Asymmetric Gameplay in Halo | FPS meets RTS

I’m not referring to asymmetric gameplay the way we know it. I’m not referring to maps and not referring to certain gametypes like one flag or bomb. So then what the hell is asymmetric gameplay? Basically, “asymmetric gameplay” means “two players will have separate experiences as they play together.” In other words, think commander mode in Battlefield or Natural Selection 2 where the gameplay consists of both an FPS and an RTS.

Now how does Halo come into this?

The way that Bungie would describe forge in Halo at times was that both teams had one monitor and that monitor would spawn in weapons, vehicles, cover, etc for their team while also having a birds eye view of the map. Why not make that now?

Sitri and I have been talking in trying to see how this gamemode could be a possibility:
-4v4 plus each team has it’s own monitor
-Each team has it’s own small budget
-No loadouts
-Very limited on what you can spawn(could be dependent on what map you are playing on) and how much of each item you can spawn. Multiple starting weapons. Possibly only being able to spawn one power weapon at a time.
-Ability to spawn in AAs, vehicles, and cover pieces. Cover pieces won’t be like in forge where you can splatter people. They will be “ghost” pieces until they are placed on the ground.
-Possibly pre spawned weapons on the map.
-For weapons to be called in, you need to place an Ordinance marker and wait for them to drop. Different times for each weapon. Vehicles could be flown in by pelican.
-Monitor can be killed. Hard to kill though. Will be on a 10 second respawn at the least. Could promote the other team to push while the other doesn’t have a monitor to help them.
-To fit in the whole MP is canon side. The UNSC had reverse engineered a monitor to use as a drone of sorts.

There is obviously other features that could be added. By the way it could be setup every gametype can have it’s own Asymmetric Gameplay mode. The resources are already there. It’s just a matter of cutting some stuff and adding a few extra things.

I don’t see it as being a super-competitive game, but it could definitely be balanced and played as a proper game mode and be fun.

Perhaps it could be round-based, and give a limited amount of budget per round that is non-refundable. Similar to Counter Strike, the budget would need to be earned by the team.

I actually want to try and do this later in Halo 4, record it, and show it off just to see how people would react to it.

If this was a separate playlist and wouldn’t affect any other games modes, I love this idea. Something new and fresh!

> If this was a separate playlist and wouldn’t affect any other games modes, I love this idea. Something new and fresh!

It could be something to where every gametype has this feature but its also it’s own gametype of its own if that makes sense.

Very late double post :confused:

Very cool idea! Could be very fun for a customs game night and would be very interesting to see in action.

> If this was a separate playlist and wouldn’t affect any other games modes, I love this idea. Something new and fresh!

I’d like it to be a sort of secondary gametype in the list, or as a toggle in the main gametype options.

Well if you could get it popular then it’ll definitely become a thing. Think of how Halo 2 made Zombies popular or how Halo 4 modders made mini slayer popular. Both of these were eventually added into the game by the developers.

Your gametype actually sounds really interesting.

> Well if you could get it popular then it’ll definitely become a thing. Think of how Halo 2 made Zombies popular or how Halo 4 modders made mini slayer popular. Both of these were eventually added into the game by the developers.
>
> Your gametype actually sounds really interesting.

I really want to try and get some friends together just to try this out with what we now really soon.

If it ends up being a success I’ll try to post a video.