Auto Sentry and Thruster Pack Underpowered?

Before I explain why I think these 2 Abilities are UP, I just want to say I love this game and mean no hate. Anyway, here we go…

I recently unlocked these 2 Armour Abilities, and I’m quite disappointed with them. After seeing how good the Thruster Pack is in the Flood mode, I was really disappointed with it in Matchmaking. It only propels you about 1 foot away from where you were, not even half of what it’s like in Flood. I thought of it like Evade from Reach, but it doesn’t even challenge it.

Now on to the Auto Sentry…
Seeing as it’s in the last set of Armour Abilities you can buy, I would expect it to be quite good. I was wrong. As soon as I got it, I went into a custom game to see how many hits it could take. 1 melee, or about 3 bullets with a DMR. First impressions - I can’t believe I used 3 Spartan Points on this. I then went into a Slayer and as soon as I saw someone I used it then just looked at what it did. It fired about 1 bullet every 1.5 seconds or something like that, and it didn’t even seem powerful. And the fact that it doesn’t move just makes it an easy target. After that, I used it and then battles too, and it didn’t help at all. I still managed to die because 1 grenade, that got my shield onto about half, killed it.

As said before, I mean no hate, I just really think these 2 need major improvements. If you have any strategies with them, please tell me them.

I don’t use thruster at all. Do some tests on Auto-Sentry. Does it make a 5 shot kill 4? Honestly you didn’t expect it to be equipped with a binary rifle did you?

Wow, I must be crazy but I just LOVE the BR and Thruster Pack.

Thruster is fine if you know how to use it. I originally thought the same thing then got use to using it and feeling what its good for and what it’s not good for. It’s got me out of quite a few sticky situations now. My favorite ability by far.

The Thruster Pack wrecks in the Flood gametype.

> I don’t use thruster at all. Do some tests on Auto-Sentry. Does it make a 5 shot kill 4? Honestly you didn’t expect it to be equipped with a binary rifle did you?

I will do some tests later, but I honestly think that it will be more than a 5 hit kill. And no, I use the Battle Rifle with it.

I didn’t mean the Auto-Sentry kill time. I mean if it hits the enemy once does it take you one less shot using a primary to kill it? 1 shot can be a huge difference.

Sentries main role is to assist and annoy enemies. I love it and it really helps in objective game types. I have got about 5 MP kills with it, many assists and quite a few distractions. Many times when I am near it and fighting 1v1 with someone it has saved my life. Don’t underestimate it just because it’s weak. If you were attacking someone who had a sentry up you would die most times even if you kill the sentry or player because the other one left would kill you.

> Thruster is fine if you know how to use it. I originally thought the same thing then got use to using it and feeling what its good for and what it’s not good for. It’s got me out of quite a few sticky situations now. My favorite ability by far.

I admit that the thruster isn’t terrible, but it could be better. I admit that it’s quite good at dodging the odd grenade or 2 and you can get to cover faster than normal if the cover is quite close, but if they made it go a bit further it could be used to approach someone if you have a shotgun, rather than escape from bad situations. I do see you’re point, though.

Because it’s unlocked last shouldn’t mean it’s the strongest. Than the playing field would be uneven for new players and that is exactly not what’s intended!

I’ll unlock it later tonight or tommorow and run some tests

Thruster Pack needs a buff in Normal Game Modes. It’s INSANE in Flood tho :wink:

> I didn’t mean the Auto-Sentry kill time. I mean if it hits the enemy once does it take you one less shot using a primary to kill it? 1 shot can be a huge difference.

Oh, ok. Sorry I misread your first post. I think that if it hits someone about twice it would make it one less hit to get a kill. As I said before, I will do some tests later when I go on it.
Another thing, though, is that if you deploy it as soon as you see someone, they can shoot you while you deploy it (because it takes a few seconds). So they will kill you first. And since it doesn’t move, if you deploy it behind a corner it won’t really help until the person goes around it.

I feel to fix the Thruster Pack it needs to either:

1. Move the player further

Or

1. Move the player faster.

It’s rather ineffective as an evade ability. It’s still my favorite though.

Armor abilities aren’t supposed to be game changers. Now before I continue I want to be clear that I am not about to hate on the op.

Thruster pack I agree with you, I miss Evade but for other reasons.

I use Auto Sentry exclusively though, When implemented correctly it can be the difference between winning a losing. It really is just a floating bolt shot but the beauty of it is that that 1 melee or 3 DMR shots that it takes to kill the sentry is 3 bullets or a punch to the face you aren’t soaking up yourself while you’re littering them with bullets… just wanted to make it clear. Just remember not to pull out the Sentry when an enemy is right there looking at you.

Here is a nice little idea though op. Use it as a reverse Hologram. Raise your sentry around the corner. Step out and take some pot shots at an enemy. When they come at you, run back around the corner. it’s a 1 man ambush device.

thruster pack is on par with jetpack and doesn’t need a buff. use it during a dmr challenge and you win… Throws kids off so bad they go into panic mode with their shots.

ive found the auto sentry distracts my opponents more than actually hurts them but thats fine. 2 shots they spend on that is 2 shots not directed at me and thats all the edge i need :slight_smile: i think 343 noticed people whined about the power of armor lock and the power of evade so made the abilities this time round alot less game and fight changing. the most useful power for me is the hologram so far!

Autosentry is only useful for Distraction, and Thruster is worthless. Everybody saying they are so pro at it and they know how to use it unlike everybody else, needs to realize they are playing in pubs where not everybody is a leet player, and sprinting (or walking) would have been just as successful. Because Thruster makes you move about 2 feet.

> Armor abilities aren’t supposed to be game changers. Now before I continue I want to be clear that I am not about to hate on the op.
>
> Thruster pack I agree with you, I miss Evade but for other reasons.
>
> I use Auto Sentry exclusively though, When implemented correctly it can be the difference between winning a losing. It really is just a floating bolt shot but the beauty of it is that that 1 melee or 3 DMR shots that it takes to kill the sentry is 3 bullets or a punch to the face you aren’t soaking up yourself while you’re littering them with bullets… just wanted to make it clear. Just remember not to pull out the Sentry when an enemy is right there looking at you.
>
> Here is a nice little idea though op. Use it as a reverse Hologram. Raise your sentry around the corner. Step out and take some pot shots at an enemy. When they come at you, run back around the corner. it’s a 1 man ambush device.

I’ve got to admit, those are some pretty nice points. I’ll have to try out the reverse hologram tactic later. I’m sure it’ll grow on me eventually.

I don’t know about underpowered but it is definitely lower tiered than I had hoped.
TP in the grand sandbox that isn’t Flood is mean to be just that little extra without being that much extra Evade was.
I too prefer the Flood Pack over the Thruster Pack. I understand why the TP isn’t as powerful as the FP, but as is it is, the TP is only a very subtle addition to combat and not on the same level as the likes of HLS, PV or Jepack for adding a combat layer.
And with saying that, as said the TP is lower tiered AA and not underpowered. It just adds to the last-chance or mabye-if moments where you can escape blast zones if you’re on the edge of them, or you can get behind cover if your 2’ from it but you can sprint. It doesn’t add “float like a butterfly sting like a bee” feelings however.

I would like a tap of the TP to be just as is now but not use up all the fuel. It uses up 3/4 and that other 1/4 would be used by holding the AA button for about 5-8’ more. Recharging takes just a smidge longer with extended burn than regular burn and AA-Efficiency shortens cooltime by about 15% and recharge by about 50%.

I must say it is nice that overall no AA feels like it’s actually useless, but the TP just doesn’t feel empowering like PV, HLS or JP do. I’d even say Hologram and AC about on par with empowerment.

Yes the auto sentry should do more damage.