Assists

does anyone know how the game registers an assist? i have not been able to figure it out. i would like to work on the commendations for this but everything seems inconsistent to me.
i had more assists in a campaign game driving a warthog with an AI gunner and a friend using the revenant than i did using EMP or a DMR to drop shields and him shooting the elite. FF games boggles my mind for assists.
Any tips or working knowledge would be appreciated.

An assist medal is awarded if you deal at least 40% of the damage against an enemy but do not kill the enemy. I believe there is also a certain window of time that someone other than yourself has to kill the enemy after you have inflicted the damage.
I have found if you use the needler in FF that you are awarded assists more readily. Hope that helps.

thank you. 40% damage would explain why i never received assists for dropping elites shields then having someone headshot them. i will try the needler in the future.
still scratching my head as to how, as the driver of a warthog, i get an assist spree in campaign with an AI shooting and a friend doing the killing with a wraith that he hijacked. ( i was wrong about it being the revenant)

I’ve noticed that in Reach you are rewarded for driving your AI around by actually receiving credit for the kill that your gunner produces. This should be the reason that you’re picking up assists while driving the AI around.

> I’ve noticed that in Reach you are rewarded for driving your AI around by actually receiving credit for the kill that your gunner produces. This should be the reason that you’re picking up assists while driving the AI around.

That makes sense, sort of. it almost feels like cheating. i get wheelman assist medals for the AI kills and i get regular assists if he damages the enemy and a buddy finishes them off while i sit in the driver seat and try to avoid getting shot too much. Regardless i will take them anyway i can get them. thanks.