automatic headshots

im not sure why in this game an unshielded headshot from certain guns deals instant death, (such as a dmr) while with other guns there is no difference between shooting an unshielded target in the head as there is the foot. (such as an AR).

why not give all guns a headshot damage boost? im not saying make the AR instantly kill with a single unshielded headshot, but come on make a headshot worth 2-3 in the body.

this would make shooting at the head a good strategy with guns currently unable to headshot, and be a smart balancing buff to these sorts of guns as well. it makes perfect sense too, an AR bullet or a strom rifle plasma glob is going to hurt more if it hits you in the head vs the hand.

I do think it’s strange that automatics seem to ignore the head. While it would make sense for it to happen, it would ruin the balance aspect of autos vs precision.

It should behave with the insta-kill headshot, but it would not give you the metal or the commendation.

its always been like this in halo, if you want a auto weapon that scores a headshot then you will be disappointed. You could use the battle rifle, thats quite fast firing. if none of this helps im sorry mate.

Personally, if I were given reins on how the balancing of this game works (or in future Halo games), I would:

1. Give all human weapons and penetrative-based weapons a headshot multiplier. For example, a magnum and shotgun fire rounds designed to penetrate armor and skin, dealing damage beneath. A plasma pistol does not, instead working off burning the skin and flesh away, heat-based, not like a bullet. To balance this, I would power up the plasma weapons and others not affected enough on post-shield damage to compensate.

2. Make all base precision weapons have a headshot damage that results in exactly 100% Health damage, meaning that if extra health is added, another shot will be required.

3. Give the automatic weapons that apply with point 1 a significant increase to damage on a headshot, making “aiming” to the head or closing in a little more valuable than simple “Spray and pray” at mid-close. This would have the knock-on of reducing the threat of melee attacks and the dreaded double-melee.

4)Make a plasma pistol overcharge deal about 75% of someones health. It’s a superheated ball of energy flying at someones face and EMPs shields, not a water pistol that short circuits electrics. It should at least be possible to kill someone who isn’t suffering from an epileptic fit with it without someone holding you hand with it. Small wonder it’s so rare to see the commendation for them done.

1. Increase the accuracy and overall damage of assault rifles to allow them to compete with precision users properly at the mid-range mark, instead of the current (and even updated) “oh, I’m in melee, I’m dead. Oh, I’m at range, I’m dead.” Assault rifles have to compete with more power weapons and vehicles, so they should be the more effective weapons, especially considering that they cannot be used at long range, while precision weapons can be used anywhere (up to insane distances where only a sniper can potentially stop them).

2. Reduce the number of sticky grenades available to the player. A skilled player can pretty much render any enemy with a power weapon that isn’t a sniper rifle useless if they are a good throw. With no way of preventing a sticky death, melee power weapons and most vehicles are more comedical approaches than deadly. Shotguns have to work in melee to win, and unless you want to promote corner camping, you have to limit the at-spawn weapons that end them before they can be put to use.

3. Buff the damn pulse grenade. If you want it to be a movement restrictor, make it punishing. If you want it to be damaging, then give it damage. But a half-and-half weapon is like giving the sticky detonator a 50% shield damage on impact and only a 125% overall damage from the blast, you have never killing power weapon that requires two shots and wastes enough time using that you would usually be better off using footwork and field-ingenuity instead.

4. Give the Railgun more ammo. Seriously, it’s supposed to be half-rocket, half- splaser, but it lacks the appealing features. It’s just a poor man’s rocket launcher. Rockets get equal shots, but two in a mag and more firepower, plus tracking. If not ammo, then give it something to work with. Hell, a scope with a trajectory system, or kill-zone airburst would be nice for future reference.

And that would be a good days work. Well, maybe a months work getting it working.

I would like to see some weapons get more unique traits overall(AR Headshots, Storm Rifle stun, etc.).

The Plasma Rifle in CE actually did extra headshot damage, taking a few less shots to kill when aiming at the head after shields popped. Why this never returned in later games, especially with how accurate the automatics are now with bloom.

I think in CE, the Plasma Rifle applied a little extra damage if the shot was to the head, but it was taken out in future games for some reason. :confused:

> I would like to see some weapons get more unique traits overall(AR Headshots, Storm Rifle stun, etc.).
>
> The Plasma Rifle in CE actually did extra headshot damage, taking a few less shots to kill when aiming at the head after shields popped. Why this never returned in later games, especially with how accurate the automatics are now with bloom.

yea thats an excellent idea. give ballistic, plasma, and hardlight each unique debuffs they apply when hitting targets along with doing damage. i like that. maybe plasma could do extra damage over time from residual heat and lower the unseen max health cap for a life. hardlight could scramble radar and drain AA energy when striking. ballistics could jar targets, throwing off their aim, idk just brainstorming. i like that idea a lot.

I would like to see the Halo automatic weapons be differentiated in some way and have unique attributes. They are all too similar at the moment.

Maybe the AR could do headshot damage and have recoil, the storm rifle/ Plasma Rifle maybe should do more shield damage, and the next forerunner automatic could maybe have a zoom function or something.