Atriox and Banished mentioned in Halo Wars 1

In the 1st Halo Wars, we get this scene between Regret and Ripa 'Moramee. Regret mentions the war against us will require more machines than they can muster, which Ripa says he will take what they have. Regret quickly retorts by saying “And leave us defenseless?!” For years, people wondered what Regret was talking about. Some argued the Flood’s possible return, but we now know. In the Halo Wars 2 trailer, it turns out while the Covenant was at war with us, they were also in conflict with Atriox and the Banished. Isabel says while the Covenant were close to wiping us out, they weren’t even close to ending Atriox and his forces. A fun tidbit I noticed, and cool we now know what Regret was speaking of.

Interesting theory.
While I do find that the link fits, I don’t thing Ensamble Studios were thinking this far ahead. Personally I think that he was referring to the potential result that Ripa’s forces would be lost and leave High Charity vounrable to retaliation by the Humans. This was only a few years into the war, the Covenant would have no real way of knowing how much of a threat Humanity could pose if they could amass their entire arsenal.
Sure their ships and tech were more advanced, but if they discovered that we had 10 times as many ships, we could have stood a chance through sheer numbers.

But good theory though.

> 2533274810945725;2:
> Interesting theory.
> While I do find that the link fits, I don’t thing Ensamble Studios were thinking this far ahead. Personally I think that he was referring to the potential result that Ripa’s forces would be lost and leave High Charity vounrable to retaliation by the Humans. This was only a few years into the war, the Covenant would have no real way of knowing how much of a threat Humanity could pose if they could amass their entire arsenal.
> Sure their ships and tech were more advanced, but if they discovered that we had 10 times as many ships, we could have stood a chance through sheer numbers.
>
> But good theory though.

Yes, tis’ a good theory, but a theory tis’ just. At the time that line was written it was made about Humanity, though 343 may try to retcon it to fit the Banished… because 343 loves retconing things they don’t need to.

I agree with the above, I don’t think this was planned as much as 343 would have us believe and my biggest issue with it is in 30 years of war a dozen books and other Lore material nothing is ever said or learned about a force that’s got to be as large if not larger than the original covenant.

not a big issue i just find it highly implausible that such a force could exist and be fought at the same time as humanity with not so much as a word about it being uttered.

> 2533274837720524;3:
> > 2533274810945725;2:
> > Interesting theory.
> > While I do find that the link fits, I don’t thing Ensamble Studios were thinking this far ahead. Personally I think that he was referring to the potential result that Ripa’s forces would be lost and leave High Charity vounrable to retaliation by the Humans. This was only a few years into the war, the Covenant would have no real way of knowing how much of a threat Humanity could pose if they could amass their entire arsenal.
> > Sure their ships and tech were more advanced, but if they discovered that we had 10 times as many ships, we could have stood a chance through sheer numbers.
> >
> > But good theory though.
>
> Yes, tis’ a good theory, but a theory tis’ just. At the time that line was written it was made about Humanity, though 343 may try to retcon it to fit the Banished… because 343 loves retconing things they don’t need to.

Saying that the Covenant were fighting this rebel group while fighting Humanity does not seem like a pointless retcon. I think it is pretty cool, and opens the door to some interesting stories.
But that’s just my opinion.

it would be interesting if they actually where referring to banished that early.

Well Regret didn’t name the threat so I would say he meant anyone who might attack them. Now we know that humans may have not been only opponent to Covenant. We don’t know if Banished already existed that early but since we now know there have been rebels there’s no way knowing how many other hostile factions other than humans Covenant has had. Though I like the idea of turning Regret’s line into a hint of Covenant fighting on two fronts.

> 2533274884096307;6:
> it would be interesting if they actually where referring to banished that early.

It’s quite possible there’s been a giant book of the Halo universes progression since Halo 1, like they knew eventually Chief would befriend a Sangheili character in 2001, they knew his story would end with him lost in space, they knew the Covenant would eventually be defeated, but as the games are being created that plot is being defined into a full story, and not just bullet points. It’s possible Bungie had a powerful Covenant rebel faction planned, but didn’t act on it until 343i did, now.

> 2533274840469109;1:
> In the 1st Halo Wars, we get this scene between Regret and Ripa 'Moramee. Regret mentions the war against us will require more machines than they can muster, which Ripa says he will take what they have. Regret quickly retorts by saying “And leave us defenseless?!” For years, people wondered what Regret was talking about. Some argued the Flood’s possible return, but we now know. In the Halo Wars 2 trailer, it turns out while the Covenant was at war with us, they were also in conflict with Atriox and the Banished. Isabel says while the Covenant were close to wiping us out, they weren’t even close to ending Atriox and his forces. A fun tidbit I noticed, and cool we now know what Regret was speaking of.

Not a hundred percent accurate,we don’t know how long the banished have been around for and halo wars takes place in 2531

Just to put this out there for you guys to speculate about, 343 did say that the Banished was mentioned in lore before Halo Wars 2. I can’t remember where or when they said it, just that they did.
Also there is, or was(it may be lost now that a few concept art sites went down), a bunch of art work for Halo Wars revolving around Covenant Heretics. so the idea of rogue Covenant faction(s) was atleast thought about by Ensamble Studios. Also they did have that Grunt rebellion in the unused DLC idea. The Banished could be a combination of these ideas.

> 2535458356653045;5:
> > 2533274837720524;3:
> > > 2533274810945725;2:
> > > Interesting theory.
> > > While I do find that the link fits, I don’t thing Ensamble Studios were thinking this far ahead. Personally I think that he was referring to the potential result that Ripa’s forces would be lost and leave High Charity vounrable to retaliation by the Humans. This was only a few years into the war, the Covenant would have no real way of knowing how much of a threat Humanity could pose if they could amass their entire arsenal.
> > > Sure their ships and tech were more advanced, but if they discovered that we had 10 times as many ships, we could have stood a chance through sheer numbers.
> > >
> > > But good theory though.
> >
> > Yes, tis’ a good theory, but a theory tis’ just. At the time that line was written it was made about Humanity, though 343 may try to retcon it to fit the Banished… because 343 loves retconing things they don’t need to.
>
> Saying that the Covenant were fighting this rebel group while fighting Humanity does not seem like a pointless retcon. I think it is pretty cool, and opens the door to some interesting stories.
> But that’s just my opinion.

I never said it was pointless, just unnecessary. It was so vague that it could easily be changed to “Yeah, Regret was talking about the Banished”. It shouldn’t be, but unfortunately it is all too possible.

> 2533274837720524;11:
> > 2535458356653045;5:
> > > 2533274837720524;3:
> > > > 2533274810945725;2:
> > > > Interesting theory.
> > > > While I do find that the link fits, I don’t thing Ensamble Studios were thinking this far ahead. Personally I think that he was referring to the potential result that Ripa’s forces would be lost and leave High Charity vounrable to retaliation by the Humans. This was only a few years into the war, the Covenant would have no real way of knowing how much of a threat Humanity could pose if they could amass their entire arsenal.
> > > > Sure their ships and tech were more advanced, but if they discovered that we had 10 times as many ships, we could have stood a chance through sheer numbers.
> > > >
> > > > But good theory though.
> > >
> > > Yes, tis’ a good theory, but a theory tis’ just. At the time that line was written it was made about Humanity, though 343 may try to retcon it to fit the Banished… because 343 loves retconing things they don’t need to.
> >
> > Saying that the Covenant were fighting this rebel group while fighting Humanity does not seem like a pointless retcon. I think it is pretty cool, and opens the door to some interesting stories.
> > But that’s just my opinion.
>
> I never said it was pointless, just unnecessary. It was so vague that it could easily be changed to “Yeah, Regret was talking about the Banished”. It shouldn’t be, but unfortunately it is all too possible.

I just don’t see why it is a negative thing to take advantage of a throwaway line to tell an interesting story, and give another layer to The War.

…but that’s just my opinion.

> 2533274829733449;8:
> > 2533274884096307;6:
> > it would be interesting if they actually where referring to banished that early.
>
> It’s quite possible there’s been a giant book of the Halo universes progression since Halo 1, like they knew eventually Chief would befriend a Sangheili character in 2001, they knew his story would end with him lost in space, they knew the Covenant would eventually be defeated, but as the games are being created that plot is being defined into a full story, and not just bullet points. It’s possible Bungie had a powerful Covenant rebel faction planned, but didn’t act on it until 343i did, now.

I hope it really is something they have been planning so they can really do a good job with the banished and their story

> 2535458356653045;12:
> > 2533274837720524;11:
> > > 2535458356653045;5:
> > > > 2533274837720524;3:
> > > > > 2533274810945725;2:
> > > > > Interesting theory.
> > > > > While I do find that the link fits, I don’t thing Ensamble Studios were thinking this far ahead. Personally I think that he was referring to the potential result that Ripa’s forces would be lost and leave High Charity vounrable to retaliation by the Humans. This was only a few years into the war, the Covenant would have no real way of knowing how much of a threat Humanity could pose if they could amass their entire arsenal.
> > > > > Sure their ships and tech were more advanced, but if they discovered that we had 10 times as many ships, we could have stood a chance through sheer numbers.
> > > > >
> > > > > But good theory though.
> > > >
> > > > Yes, tis’ a good theory, but a theory tis’ just. At the time that line was written it was made about Humanity, though 343 may try to retcon it to fit the Banished… because 343 loves retconing things they don’t need to.
> > >
> > > Saying that the Covenant were fighting this rebel group while fighting Humanity does not seem like a pointless retcon. I think it is pretty cool, and opens the door to some interesting stories.
> > > But that’s just my opinion.
> >
> > I never said it was pointless, just unnecessary. It was so vague that it could easily be changed to “Yeah, Regret was talking about the Banished”. It shouldn’t be, but unfortunately it is all too possible.
>
> I just don’t see why it is a negative thing to take advantage of a throwaway line to tell an interesting story, and give another layer to The War.
>
> …but that’s just my opinion.

Because I’ve started to see the real world and development more than the Halo Universe when it comes to Halo, I see absolutely no reason to make that line of dialogue about a group that didn’t even exist at the time of writing. Now I will say that people are free to believe whatever they want, because I am 99.9% sure that that line will never be brought up again, except by fans. So if people want to think that’s what Regret was talking about, they can. Or people can be like me and still believe he was speaking of the Humans.

> 2533274836969644;4:
> I agree with the above, I don’t think this was planned as much as 343 would have us believe and my biggest issue with it is in 30 years of war a dozen books and other Lore material nothing is ever said or learned about a force that’s got to be as large if not larger than the original covenant.
>
> not a big issue i just find it highly implausible that such a force could exist and be fought at the same time as humanity with not so much as a word about it being uttered.

I agree with you. The main problem is not the existence of the banished, rogue factions splintered off an 4 millennia old empire is to be expected, by the size and strength of their forces. The AI in the latest trailer made it sound like atriox and his forces were effortlessly Yoinking! on the covenant in direct confrontations and the covenant, with it all its resources and strength, “werent even close” to defeating atriox. Of course it could just be 343 hyping up the banished and they were in reality a more of minor guerilla rebels that did hit and run tactics on the covenant empire because they didn’t have any strength to meet them in direct confrontation. Only until after the covenant dissolved did they gain significant power and become a force to be reckoned with that we see in Halo Wars 2. This would be much more realistic.

> 2535452250728209;15:
> > 2533274836969644;4:
> > I agree with the above, I don’t think this was planned as much as 343 would have us believe and my biggest issue with it is in 30 years of war a dozen books and other Lore material nothing is ever said or learned about a force that’s got to be as large if not larger than the original covenant.
> >
> > not a big issue i just find it highly implausible that such a force could exist and be fought at the same time as humanity with not so much as a word about it being uttered.
>
> I agree with you. The main problem is not the existence of the banished, rogue factions splintered off an 4 millennia old empire is to be expected, by the size and strength of their forces. The AI in the latest trailer made it sound like atriox and his forces were effortlessly Yoinking! on the covenant in direct confrontations and the covenant, with it all its resources and strength, “werent even close” to defeating atriox. Of course it could just be 343 hyping up the banished and they were in reality a more of minor guerilla rebels that did hit and run tactics on the covenant empire because they didn’t have any strength to meet them in direct confrontation. Only until after the covenant dissolved did they gain significant power and become a force to be reckoned with that we see in Halo Wars 2. This would be much more realistic.

I thought the Prophet of Truth made that very clear, that an unidentified faction and their ability to bring harm on the Covenant’s Core Worlds was of immediate concern over the crusade against humanity - hence why fleets were always staying behind to guard Covenant Space and High Charity. That speaks a lot of how feared (and limited in resources) they are, compared to “puny” humanity - the Covenant couldn’t even wipe out the major dissenters within their own borders.

Lol, the Banished are experts in gorilla warfare (get it? Cause jiralhanae look like primates :stuck_out_tongue: ).

> 2535458356653045;12:
> > 2533274837720524;11:
> > > 2535458356653045;5:
> > > > 2533274837720524;3:
> > > > > 2533274810945725;2:
> > > > > Interesting theory.
> > > > > While I do find that the link fits, I don’t thing Ensamble Studios were thinking this far ahead. Personally I think that he was referring to the potential result that Ripa’s forces would be lost and leave High Charity vounrable to retaliation by the Humans. This was only a few years into the war, the Covenant would have no real way of knowing how much of a threat Humanity could pose if they could amass their entire arsenal.
> > > > > Sure their ships and tech were more advanced, but if they discovered that we had 10 times as many ships, we could have stood a chance through sheer numbers.
> > > > >
> > > > > But good theory though.
> > > >
> > > > Yes, tis’ a good theory, but a theory tis’ just. At the time that line was written it was made about Humanity, though 343 may try to retcon it to fit the Banished… because 343 loves retconing things they don’t need to.
> > >
> > > Saying that the Covenant were fighting this rebel group while fighting Humanity does not seem like a pointless retcon. I think it is pretty cool, and opens the door to some interesting stories.
> > > But that’s just my opinion.
> >
> > I never said it was pointless, just unnecessary. It was so vague that it could easily be changed to “Yeah, Regret was talking about the Banished”. It shouldn’t be, but unfortunately it is all too possible.
>
> I just don’t see why it is a negative thing to take advantage of a throwaway line to tell an interesting story, and give another layer to The War.
>
> …but that’s just my opinion.

Shrugs Ensemble Studios was just following Eric Nylund’s lead. In case no one here remembers, Ghosts of Onyx had hinted towards the existence of another civilization (not insurgent group like the Banished are) or group of powerful entities (rivaling the size and scope) that had demanded a majority of the Covenant’s attention and military power, hence the reason that humanity wasn’t destroyed so early on, as the Covenant couldn’t afford to spare more resources towards pacifying the human race, as the Covenant were fighting on more then one front.

That was of course, back before Halo 3 even came out…

To those who have brought it up, I agree. No, I don’t think 343 had planned this far ahead when Halo Wars 1 came out. I think they had that throw-away line in the 1st game. Now that we have this info, the line makes way more sense now. That’s what I love big franchises like this, random, throw-away lines can have meaning later on down the franchise. Yeah they didn’t have it planned in 2009, but now it fits perfectly.

No… He was never really mentioned before at all. I highly doubt they were thinking of Atriox with that statement. If they were such a big freaking deal before the schism I highly doubt the brutes would have gotten where they were. Most likely the covenant had more pressing concerns. I suppose he could be what was “hinted” at in Ghosts as the above guy mentions, but again looking at the political events it makes almost no sense that brutes were politically viable.

Either way he was never really a true threat in-till after the schism.

> 2533274925892496;18:
> No… He was never really mentioned before at all. I highly doubt they were thinking of Atriox with that statement. If they were such a big freaking deal before the schism I highly doubt the brutes would have gotten where they were. Most likely the covenant had more pressing concerns. I suppose he could be what was “hinted” at in Ghosts as the above guy mentions, but again looking at the political events it makes almost no sense that brutes were politically viable.
>
> Either way he was never really a true threat in-till after the schism.

Just mentioned that above