. surprised.

/Sign

343, get to it.

343 put one in the Green Lift Room of Swordbase, have them no shields and no damage

I like it…a lot

343!!! Read this Thread!!!

This would be awesome for creating new gametypes/

Welcome to the Forums, my friend :slight_smile:

This is a very good idea actually. It would certainly bring in some interesting options for multiplayer.

Also, to add on to your idea, may I suggest that you can also create the option so that while you are in this zone, you get an atmosphere similar to outer space, like on the multiplayer maps Anchor 9 and Condemned where you cannot hear very well and the gravity is lowered, and any object within the area like a crate for example will float around. This would allow players to create proper enviroments which give the feeling of being in outer space.

> Welcome to the Forums, my friend :slight_smile:
>
> This is a very good idea actually. It would certainly bring in some interesting options for multiplayer.
>
> Also, to add on to your idea, may I suggest that you can also create the option so that while you are in this zone, you get an atmosphere similar to outer space, like on the multiplayer maps Anchor 9 and Condemned where you cannot hear very well and the gravity is lowered, and any object within the area like a crate for example will float around. This would allow players to create proper enviroments which give the feeling of being in outer space.

That would be very cool, but I don’t think the coding for true low gravity exists in either the custom player trait options or the map data for Forge World. The outer space physics and effects were built specifically for Anchor 9 and Condemned. Everything I’ve suggested so far is based on patching together stuff that’s already in the game.

The pieces are already in place. They just have to extend the concept from haven zone to any game type and add the additional properties.

> > Welcome to the Forums, my friend :slight_smile:
> >
> > This is a very good idea actually. It would certainly bring in some interesting options for multiplayer.
> >
> > Also, to add on to your idea, may I suggest that you can also create the option so that while you are in this zone, you get an atmosphere similar to outer space, like on the multiplayer maps Anchor 9 and Condemned where you cannot hear very well and the gravity is lowered, and any object within the area like a crate for example will float around. This would allow players to create proper enviroments which give the feeling of being in outer space.
>
> That would be very cool, but I don’t think the coding for true low gravity exists in either the custom player trait options or the map data for Forge World. The outer space physics and effects were built specifically for Anchor 9 and Condemned. Everything I’ve suggested so far is based on patching together stuff that’s already in the game.

Perhaps it’s not possible in Halo: Reach, but I don’t think there is anything stopping it from being in Forge 3.0 which should hopefully be in Halo 4 :slight_smile:

Maybe. But I’d like to keep this grounded in the reality of Reach. I’m more interested in what can happen in the next few months, not 2 years from now.

Just thought of something else. Since the code exists to attach a Hill to a vehicle in KotH games, it could be possible to attach a STZ to a vehicle too.

Talk about infinite possibilities for ridiculously fun customization…

What would happen if you attached two STZs to a Ghost with small enough radii to just surround it and a meter or so in front, one that makes everyone invincible and one that makes everyone have 10% gravity? A splatter attempt would catapult people across the map, alive! You could use it to propel your own team around like an insane Halo 3 Grifball launch.

You could attach a very large STZ to a single Mongoose in a Slayer game that grants all players some big bonus, then make vehicles indestructable in custom settings, and then the entire game will be about your team keeping that Mongoose on your side, for a portable yet stealable powerup.

Welcome :slight_smile:

Sounds like a cool idea, sooo many Ideas spring to mind…

do want

Another idea I just came up with would be if you could set a STZ zone to the Scorpion. But the STZ is slightly bigger, thus allowing people to walk along beside the Scorpion, this would make the Scorpion quite weak, but the people walking beside it super strong. This would be good for gametypes that require someone to carry a bomb somewhere or VIP.

> Another idea I just came up with would be if you could set a STZ zone to the Scorpion. But the STZ is slightly bigger, thus allowing people to walk along beside the Scorpion, this would make the Scorpion quite weak, but the people walking beside it super strong. This would be good for gametypes that require someone to carry a bomb somewhere or VIP.

I don’t think there’s any way to change the traits of a vehicle, but a Zone attached to a vehicle could change the traits of its operator or people around it.

Looks like the same crap that crippled the ability of the community to make any meaningful input that leads to real change on Bungie.net has arrived here.

People are flooding this forum with garbage posts requesting Forge options that are either silly and meaningless (ambient wildlife, moving forklifts, civilian vehicles, emblem on the Monitor) or overly ambitious and impractical (brand new vehicles and weapons, forge “galaxies”, covenant architecture, AIs).

Do you realize the Title Update is coming in less than two months and 343 is looking to the community for ideas, and they’ll overlook the ideas that are useful and feasible if you clutter the forum with crap?

I actually liked this T,T Bungie mentioned weather effects and a “despawn” time at some point… like you could set things to disappear after a set amount of time… so you could place a wall that would despawn after 10 seconds but would respawn once every 5 seconds… or you know… w.e it could be helpful in infection maps or something… sorry… I think OP had a really good idea and that this alone would make maps in general 10x more creative. Games would be altered on a huge scale… I love it.

> I actually liked this T,T Bungie mentioned weather effects and a “despawn” time at some point… like you could set things to disappear after a set amount of time… so you could place a wall that would despawn after 10 seconds but would respawn once every 5 seconds… or you know… w.e it could be helpful in infection maps or something… sorry… I think OP had a really good idea and that this alone would make maps in general 10x more creative. Games would be altered on a huge scale… I love it.

That’s a nifty idea too but completely off topic. This thread is about something that would be easy and possible to implement if only 343 takes notice.