ATLAS-like technology to detect AFK'ers?

DavidJCobb & The Little Moa had a great idea earlier, which has the potential to address AFK’er issues, without affecting poor players, who sometimes get caught under automated processes.

The idea is simple, use the technology that ATLAS brought to Reach, in Halo 4, but not as a means of stat tracking, but as a means of the server detecting (and booting?) AFK’ers.

It would be so simple, the server would track a lot of randomly selected players (or each player after a certain (random) number of games. Check if they are AFK’ing, and then let the banhammer do the rest.

The only issue I can think of is the server stress, but with a few nifty algorithms for detecting AFK’ers, I think this technology would be awesome.

Glad you saw a use for those Tweets, mate. I may as well repeat two of them here:

Far’s I can tell, the bulk of ATLAS’ work is done server-side. If it’s possible at all, they could do AFK tracking without–
–needing to update the client-side app that actually is used by the end user.

So this is something they could tackle without even having to modify the app itself. Hell, they may even be able to demo it in Reach if they decide to give it a try.

this would be excellent if implemented. i’m sure it would raise its usage quite a bit as well.

> DavidJCobb & The Little Moa had a great idea earlier, which has the potential to address AFK’er issues, without affecting poor players, who sometimes get caught under automated processes.
>
> The idea is simple, use the technology that ATLAS brought to Reach, in Halo 4, but not as a means of stat tracking, but as a means of the server detecting (and booting?) AFK’ers.
>
> It would be so simple, the server would track a lot of randomly selected players (or each player after a certain (random) number of games. Check if they are AFK’ing, and then let the banhammer do the rest.
>
> The only issue I can think of is the server stress, but with a few nifty algorithms for detecting AFK’ers, I think this technology would be awesome.

That is by far the best idea i’ve heard for booting AFK’ers. It would be able to detect over just a few maybe two or three games and then remove them and give a warning the first time and if another offense within 48 hours a ban. Thank’s all I ever hear is bad ideas for booting this one is good for a change. Please take note 343!