Auto Mute (or Mute Ban)

I think auto mute should be removed from Halo: Reach, or at least changed. Why? Because it simply isn’t fair to a lot of players. If you play MLG, a lot of teams mute one another so they can’t hear what the others are talking about in-game, if that happens enough the people could end up auto muted in all playlists just because they like the MLG playlist.

I don’t play MLG but I am currently auto muted. Mainly because I am sometimes a jerk on Living Dead and like to mess with people. I don’t do this all the time, and I’m generally a team player. Heck, I’m not even on the mic that often on other playlists or even on living dead, but when I am I would like to be able to communicate with my team and auto mute prevents me from doing that. As I said, I don’t talk much and I don’t play MLG, which means either people just mute others even when they aren’t talking, or it only takes a few mutes in a short amount of time to earn an auto mute.

I think this needs to change. It takes about five seconds to mute an entire game full of people when you’re in a match, and a little longer than that in the lobby since you can’t just hit x to mute, so it’s not a hassle and it’s really relatively easy. I just don’t see the need for auto mute as a feature and I think that if it’s possible 343i should consider removing it in the TU.

I understand that a lot of people get auto muted for screaming into the mic and being a general annoyance for everyone in the game, so I think it would also be perfectly sensible to change it to require more mutes before someone is auto muted. My point is that the system as-is is not balanced and is a real annoyance for anyone who needs to talk to their team.

I know this isn’t very well-written, I’m very tired right now and just did my best to avoid run-on sentences and things like that.

Excellent point, Coverf1re. Auto-mute seems like an unnecessary addition to matchmaking. It takes little to no effort to mute someone, so I don’t see why it is needed.

Mute ban is one of the few additions to Reach that I cannot see any point to.

Perhaps we should start a petition to remove it?

i have never muted anyone since i figured out there is a setting in the menu for “team and party”, are you saying that “pros” cant figure out how to do this and instead mute the other team one by one?

> I think auto mute should be removed from Halo: Reach, or at least changed. Why? Because it simply isn’t fair to a lot of players. If you play MLG, a lot of teams mute one another so they can’t hear what the others are talking about in-game, if that happens enough the people could end up auto muted in all playlists just because they like the MLG playlist.
>
> I don’t play MLG but I am currently auto muted. Mainly because I am sometimes a jerk on Living Dead and like to mess with people. I don’t do this all the time, and I’m generally a team player. Heck, I’m not even on the mic that often on other playlists or even on living dead, but when I am I would like to be able to communicate with my team and auto mute prevents me from doing that. As I said, I don’t talk much and I don’t play MLG, which means either people just mute others even when they aren’t talking, or it only takes a few mutes in a short amount of time to earn an auto mute.
>
> I think this needs to change. It takes about five seconds to mute an entire game full of people when you’re in a match, and a little longer than that in the lobby since you can’t just hit x to mute, so it’s not a hassle and it’s really relatively easy. I just don’t see the need for auto mute as a feature and I think that if it’s possible 343i should consider removing it in the TU.
>
> I understand that a lot of people get auto muted for screaming into the mic and being a general annoyance for everyone in the game, so I think it would also be perfectly sensible to change it to require more mutes before someone is auto muted. My point is that the system as-is is not balanced and is a real annoyance for anyone who needs to talk to their team.
>
>
> I know this isn’t very well-written, I’m very tired right now and just did my best to avoid run-on sentences and things like that.

> i have never muted anyone since i figured out there is a setting in the menu for “team and party”, are you saying that “pros” cant figure out how to do this and instead mute the other team one by one?

In some cases, yes. There are people who just do what you did, but there are a lot more out there who think it’s easier to mute everyone they come across than change one menu setting. Silly, I know, but I’ve come across that logic before and it’s definitely the case for a lot of people.

In reply to another post: It would be awesome if we could get a petition going to get it removed, but right now I seriously have to get to bed. If nothing’s changed by the time I get back on (which I doubt it will have), I’ll start some sort of poll or petition and hopefully we can get it going and get the attention of 343i.

I have my setting to have everyone muted so that I dont have to deal with the over-aggresive hyper competitive obnoxious xbox live gamers…I mean not everyone is like that, but I used to come across people like that a lot since Halo 2

I guess this should actually be in the multiplayer forum, so I’m making a new thread there. Here is the link.

> I guess this should actually be in the multiplayer forum, so I’m making a new thread there. Here is the link: http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/p/19654/150173.aspx#150173
>
> I don’t know how to link it through text, I’m still pretty new to this forum.

Helpful Hints for New Members

Halo Waypoint Forum Rules

Fixed your link, and here’s some others that might be helpful. I agree with your idea. I think mute could possibly be abused and cause others to unjustly be mute banned.

I like to give players the benefit of the doubt, and chose to keep my setting to all players. I only mute individual players when they are being exceptionally rude.

We all have that option so there is no need for auto mute.

And last but definitely not least, welcome to the forums.

<4

then un-mute the people on your team… problem solved.

> > I guess this should actually be in the multiplayer forum, so I’m making a new thread there. Here is the link: http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/p/19654/150173.aspx#150173
> >
> > I don’t know how to link it through text, I’m still pretty new to this forum.
>
> Helpful Hints for New Members
>
> Halo Waypoint Forum Rules
>
> Fixed your link, and here’s some others that might be helpful. I agree with your idea. I think mute could possibly be abused and cause others to unjustly be mute banned.
>
> I like to give players the benefit of the doubt, and chose to keep my setting to all players. I only mute individual players when they are being exceptionally rude.
>
> We all have that option so there is no need for auto mute.
>
> And last but definitely not least, welcome to the forums.
>
> <4

Thanks! I missed the hints for new members post, so that’s helpful. I fixed the link :smiley:

It isn’t fair. I never trash talk at all and I don’t talk a lot (unless I’m playing with friends.)
I’ve been mute banned for over a month now. I can’t even talk to players in game chat in my own custom games!

> It isn’t fair. I never trash talk at all and I don’t talk a lot (unless I’m playing with friends.)
> I’ve been mute banned for over a month now. I can’t even talk to players in game chat in my own custom games!

I was thinking of you when I saw this. It sucks. I am not fully understanding why this would happen. I have played with you enough to know that you are not an obnoxious or rude player. The only thing is when we have played you are generally talking about things other than what is going on in the game. So maybe there have been some players that don’t like that.

I do hope that this can be changed for you soon. Have you tried to inquire with anyone at 343i about it?

<4

The only 343i employee I know of is BS Angel but I don’t think this would be within her domain. Plus I’m just one of over a hundred thousand players.

> The only 343i employee I know of is BS Angel but I don’t think this would be within her domain. Plus I’m just one of over a hundred thousand players.

Yeah but I don’t think it could hurt. I was one of thousands, and she has replied to a few of my inquiries. In fact she changed my forum name to match my gamertag when I changed it recently.

It’ll just be nice if you can join in on some of the playdates coming up and be able to use your mic. In fact the one on the 19th, aVeryEasyTarget requests that you have a working mic.

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask BS angel, besides I do actually wanna change my username here.

I think that the mute ban is a mistake of epic proportions.

First of all, you (as game developer) should NEVER give players the power to impair another player’s online experience in any shape of form. This power WILL get abused simply because it CAN be abused.

Secondly, I don’t want other players to have any influence at all over who I can hear and who I can’t hear. Even if it takes a 1,000 people to mute a player before he gets auto-muted, and no matter how much he deserves to be muted, I still want to decide for myself whether or not I mute him or not.