Auto Joining a Game Good or Bad?

Up until today while playing CTF I really thought that the auto join feature that Halo 4 implemented was a great Idea. Sure it may have been adapted from a game like COD but still, it really helps those of us out when a player backs out unexpectedly.

There are several downsides to this new feature however that I have come to realize, and I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

When a team drops out because they are being annihilated by their opponents, I have found out first hand that even a party of 4 players waiting in the lobby can be put straight into a game where there is no longer a team because the others dropped out (mom’s calling them for dinner, friend invite in another game, rage quitting). No matter what the circumstance, this can leave the game open with your new opponent only needing one more flag which they are currently holding at their base. While they do this, they bombard the new team (your party) with all of the maps power weapons and vehicles. I also imagine that this can be quite the problem for the solo gamer as well. This makes for a rather unpleasant gaming experience in my opinion.

What is even worse about this, is if you decide that you would just rather not put up with the shenanigans of this tomfoolery, it counts as a loss when you leave that late into a game even though you have just arrived towards the end.

I would not have taken my time to express my frustration with this particular prediciment if a party and myself did not experience this FIVE times in a row in the servers of CTF Infinity Chalenge in the last 24 hours. I honestly believe that 343 really needs too look into this.

If I may offer a solution myself: add a feature to the menu that allows a player to select whether or not they would like to join a game in progress or wait for a new fresh game. This would allow those people who don’t mind joining in a game late to help those who have recently lost their rage quitting comrades to still join, and those who want to play competitively not to lose faith in the game servers and their highly valued k/d.

Please consider changing this. It is absurd to force players in to a game that they are going to lose!

Its a tough one. I agree that JIP can be annoying…

…but I’m thinking back to Reach’s famous 8v2 hide and seek games. You know where two people quit before the game because they don’t like the map, one guy gets booted because he doesn’t get the sniper rifle and starts betraying. The resulting 8v5 scenario results in a lopsided game that makes three more people quit. Then for some reason there was always one or two guys who REFUSED to quit.

Overall, I would rather have the occasional unwinnable game than a return to 8v2 BTB games but I think given the choice, nobody would choose to be the guy who joins half way through so giving the choice would probably not work :frowning:

And see I agree with you for the most part. However, it gives your opponents the opportunity to camp the spawn of a new arriving team.

> Its a tough one. I agree that JIP can be annoying…
>
> …but I’m thinking back to Reach’s famous 8v2 hide and seek games. You know where two people quit before the game because they don’t like the map, one guy gets booted because he doesn’t get the sniper rifle and starts betraying. The resulting 8v5 scenario results in a lopsided game that makes three more people quit. Then for some reason there was always one or two guys who REFUSED to quit.
>
> Overall, I would rather have the occasional unwinnable game than a return to 8v2 BTB games but I think given the choice, nobody would choose to be the guy who joins half way through so giving the choice would probably not work :frowning:

That wasn’t just exclusive to Reach, it happened in every single Halo before 4.

One thing that does annoy me is when people quit in the loading screen and the game still starts 4v1. The team of 4 gains all the initial power weapons and power positions, then people join. Why not wait?

I like auto joining more than having 3 vs 8 BTB’s.
But one thing is annoying… I don’t like to join in a Infinity Slayer where enemy or my team has 590 score (10score more to win), thats just stupid :confused:

Eh.

It goes both ways and many times its as unpredictable as the Scattershot.

Lately though I have been joining games that are either almost finished or doomed to fail.

Bad it messes with your loss/win

I have entered games with 1 min left and our team is getting blown out.

Every time I see that I’m joining a game in progress, I pull my ethernet cable (because I don’t get the option to go back to the lobby after a certain point). I don’t care if my W/L ratio goes down to 0.00001, I’m not joining a game in progress anymore. This isn’t f***in’ Call of Duty…

JIP was intended for people who don’t care if they win or lose. It was intended for people who just want to quickly log into a game and earn points.

They should make a system that you can’t join a game that has a team loosing by x amount of points, so you don’t get put on a team that is down by 50 kills, but you can still join matches that are very close in score.

It’s a great feature in that it remedies one of the greatest complaints I saw in Reach: players quitting. When players quit, you’re either stuck fighting several people alone, or hunting down the one guy who refuses to quit. Which is aggravating. It also allows you to hop on and immediately join in a game with your friends if space permits, which I absolutely love!

However, it certainly requires a few tweaks:

• If the score gap is quite large, disallow JiP for that game. It’s irritating to join a game and being thrown onto the losing team when there isn’t a chance to win.
  • Disallow JiP if a game’s time is about to expire. For the same reasoning above, it’s quite aggravating when you join a game that’s just about to end!
  • Regicide. Sure, it can be fun to join a game when you’re several hundred points down, then come back to win it. But isn’t FFA supposed to be equal starts for all?
  • Give us an option that allows us to disable joining a game in progress. Some of us just want to play a game from the very beginning!

It’s clear that 343i is looking at these problems and are working to fix them, but there is still more to be done to fix the JiP system!

Join in Progress can be a good thing if done correctly.

Good Ex: Joining a match that recently started in less than a minute to keep the teams even up.

It can be a bad thing if done incorrectly.

Ex: Joining a Regicide match where the King is at 250 out 300 points.

Though I am very impartial when it comes to W/L ratios(especially since MM is proven to look for less than optimal matches in lower populated playlists than in populated playlists, 343, and any developer as a matter of fact, should always try to allow players to join in a match when necessary, instead of just throwing them in.

Also, I would like to have an option for JiP to be disabled, while at the same time allowing players to see what’s happening in the match and which team they will be in before joining. This way, players can join in with knowledge ahead of time instead of when they just joined.

Yeah, I just wish 343 gave us the option to choose weather or not we wanted to join a game in progress. there are lots of us out there that don’t care one way or another and then there are the people who want a fresh game. It would just be nice I think.