At what point does ranked stop front-loading your progression?

I keep hearing horror stories of people winning x number of games in a row, and their rank barely moving, then losing one and dropping several points or even to the previous rank.

When does this start to happen? I’m in diamond now and my rank still doesn’t move an inch when I lose games, but climbs between 1/2 and 1/3 of the way to the next tier when I win. It’s like all my losses are forgiven. And I lose a LOT, since I play in a full squad with less skilled players, sometimes we win 1 or 2 games a play session, but my rank keeps doing the same thing, climbing rapidly when I win and staying where it’s at when I lose.

If it stays front loaded all the way into Onyx, how is anyone supposed to NOT eventually hit Onyx?

Is it doing this because it’s still trying to get me up to my actual skill level, and then I will start seeing the opposite happen when I get past my actual level? Does that mean all the people complaining about back-loaded rank progress are actually at their real level, so they are being pushed back to it every time they lose?