automatics need more kick in 'em

Everyone knows it by now, the automatic weapons have dramatically become under-powered (with the exception of the needler, which some arguably believe it to be ‘overpowered’.

The needler aside, look at a generic slayer match from reach, in you loadouts you occasionally have a choice; go with the AR or DMR. wanna know which one people always pick? The DMR…that isn’t to say the DMR should be tweeked instead 343 should change the AR. The DMR does great in the amount of bullets fired prior to reload, close combat, mid-ranged, sometimes even from afar! And don’t even bother with ammo, cuz of the loadouts you bound to find an enemy with one or you’ll ammo yourself. where the DMR achieves great success, the AR lacks. even in campaign or FF its generally not the favored weapon to get you any kill streak. you’ll be lucky to kill anyone with it.

Now you maybe wondering how is this relevant to halo 4? Well, I for one don’t know if the AR is going to make a return in the game(which I hope not, due to the tedious constant sense of remaking things that occur in the halo universe). But for the sake of all Automatics, new or old I just hope they get not a little buffed up, but rather dramatically buffed.

If they follow the fiction then the AR will be in Halo 4 since Chief put away his AR next to his cryo-tank during the Halo 3 ending.

Either way, I think it’ll show up for the sake of identity. The AR is a weapon that is easily relatable to the Halo franchise.

I’m hoping for a tweak to the AR as well. I still think CE handled the AR the best.

If they want Halo 4 to be more like Halo CE It will probably be making a return. The MA5 has been turned into an underpowered piece of equipment and yes, people tend to turn their attention towards the DMR instead. Definitely needs more kick and even a larger clip size. That’s one of the reason marines suck, they’re always using the MA5 and do no damage to enemies.

agreed, the AR is iconic to HALO now, and it needs to hold its title

I totally agree. The AR in Reach feels like a pea-shooter. In Anniversary I remembered how strong and powerful that AR felt.

> I totally agree. The AR in Reach feels like a pea-shooter. In Anniversary I remembered how strong and powerful that AR felt.

Agreed %100. The Halo 3 AR was even worse. Let us hope that they get it down pat this time.

No, they’re easier to aim and are there for the lesser skilled players. They shouldn’t be able to out gun precision weapons if the precision weapon is used well. That’s the entire balance of the game.

> No, they’re easier to aim and are there for the lesser skilled players. They shouldn’t be able to out gun precision weapons if the precision weapon is used well. That’s the entire balance of the game.

The DMR has more range. The AR would have more kick but have less range as in Halo CE and thus still be out done by precision weapons for distance shooting.

An inexperienced DMR user should not kill a some-what experienced AR user at his respective range but an experienced DMR user should kill an some-what experienced AR user at his respective range.

i agree the ar is my main weapon

> > No, they’re easier to aim and are there for the lesser skilled players. They shouldn’t be able to out gun precision weapons if the precision weapon is used well. That’s the entire balance of the game.
>
> The DMR has more range. The AR would have more kick but have less range as in Halo CE and thus still be out done by precision weapons for distance shooting.

In every halo game the spray weapons have been beaten out by the precision weapons(if used well) at any range. That’s the way it should be.

> In every halo game the spray weapons have been beaten out by the precision weapons(if used well) at any range. That’s the way it should be.

No, at close quarters the AR should be a weapon to be taken seriously. Not some underpowered weapon that is useless and thus people prefer any other weapon then the AR. It was a weapon to be reckoned with in Halo CE up close because even though inaccurate it had kick as an assault rifle should do.

So you’re saying at close range a DMR would beat a shotgun wielding opponent because it’s a precision weapon. I’m afraid within the shotgun’s range 3/4 of the time it would win against any precision weapon up close and so should the AR. Precision weapons are made for medium and long distance and spray weapons for short and medium range. If you underpowered the AR so much that even in its respective range you’re likely to lose 3/4 of the time then something is wrong with the weapon.

The AR just needs some more kick to bring back the Halo CE feel of the weapon. It was so much more satisfying to reload and shoot that weapon in close quarters even though it sprayed liked hell.

> > In every halo game the spray weapons have been beaten out by the precision weapons(if used well) at any range. That’s the way it should be.
>
> No, at close quarters the AR should be a weapon to be taken seriously. Not some underpowered weapon that is useless and thus people prefer any other weapon then the AR. It was a weapon to be reckoned with in Halo CE up close because even though inaccurate it had kick as an assault rifle should do.
>
> So you’re saying at close range a DMR would beat a shotgun wielding opponent because it’s a precision weapon. I’m afraid within the shotgun’s range 3/4 of the time it would win against any precision weapon up close and so should the AR. Precision weapons are made for medium and long distance and spray weapons for short and medium range. If you underpowered the AR so much that even in its respective range you’re likely to lose 3/4 of the time then something is wrong with the weapon.
>
> The AR just needs some more kick to bring back the Halo CE feel of the weapon. It was so much more satisfying to reload and shoot that weapon in close quarters even though it sprayed liked hell.

The AR was fine in every game. It can easily get kills in close but was bested by precision weapons if the user hit all or close to all of his shots. The only problem the AR has in Reach is that bloom allows the DMR to become a close range spray weapon. Without bloom(and an actual game wide damage adjustment) it would all be good.

Shotgun is a power weapon. It should dominate it’s niche. The AR is not a power weapon.

> The AR was fine in every game. It can easily get kills in close but was bested by precision weapons if the user hit all or close to all of his shots. The only problem the AR has in Reach is that bloom allows the DMR to become a close range spray weapon. Without bloom(and an actual game wide damage adjustment) it would all be good.
>
> Shotgun is a power weapon. It should dominate it’s niche. The AR is not a power weapon.

If you’re wielding an AR you aren’t going to survive long against your opponents. Giving the AR some more damage isn’t going to unbalance the game, if anything it’ll mean that it can hold its own in a fight instead of getting owned continuously as it has been since Halo 3. Return the weapon to its roots and former glory, just with more accuracy this time around. The AR now acts more like an SMG with a small clip size; good for peppering opponents and that’s all.

> > The AR was fine in every game. It can easily get kills in close but was bested by precision weapons if the user hit all or close to all of his shots. The only problem the AR has in Reach is that bloom allows the DMR to become a close range spray weapon. Without bloom(and an actual game wide damage adjustment) it would all be good.
> >
> > Shotgun is a power weapon. It should dominate it’s niche. The AR is not a power weapon.
>
> If you’re wielding an AR you aren’t going to survive long against your opponents. Giving the AR some more damage isn’t going to unbalance the game, if anything it’ll mean that it can hold its own in a fight instead of getting owned continuously as it has been since Halo 3. Return the weapon to its roots and former glory, just with more accuracy this time around. The AR now acts more like an SMG with a small clip size; good for peppering opponents and that’s all.

It will break the game because bad players will be able to kill good players. Good player vs good player the AR situation is fine. In close range the AR wins most of the time, and if not, good for that guy for hitting all his shots. If I want to be guaranteed a close range victory I should have picked up a close range niche weapon like a shotgun, mauler, sword, hammer etc.

The HCE AR and the H3 AR had the same relationships to their respective weapon sandboxes. Yes, the HCE AR was stronger than it’s H3 counterpart, but the HCE pistol was also more powerful than the H3 BR.

Shredder Rounds pickup for the Assault Rifle?

Every weapon in Halo 4 needs to be designed to be effective within its niche using bullets alone. The Problem with many of the weapons in Halo 2/3 is that they were designed with dual wielding in mind rather than being effective weapons on their own. The same goes for the AR because it was designed to be used in conjuntion with grenades and melee.

I hope that 343 works on designing weapons that work well on their own before they take other game mechanics such as grenades, melee, or dual wielding into account.

Utility weapons such as a BR should always be more powerfull then an automatic weapon because utility weapons take way more SKILL.

OK, lets stop and hold up a second…forget comparing the AR to the DMR. Just compare the plasma repeater to the…erm…pistol?
Oh wait…our poor plasma repeater,which is an automatic still gets it butt kicked…Left and right you guys can’t deny the fact automatics need more kick. So what if I am an experienced or new player, by choosing an automatic I should be hiding in the corner and cowering from my fearless opponents just 'cuz they’ve got a bigger clip.

I would definitly like to see the automatic weapons get a buff for Halo 4 like maybe they could upgrade the AR to be more LMG like so that it would be much more effective for close range combat then the precision weapons.