Auto Mute in Halo 4?

So as we all know, Reach has the auto mute system that if you get muted X amount of times then you will be muted from everyone for so long. That time ranges from what seems like 2-4 weeks or maybe even longer.

Now maybe everyone likes this implemented device but I know there are lots of people that just don’t want to hear anyone and mute everyone before the game starts. Also, I think everyone likes a good wholesome halo game but let’s be honest everyone from time to time likes to tell someone else that deserves it or not to eat -Yoink-.

Now I don’t go into a game and start trash talking everyone I rarely do it, but sometimes a heated debate or if someone is really annoying, well I am going to tell them how I feel… Then I come back to play the game the next day and I am muted… And I love playing with my mic so then I go play halo 3 till I am unmuted from Reach again.

I don’t know how accurate the auto mute is for people on Reach but sometimes it seems unfair. So I thought of some ways that might help tweak the system:

  1. A person is given a warning when they are about to be auto muted. Maybe they could have a a number scale somewhere in the game from like 1 to 10 and ten being the worst and if you get to ten then you are auto muted. That way you can look at this scale and be like, “Dang I am a 7? I guess I should cool down… I didnt know I was offending that many people.”

  2. When you are auto muted you should know how long you are muted for. So it would say that you have 2 weeks of auto muted left and think about what you have done.

  3. I also think that if you are auto muted then maybe there should be a “reason” page. Where you could go look and be like, “OK, I got auto muted because 10 people muted me in one game…”

Ok so maybe I went a little over board on this post but if you truly believe that you got auto muted for no good reason, then you might be glad if the tweaking of the system was implemented. I am saying this because I think I have gotten auto muted for just disagreeing with people in chats. I mean people get so offended these days over nothing.

Ok so for the people that might bash this post and you are more than welcome to, I have already considered a few counter responses:

“Wow dude, you must get muted a lot, maybe if you try not talking as much trash you wouldn’t get auto muted all the time.” - well I will admit that I have gotten auto muted a little more than my liking. But I have made sure to not trash talk people but somehow I still get auto muted from time to time.

“I love the auto mute system, it saves me the trouble of having to mute music mics, screeching noises, trash talkers.” - I understand all that but what if someone is having a bad mic day with screeches and such or echoing, is it really his/her fault and then get muted for like a month? I also know that if someone is playing and they are a kid they might get muted for just having a high pitched voice. What if someone has their music on but doesn’t know that everyone else can hear it, should they get muted for a month as well?

So in conclusion, I believe that if the tweaking was done to the system it would really help some people out. What do you guys think? You want auto mute in Halo 4?

You forgot that sometimes its the people you play with too. I had auto mute for that reason.

I’ve never been auto muted before, but I always un-mute them to see what they’re saying if they’re saying anything at all. There’s a lot of times when I un-mute them and their mic is screeching or something so truthfully i’m glad for this system.

Oh darn, you got muted. What ever shall you do. I personally couldn’t care less if I got muted. My feelings won’t get hurt if I’m muted for a few weeks.

I miss the old days of talking smack, fun-spirited, and then congratulating players at the end of the game, regardless of loss or win. Especially if it’s a close game. It seems nowadays, with all these internet try-hards that want to be pro, most people just talk -Yoink- and show no respect. I play with friends, not randoms, so I don’t really run into mute-ban problems and we usually run party chat so we can hold conversations without being interrupted mid sentence by a jagoff that wants to say something disrespectful.

Also, I play with my g.f. often and prefer the auto-mute b.c. even with the auto-mute we run into some of the filthiest, foul-mouthed people on the other team who just constantly try to belittle my girl. I don’t try to make friends in Halo anymore b.c. it’s not worth sitting through the constant filthy talk just to find that one normal person. So party chat most of the time anyways. I think the auto-mute is a good feature.

Doesnt phase me. I generally keep the mute option on. I’ve been sick of the hyper-vulgar, disrespectful scum that is xbox live members since the option was introduced in Halo 3 when the worst of the community showed itself.

> You seem like you could use a hug. Do you want a hug?

Very constructive post. Need a hug? How would my post make you think I needed a hug? I re-read it to see if I seemed depressed or something but I’m guessing you just wanted to try to be witty or something. I explained my encounters and things I’ve noticed in relation to mute-bans and party chat. Need a hug… you are the very type of person that makes me not want to post on these childish forums. I’m guessing another fool is going to say ‘you mad bro’ just to be cliche b.c. the internet is so creative. Intelligent debate goes here to die…

On topic: Still stand by my original post that, in summation, concludes that mute-bans are good to stop the foul mouthed remarks. But then again, I use party chat b.c. even the mute-bans don’t get all the foul mouthed kids.

EDIT: Didn’t even notice the thread starter was the one who posted that quote. I get it now. You’re overly sensitive. Poor lil fella. I didn’t mean to anger you b.c. I wouldn’t get butt-hurt, like you, if I got muted on Reach :frowning: I’ll be sure to mute you in H4 so you’ll go cry on another game.

> > You seem like you could use a hug. Do you want a hug?
>
> Very constructive post. Need a hug? How would my post make you think I needed a hug? I re-read it to see if I seemed depressed or something but I’m guessing you just wanted to try to be witty or something. I explained my encounters and things I’ve noticed in relation to mute-bans and party chat. Need a hug… you are the very type of person that makes me not want to post on these childish forums. I’m guessing another fool is going to say ‘you mad bro’ just to be cliche b.c. the internet is so creative. Intelligent debate goes here to die…
>
> On topic: Still stand by my original post that, in summation, concludes that mute-bans are good to stop the foul mouthed remarks. But then again, I use party chat b.c. even the mute-bans don’t get all the foul mouthed kids.
>
> EDIT: Didn’t even notice the thread starter was the one who posted that quote. I get it now. You’re overly sensitive. Poor lil fella. I didn’t mean to anger you b.c. I wouldn’t get butt-hurt, like you, if I got muted on Reach :frowning: I’ll be sure to mute you in H4 so you’ll go cry on another game.

I offer you a hug and you bash me? So touchy. This is exactly what I mean when people get offended so easy. I won’t be muting you though if we ever cross paths. I like heated debates.

When you offer up a topic and want an honest debate, then say something about giving someone a hug when they explain their thought process… I think it’s fair to assume you’re trying to be a dbag. If you weren’t and you just normally offer hugs in the middle of conversations then… well… weird?

I guess you don’t realize the connotations of asking a man for a hug when he’s trying to explain his thoughts. Try that in a bar with a stranger lol. I enjoy debates, love debates actually. But debates aren’t effective when in the middle of one, you say something unrelated to the topic. Get my point?

> When you offer up a topic and want an honest debate, then say something about giving someone a hug when they explain their thought process… I think it’s fair to assume you’re trying to be a dbag. If you weren’t and you just normally offer hugs in the middle of conversations then… well… weird?
>
> I guess you don’t realize the connotations of asking a man for a hug when he’s trying to explain his thoughts. Try that in a bar with a stranger lol. I enjoy debates, love debates actually. But debates aren’t effective when in the middle of one, you say something unrelated to the topic. Get my point?

YOU!!!

are right…

my bad

A lot of people just mute the entire enemy team so they don’t hear their callouts. The system can easily cause collateral damage and all it does is prevent people from having to spend 2 seconds muting any problematic people.

> A lot of people just mute the entire enemy team so they don’t hear their callouts. The system can easily cause collateral damage and all it does is prevent people from having to spend 2 seconds muting any problematic people.

tottally agree with that

usually the auto-mute is well deserved, but in the mlg playlist, everyone is auto-muted because teams mute each other frequently (i don’t know why they can’t just change the audio-voice settings in the menu…). this is incredibly annoying, especially for a playlist that requires alot of communication.

I think the auto mute system works perfectly fine right now.

No thanks, I’m perfectly capable of muting people myself. In fact, I take satisfaction in doing so. >:D

I usually have everyone muted with the Mute All option anyways. There’s no reason to police it like they do. Everyone can be a big boy or girl and mute for themselves.

I have always and will always play on TEAM AND PARTY

Its really the best for everyone

I hope that they do just get rid of it. I mean I thought I had some good ideas but it would probably just be better and more effective to just throw the whole thing out

> I hope that they do just get rid of it. I mean I thought I had some good ideas but it would probably just be better and more effective to just throw the whole thing out

The more I’ve read people’s responses the more I’m starting to believe maybe auto-mute is worthless and it should be taken out. And it does only take 1s to mute a fool, or you can be in party chat to not hear anyone, oooor you can change the audio settings to only hear team/party. Yeah, I think auto-mute should be taken out now.

I just hope that auto mute will not be in halo 4. I would like if 343 announced something about this or if they were the ones that created it in the first place if they think it is a great idea.